Blackmagic RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Jesse Widener

Re: Blackmagic RAW

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:30 am

No problem Jaymes. I appreciate everyone getting me pointed in the right place to begin with.

I am hoping the file structure inside the container is similar to CDNG wherein there are individual image frames and a separate audio file. It would be awesome if the audio could be an easy swap that way.

jsmith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 12:55 pm

Australian Image wrote:
John Paines wrote:The timeline can't spontaneous trim source files. No NLE offers that feature. That's what Media Management is for, once the timeline is finished.

Or I just don't understand what you're seeking.

I don't necessarily want the original files to be edited, but would like the option of saving the edited files as a separate set of edited raw files. That existing NLE may not offer that feature doesn't mean it's not possible.

I'm familiar with raw editing of photo files and there are editors that do destructive, but most do non-destructive edits. But photo files are different as they are single files. I don't know how BRAW is constructed, but if there's any similarity to cDNG (single DNG images), then it should be possible.

Just think of the additional benefits that film makers would get with BRAW if they could save edited BRAW files along with the project metadata.

@Australian Image, See my video post (https://d.pr/IykMM6) as it does exactly that. You can absolutely trim your BRAW files and output to a new directory with the smaller trimmed versions of BRAW without it being the full copy for archive (audio/vfx/anything that needs rendering will not follow).
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Video Card: AMD Radeon VII | VRAM: 16GB | Playback: Intensity Pro 4k
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

jsmith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Australian Image wrote:I tried looking at that video, but it won't load.

It's a webm video file so some browsers/os won't load it.

Basically if you have a timeline with the trimmed clips you just need to go to File-> Media Management... and if you select the "Timeline" option at the top, then select the "Copy" tab. You should be able to set a media destination to your desired directory by clicking "Browse". Once that is done the key is to fill in the radio button for the option labeled "Copy and trim used media keeping *0* frame handles" (You can change the number if you want additional frames just before the cuts. If not leave it at 0 for a 1:1 file. Then hit "Start". It will take a moment for it to do it's thing and you should be all set.The result will be the BRAW files trimmed down to match the timeline.
Last edited by jsmith on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 7:44 pm

It's webm so you have to use Chrome browser.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Australian Image wrote:
Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's webm so you have to use Chrome browser.

I gave up Chrome a while back and have gone fully Firefox.

Just download video with right click and watch with eg VLC then.

John Paines

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 9:37 pm

Australian Image wrote:OK, I tried that and it did create a slightly smaller set of BRAW files and included the audio files. What I didn't get were any of the edits that were done in the original

You need to either select an option which gives you the "relink to new files" box to check, or a move operation, which will do the relinking automatically. Between the choice of "project", "timeline" and "clips", and move and copy, the options change.

For example, if you chose "project", "copy" and "relink to new files", along with the option which trims the media to media used, MM should go through the entire project, trim all source files based on all the timelines, and link the timelines to the new trims.

There *is* a manual....

jsmith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 11:16 pm

John Paines wrote:
Australian Image wrote:OK, I tried that and it did create a slightly smaller set of BRAW files and included the audio files. What I didn't get were any of the edits that were done in the original

You need to either select an option which gives you the "relink to new files" box to check, or a move operation, which will do the relinking automatically. Between the choice of "project", "timeline" and "clips", and move and copy, the options change.

For example, if you chose "project", "copy" and "relink to new files", along with the option which trims the media to media used, MM should go through the entire project, trim all source files based on all the timelines, and link the timelines to the new trims.

There *is* a manual....

I thought he just wanted to archive the smaller raw files not the whole project. A reminder though that the edits cannot be appended to the footage unless transcoded which you cannot do with BRAW. You can store the edits in the project file though and relink the trimmed media like John has said. I tend to clean up things and clear out the padding before I start editing. You're 100% right though as an exercise in project consolidation that's how you do it. <3 Thanks for filling in the blanks, John! :)

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 9:13 am

Use search :D

jsmith

PostFri Apr 05, 2019 12:42 pm

Australian Image wrote:
John Paines wrote:

There *is* a manual....

What has been suggested does seem to work. What I need to test is whether storing the reduced files in a separate folder after all the editing is done creates an independent set of files. Re-linking isn't an issue if the cropped BRAW files are indeed the originals cropped.

Microsoft also provided a comprehensive manual for its Office suite. For some reason the 'Idiot's Guide to Office' was really popular. Personally, going through a 3000 page PDF file is a lot harder than using a paper manual, but I'm not going to print things out.

The "Copy" tab makes a new copy of the files
The "Move" tab moves the present files to a new directory. This is the option you want if you want to make the changes to the originals. I wouldn't recommend this unless you're 100% certain there isn't some footage that isn't in the timeline that needs to be saved that might have been trimmed out (example; footage that might be used for a BTS reel).
The "Transcode" tab allows you to convert your files from one format to another and save them to another directory.

You have the option of "{Function} and trim used media keeping *0* frame handles" on both "Copy" and "Move" tabs which is what will trim the clips and keep them the in BRAW. If you transcode you will not be able to keep them in BRAW.

Now that you know where the Media management settings are the rest should be pretty self explanatory.
Previous

Return to Cinematography