how to find out what firmware is running?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Alain Baars

how to find out what firmware is running?

PostTue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Is there a way how to find out what firmware is running?

I know how to downgrade or upgrade, but I have some audioproblems and I I'm in doubt which version I am running.

Is there really no way of seeing it somewhere, other than just installing software?

Chris Hocking

Re: how to find out what firmware is running?

PostWed May 08, 2013 12:42 am

There's definitely no way to tell what firmware it's running via the camera touch screen.

The only way you MIGHT be able to tell (although I haven't tested it), is to check System Report on MacOS, under the Thunderbolt section. It might give you a firmware version... but no promises.

But... if you're having issues with audio... I'd just do a fresh install of 1.2.1.

Luca Salvatori

PostWed May 08, 2013 6:26 pm

Chris Hocking wrote:There's definitely no way to tell what firmware it's running via the camera touch screen.

The only way you MIGHT be able to tell (although I haven't tested it), is to check System Report on MacOS, under the Thunderbolt section. It might give you a firmware version... but no promises.

But... if you're having issues with audio... I'd just do a fresh install of 1.2.1.

issue with last firmware??
Cinematographer/Colorist

Blackmagic Cinema Camera MFT 2.5K
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Panasonic HDC27H Varicam
Panasonic EVA1
Red Scarlet Dragon
Sony a7s

P+S Technik: 18/3 25/2.8 35/2 50/1.4 85/1.4

www.luca-salvatori.format.com

PhilCaine

PostWed May 08, 2013 8:58 pm

Connect the camera by USB to your computer. Run the Blackmagic Cinema Camera Utility. Look at the opening screen. There is a “Help” feature on the top navigation bar. A simple click on that and it tells me I have version 1.2.1.
Phillip Caine

Chris Hocking

PostWed May 08, 2013 9:28 pm

Just because you have a certain version of firmware installed on your COMPUTER doesn't mean it's installed on the camera itself. If you're using a hire camera for instance - there is no correlation between the computers firmware update version and the cameras firmware.

Having said that, I haven't clicked the Help button with my camera connected personally... so maybe it does indeed tell you what firmware the camera is running REGARDLESS of the computer software version... but I don't think so from past experiences.
Last edited by Chris Hocking on Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Hocking

PostWed May 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Luca Salvatori wrote:issue with last firmware??

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7829

Chris Hocking

PostSat May 11, 2013 4:09 am

I just did a test with 1.2.1 installed on my camera and 1.3 installed on my Mac.

Unfortunately there seems to be absolutely no way to tell from the Mac what version of the firmware the camera is currently running.

It seems the only way currently to be certain you're camera is running the latest firmware, is to download the latest firmware, and run the Blackmagic Cinema Camera Utility.

Jim Cullen

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 8:22 am

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Utility seems to be a tool purely for checking the camera firmware. I think the software set of tools is in version 1.3.1 (and the camera firmware is at a different point - though the number isn't displayed).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 09.16.58.png
Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 09.16.58.png (33.09 KiB) Viewed 5756 times
Jim Cullen

Return to Cinematography