BM 4K Pocket Camera questions

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

AdrianSierkowski

Re: BM 4K Pocket Camera questions

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 3:04 pm

Generally the times we'd use Zooms mostly in Cinema is when we have the camera mounted on a Dolly, SteadyCam, or Crane/Jib to save time in lens swapping (and rebalancing in the case of the steadycam). Sometimes, too, it is cheaper to rent one zoom -v- a whole package of primes for specific situations or whenever you need to move reasonably fast on set or are dealing with an environment where lens-swaps may be a bad idea.
Though most true cine zooms have a massive trade off in close focus, T stop, and weight. This has changed quite a bit as we start to get more broadcast styled zooms which will cover a S35 sensor (mostly to go with all the cine-sized sensor cameras in use these days).

Now, on the low-budget end, though, it is generally substantially cheaper to get a pretty good cine-style zoom (11~16, 18~35, 50~100) than it would be a set of actual primes. For example, the 2 sigma zooms, 18~35 and 50~100 will run you about $8000 ish. But to get the equivalent, new, cine primes, the xeens, you're looking at about 10K (and they aren't really equivalent as the 14 and 24, I believe, are slower than T2, there is no 18mm as far as I know). If you want slightly better cine primes, you're about 20K in with some Compact Prime X3s. . .
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography
http://www.adriansierkowski.com
adrian@adriansierkowski.com

Justin Jackson

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 4:25 pm

So I see a lot of you indicate you rent gear. I dont know if any of you have worked on 7/8/9 figure budget films.. but why with that much money is spending $60K or even $200K (assuming 8 to 9 figure budget) on a few sets of primes vs renting gear... why not buy them? I have no clue what a camera guy (or team) pocket on big budget sets like that, but given the few months it takes (or so I read.. could be a lot less camera time in those months of making a movie) of filming.. wouldnt it be cheaper for the studio to just have bought all the camera gear and lenses and such for the movie crew to choose from. Its not like 100+ movies are being made at a time for the same studio. I would think a few big budget films would just purchase all the gear rather than rent it. At least from what I have read a while ago, renting a RED rig.. a $100K or so setup runs around $7K for a weekend rental. I would imagine movies are not shot on weekends only..thats indie stuff.

Anyway.. those prices are way out of my range right now. I need something in the $1K range thats passable for things like commercials, music videos, and recording local plays, etc. Something to get started with but it high quality enough to work for a while until I can purchase better lenses.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Justin, a Veydra Mini Prime set would run around 5-6K, depending on the selection, indivlenses run $900 to $1199.

Studios renting gear, especially lenses, is all “inside” business, and renting gives them backups, service and other services they would have to have in house technicians on salary to do, which is more expensive in the long run. Movie budgets are all about quick turnaround, and huge profits. Rental expenses are a direct cost in the production, full amount spent is deducted.

You buy the lens, than you can only deduct a part of the cost, as is it now an investment that has to be amortize over the life time of the lens, so current cost out of pocket is actually more. Then you have to securely store the lenses, care for them, etc.

Also, lenses are an artistic and somewhat subjective choice, the Director and DOP make, what one DOP might want to use a move A, the next guy, or even the same DOP, might not want that lens for Movie B, but something else. So now you have to buy and build a large inventory of lens, and hire a lens tech to take care of them, yet another expense, that can only be partially deducted each year.

Smaller budget films, may buy the equipment they need, if rental costs are more than buying, use it for the shoot, and sell it afterwards, deducting the difference between purchase cost and used selling price. This is also another option those without deep pockets use.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Ryan Humphrey

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Also, each "production" is often run as a separate legal entity from an accounting point of view. Having expensive assets left over at the end of production can create paperwork and hassles that exceed any savings. It's one of the reasons that most aspects of production that require hardware investments are done on a rental and third-party basis. In an ideal case, the legal entity for a production starts with $ and no finished product and ends with a finished product and no other assets. In reality it's never that clean.

Denny Smith

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Yes, and keeping each Production its own legal entity, also keeps the major studios from from litigation and other legal issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RealSting

Re: BM 4K Pocket Camera MFT or SB with EF Lenses?

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:09 pm

I don't have any lens system at the moment so I can either go with the MFT lenses or what I'm thinking, go for Metabones and invest in EF lenses making uses of the larger glass and the benefits that SB 0.71 and increased f-stop will provide.

Would be interested in opinions from knowledgeable users.

ty.
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Jack Fairley

Re: BM 4K Pocket Camera MFT or SB with EF Lenses?

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:23 pm

RealSting wrote:I don't have any lens system at the moment so I can either go with the MFT lenses or what I'm thinking, go for Metabones and invest in EF lenses making uses of the larger glass and the benefits that SB 0.71 and increased f-stop will provide.

Would be interested in opinions from knowledgeable users.

It really depends on your budget, and how you want to rig the camera. You can get pretty good fast cine primes that only cover MFT for a low price, and they'll also be quite small and light. If you envision yourself using FF or S35 cameras in the future, it may make more sense to buy larger lenses and an adapter, but your cost will be higher.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

RealSting

PostWed Sep 12, 2018 11:49 pm

Thank you kindly jack.. you have a good point on the compatibility of future cameras.. I’ve not seen many cheap fast cine primes MFT, could you suggest some? I would be looking at least T2, and 12, 35, 50 & 85mm (or similar). Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focusrite 2i2 AI

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:02 am

RealSting wrote:Thank you kindly jack.. you have a good point on the compatibility of future cameras.. I’ve not seen many cheap fast cine primes MFT, could you suggest some? I would be looking at least T2, and 12, 35, 50 & 85mm (or similar). Thank you.

The Veydra set is mostly T2.2. The SLR Magic HyperPrime lenses are faster, but I have read the IQ is not as good.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:35 am

Very Intrigued by these Veydra.. are they considered good enough for movies.. I say that having just watched a youtuber spend $80K on lenses and updating his 8K RED.. to shoot small youtube shorts. That is unreal to me!! I mean.. if you got the money and use it all the time why not.. but wow! To make that kind of money that you can afford anamoprhic lenses used in the biggest budget movies.. to shoot youtube "fun" videos is unreal to me.

That said.. I like the quality/image quality of the Rokinon Xeen lenses.. and supposedly they have new anamorphic lenses coming soon.

So now I am getting in to all the fancy stuff.. like.. would anyone use an Anamorphic lens (that seems to cost like $25K or more) to record a commercial, a music video, or even a local theater production..and if so.. what is the benefit? I read that they are more cinematic like in their quality.. but for example how drastically different is it compared to use the Rokinon Xeen or the Veydra lenses?

I was amazed to see some big budget movies that use 20, 30 or more different lenses!! What the?? So this is where I am totally lost, and I bet a lot of those getting in to all this are. I thought my $500 Rokinon cine lens looked amazing (in the right outdoor lighting) compared to my kit lens that came with the DSLR I was using. I also got a nice 28mm $500 photo lens that takes really sharp (F1.8) photos.. and it looks decent for video too. But what is the artistry that goes in to knowing what lens to use for what scene.. like do you just learn this after using them for a long time.. or do you go watch some videos of the lens in use from other movies, etc.. and just "memorize" a certain look and lens, and decide on that? Choosing 10 or more lenses to use in one video.. I mean I am ecstatic with just the one. Now I am feeling very noobish thinking if I got 1, maybe 2 Primes I would be good to go. Mind you.. (again) just a hobbyist here, and am getting too old to really get in to anything serious at this point. But I tend to lean towards having the gear to be able to do the job.. vs being in a situation where I would like to do something... but cant cause I dont have the gear (and/or it is way out of reach in price). That is why buying the MixPre 10t and a couple of lenses seems like it would be my best option.. so I can have something ready to work with if the need arises.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Denny Smith

Re: BM 4K Pocket Camera question

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:36 am

Since the new Pocket 4K has a dual gain sensor, real fast glass is not as important as it was for the original BMCC Cameras. A T2 or T3 (f/2.8) is going to give you pleanty of light. Faster lenses will give less depth of field, but a T1.4 zips going to require more ND filtering and increase IR issues. Most real fast still camera lenses are not sharp wide open any way. So a good T2-3 lens that is sharp wide open, likemthe Veydras, Olympus Pro Series, or Panny Leica Primes will work more effectively for MFT options.

Other full frame options include Zeiss ZF/ZE lenses or Zeiss Milvus series.

Which lens to choose for which screen? That would be giving one trade secret too many. :roll:
But it comes with experience and learning about lens IQ, and which lenses give you which look with a given sensor, or film stock. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Jack Fairley

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:49 am

Justin Jackson wrote:So now I am getting in to all the fancy stuff.. like.. would anyone use an Anamorphic lens (that seems to cost like $25K or more) to record a commercial, a music video, or even a local theater production..and if so.. what is the benefit? I read that they are more cinematic like in their quality.. but for example how drastically different is it compared to use the Rokinon Xeen or the Veydra lenses?

Anamorphic glass gives you a very distinct look. Check this video from Arri for examples, to me it screams cinematic. I wouldn't go there for a commercial or theater production, maybe for a music video.

Now I am feeling very noobish thinking if I got 1, maybe 2 Primes I would be good to go.

It's better to have a small toolkit you are comfortable with than a toybox you don't know how to use. A three-lens kit of a wide, normal, and telephoto will get you through any beginner shoot. As you gain experience, you may add a couple more to fill in gaps in focal length.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Generally speaking, on most shoots with budget, I'll have between 5 and 8 Lenses, with 6 being the norm.
A normal prime kit, for a motion picture would be:
18/20something/30something/50(or 60)/75 (or 80)/100+ in mm. It will depend on the lens kit and what they offer. As I much MUCH prefer Cooke S4is I'd have:
18/25(or 21)/32/40/75-- though I may sub for a 50 or 65 and a 100 or 135. It all depends a bit on the project.

Now as for shoots which use 30+Lenses, those are VERY rare, and often will come from using multiple formats for certain things-- e.g. you're mainly on an Alexa (with 6 lenses) but shooting FXs work with a 8K Red (again, with 6 other lenses which'll cover that sensor, you went with primes for weight or light reasons) but you also need to shoot in some small spaces where you might use a 5D (with 6 other primes!) or a Pocket (with S16mm lens kit)-- right there, if you had your "basic" 6 lens kit you're at 18 lenses, add in a short and a long zoom for the Alexa for steadycam/crane/jib/dolly and you have 20 lenses! But you don't use (or have) them all day every day, the basic shoot would just be with 6 lenses.

As for why studios don't just buy-- and some do, for certain reasons, beyond what's mentioned, it's substantially cheaper to just rent. Yes, 7000 a week for an Epic looks like quite a lot of money, and it is, but then you realize you're on a 2 week month, so it's 14000 for the month, and if you're shooting for 3 months, they'll probably only charge you for 2, 28,000$, still quite a lot, but honestly not enough to even think of buying the lenses you'd be using (a single anamorphic lens, for example, can cost about 25K). And you'll really need all that extra money for what is often the most expensive part of a major film-- payroll. Just imagine the hourly cost of payroll for a feature film with a cast/crew of 100 people. And now remember, too you will go over 12 hours, no matter what you really do, sooner or later.

Another major reason to rent and why I ALWAYS recommend producers do it is when we're using a camera from a rental house with all it's accessories, they all go together without too much effort (we have a prep day where it's all tested) and when on set one thing does malfunction or break, we have a backup a phone-call away, often delivered, to our location. If a camera body all of a sudden develops a fault, we get a replacement. Or a focus motor dies-- same thing etc etc. These things do happen, more often then you think and the savings of being able to call the rental house with whom you now have an account and getting it sorted in 30 min on the phone goes to saving time (and payroll!).

Long ago, though, yes, many studios owned the cameras and the labs for film production, but they were often simpler times.

For Anamorphics-- people use them when they want a cinematic look and have the budget to use them appropriately. This goes from camera system all the way through having enough light and a good AC. As they have less Depth of Field than Spherical (usual) lenses, are generally slower, and perform their best closed down a bit, you're often finding yourself lighting to a F4 or a 5.6 where as spherically you'd be happy at a 2/2.8/4. Most of the time we use them in narrative, but these days, they're getting much more use on Music Video, and yes Commercial. The Heineken commercials I did earlier this year were all on the Cooke Anamorphics paired with Red Weapons and kept to a 2.40:1 aspect ratio for broadcast. Also, there was an industrial video I was on, long ago, in Baltimore where we used Cineovision anamorphics (based on Panchros, if memory serves) for a analysis company to give it a "cinematic" feel on an FS700. Later this month I'll be on Kowas and either a Dragon or an Alexa for a low-budget short. I'd've personally preferred Todd-AOs or Super Balatars for it, but the director really likes the Kowas.

Now, as for how you "know" what to use-- it's like cooking; it comes from practice, research, experimentation, and often desperation. You may have a lens (dish) you're fond of and know how to prepare well-- for me that'd be using Cookes or Ziess Compact Primes (more on this in a second). Then you have a dish you saw on food network (or lenses so and so used on such and such you've heard of) that you want to try-- in my case there were Super Speed MK1s with the 3-blade iris-- but you realize once you use it (make it) it's kind of crap-- I actually much disliked these lenses and probably won't use them again unless there's a very specific reason. Then you have lenses you come up with for some idea (Ultra Primes, in my case) which I used on purpose a LONG time ago on 5219 with a 435, I also hated them as they were way too sharp and lifeless but I wanted to experiment with very clean look-- and it just didn't work for me, but that's ok. And then you have your desperation lenses (compact primes/rokinons/xeens/sigma cine-zoom/L-Series/Canon Cine etc etc)-- those lenses which came with a package on a shoot you know can't afford anything else-- or when you know you need to spend your budget where it matters more (lighting and grip in my own camp, or production design/wardrobe/locations). These lenses are "fine" but they're just there to do the job. In my case, that's quite often Compact Primes and Rokinons as they are the general "budget" lenses which'll come on most packages. I like them inasmuch as I can use them and they'll form an image and then I can play with More important things like lighting. But I don't loathe these rammen-lenses at all.
Like cooking, you learn these ingredients as you mature as a camera-person or a director and you use them to flavor the film you're on as best you can. It's nothing to really worry about "knowing" off of the bat as it'll come up during your career naturally. And also like cooking, it's all a matter of taste. I know some very good DoPs who swear by Ultra Primes, for example, where as I'll BEG production to drop them for something else because I don't like their flavor. And I know other DoPs who think it's all in the camera and the lens to make a good picture-- where as I couldn't really care less which camera we shoot on so long as it meets the spec for delivery if I get to have all the lighting and crew I need because I think that's much more important
(I should caveat here, though that it's important to have the judgement to know how far you can push a camera for a given project and not just take any old thing but if, say, you want an Alexa and production says you can have a Red for half the price or an F55 for a little less, the real differences are negligible).

And, oh, before I forget in my long wind-- honestly for anything live, such as a local theater production, you really probably want to be on Zooms, and ideally ones which are parfocal and have a consistent T-Stop as you won't have time to change lenses and snapping in to grab focus then zooming out to frame is generally your best bet to get usable footage. Also you really want cameras which you can either paint or which are easy to match in post (have enough information).

if any of this doesn't make sense, or anyone wants more long-winded talking, you're always welcome to e mail me with questions--- adrian@adriansierkowski.com Might take a day or two to get back to you; but I always get back to people.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

RealSting

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 2:02 pm

AdrianSierkowski wrote:Generally speaking, on most shoots with budget, I'll have between 5 and 8 Lenses, with 6 being the norm.
18/20something/30something/50(or 60)/75 (or 80)/100+ in mm. It will depend on the lens kit and what they offer. As I much MUCH prefer Cooke S4is I'd have:
18/25(or 21)/32/40/75-- though I may sub for a 50 or 65 and a 100 or 135. It all depends a bit on the project.

Now as for shoots which use 30+Lenses, those are VERY rare, and often will come from using multiple formats for certain things-- e.g. you're mainly on an Alexa (with 6 lenses) but shooting FXs work with a 8K Red (again, with 6 other lenses which'll cover that sensor, you went with primes for weight or light reasons) but you also need to shoot in some small spaces where you might use a 5D (with 6 other primes!) or a Pocket (with S16mm lens kit)-- right there, if you had your "basic" 6 lens kit you're at 18 lenses, add in a short and a long zoom for the Alexa for steadycam/crane/jib/dolly and you have 20 lenses! But you don't use (or have) them all day every day, the basic shoot would just be with 6 lenses.

As for why studios don't just buy-- and some do, for certain reasons, beyond what's mentioned, it's substantially cheaper to just rent. Yes, 7000 a week for an Epic looks like quite a lot of money, and it is, but then you realize you're on a 2 week month, so it's 14000 for the month, and if you're shooting for 3 months, they'll probably only charge you for 2, 28,000$, still quite a lot, but honestly not enough to even think of buying the lenses you'd be using (a single anamorphic lens, for example, can cost about 25K). And you'll really need all that extra money for what is often the most expensive part of a major film-- payroll. Just imagine the hourly cost of payroll for a feature film with a cast/crew of 100 people. And now remember, too you will go over 12 hours, no matter what you really do, sooner or later.

Another major reason to rent and why I ALWAYS recommend producers do it is when we're using a camera from a rental house with all it's accessories, they all go together without too much effort (we have a prep day where it's all tested) and when on set one thing does malfunction or break, we have a backup a phone-call away, often delivered, to our location. If a camera body all of a sudden develops a fault, we get a replacement. Or a focus motor dies-- same thing etc etc. These things do happen, more often then you think and the savings of being able to call the rental house with whom you now have an account and getting it sorted in 30 min on the phone goes to saving time (and payroll!).

Long ago, though, yes, many studios owned the cameras and the labs for film production, but they were often simpler times.

For Anamorphics-- people use them when they want a cinematic look and have the budget to use them appropriately. This goes from camera system all the way through having enough light and a good AC. As they have less Depth of Field than Spherical (usual) lenses, are generally slower, and perform their best closed down a bit, you're often finding yourself lighting to a F4 or a 5.6 where as spherically you'd be happy at a 2/2.8/4. Most of the time we use them in narrative, but these days, they're getting much more use on Music Video, and yes Commercial. The Heineken commercials I did earlier this year were all on the Cooke Anamorphics paired with Red Weapons and kept to a 2.40:1 aspect ratio for broadcast. Also, there was an industrial video I was on, long ago, in Baltimore where we used Cineovision anamorphics (based on Panchros, if memory serves) for a analysis company to give it a "cinematic" feel on an FS700. Later this month I'll be on Kowas and either a Dragon or an Alexa for a low-budget short. I'd've personally preferred Todd-AOs or Super Balatars for it, but the director really likes the Kowas.

Now, as for how you "know" what to use-- it's like cooking; it comes from practice, research, experimentation, and often desperation. You may have a lens (dish) you're fond of and know how to prepare well-- for me that'd be using Cookes or Ziess Compact Primes (more on this in a second). Then you have a dish you saw on food network (or lenses so and so used on such and such you've heard of) that you want to try-- in my case there were Super Speed MK1s with the 3-blade iris-- but you realize once you use it (make it) it's kind of crap-- I actually much disliked these lenses and probably won't use them again unless there's a very specific reason. Then you have lenses you come up with for some idea (Ultra Primes, in my case) which I used on purpose a LONG time ago on 5219 with a 435, I also hated them as they were way too sharp and lifeless but I wanted to experiment with very clean look-- and it just didn't work for me, but that's ok. And then you have your desperation lenses (compact primes/rokinons/xeens/sigma cine-zoom/L-Series/Canon Cine etc etc)-- those lenses which came with a package on a shoot you know can't afford anything else-- or when you know you need to spend your budget where it matters more (lighting and grip in my own camp, or production design/wardrobe/locations). These lenses are "fine" but they're just there to do the job. In my case, that's quite often Compact Primes and Rokinons as they are the general "budget" lenses which'll come on most packages. I like them inasmuch as I can use them and they'll form an image and then I can play with More important things like lighting. But I don't loathe these rammen-lenses at all.
Like cooking, you learn these ingredients as you mature as a camera-person or a director and you use them to flavor the film you're on as best you can. It's nothing to really worry about "knowing" off of the bat as it'll come up during your career naturally. And also like cooking, it's all a matter of taste. I know some very good DoPs who swear by Ultra Primes, for example, where as I'll BEG production to drop them for something else because I don't like their flavor. And I know other DoPs who think it's all in the camera and the lens to make a good picture-- where as I couldn't really care less which camera we shoot on so long as it meets the spec for delivery if I get to have all the lighting and crew I need because I think that's much more important
(I should caveat here, though that it's important to have the judgement to know how far you can push a camera for a given project and not just take any old thing but if, say, you want an Alexa and production says you can have a Red for half the price or an F55 for a little less, the real differences are negligible).

And, oh, before I forget in my long wind-- honestly for anything live, such as a local theater production, you really probably want to be on Zooms, and ideally ones which are parfocal and have a consistent T-Stop as you won't have time to change lenses and snapping in to grab focus then zooming out to frame is generally your best bet to get usable footage. Also you really want cameras which you can either paint or which are easy to match in post (have enough information).

if any of this doesn't make sense, or anyone wants more long-winded talking, you're always welcome to e mail me with questions--- adrian@adriansierkowski.com Might take a day or two to get back to you; but I always get back to people.
very useful Adrian.. and of course you’re right.. lenses, as much else, will always be dependent on the project. So my next question could be about the projects you do. But it’s good for someone like me (an editor by trade) who doesn’t own a lens system yet to see what others are using, or will use with the black magic. My uses will primarily be documentary, but with the cinematic look. Thanks.

PS. Cooke lenses are incredible.. we use them quite a lot at work, but sadly way out of my price range, as i’m purchasing for myself.

Focusrite 2i2 AI

AdrianSierkowski

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Very true.
As for me, I do whatever I get hired to do. Mostly it's narrative (short, pilot, feature), and commercials. Sometimes Music Video, Live Event,Documentary and never Reality (which, I have no idea why!). Budget wise it goes from $1000 up to, well the biggest ever for me was a $5mil. Most fall between 20K(shorts) and 200~900K features.

For my own BM4K (if I pull the trigger) I'm probably going to go with a Metabones EF and PL mount to open up most lenses I could theoretically be using on a project so I can B/C/D cam the 4K if needed. For in house, I'm thinking between a Tonika/Sigma zooms OR a set of Rokinons (16/24/35/50 assuming speedbooster though I am really not a huge fan of speedboosters it's really an economic choice to make a rental package)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 4:10 pm

RealSting wrote:
AdrianSierkowski wrote:Generally speaking, on most shoots with budget, I'll have between 5 and 8 Lenses, with 6 being the norm.

To bring this down to similar AOV lenses for the new Pocket, the set would be a 12mm ( for 18mm), 25-28mm (32-40mm) and 42-50mm for king shots.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

magic6435

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 4:50 pm

What's the still mode like on this camera? I've seen it mentioned as a feature but no examples. I understand that it's still a video camera first but I'm curious just how decent it might be. I'm taking a 2 week trip to Maine in October to mostly shoot video with my BMCC2.5 but from time to time want to take some photos as well with my 6D. Taking the BMPCC and leaving the 6D at home would be dope.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 pm

You get a UHD or 4K frame, depending on camera setting, or it is just a full 4K frame, saved as a DNG Raw to a special folder On the SD or CFast card. Resolution would be 8 to 10MP. This is good for web, digital and Magazine quality publication, or prints up to around 10x12, if this helps. The new Pocket is not a GH5/s, no JPEG, no in camera processing, other than getting DNG files.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 5:39 pm

Rakesh Malik wrote:... I'm frankly baffled that anyone gives a <blert> about the video functionality on the new Fuji and Canon and Nikon cameras in light of the Pocket 4K on its way.

Rakesh, if you have a few minutes, zip through the video of yesterday’s Apple Event until you get to the iPhone Xs camera discussion. Look for the small single slanted image that is used to illustrate all the image processing functions that are performed in the camera to get you that 4K image in an instant. It’s quite an impressive documentation of what goes on behind the scenes that I think will impress folks. Good thing the BMPCC4K ships before that phone!
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 6:23 pm

Another thing to keep in mind in the rent vs own decision is how much you use the gear in question.

For me since I do a *lot* of shooting, a lot of it for myself, it makes sense to own a camera and a set of lenses with good image quality, because I keep them busy even though I'm not (yet) renting them out. Renting would cost me more than owning in that case, and I can charge a kit fee to productions.

For gear you only use on one or two productions a year, it makes a lot more sense to rent it, since you'd only pay for the time you're using, and let someone else take care of it until you need to rent it again, especially since you might not even use that lens set or camera body on the next production.

I get an economy because I *always* have a sweet camera available, but I lose on versatility; I can't bring a Varicam or an Alexa or Alexa Mini to a shoot because I don't have those, but if a Helium is the right choice, I can work out a deal with the production since I own that.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 pm

I gotta say.. while not completely on topic.. I love all the replies you guys have been responding with. I have learned so much from you all in this one thread! Again thank you all for the responses.

I agree with Rakesh, as I would mostly be shooting video for "fun".. in fact, years ago when the first 4K BM camera came out I had the crazy thought that I could use it to record a bunch of RAW 4K video and sell it on some of the stock video sites.. thinking it was so new and a lot of creative folk would need 4K video for up and coming projects.. and what better way then getting RAW footage so they can color correct/etc as they need in the use of it. Now.. with 6K and 8K cameras.. I am a bit late to that game. Plus, the few times I have looked at those sites.. there are about 1000 videos of similar things that I would consider recording anyway.. so not only near impossible to get your stuff sold due to where it may show up in a search.. but now it seems like most things, you really gotta have something that stands out.. and even then.. at a $50 to a few hundred per video clip.. you would need a lot of purchases to make any sort of living on that.. in my case given my day job I would need a whopping lot of purchases to replace it full time! Any of you actually do that.. sell video clips on sites?

I came back down to reality with the idea of anamorphic lenses.. they are just way out of range and like you all said, short of being wealthy and just having money to burn, which I am far from, it makes sense to rent those for specific uses. That is why I watch some of these guys/gals on youtube buying 8K REDs with $100K in lenses and am like wow.. why? From what I read they mostly release in 4K but use the 8K to be able to a) offer more room to handle things like zoom, shaky footage correction and better 8K to 4K detail. My daughter and I have some rough ideas for some youtube channel stuff.. but its a long ways out given her in film school and me an old dog that loves tech and the latest stuff but barely the time to use it all. Hell, I cant wait to get my mixpre 10t in two days.. and the only thing I have lined up for it.. is a sound card for my computer!! Though having it available (assuming I can swing some good quality lavs and a better boom mic) would be great if I can pick up some gigs to record audio some day!

For you guys that have RED/Alexa cameras.. first of all.. wow.. how? :D Nevermind..too personal.. but man..those things are nuts! I spent over $2K on a vmount battery setup.. dbox distribution, CORE t-plate for dual batteries, couple batteries, dual charger, etc. I cant imagine all the stuff needed besides the camera for a RED or Alexa!

I did have a point to this response though..besides thanking everyone again and babbling. I know I am going to be getting the BM4K.. I have wanted to buy the BM camera since the first 2.5K and then the pocket.. and I have waited a long time.. so this one is mine! Not yet..but in a few months or so depending on if they are in stock are way lagged due to high demand. I am however trying to figure out the lens thing. Like a few other said.. I tend to think going Metabones adapter with either EF or PL mount (if that is an option and makes sense) to get an extra stop of DR (or is it T-stop you pick up?) and to support the EF or PL mount lenses. I suspect that in the not too distant future, as BM steps up in to the 6K/8K camera range, I would want to look at something like that with most likely PL mount. I have current EF mount lenses.. but those are for my Canon T3.. and assuming I find a way to make a few grand more (after all the other crap is bought/paid) I would definitely like to consider 2 zooms (but not at 4K each!) and a set of primes. I feel like PL is the way to go.. even if this never turns in to something more.. but should I be able to learn and take it to the level of shooting a commercial, music video, etc.. being able to rent a camera with PL mount and use my own lenses sounds like a better way forward than worrying about renting those too.

With than in mind.. the Veydra look nice, but what are some similar good quality PL mount lenses in the $1K to $2K range that you all would consider for anything but big budget projects? Again my use cases would be local commercials, theater/plays at schools/local theaters, music videos, and personal projects (should my daughter write some scripts that she says she will and we want to do something with those). I would assume a wide angle 14 or so to 35/50 or so zoom, and then a 85 to 150 or so? Ideally.. the zooms and primes would be color matching as much as possible. Assuming I had about 6K or so spend on 2 zooms and 4 to 6 primes.. (and I realize that may not be nearly enough even for budget good quality lenses), what would be a good group to go with?

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 pm

Thanks for the clarification Justin. First off $6K is a nice start, for either a few Primes or two zooms, but not both,mifmyiu want to go with Cine lenses. The Veydras have a IQ similar to Zeiss Ultra Primes ($4-6K PL lenes), so in this case are a nice bargain for what you are getting.

As for adapters, Metsbones Speed Boosters are for Still 35mm (APC-S/FF) lenses, they do not make a PL Speed Booster, it is a dump adapter only. Wooden Camera also makes a nice MFT/PL adapter thst would work well.

As for PL lenses, the previously mentioned Tokina PL lenses would be good also. The Tokina 16-28 Vista Zoom and a 35mm Prime would cover your immediate needs, and get you within your budget for both.
Or go for a three lens Veydra set, 12 or 16 (no 14mm) 25 and 35, I had all four for a set.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:45 pm

Oh wow..didnt know that.. about adapters. I assumed they made speed boosters for the different specific mount types. So.. you are saying if I had a T2 EF (or PL) cinema lens.. that the MetaBones speed booster wouldnt work at all for PL (or EF) cinema lens? E.g. it wont give it another stop of DR?

I am also confused about (yet again) about the different sensor coverages of lenses and if they will work or not with lower sensor sizes. For example, if I got a PL full frame lens.. just in case BM brings out an 8K full frame sensor in the future.. would it still work with the S35 or MFT (with or without adapter)? Or will it end up being unusable.. or only a portion of the lense coverage works? Likewise, can you reverse it. with an adapter if need be.. if I got MFT mount lenses.. but later got a camera with a bigger sensor size.. and how does that turn out.

michaeldhead

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:55 pm

Denny Smith wrote:As for adapters, Metsbones Speed Boosters are for Still 35mm (APC-S/FF) lenses, they do not make a PL Speed Booster, it is a dump adapter only.
Cheers

Actually: http://metabones.com/products/details/MB_SPPL-E-BT1

They currently only have the PL-E mount Speedbooster, and it's only for certain Zeiss lenses (not sure why that would be). It doesn't help with the P4K, but they might have a PL-MFT Speedbooster at some point.

Justin Jackson wrote:I am also confused about (yet again) about the different sensor coverages of lenses and if they will work or not with lower sensor sizes. For example, if I got a PL full frame lens.. just in case BM brings out an 8K full frame sensor in the future.. would it still work with the S35 or MFT (with or without adapter)? Or will it end up being unusable.. or only a portion of the lense coverage works? Likewise, can you reverse it. with an adapter if need be.. if I got MFT mount lenses.. but later got a camera with a bigger sensor size.. and how does that turn out.

As long as the lens covers the larger sensor size, the lens should work with all smaller sensors (but you'll likely encounter crop issues). For example, a lens designed for Canon's EF-S mount (basically super35) probably won't cover a full-frame sensor without serious vignetting. A full-frame lens will cover a s35 sensor, but won't cover a Vistavision sensor (like some REDs have).

I'm still getting clarification some Speedbooster adapters for the P4k, too - for example, I have mostly full-frame EF lenses, so I think I'll actually need the "regular" 0.64x booster and not the "ultra" 0.71x booster because the Ultra is intended for EF-S lenses, and will cause vignetting with full-frame lenses.

Is that right? Or do I have it backwards?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:08 pm

That is cool that MetaBones has the Cine adaptors. There are a bunch of them.. though I am not sure if the BM4K is now MFT or 4/3 (which I assume is the same..but vaguely recall they are not quite the same.. or that the BM is not the same as other MFT mounts??).

What is the diff between 0.71 and 0.64. I assume one is less crop than the other.. but not sure which is which and why you would use one over the other.. given they are same price.

michaeldhead

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:29 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:That is cool that MetaBones has the Cine adaptors. There are a bunch of them.. though I am not sure if the BM4K is now MFT or 4/3 (which I assume is the same..but vaguely recall they are not quite the same.. or that the BM is not the same as other MFT mounts??).

They have "cine" adapters, but only one PL adapter. I think they are using the "cine" title to denote a locking mount, which is what PL (Positive Lock) mounts are - the lenses don't spin, a lock on the camera body (adapter, in this case) spins and locks in place. They still adapt other lens mounts - EF, Nikon, etc.

The P4k is MFT - Micro Four-Thirds. It is standard MFT, which is really a 4/3 (Four-Thirds) sized sensor with a specific type of lens mount. The Original Pocket had a MFT mount, but the sensor size was small - close to 16mm film size, but others probably can be more specific. That sensor size affect the crop factor on the original Pocket - but the P4k has a "standard" MFT mount and sensor size.

Justin Jackson wrote:What is the diff between 0.71 and 0.64. I assume one is less crop than the other.. but not sure which is which and why you would use one over the other.. given they are same price.

They have a different crop reduction (one is .71 reduction, the other .64), but I havn't gotten it straight which one is for full-frame lenses and which one is for super35 (EF-S coverage) lenses. I actually think the .64 is needed for full-frame EF lenses, but if anyone has any clarification on that, I'd appreciate it help!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 13, 2018 10:49 pm

Oh wow.. I never actually looked up what was diff about PL mounts.. but that is really cool. I much prefer to lock the mount than twist the lens. Funny thing is right before I wrote the last response I was thinking how much I dislike having to rotate the lens to put it on/off the camera. I have purposely been trying to switch to locking mounts in all my gear.. e.g. HDMI I am using a HDMI clamp to avoid it being yanked out.. and more so, bent out of the prong.. as I had that happen on my T2i and lost the video use I bought it for.. and cost more than the camera itself to get it fixed. I really wish I could be full locked adaptors.. audio, video, power, etc. I am hoping the BM4K has a locking power adaptor option from my vmount battery rig. My dbox distribution has 2 d-tap plugs, but 2 of the 2-pin plugs as well.. forget what those are but I originally thought they were locking plugs.. apparently they too just push in.

I always wrap my gear in a cage and use some sort of clamp to hold cables to avoid the potential of pulling/bending (e.g. breaking) them out of the connectors they are attached to. Hoping between the power plug on the 10t and the BM4K I can remove the worry of push in plugs!

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 12:08 am

Metsbones Speed Booster — XL is 0.64 works with only FF lenses on a full size MFT sensor (18.96x10mm) on the new Pocket and GH5/S.
The XL also works with EFS on the smaller GH4/5 sensor (17.3x13mm, but actually uses a smaller crop for 16:9, around 16mm Wide), and I think this is where the confusion comes from.

The Ultra is 0.71 works with both EF-S/AP-C and full frame lenses, on all MFT sensors, both full size and the small one on the GH4/5. They had to make the sensor smaller to keep the sensor in the projected image circle

Originally, Metsbones just had one Speed Booster for MFT, a 0.71 during the GH2/3 and AF100 which had 17.8mm wide sensors, and the GH 2/3 were multi aspect sensors.

Four Thirds was a mount used first in the same 17.8mm multi aspect sensors, but the FT Mount was larger in diameter, and FT cameras were DSLR with mirrors and OVF. FT lenses projected a bigger image circle, close Academy 3-per 35mm (aka Std. 35) open gate. So they had better optical designs and less CA and less corner darkening.

Micro Four Thirds, while the same sensor originally as the FT, but now a smaller diameter mount thst just covers the sensor diagonal of about 19x14mm. Same sensor, but now a mirrorless Camera, with a EVF
So lenses could be made smaller with the smaller lens mount, and a smaller projected image circle.

PL — Postive Locking cine lens mount, similar to ENG camera B4 mounts, but larger.
PL lenses are made in S16, STD 35mm, S35mm and now some cover Full Frame 24x36mm gate size.
Also we’re made for 79mm and Vista Vision, even larger.

I think that should about cover the differences.

For more info see Duclos Lens Site and Matt Duclos Blog.
Cheers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

schizopolis

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am

What about 2 channel audio recording? How do you think will it be possible to use xlr input and 3.5 jack simultaneous?

michaeldhead

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 2:43 pm

schizopolis wrote:What about 2 channel audio recording? How do you think will it be possible to use xlr input and 3.5 jack simultaneous?

My understanding is that the files will have four two audio tracks, and you can map the inputs to two sets of tracks - so you could map an XLR to channel 1/2, and the 3.5mm to channel 2 3/4, but then you're not using the internal mics. Or you could map the 3.5mm to channel 1 /2 and the internal mics to channel 2 3/4. That least that is my understanding.

EDIT: Correction: two audio tracks that can be mapped to different inputs, not four.
Last edited by michaeldhead on Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Justin Jackson

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 3:15 pm

I assume you are talking about the BM4K camera.. I didnt know it could record 4 tracks.. figured just the two XLR inputs. That is pretty slick if it handles that. What would be the purpose of 4 tracks though.. if 2 are from balanced inputs, and two are not (assuming the 3.5 input is not balanced which as far as I know never is).

I would still assume most people would look to external recorders. That is one reason I went for the 10t instead of the 3 or 6.. well.. I mean that reason is that 10t has timecode and the camera supports recording timecode.. so hopefully syncing audio will be no problem at all in post.

michaeldhead

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 pm

Actually I was talking about the P4k (Pocket 4k) - from NAB videos, that was my understanding of how it handled audio. And as far as I know, the software is the same for all the Ursa Mini cameras, but I can't speak to that directly.

The purpose of four tracks is to mix and match the inputs to what works best for you. I still usually record dual system (external audio recording), but sometimes when the environment is controlled enough (talking head interview, for example), it's easy to record straight into camera and cut down on post steps.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

michaeldhead

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:16 pm

Corrected above: The P4k (according to the manual) has two audio tracks, not four, but each track can record from a separate input.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Correct, the Ursa Mini Pro/Broadcast Camera has an option (not implemented yet) to record four tracks, but currently it only does one. This is possible with only two XLR inputs, as each can also be an AES input, which carries two digital channels vs one analog one. To bad BM didn’t make the new Pocket 4aK camera’s mic XLR a combo analog/AES, then it could record two channels of external audio via the one XLR, using a mixer like the SD MicPreD, which has AES outs.

But the MixPreD has an unbalanced two-channel line out (designed for unbalanced camera inputs (locking connector in the mixer), so you do three input sources, by mixing two on the Mixer, output to camera via 1/8 line in maped to track 1, and connect a mic directly to the camera for a third source, mapped to track 2. Or use a multi channel (like six to 8 in and four out) and use the mixer for all sources, mixing two inputs to one channel 1/2 unbalanced out, and sending the third/fourth mic to channel 3 or 4 as a balanced line out to XLR on camera.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Back to the comment on a possible Metabones SpeedBooster Ultra PL-mFT. That would certainly be feasible at first glance when using full frame PL mount lenses. Very interesting.

Another option is putting my EF mount on the APO PL lenses and adding the Ultra EF-mFT. Perhaps same result but I’d prefer the former as much more solid.

Rick Lang

Justin Jackson

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:30 pm

I am going to pretend I know what I am talking about for a minute.. Agreed Rick.. definitely would prefer the mft/pl option and then look at PL lenses. I dont know for sure how many cameras offer PL options, but it seems between those that have exchangeable mounts and those that work with adapters.. you can almost always find a way to use PL lenses (or EF and others for that matter). I would just prefer to use PL if possible.

As long as full frame/S35 lenses cover the MFT lens the BM4K uses.. and its not too bad of a crop.. good enough for me.

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:48 pm

Time to sell the cottage though when you go PL! You learn what you absolutely need and you won’t need a stable of 30 lenses of all types. I may just end up with about six lenses for all my perceived needs.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

Re: BM 4K Pocket Camera question PL lenses

PostFri Sep 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Interesting idea Rick, a PL/MFT Speed Booster. If it was the 0.71 version, then even Cine S35 PL lenses would work. Nice idea, now to sell it to Metabones.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:02 am

So.. knowing that i want a PL adaptor at some point.. but have a few EF lens I could use now.. would this adapter do well enough.. it is listed on BH Photos site under accessories for the camera:

FotodioX Canon EF Pro Lens Adapter with Built-In Iris Control for Micro Four Thirds Cameras.

Also wondering if its worth adding the $200 SquareTrade warranty.. if they truly honor replacements and such if I were to drop it, spill water, etc. Any thoughts?

Rakesh Malik

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 am

I've been using several Fotodiox adapters (Nikon to MFT, Nikon to EF, Nikon to a-mount) for years. They've been places. Interesting places. Like the top of Mt. Adams and Mt. Rainier, around Pelmo and Tres Cime di Lavarado, Lagazuoi, Torres del Paine... even Himachal Pradesh... ergo, they've been through a LOT.

And they're still fine.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

AdrianSierkowski

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 3:45 pm

Just so you all know, in terms of FF lenses and the PL mount, there is a good chance, honestly, that there won't be many full frame PL lenses around as more than likely (as happened with the original PL -v- say the Aaton mount) lenses will begin to go over to the LPL Mount which Arri has brought out for it's new "full Frame" camera, the LF. There is also the XPL for 65mm productions. Though, honestly, I really wouldn't start to worry about whether the lenses you have now will cover such things in the future. I always say focus on what you're working with at the moment, try to future proof, a little bit, but things are changing so quickly now in terms of cameras and lenses, especially as more and more companies enter into the mix, that it's perhaps best to just look at what is around right at this moment for this camera and work from that.

And again, if you're not working in a full cine environment, I'd stick to EF mount adapters and lenses. It is the much more economical way of doing things (just make sure to get a locking mount).
Buying a PL adapter is great, but really, unless you have tens of thousands of bucks to stick into PL glass there is little point to have the lenses and the Mount is only useful if you're working you BM into higher end productions and sharing lenses with another camera (alexa, red, sony, etc)
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Justin Jackson

PostMon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 am

Adrian, you make valid points. I will stick to EF for now since I have a few lenses, and having just spent a bundle on the mixpre 10t.. if I can swing the camera, Ill go the fotodox route for now so i can actually use the camera. Later if money allows Ill look in to the metabones adaptor and some better lenses.

Justin Jackson

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 7:54 pm

Well I am beyond broke now.. ordered my BM4K.. hopefully it wont take months from BHPhoto. I also ordered the MFT to EF fotodiox adapter. Like I said before I will most likely get the Metabones down the road.. but the mount was listed as accessory with the BM4K on BHPhoto so I really hope it works! That will at least allow me to use my "cheap" (cough) Rokinon 85m cine lens, and my canon 28mm. I can live with whatever crop it ends up as. Also ordered the 500gb t5.. though I saw one guy post a video showing 4 different options, including an SATA-3 SSD to USB-C adaptor, which I have.. and it worked recording over 30 seconds at 60p 4K.. so hopefully my 1TB SSD that I have just hanging around will work with it too.

Between this and my mixpre 10t.. if this isnt enough to get started doing some projects and maybe the local high school play.. I am screwed..cause I got no money left to purchase with for a long while!

The interesting thing.. to me.. is I am hoping my 85mm with the crop factor will be a decent "zoom" if i set my camera up near the back of an auditorium for filming with. Hopefully wide open, at 1600ISO or so it should look good.

Question.. though probably nobody knows for sure.. but will this camera be able to record for an hour or longer straight.. without overheating? Or is it really made to shoot short bits and not a continuous 1 to 2 hour length? I have my Sony AX53 that I could use for recording with as well.. and I feed the HDMI out to my Atomos Inferno but I dont think it will work well in low light. So hoping this camera will be able to handle it. I dont want to find out that I burnt it out somehow shooting too long.. so asking now before I attempt it.

Oh yah.. and does anyone know of USB-C data cables that have magnetic tips? I was hoping I could avoid potential disaster with USB-C breaking off/bending in the camera.. by putting a permanent magnetic tip USB-C.. and magnetic cable.. but sadly it seems everything I find is either USB 2.0 at best.. or otherwise no data at all and only charging. I dont understand why there isnt a USB 3.1 gen2 magnetic tip/data cable!

Denny Smith

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:12 pm

Using 16:9 UHD, an 80mm lens at 50-feet from stage will cover11-12-foot width.
I would not use a magnet cable around a camera, you could damage the media if you were not careful
The ca era can be on for as long as the battery or power source, and should not overheat at normal room temps.
Your recording time limit is going to be the limit of the media you are using and if you are recording 4K, UHD or HD, downsampled.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:31 pm

Denny.. didnt think about the magnet and media bit.. thats a valid point. I am going to just have to get a cage with clamps for hdmi, usb-c and xlr audio inputs and look at some way to ensure if they are yanked they dont pull the camera and mixpre with it!

That is great that it should record continuously.. I am still used to my Canon T3i.. though to be fair my Sony AX53 does record in 110 degree heat for over an hour no problem.. at least so far it has!

Justin Jackson

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 4:06 pm

So.. watched a wee bit on Timecode.. but question.. if I use Timecode from my mixpre 10t and feed it to the BM4K.. I dont actually need to record audio on the camera right? The audio from 10t and video should sync up in Resolve via timecode?

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:27 pm

Correct; that's the idea of TC Sync; but you should still record scratch to camera anyway if you can (though you don't have to).
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Justin Jackson

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I was wondering about that.. is that more of a "backup".. which does make sense. Apparently the BM4K has the best audio option of any BM camera (even over the Ursa??).. not sure if that is just the quality of the mic inputs.. or what.

AdrianSierkowski

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 5:51 pm

Less backup and more much easier to look through footage with audio on set and after before you sync things and as a double check if for some reason the TC sync messes up.
Adrian Sierkowski
Director of Photography

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:10 am

Curious if anyone that is close with BM.. knows when the BMPCC 4K will get the BRAW firmware update? I realize the camera is barely out.. just wondering if there is any info regarding if its months away or fairly soon.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography