Black Magic Micro Studio signal loss

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

mollymillions

Black Magic Micro Studio signal loss

PostMon Jul 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi all,

Have a rig consisting of 14 BMMS cameras recording through 25' SDI to Atomos Shogun Flames, all triggered by external time code generator as well as genlocked through a Black Magic Sync generator. We are recording for hours at a time.

I am having issues with the cameras dropping signal in the middle of recording, or having the entire signal shift by multiple lines of pixels. The only way to fix the shift is to disconnect and reconnect the BNC. In the case of dropped signal, I have the recorder cut up the recording into multiple clips. The only saving grace is that the time code is consistent so I can later resync.

Anyone encountered this problem? Have switched out a camera body, but it's not always the same camera. Have switched out cables, and our SDIs are only 25' so I doubt that's an issue.

Next step seems to be adding a reclocker into the line, but at 14 cameras with one reclocking DA per camera that gets expensive. Hoping someone has a quicker solution!

Thanks

Kristian Lam

Blackmagic Design

Re: Black Magic Micro Studio signal loss

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 12:21 am

Hi,

It's not something we have encountered before.

mollymillions wrote:I am having issues with the cameras dropping signal in the middle of recording, or having the entire signal shift by multiple lines of pixels.

Would you happen to have a recording or screen grab of this you can send me?

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 9:02 am

Two thoughts:
Could it be heat? What's the temperature in your studio? You could do a test recording with some vents blowing cool air to the cameras.

Could it be power fluctuations? How do you power the cameras? 14 cameras is a lot and when recording for hours I guess you are not using batteries. Could it be that you are having them one power circuit?
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Howard Roll

PostTue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 pm

How are you distributing sync/BB/TLS to the cameras? That would be the first place I'd check.

Return to Cinematography