Lens Choice question for new Pocket Cinema 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Sir Arne

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 2:47 am

Please forgive my limited knowledge here. I have been shooting stills professionally for decades now and very knowledgeable there but needing to branch into video. I did some video work pre-NLE so it has been a long time. I have preordered the new Pocket Cinema 4K and need to acquire some glass. I will be shooting high end Real Estate. Some of the work will be with the camera on a Ronin S gimbal, some tripod panning and some slider work. Looking at the Olympus 7-14 f/2.8 pro lens but wondering if a dedicated cine prime lens or lenses would be better? Comparing to the Rokinon 10mm T3.1 Cine DS, along with the Rokinon 16mm T2.2 Cine DS. It would appear that the Olympus is a lens maybe designed for a DSLR or mirrorless that will also work okay for video. Is there an advantage with a true cine lens besides the gearing for focus and aperture pulls?

Along that same line, I don't know that the Rokinon 10mm will be wide enough for my needs and looking at the Laowa 7.5mm F/2 lens. Going with the Laowa, I would have to fill in the longer focal lengths with something like the Rokinon's but now we are introducing different brands of glass and possibly different looks. I would love to hear some opinions out there. I have a bit of time until the Pocket Cinema will ship so hopefully with the help of this Forum, I can get the answers I need.

Uli Plank

Re: Lens Choice question for new Pocket Cinema 4K

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:00 pm

For architecture I'd not recommend electronic wide-angle zooms. They are automatically corrected for distortion in MFT cameras, but if the 4K pocket is like other BM cameras, it won't offer such correction.

If you don't desperately need to make rooms look huge, a lens as wide as 7.5mm might not be needed. Since you have experience with still photography: the 10mm Rokinon will look like close to 20mm on full frame stills cameras.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:07 pm

The 10mm SLR Magic would be a better choice than the Rok 10mm, less distortion, and well controlled lens issues, unlike the digital MFT wides, which are mostly electronically corrected in MFT Cameras. The only exception to this is the Panny Leica 12mm f/1.4, which is excellent, but not as wide as the 10mm, which on the new PC4K is closer to an 18mm on a full frame camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote:which on the new PC4K is closer to an 18mm on a full frame camera.

And you know I'm not going to say anything about your full frame comparison Denny :D

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks Jim, I was merely replying to Uli’s comment about the 10mm ROK AOV. 8-)
I have a confession to make, I have ore ordered a new “FF” Nikon V6, a GH5 on steroids, but not much bigger physically, complete with, dare I say, 5-axis IBIS! Had to have something to hang my Zeiss ZF lenses on. :roll:

But do not worry, I have the PC4K on preorder also. It will be interesting to compare the two, I know, not a real fair comparison, BM will undoubtedly best it I terms of IQ hands down.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jim Giberti

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 7:16 pm

Denny Smith wrote:But do not worry, I have the PC4K on preorder also. It will be interesting to compare the two, I know not a real fair comparison, BM will undoubtedly best it I terms of IQ hands down.

That's a comparison I'm anxious to see Denny.

I was really surprised by the new Nikon. Love the FF mirrorless breakthrough and I've got a ton of Nikon and nikon mount glass.
A bit dissapointed in the new mount and lens avail. It will be important to see how good the adapter works.

Look forward to hearing more. When do you expect delivery?

Denny Smith

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 9:22 pm

When they both get released, I am towards the top of the que.
I had the 1 Nikon system (still have the V1) and the FT1 adapter for it worked quite well with both vintage and new F ans FG lenses. The new FTZ is quite similar, and early reports indicate it works the same, equally good. This is a non optical adapter, just corrects the FFD for the Nikon F lens and provides the mechanical iris control and electronic connections. Older screw activitied AF lenses will not AF, the lens needs it’s own focus motor.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sir Arne

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 1:31 am

Thank you to those who have replied and helping to assist me. From what I am reading it would seem that the electronic zooms, such as the Olympus I was considering is not my best option. I am familiar with the brand name Rokinon, as they have been around for years. It was suggested that the SLR Magic lenses might be a better option as there is less distortion issues. I have never heard of this brand before, but this doesn't mean its not quality glass. Sorry but I hesitate to make a purchasing decision on just one opinion.

What is the consensus of SLR Magic as compared to the Rokinon focal length equivalent as to quality, customer service if there is an issue, etc. Again, opinions and observations from the BM community would be most appreciated.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:19 pm

Uli Plank wrote:For architecture I'd not recommend electronic wide-angle zooms. They are automatically corrected for distortion in MFT cameras, but if the 4K pocket is like other BM cameras, it won't offer such correction.

I *think* there are some rather nice tools for fixing this in Resolve 15. It might be a Fusion thing, but IIRC there are some dedicated tools in the new clean/fix OFX plugins. I haven't needed them yet, so I'm not sure.

If you don't desperately need to make rooms look huge, a lens as wide as 7.5mm might not be needed. Since you have experience with still photography: the 10mm Rokinon will look like close to 20mm on full frame stills cameras.

I used a 7-14mm lens on my Pocket for a while, and rarely used it wider than 14, even in Patagonia.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:31 pm

Sir Arne wrote:From what I am reading it would seem that the electronic zooms, such as the Olympus I was considering is not my best option.

It might be worth it to go to a camera store with your camera or something close and try them out. You might be pleasantly surprised, their image quality is stellar, and Panasonic has some with silent autofocus that are designed around film work.

I am familiar with the brand name Rokinon, as they have been around for years. It was suggested that the SLR Magic lenses might be a better option as there is less distortion issues. I have never heard of this brand before, but this doesn't mean its not quality glass. Sorry but I hesitate to make a purchasing decision on just one opinion.

The latest Rokinon lenses are quite good. I prefer the SLR Magic lenses, they have a look that compares VERY favorably with Zeiss cine lenses in terms of sharpness, but I prefer their color rendition; it's to my eye more alive, less clinical than the Zeiss CP.2 cine lenses.

You shouldn't apologize for wanting more than one opinion; you'd be pretty silly to spend money based only on one :)

What is the consensus of SLR Magic as compared to the Rokinon focal length equivalent as to quality, customer service if there is an issue, etc. Again, opinions and observations from the BM community would be most appreciated.

I shot my first feature film using one of SLR Magic's first cine lenses (12mm). No problems, no complaints... the director showed me a trailer that he cut for it recently, still holds up great. Shot on BMCC 2.5K + BMPCC. The newer SLR Magic lenses are definitely better operationally, and coatings have probably improved since then. The 12mm lens I had was pretty prone to flare if I wasn't careful, so I was just careful and cured the flare with a flag or two. The director ended up being that flag once... :)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Denny Smith

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 4:39 pm

You should also look at the new Olympus Pro f/1.2 prime lenses. Also the Panny Leica Primes are great, especially the 12mm and 42.5mm, but these are a bit more expensive. The PL 25mm is also very good, and compact to keep a lighter rig. The PL15mm is also small and light, as was a favorite on the original Pocket camera.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Carlos Garcia-Diaz

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 6:28 pm

The best lens is an individual choice. It’s the lens that supports your goals, what you shoot, how you shoot, and possibly for whom you shoot, not simply your budget. What lenses and camera mounts you already have may be a consideration too. Answer those seven factors and your lens will emerge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jim Giberti

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 7:08 pm

rick.lang wrote:Answer those seven factors and your lens will emerge.

Sounds mystical when you say it Rick.

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 29, 2018 9:27 pm

Yes, yes it does...
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 am

I sense a disturbance in the Force. I’ll get to work on the script for this satire tomorrow!

Rick Lang

jimyiapanis

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Since you’ll be doing gimbal work I’d start with an Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 or Panasonic Summilux 12mm f/1.4. Then perhaps add an SLR Magic cine lens down the track.

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 9:00 pm

The Panasonic Leica Summilux 12mm, is not a small or a light weight lens. But it has excellent IQ. Another smallermoption is also,the Panasonic Leica 15mm f/1.7 lens, it is small and light, just a tad bigger than the Oly 12mm f/2, but not as wide.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Oct 01, 2018 4:34 am

Perhaps let the deciding factor be the amount of distortion of these wide angle lenses. I would always lean toward the most rectilinear lens when going wide for video as camera movement can get uncomfortable when the image starts to look like a bad trip.

You want a lens that doesn’t rely on in-camera correction of aberrations since the BMPCC4K won’t do that. Some sites are quite good showing you the distortion with and without in-Camera correction.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography