Rules made to be broken: Tokina Cinema-ATX 11-20mm T2.9

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Rules made to be broken: Tokina Cinema-ATX 11-20mm T2.9

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 3:31 am

Marshall, the Tokina 11-20mm has threads for 86mm screw-on filters so I needed those. From the brief test I did, the ND1.2 looked excellent. I should do another test that includes the Kenko Tokina Cinema IRND 0.6 and 0.9.

I already had a complete set of SLR Magic 82mm IRND for the APO lenses. As I recall they were fairly consistent with some variation with the ND1.6. Nothing that couldn’t be managed. I’d certainly recommend them too as very good value for a ten filter set.

The Kenko Tokina cost more, but that may be attributed to their larger size.

I’m a fan of “bigger is better” because you can always use an 86mm filter on an 82mm thread, but the opposite may not be true. However when I bought the 82mm filters I had no idea I’d be buying a larger threaded lens like the Tokina. The front element isn’t huge in diameter but it’s awfully wide angle so they needed to go with 86mm to use it at 11mm!

If you stack another filter you lose 1 or 2mm of your wide angle if you’re shooting open gate 16:9 on the 4.6K. Or you can get away with shooting 4.6K 2.4:1 or UHD.

Of course when I use the 1.33x-65 Anamorphot, that takes 112mm filters! I don’t think I can afford screw-on filters for that so I’ll use the NiSi 4x5.65” IRND with the matte box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

Re: Rules made to be broken: Tokina Cinema-ATX 11-20mm T2.9

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 am

Good comment Rick. However, the Duclos Tokina 11-6 has a 80mm filter thread, but the 86mm will allow you to stack ore filters there, where the 80mm front only allows for one filter at a time, or two thin mount filters, without vignetting.

Marshall, as for comparing the two sets Rick has, I can only say, Rick gets good performance from both.
However, I have not tested either one, but I have tested the SLR Magic variable ND filter, and this works nicely with a slight warming effect. I mostly use NiSi IRNDs, Tiffen and Heliopan ND and Special Effect filters, like the ProMist and FX filters.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Marshall Harrington

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 7:26 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Always appreciate your informed comments and dry sense of humor... or was it wet and that is no reference to the weather both of you share in those wet and wonderful places in the world? Interesting that you went NiSi over Firecrest

Denny Smith

PostSat Jan 05, 2019 7:50 pm

Actually Marshall, I have a set of Firecrest in 77mm screw in, and the NiSi filters are 4x4 formthe matte box. Happy New Year
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Jan 24, 2019 8:14 pm

B&H Photo’s review of the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 PL zoom:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/vi ... 1AEBFE1AFF

Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 11:15 am

Hmm, this line makes me think about the qualification of the reviewer:
"Keep in mind the stills below were captured at T2.9 in a shaded location on an overcast day so, as you stop down in brighter conditions, any distortion will be minimized."
A lot of things improve when stopping down, but I never heard of any improvement of distortion!
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Robert Niessner

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Uli Plank wrote:Hmm, this line makes me think about the qualification of the reviewer:
"Keep in mind the stills below were captured at T2.9 in a shaded location on an overcast day so, as you stop down in brighter conditions, any distortion will be minimized."
A lot of things improve when stopping down, but I never heard of any improvement of distortion!

And the sample shots all look awful - I mean why would you post a screenshot for evaluation of lens performance of the convention center all motion blurred? And the colors... like the reviewer has shot for the first time with a camera and lens like this.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, the review does show the new Tokina lens will cover the larger MFT sensor without issues, if it can cover APS/C at all focal lengths FF (24x36) at 15-20mm. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Jan 25, 2019 6:22 pm

The thing that bothered me the most was that the review avoids shooting toward bright sunlight. As my posted videos illustrate, the lens will flare more than one might want unless the lens is carefully shaded. So it definitely requires a little more care than my APO primes. When shaded properly, the lens seems to be very good.

Of course there’s some barrel distortion at the wider angles but you’re not likely to select 11mm shooting architecture with a zoom lens on a Super 35 sensor. Using it on the BMPCC4K one will probably have a different impression.

Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography