BMPCC 4K ??

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CoreMuzicEnt

BMPCC 4K ??

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:26 pm

I've seen video after video from different people from NAB talking about the BMPCC 4k.. I've already pre-ordered mine, I currently use the first BMPCC with a Metabones Speedbooster and love it..but I'm baffled as to why there's no test footage showing the quality, or usage of the onboard LUTS, etc etc.. for the BMPCC 4k. It's great seeing the outside of the camera, but can I please see more in depth what it can do? It's like pre-ordering a new car.. at some point before you get it, you'd at least want to hear the engine roar.
((Shoot, send me the BMPCC 4k and I'll do plenty of test footage as well as promote it!! **I'm all about BlackMagic products and would never go anywhere else..))
Help me help you...
Has anyone else seen any solid test footage? I've searched and searched.. am I missing something?

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC 4K ??

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:34 pm

There isn’t any, BM had not released any footage yet...
Cherrs
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 4:35 pm

CoreMuzicEnt wrote:Has anyone else seen any solid test footage? I've searched and searched.. am I missing something?

You haven't missed anything except the other threads on this forum in which people are asking for the same thing.

It'll come eventually, along with the camera.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

CoreMuzicEnt

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 5:50 pm

Appreciate the feedback everybody.. Just makes me wonder what they're thinking. Me personally, I wouldn't have even taken it to NAB without having the complete power package.. footage, stills, etc.. I'm just overly excited about it so, I don't want anyone to think I'm talking crap.. I know the BMPCC 4k will no doubt knock out the competition.. don't just jab at them.. Knock the competition down completely. Make the non believers have no choice but to buy BM.. More clients, means more money, which means better products.. faster :D

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 pm

CoreMuzicEnt wrote:Appreciate the feedback everybody.. Just makes me wonder what they're thinking. Me personally, I wouldn't have even taken it to NAB without having the complete power package..

On the other hand they've already gotten so many preorders, they'd probably prefer to hold off on showing footage until the camera's released so they can keep up with demand and not create a 2-year waiting list. ;-)

On specs alone this camera's apparently selling well already. I'm not so convinced it'll "bury the competition," but that depends on how you define the competition. This is a cinema camera, and a lot of the DSLR crowd doesn't really understand cinema cameras -- with the original Pocket a lot of people bought it for the image quality and went back to DSLRs/mirrorless for the ease of use. Something similar could happen here, although the new Pocket addresses some of the key shortcomings of thee old one.
Last edited by Brad Hurley on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Giberti

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 pm

CoreMuzicEnt wrote:Something similar could happen here, although the new Pocket addresses some of the key shortcomings of thee old one.

Some of the issues? ;)
THey addressed all of the shortcomings and then added a list of features that pretty much puts it in a class by itself in small cameras.

Brad Hurley

PostWed Aug 15, 2018 8:58 pm

Jim Giberti wrote:
CoreMuzicEnt wrote:Something similar could happen here, although the new Pocket addresses some of the key shortcomings of thee old one.

Some of the issues? ;)
THey addressed all of the shortcomings and then added a list of features that pretty much puts it in a class by itself in small cameras.

I think we need to wait and see. Will the battery life be as long as advertised? It wasn't last time. Will the screen really be usable outdoors in bright sunlight? Probably but let's wait to hear from real-world users outdoors instead of inside convention centers. Yes it has better sensor, better screen, much improved interface, better microphones, better battery, etc., but I'd like to see reports from users putting it through its paces in real-world situations for at least 6 months before concluding that "all the shortcomings" have been addressed.

Things that people used to shooting video with DSLRs and mirrorless cameras might not realize they have to deal with are things like adding IR/UV filters, ND filters (diffraction becomes a problem on 4/3 sensors once you stop down past around f10.2, better than the original Pocket but this is not what people with full-frame sensors are used to), lack of in-body stabilization (okay if you're using lenses with OIS but if not you need a gimbal, a tripod, monopod, steadycam, etc.), and the need for external power depending on how the battery life really goes and how long you need to shoot. These are similar to realities that many people didn't expect with the original Pocket, which made it less viable as a run-gun-shoot camera than they were expecting.

Denny Smith

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 12:30 am

You need IR/UV and ND filters on a DSLR also... :roll:
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 6:54 pm

CoreMuzicEnt wrote:Just makes me wonder what they're thinking. Me personally, I wouldn't have even taken it to NAB without having the complete power package..

Grant got tired of being harangued about it. EVERYONE was asking about a successor to the Pocket apparently, so Grant finally just capitulated and decided to just show the prototypes at NAB to stem the flood of inquiries about it.

Paraphrased from what Grant actually said, obviously. He did make a comment about not wanting a repeat of the announce at NAB 201x and release at NAB 201x+1 fiascos.

More clients, means more money, which means better products.. faster :D

If only you know how much stuff BMD actually sells...

BMD is huge in the studio and live production world (and have you seen that monster new 4K, 8-camera live switching box?), and even makes some of the Avid Artist modules...
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Aug 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Denny Smith wrote:You need IR/UV and ND filters on a DSLR also... :roll:

right... try to shoot with gh5 vlog without ircut... or with a sony without correctly exposure and wb,
most of people that moan about noise problem of gh5 (underexposed), bad skintone of sony (badwb, bad exposure, bad log /light managment never studied sensors and light to understood how them work and how to use, like if they bought a point and click cameras...

too many people thought that if dslr and mirrorless have automode, is all simplier than cinema camera, but if you want to work seriously you need to take care almost 50% of dectails like cinema camera.

David Hessel

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 am

There are many possible reasons but based off past experience will with BM probably the camera is not ready and still has significant enough issues that they don't want to release any sample footage. Be prepared for a long wait just just in case.
David Hessel

Dan Keeble

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 am

I'm sure a 'promo' video of the new Pocket 4K is in the final stages of being finished right now, and it'll be shown on the day the camera is announced to be shipping next month.
www.flud.digital

carlomacchiavello

PostSat Aug 18, 2018 11:26 am

to be honest?
people not have enought patience.
the history tell us that new camera need times...
redone was announced two years before selling, but no one rumble about it, all happy to have when reasy
first alexa was released without audio in, one propres fullhd, no raw, no full sensor reading, one clip every three are corrupted, but no one rumble about it (i used first for a full feature lenght, a nightmare)

first bmd camera firmware 1.0, some limits, but allow me to shoot a full feature lenght without fault (42 hours of raw recording, two clip without audio... in the indie production and not only we call miracle

bmpcc4k announced, showed, but bmd tell us will send only september and internet are full of noise about problems, about limits, without using it, without see it directly, be cause most of people that told bad never see it live... guys... it's annoying..
why not talk bad about red 12k of 2020 releasing, why not talk bad about canon c600 that they release in 2021? why not talk bad about arri 6k of 2035? :D :D :D
please bmd talk about september shipping, that mean until october everyone talk bad about cameras are a "fuffa" boy
"fuffa" is a italian slang word to tell like vaporware in the old software days
if someone need today a camera, don't think that a new camera start and do a miracle. go out, pay xx.000 euros or dollars, buy a c200, an Eva, a c300, a fs7 mkii, cameras which are stable on market.
don't waste our time

Wayne Steven

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Can anybody tell me how many sales BM makes of a camera model compared to.the most popular action cam or stills?
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Return to Cinematography