Angenieux lens iris diplay issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Norbert von der Heidt

Angenieux lens iris diplay issue

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 7:20 am

Hi folks

I have put together a BMD Ursa Broadcast with an Angenieux 10x5.3 B4 lens today and all is great except the camera won't display the iris setting in manual iris mode but will show it in auto iris. When I power up it'll show an arbitrary f stop but it won' change n mater what you do with the iris manually. The lens has been tested with a Sony XD-cam and it is fine.

I can only assume that this may be a firmware issue as Angenieux isn't a big name in the ENG B4 lens world and BMD may not have written the OS to include it. Does that sound like a reasonable assumption?

If anyone from BMD HQ sees this and can give me an answer, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanx
Norbert
Last edited by Norbert von der Heidt on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES
www.electricimages.com.au

Xtreemtec

Re: Angenieux lens iris diplay issue

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 9:19 am

The F stop number is an analog voltage feed back to the camera. Measured and put into a number..

So failing this number to show is really a lens issue.. As Angenieux isn't supported for serial control.. So it takes analog control over the lens..

Might check with another B4 (Canon Fujinon) lens if your readout is ok.. If that fails too.. You might have an issue with your camera hardware.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 pm

Norbert, I have been looking at this lens also. How is the iris change in Auto mode, can you control it smoothly from the camera iris wheel? How is the IQ? I have been also looking at the Angie HR B4 lens, which is supposed to have better IQ.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Norbert von der Heidt

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi Denny

I did a quick registration test chart shot in both UHD and HD modes and then output the two frames through PS 5. The lens was fixed at f/4 for all shots.

You can download them from Dropbox as they are too big to attach here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eb5pi0blks8f ... faSJa?dl=0

Your interpretation of the results would be appreciated.

Cheers
Norbert
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Norbert, the backyard shot looks overexposed, but detail in the patio looks good. At a quick glance using my iPad, the HDmchart almost looks sharper than the UHD. But I will put them up on my big iMac and take a closer look later this morning.

I am picking up an Angenieux 12x5.3 AF/HR B4 Zoom later this month, would be interesting to compare the SD lens you have with the HR version WA zoom.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Norbert von der Heidt

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I am picking up an Angenieux 12x5.3 AF/HR B4 Zoom later this month, would be interesting to compare the SD lens you have with the HR version WA zoom.
Cheers

Just to correct you but it is an HD lens, big HD letters on the side of the doubler housing say so. The overexposed outdoor frame is the Prores HD version which didn't give me an latitude for grading. The UHD frame is RAW and though it started out over exposed as well, allowed me to dial it back to something more acceptable.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eb5pi0blks8f ... faSJa?dl=0

Cheers
Attachments
broadcast HD.jpg
broadcast HD.jpg (202.25 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 5:49 pm

Sorry, bad assumption in my part, glad you have the Gen 2 HD lens, a marvelous bit of work.
I have my WA Angie B4 Zoom coming this week, ended up getting a new one, instead of th used model, I was previously looking at. Mine is a Angie T12x5.3 B1ESM AIF HR (High Resolution) a variation of their Cine HR zooms, and it resolves above 50 lp/mm, with its 5.3 to 128mm, but it also has the X2 Converter for more reach.

Your second grade looks excellent, your exposure correction was nicely done.

What shoulder/tripod plate are you using, looks interesting.

Thanks for the update and correction ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Xtreemtec

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:34 pm

That is a LanParte one.. I rather prefer the Tilta version of that one.. Tilta VCT

Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 9:18 pm

Thanks Daniel, I agree the Tilta VCT looks like a little better construction and balance.
I also have been looking at Zacuto VCT should kit plate.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Norbert von der Heidt

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 12:10 am

Hi guys

It's the strangest thing with the Lanparte (paid $180 secondhand), the front 15mm rod mount adjustment riser doesn't have enough range to bring my Chrosziel mattbox up to my Mini's lens axis. There was no alignment issue when using it with the BMD shoulder mount, it was a perfect fit.
I don't understand their design but I'm stuck with it and it is serviceable for the Broadcast camera plus the 15mm rods provide a place to put a lens support in. The length of the Angenieux lens was a bit of a concern and I was having nightmares about it snapping off. Normal support cradles are of no use as the zoom housing blocks the way so I built a little lens support out of a spare 15mm dogbone and a long bolt that supports the lens just behind the focus ring. I'm hoping to find or build a locking pin to fit in the threaded hole in the bottom of the lens but this will do for now.
Attachments
lens support-v2.jpg
lens support-v2.jpg (95.26 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Norbert von der Heidt

ELECTRIC IMAGES

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 1:48 am

Yes, a long lens like thst needs support. On the shoulder, yiu are holding thenlens with the Servo unit grip.
On a tripod, a lens support is an excellent idea. The Angie WA B4 Zoom is much shorter, which is why I like it, and I need the WA 5.3 mm often.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography