Replacing the DC-in on BMCC 2.5 MFT

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Bunk Timmer

Replacing the DC-in on BMCC 2.5 MFT

PostSat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Hi to you all, first post here.
Less then a year ago I bought a used BMCC 2.5 mft to compliment my bmpcc (also used). In short a camera without any warranty.
Not long ago the battery was being charged when I picked it up to take some shot ...forgetting the camera was being charged, ough! The camera was pulled back without pulling the plug out of the wall outlet. Apart from the fear I broke something all seemed to be fine at that moment ...not so a few weeks later. The 'DC- in' port no longer functions and I get a strong interference when using an external mic while trying to charge the camera at the same time. So the DC-in needs to be reconnected or replaced with a new one.
Since there is no warranty, I searched the net and found an instructional video by 'OneYearInThailand' on YouTube. He shows how to disassemble the BMCC. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CHwWHPM7k
For everyone else who wants to open the BMCC you need a torx 10, not the t9 mentioned in the video.

First thing I ran into is that the back of the camera was only hold into place with one(!) screw, instead of the four one would expect. Luckily they were really not there at all, as I feared the heads were snapped off, torx's being used and all. And no this has nothing to do with Chinese construction. I had a couple of windows made here in Holland and all torx screws holding the hinges were snapped off halfway. There is motivated people all over the world. So all I need to do is find a couple of new Torx screws in a hardware store ...no problem. The problem started when I tried to remove the print plate, The SDI port, being a bolt, is soldered to the print plate but also connected to the side of the camera with a nut. This is were I could use some advice.

The video of 'OneYearInThailand' skips the part of how to remove the print plate. It only shows how to place it back in, in very little detail, later on in the video. I can not think of any instrument that could be used to loosen the nut as the flat parts you can get grip on are literally pressed against the plastic part that surrounds the SDI port ...
SDI_outside.jpg
SDI_outside.jpg (42.98 KiB) Viewed 407 times

And then there is this nut on the inside.
SDI_inside.jpg
SDI_inside.jpg (60.13 KiB) Viewed 407 times
I suspect you have to fixate that with a plyer before trying to loose the outer nut. At least it looks like that is possible with pliers.

Any of of you BMCC owners ever dissembled their camera, and...
-Do you know what to use to remove the outer nut on the SDI port?
-Is it a correct assumption that the inner nut needs to be fixated with pliers of some sort before trying to rotate the outer nut?
-The four torx screws holding the print plate are removed already. Is there anything else beside the SDI port and the two connectors on top of the print plate that keeps me from removing the print plate?

I really appreciate any input and would be even more thankful if anyone of blackmagic design could chime in.

Thanks in advance,

bunk timmer

Bunk Timmer

Re: Replacing the DC-in on BMCC 2.5 MFT

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:25 am

Solved it.
Turns out the nut is there for cosmetic reasons. Plier with a long beak gives you enough grip to let you turn the nut bit by bit. After that removing the print plate is a piece of cake.
The board feels like concrete. Meaning everything soldered to it is there to stay. Like the sdi port, but also de dc-in. No way I could have damaged that ...then how come the battery isn't charged when connected to the 5.5mm dc plug? Could it possibly be the plug instead of the camera? Yes, it was that embarrassing. One of the soldered connections in the dc plug had come loose over time. Lesson learned always check the plug first before you start to take apart your camera ...but atleast I now know how to do that ...and it's fun, real fun ...and it gave me the chance to redistribute the screws. Removed one from the plate, one from the ssd housing, so the back plate is now connected with three screws instead of one. For that alone it was worth it.

Return to Cinematography