URSA Mini Pro "broken Top Body"

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Nelson Villamil

URSA Mini Pro "broken Top Body"

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi.

I just wanted to share some images with a URSA Mini Pro that came to my hands.

Also, from the lack of care, it could also be:

- Design "error" ??

- Failure /Quality in the metal / material ???
Attachments
UMP_3.jpg
UMP_3.jpg (985.92 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
UMP_2.jpg
UMP_2.jpg (640.74 KiB) Viewed 2009 times
UMP_1.jpg
UMP_1.jpg (988.98 KiB) Viewed 2009 times

rick.lang

Re: URSA Mini Pro "broken Top Body"

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Nelson Villamil wrote:Hi.

I just wanted to share some images with a URSA Mini Pro that came to my hands...

Nelson, there’s a story that you’re not sharing. Until we hear the story, there’s no need for any additional comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Nelson Villamil

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi Rick

Thanks

I do not have the complete story,

Just a client (mine) , who received the camera it after renting and he wanted me to see and check the camera.

I just want to know opinions

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 6:02 pm

Looks like,the camera either took a direct top hit, or was more likely dropped on its top. The ccs stings holding thr top plate are sheared off, and the black screen under has paint off, indicating a downward pressure hitting it also. Any damage to the internal bits? Camera still working?

Given the tip plate design, I would be careful about how much weight I bolted to the top of the Ursa Minis, given the cooling vents on top, hold the top plate in place. This is OK for its original purpose of holding the top handle and EVF in place, along with a normal size small shotgun mic, but not much else.

We know the case is brittle and does not like sudden hard strikes against it, like from falling. The side with the handle also can be crushed in, damaging the board behind it. The Ursa Mini/Pro is not the bullet proof ENG Betacams of the 70-90’s, with solid outer cases. They need to have some care exercised when using them.

Another lesson, never leave a rigged camera on a tripod unattended either, least the tripod takes a dive. I had this happen with a Sony ENG camera, the person watching the camera turned their back, and the tripod leg lock released, slowly toppling the camera over (almost like a slowmo shot), and allowed the camera to hit a concrete floor. The front of the top handle took the hit, broke the Talley light and screw mount. This turned out to be a $100 repair using used parts from eBay, Sony wanted $300 to repair it!
Camera functions were not hurt and we continued the shoot.

Thanks for sharing this “horror” story, some thing to be aware of when using the camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nelson Villamil

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Denny

Thanks for answering and telling us your story too.

YES, the camera works, (buttons and connectors)

Xtreemtec

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 6:52 pm

Denny Smith wrote:and the tripod leg lock released, slowly toppling the camera over (almost like a slowmo shot), and allowed the camera to hit a concrete floor. The front of the top handle took the hit, broke the Talley light and screw mount. This turned out to be a $100 repair

Lucky you.. I have seen the aftermath of ENG cams that made "THE NOSEDIVE"... :shock: :shock:

The lens just torpedo's inside the body.. And everything inside is just gone.. :cry: Explain that to the insurance company.. :lol:

These photos clearly look like it fell or toke a hard blow to the mount shearing off the metal.. This needed to be a pretty high impact.. :|
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

rick.lang

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Nelson Villamil wrote:Hi Rick

Thanks

I do not have the complete story,

Just a client (mine) , who received the camera it after renting and he wanted me to see and check the camera.

I just want to know opinions

Thanks for the background, Nelson! It appears to me that it fell on the top handle (steel) that shattered the magnesium body. Magnesium can be brittle. Glad it’s still operational.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

michaeldhead

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Nelson Villamil wrote:Hi.

- Design "error" ??

- Failure /Quality in the metal / material ???

Neither - user error causing a major fall.

Calling that design error is like saying a wrecked car is "design error" after the car hits a tree.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Nelson Villamil

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi Michael

Thanks for your review.

I just wanted to clarify, it was a question, I did NOT make a statement.

Before, I wrote, lack of care

Nelson Villamil

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:15 pm

Rick & Daniel

Thanks for your comments. (it's not my camera)

But, when I have more news, I will let you know, to close the horror story.

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:and the tripod leg lock released, slowly toppling the camera over (almost like a slowmo shot), and allowed the camera to hit a concrete floor. The front of the top handle took the hit, broke the Talley light and screw mount. This turned out to be a $100 repair

Lucky you.. I have seen the aftermath of ENG cams that made "THE NOSEDIVE"... :shock: :shock:

The lens just torpedo's inside the body.. And everything inside is just gone.. :cry: Explain that to the insurance company.. :lol:

These photos clearly look like it fell or toke a hard blow to the mount shearing off the metal.. This needed to be a pretty high impact.. :|

Yes, I was lucky, I was able to partially catch the camera from going Lens first.

I agree, the Ursa Pro took a hard hit to completely shear off the top plate like that. Hope the insurance covers the repair... :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Nelson Villamil

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Thanks to everyone who followed this Post.

Finally, the body of the camera was repaired by Blackmagic California

Returned to the client's hands, PERFECT

Thanks

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Who says BM does not offer good support? Glad you got it sorted. BM Calif. offers as good or better support than I have gotten from Nikon or Sony.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography