Best ISO for least noise in night shots?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

GainesJohnson

PostSat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 pm

I have the OLDER model BMPC Camera and a fast lens with a 0.95 Iris max opening, which I will be using for some night photography. My biggest concern is minimizing the video noise in the black if I use too high of an ISO setting on the camera. Can anyone tell me the recommended highest camera ISO setting to use on this particular camera model for keeping the video noise floor down below the black threshold? If there is a recognized normal working ISO setting for night filming from other user's experience, that works well and minimizes the background video signal noise, I would like to know that.
Thank you in advance.

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 5:52 pm

I don’t have that camera but lowlight tests I’ve done with the 4.6K sensor get better results shooting with the native ISO and pushing in post. Native ISO for your 4K sensor is 400. Native in the 4.6K sensor is 800.

I recommend you do your own tests using ISO 400 and 800 before the shoot.

Neither of our cameras would be described as lowlight cameras. Are you going to pickup a Pocket4K which has a native ISO of 3200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

Re: Best ISO for least noise in night shots?

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 pm

GainesJohnson wrote:I have the OLDER model BMPC Camera

You might want to confirm which camera you're talking about: the Blackmagic Production Camera (BMPC) or the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (BMPCC). The intialisms are pretty similar and this has led to some confusion in the past where people think you're talking about one camera but you're actually talking about another.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

carlomacchiavello

Re: Best ISO for least noise in night shots?

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 6:18 pm

if you can, shoot raw, best to avoid problems with iso, shoot with bmpc4k 400 iso, bmpcc 800 iso like native sensor sensitivity, then in post you can try to up a bit the light on high and midtone part of picture, don't try to raise shadow or you enhance only rubbish from shadow.
there are many techniques to up low light shooting, but the best is to not try to move up a too low light shooting, best is to shoot in raw, this allow you to grab every bit of data from sensors.

rick.lang

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Brad is right, I assumed the Blackmagic Production Camera which has the 4K sensor. Carlo has the bases covered though. Absolutely recommend capture in raw when the shoot will be challenging. You can use the Resolve / Colour / raw tab to make some adjustments, primarily to temperature and tint, then primary and secondary adjustments, and then temporal noise reduction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography