Pocket 4K almost within reach

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Andy Coulthurst

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Denny Smith

Re: Pocket 4K almost within reach

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 7:08 pm

This is good, much better than the long delayed shipping UK experienced with some other recent BM camera releases.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Richard Carlson

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:33 am

UKDigital also showing September 10th as expected date of stock arrival.

https://www.ukdigital.co.uk/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k.html
Richard Carlson
BMPCC, BMPCC 4K
GH3,GH4,A7S,6D,LX100

Chris Whitten

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 7:51 am

I pre-ordered at CVP months ago. Haven't heard a thing from them, and they haven't updated me for a couple of months.
Chris Whitten

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 9:11 am

If you’re desperate, it’s worth calling around. I have a pre order already but was a long way down the list.

I called a different retailer and I’m number 10 on the list and should get one on first shipping...fingers crossed
Last edited by Gavin_c_clark on Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin_c_clark

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 pm

Just got an email to say my expected shipping date is the 10th, so I’m not going to start the inventory of the chickens just yet, and will keep my fingers crossed all weekend.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 6:13 pm

I was told shipments to North America are expected mid-September to late September. I’m in the first group to receive the camera with my vendor. Will be funny if the camera arrives here the Friday before the wedding. I’m shooting roughly all day Saturday the 22nd and no weekend deliveries in Canada. Will be a little sad if the camera arrives Monday the 24th or later, but I understand everyone is doing their best and we were only told “expect to be shipping in September” which is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Andy Coulthurst

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 6:44 am

And now cruelly denied. :cry:
Looks like Scan and UkDigital have changed to overdue/backordered. Not unexpected - I was expecting the release date tied to IBC.
I suspect ( no proof ) that the distributor ( Holden ) in the UK has stock , but is being told to hold until the announcement.

Gavin_c_clark

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:04 am

Not entirely unexpected. I’m remaining positive though- that status changed sometime between 11pm and 4am so likely an auto update rather than someone changing it manually. And the reseller I went with knew how many cameras they were due in on the 10th

You never know... fingers crossed and I won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen!

Chris Whitten

PostMon Sep 10, 2018 8:19 am

CVP last told me 'early September', so they really only have this week to stick to that.
Chris Whitten

Gavin_c_clark

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Just been told the reseller is expecting stock on the 28th.

So it might be a few weeks yet. Maybe the ursa turret might beat it to release :lol:

Andy Coulthurst

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 2:37 pm

Scan are now showing 3rd of October - well that went south quickly.

Que Thompson

PostTue Sep 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Anyone on Hot Rod Cameras pre-order list?

Rustam Babayev

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 5:09 pm

I preordered from HOTROD on 30 august and they answered me now about my order:

"We spoke to both Distribution and Blackmagic in the US this morning and there is still no confirmed release date. You are currently 58 on our preorder list, but we have no idea how many cameras Blackmagic will ship in the first batch. We have ordered plenty of cameras to cover all of our preorders if they ship our full order".

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm

That’s an impressive list for Hot Rod Cameras. And be glad you are 58th on the list before today’s announcement of BRAW from Grant.

A principal hesitation I had that delayed my preorder was that I just don’t shoot 10bit ProRes 422 HQ for the reasons Grant mentioned and its somewhat less flexible potential in post. I shoot 12bit raw 3:1 usually. That was what I decided I’d do with the Pocket4K so I ordered it.

With BRAW coming to the Pocket4K soon, forget about ProRes raw folks. Forget about ProRes in any form. Your acquisition data will be 12bit raw from uncompressed to compressed, regardless of whether you shoot with Film or Video or Extended Video metadata. Royalty free. Open to anyone. The world as we know it is changing once again.

Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 pm

rick.lang wrote:Forget about ProRes in any form. Your acquisition data will be 12bit raw from uncompressed to compressed, regardless of whether you shoot with Film or Video or Extended Video metadata. Royalty free. Open to anyone. The world as we know it is changing once again.

Yes...this and really only this is the reason I am now starting to get more interested in the new Pocket 4K, but I only bought my original Pocket and Micro Cinema Camera earlier this year so will wait a few years at least. And Denny mentioned the possibility (just speculation, but we can hope) that the Micro Cinema might be upgradable via firmware at some point for BRAW. (By the way, I like "BRAW" as an acronym, because it's a Scots expression for "grand, fine, lovely, etc." which fits pretty well). :D
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:43 pm

Brad, totally agree, BRAW is the perfect acronym. Let Canon enjoy CR2, we got BRAW.

Rick Lang

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:01 pm

rick.lang wrote:Brad, totally agree, BRAW is the perfect acronym. Let Canon enjoy CR2, we got BRAW.

As long as John BRAWley doesn't trademark it. :)
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:08 am

rick.lang wrote:With BRAW coming to the Pocket4K soon, forget about ProRes raw folks. Forget about ProRes in any form. Your acquisition data will be 12bit raw from uncompressed to compressed, regardless of whether you shoot with Film or Video or Extended Video metadata. Royalty free. Open to anyone. The world as we know it is changing once again.

If BMD convinces Canon and Panaphonic or Atomos or Convergent or Video Devices (or some combination) to jump on board the BRAW bandwagon, it would be a win for everyone. Maybe if enough customers poke and prod the vendors...

:)
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

michaeldhead

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:10 am

rick.lang wrote:With BRAW coming to the Pocket4K soon, forget about ProRes raw folks. Forget about ProRes in any form. Your acquisition data will be 12bit raw from uncompressed to compressed, regardless of whether you shoot with Film or Video or Extended Video metadata. Royalty free. Open to anyone. The world as we know it is changing once again.

It's already been said, but this all the way. I was already excited about being able to shoot 10-bit prores (coming from compressed 8-bit dslr files), but BDraw....wow. And I played with the files today, and it is outstanding, even on an old system.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

michaeldhead

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:11 am

Rakesh Malik wrote:If BMD convinces Canon and Panaphonic or Atomos or Convergent or Video Devices (or some combination) to jump on board the BRAW bandwagon, it would be a win for everyone. Maybe if enough customers poke and prod the vendors...

:)

I doubt they'll go that route. But the next gen Video Assists... :)
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:13 pm

I agree, the existing manufacturers will do their best to ignore it as they have their own codecs to distinguish themselves. But having new products or updates to existing products within the BMD ecosystem is important and will happen in time. By NAB2019, BRAW will be supported wherever it makes sense. This is a high concept, not a stepping stone like CinemaDNG that almost no one else supported. Companies that want to play in the game will join, but no doubt there’s a lot of history that will preclude wide scale adoption.

ProRes was introduced by Apple to much fanfare as “the best thing since sliced bread.” It took some time to become an industry standard however proprietary. BRAW being license free with the libraries downloadable by anyone, is another bold move by BMD that will slowly gain traction. But it just may prove in time that BRAW is “the best thing ever!”

Rick Lang

Gene Kochanowsky

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 7:57 pm

rick.lang wrote:... Let Canon enjoy CR2, we got BRAW.

What could they do? They couldn't call it CRAW.

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Sounds perfect, Gene.

Rick Lang

AJ Cooks

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Anyone on Hot Rod Cameras pre-order list?

I placed my order with Hot Rod Cameras during BMD's NAB announcement. I'm 1st on their list.

Return to Cinematography