Capturing from BMPC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author
nightingale

Capturing from BMPC

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:19 am

Whats the bested value (Inexpensive) SSD portable capture device for the BMCC and The BMPC?
It seems the only way out the box is to capture from camera straight to a computer?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Capturing from BMPC

PostFri May 03, 2013 3:35 am

Do you mean a SSD dock/cradle so you can copy data from the SDD to a computer?

Is your computer a MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt port?

Or, a machine with a USB-3 port?

By "portable", do you mean the dock/cradle must be "bus powered" (gets its power from the computer)?

-

Trevor Zuck

PostFri May 03, 2013 6:02 am

nightingale wrote:Whats the bested value (Inexpensive) SSD portable capture device for the BMCC and The BMPC?
It seems the only way out the box is to capture from camera straight to a computer?

Put the SSD in the camera, you shoot it all up.
- TZ

Visual FX and Post Production Artist
Screenscape Studios

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostFri May 03, 2013 1:01 pm

nightingale wrote:Whats the bested value (Inexpensive) SSD portable capture device for the BMCC and The BMPC?

Which SSD should you buy?

Sandisk Extreme 240GB or 480GB. These are 2 of the most-reliable SSDs for use with the BMCC.

-

adamroberts

PostSat May 04, 2013 7:15 am

Have you looked at the manual? It explains it all.
Page 21: Accessing Clips
Page 22: Capturing from SDI

You can connect the SSD (from the camera) to your computer via any number of adaptors. SATA to USB3, SATA to eSATS, SATA to Thunderbolt, SATA to FireWire.
Last edited by adamroberts on Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

adamroberts

PostSat May 04, 2013 7:17 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Sandisk Extreme 240GB or 480GB. These are 2 of the most-reliable SSDs for use with the BMCC.

I've had dropped frames with the Sandisk Extreme 240GB when shooting RAW. It's perfect for ProRes tho.

The Sandisk Extreme 480GB has been flawless.

John Brawley

PostSat May 04, 2013 9:46 pm

adamroberts wrote:
Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Sandisk Extreme 240GB or 480GB. These are 2 of the most-reliable SSDs for use with the BMCC.

I've had dropped frames with the Sandisk Extreme 240GB when shooting RAW. It's perfect for ProRes tho.

The 240s have been very reliable for me. I have a few of them and use them daily and have never had dropped frames.

JB.
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

DGFilms

PostSat May 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Like any media storage you may get a bad one, but Sandisk Extreme has a very good record for reliability, But still no guarantee you will not get a defective one, Also these are being knocked off from China Buyer beware, use a reputable distributor or Authorized Reseller.

adamroberts

PostSun May 05, 2013 11:04 am

John Brawley wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

The 240s have been very reliable for me. I have a few of them and use them daily and have never had dropped frames.

JB.

That's interesting John.

I've only had the issue once. I was shooting a surf documentary in Cape Town 2 weeks ago and noticed the record light flash at me. I stopped the interview and swapped the drive thinking it might be nearly full.

When I checked the footage later I found I had 2 dropped frames in one take and another in an earlier take.

The drive was pretty full about 90%.

Was not an issue as I had loads of coverage for cut always and the later takes of the interview were better anyway.

Not had the issue any other time.

John Brawley

PostSun May 05, 2013 11:07 am

adamroberts wrote:

Was not an issue as I had loads of coverage for cut always and the later takes of the interview were better anyway.

90% full is an interesting number.

I'm sure I've hear that SSD's slow down as they get full. Maybe it's just urban mythology. But those SanDisks seem mighty reliable.

jb
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

adamroberts

PostSun May 05, 2013 11:17 am

John Brawley wrote:
adamroberts wrote:

90% full is an interesting number.

I'm sure I've hear that SSD's slow down as they get full. Maybe it's just urban mythology. But those SanDisks seem mighty reliable.

jb

Yeah. Up until that point I've not had any issues. Shooting for over 4mth now and only had dropped frames on that day. I think the fact that is was so full must have been a contributing factor.

Would not normally run a card or drive until it was that full.

Will be a real help when Blackmagic add a display of remaining drive space to the firmware. :-)

Return to Cinematography