What's the max resolution I can shoot on UMP with UHS-II?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alex Garland

What's the max resolution I can shoot on UMP with UHS-II?

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Since CFast cards are so expensive, can I shoot at least 2K compressed raw on an SD card?

Mark Grgurev

Re: What's the max resolution I can shoot on UMP with UHS-II

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:52 pm

You can shoot 4.6K compressed RAW on UHS-II cards. As large as the media can consistently write at the required bitrate, you'll be fine. Even on the UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pros, you should be able to record 4:1 4K DCI at up to 25 fps. The Ursa Mini Pro also has dual-card recording which gives you the option to record all even frames on one card and all odd frames on another. Essentially, the two cards will act as if they were one card that's twice as big and twice as fast.

Alex Garland

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 3:57 pm

Mark Grgurev wrote:You can shoot 4.6K compressed RAW on UHS-II cards. As large as the media can consistently write at the required bitrate, you'll be fine. Even on the UHS-I Sandisk Extreme Pros, you should be able to record 4:1 4K DCI at up to 25 fps. The Ursa Mini Pro also has dual-card recording which gives you the option to record all even frames on one card and all odd frames on another. Essentially, the two cards will act as if they were one card that's twice as big and twice as fast.

Great, thanks. From what I've read online, most people were advising against SD cards.

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Alex Garland wrote:Great, thanks. From what I've read online, most people were advising against SD cards.

I've seen the same people say the same but they generally don't state any reasons. I have a feeling that it's just a peace of mind thing for them since Cfast cards faster and more durable.

If you're trying to save money though, been able to get my original BMPCC recording at bit-rate of about 81 MB/s on to Sandisk Extreme Pros. Since 4K DCI RAW 4:1 is about 76.8MB/s at 24fps, there's no reason to believe they won't work fine for that. I've even seen people using slower SD cards in dual card mode on the UMP who were able to record compressed RAW just fine.

Matt LaCorte

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 5:16 pm

I have used Lexar UHS-II cards to shoot compressed RAW, usually without a problem, but have had the recording stop a few times. It was hot out when that happened, not sure if that was a factor or not, but from my experience on SD I try to shoot ProRes LT or UHD just for that peace of mind.

Mark Grgurev

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Matt LaCorte wrote:I have used Lexar UHS-II cards to shoot compressed RAW, usually without a problem, but have had the recording stop a few times. It was hot out when that happened, not sure if that was a factor or not, but from my experience on SD I try to shoot ProRes LT or UHD just for that peace of mind.

Lexar's UHS-II cards have slower write speeds than SanDisk's UHS-I cards.

Return to Cinematography