Lenses

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Fran Tormo

Lenses

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

Hello again
Almost with my foot on the plane to go to a well deserved vacations!
I got several questions, mostly to start with it in September.
I´m planing to buy a kit of SLR magic APO Hyperprime here in Europe
If I´m not wrong there is a 25mm, 35mm 50mm and 85mm.....but they are working on 135mm too, is it right?
Do you recomend me a trusty place here in Europe. Maybe Proactive uk, I don´t know, it is the only one that I heard about.
There is one thing that annoy me with my setup, but I don´t know if it´s fixable. I got a VIV bright tangerine
matebox and when I put short lenses, for example canon FD o 50 Zeiss ZF the EVF come in the way of the matte box and is imposible to get it closer to the lens....did you find that problem? Maybe rating the viewfinder with a plate can give the extra mm put the matte box in the right spot.

Another problem I looking forward to resolve is how to connect a monitor or the Teradek when using the SSD
Last time a rented Cfast cards, but maybe there is something I did´n thought, like a HDSDI T conector or anything.....

Thanks a lot in advance!
Good holidays to everybody out there!
Last edited by Fran Tormo on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

Re: Lenses

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 3:38 pm

Fran Tormo wrote:Another problem I looking forward to resolve is how to connect a monitor or the Teradek when using the SSD
Last time a rented Cfast cards, but maybe there is something I did´n thought, like a HDSDI T conector or anything.....
Would not work!! The SSD opens up a Data setup between camera and SSD which is not SDI video at all. ;)

It is this simple. When you use the SSD drive. You lose the Back port. And are left with the EVF output.
Which could be used with all data turned off. But then you have no reference for yourself anymore.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rick.lang

Lenses

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Fran Tormo wrote:... I´m planing to buy a kit of SLR magic APO Hyperprime here in Europe

You can also order directly; just send your request to support@slrmagic.com and you can pay via PayPal.

If I´m not wrong there is a 25mm, 35mm 50mm and 85mm.....but they are working on 135mm too, is it right?

Current set is 25mm, 50mm, and 85mm. The 32mm will be available shortly as final testing is underway I believe. There will be a 135mm and an 18mm. The 18mm may be T2.8 rather than T2.1 if they choose to keep the lens housing the same. There is no date yet for availability and no prototypes have been shown to the public.

... I got a VIV bright tangerine matebox and when I put short lenses, for example canon FD o 50 Zeiss ZF the EVF come in the way of the matte box and is imposible to get it closer to the lens....did you find that problem?

I always shoot with the Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom with top flag and have no issue with my BM Viewfinder. I optionally mount screw-in filters on the APO lens (SLR Magic Image Enhancer ND or IE Pro and Vari-ND) and/or rectangular filters in the matte box (4mm Schneider IR Cut 715 and NiSi Nano IRND).

Another problem I looking forward to resolve is how to connect a monitor or the Teradek when using the SSD...

I don’t recommend going that route if you have the BM Viewfinder already using the front HD SDI port. I believe there is a way to split that front SDI but I haven’t had any experience with that. Better to use the rear 12G SDI. Better to use CFast 2 cards for recording media when you need to feed other devices from the SDI. CFast 2 is still pricey but your best choice. For someone not needing to use the 12G SDI ports, SSD is a great option.

Enjoy your holiday!
Rick Lang

Fran Tormo

PostTue Jul 31, 2018 6:29 pm

`.....I always shoot with the Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom with top flag and have no issue with my BM Viewfinder. I optionally mount screw-in filters on the APO lens (SLR Magic Image Enhancer ND or IE Pro and Vari-ND) and/or rectangular filters in the matte box (4mm Schneider IR Cut 715 and NiSi Nano IRND)...

Sure, the VIV is bigger, maybe too much, probably the Misfit would have been more suitable! With the SLR APO it won´t be a problem at all!
I will invest in Cfast cards, better to be ready for those kind of situations when you need Teradek.
Thanks guys!
Good Holidays too!!

rick.lang

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 5:50 pm

The VIV is a more capable full feature matte box but I love having the Misfit Atom since it’s so light. I haven’t actually weighed them, but it feels like two of my 4mm filters weigh more that the Atom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 5:57 pm

They probably do Rick!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Fran Tormo

PostWed Aug 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Yes! I bought VIV thinking in future proof, but I would love to have something lees bulky!
You never can have everything!! hehehe

Return to Cinematography