Blackmagic RAW

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Blackmagic RAW

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:42 pm

Sorry, Wayne, that post of mine was just a sly reference to your other thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 5:49 pm

rick.lang wrote:Timbutt2 and Donnell: forget about betting souls. Money: That’s What I want!

I'm willing to trade Tim's soul for money. Like Wally said, "I never use that thing."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

timbutt2

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:51 am

Just remember that when dealing in souls...
crowley__s_deal_by_mademoiselle_anna-d5i8fsr.png
Crowley, King of the Crossroads
crowley__s_deal_by_mademoiselle_anna-d5i8fsr.png (239.64 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 4:57 am

Ooh, so creepy!

Sure you're not a Black Adda fan? :)
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Vess Stoytchev

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 7:24 am

Gavin_c_clark wrote:I had a job this morning where I figured it was time to take the plunge and try out braw on a paid gig. (I had other cameras on it, locked off for safety, this was my first go with it in a high pressure paid shoot- we had an hour and fifteen to get 30 plus shots which was nuts, and given that we had no time to review as we shot I was sweating buckets on the two hour drive home)

I’m back from the job now and syncing up and editing in resolve (not used it for edit before, usually use premiere, occasionally media composer)

I am blown away by how this entire pipeline fits together. I’m cutting full res raw off of the ssd in my pc. And all I had to do was copy the cards three times- I’ve not had to transcode anything- and this will save me an immense amount of time. And as a first time resolve editor I’m a fan. And the quality on my playback monitor is amazing.

Seriously, we’ll done blackmagic. I cannot see me going back to prores after this. Hats off to you

Same here. I documented a march/campaign and the post work is a charm. Files are great to handle, wonderful to colour.

berrawa

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:51 am

We took a leap of faith and have just finished principal photography on our feature using Blackmagic RAW 3:1. The workflow is a dream and it looks amazing, no transcoding required. What's it going to be like once it comes out of beta? Well done Blackmagic and thank you, your timing on release worked perfectly for us.
Darren Berry

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 12:16 pm

What people should ask, is what is it going look like on a low noise Pocket 4k? This could be rather sensational if it delivers without issue.
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

timbutt2

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 5:39 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Ooh, so creepy!

Sure you're not a Black Adda fan? :)

Lol! I’m not sure how many Supernatural fans are on here. But, 14-seasons and I’m sure there are a few here.

Donnell Henry

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Big supernatural fan here ..as a matter of fact myself and Jensen ackles share the same birthday. As for souls Tim, yours would’ve fetched at least 2 Ursa mini pro’s with an instant BRAW release for the Ursa 4.6k . Apparently they’re worth something at least on supernatural.
:)
GODS CREATE

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 7:12 pm

berrawa wrote:We took a leap of faith and have just finished principal photography on our feature using Blackmagic RAW 3:1. The workflow is a dream and it looks amazing, no transcoding required. What's it going to be like once it comes out of beta? Well done Blackmagic and thank you, your timing on release worked perfectly for us.

Sounds good! Any sneak peek?

Wayne Steven

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 10:50 pm

I misspelled. I wanted to post a link to when Black Adder meets Bob in the "Bells" episode, but didn't find a decent one, for those who want to kiss each other for advantage. But this will do, notice the resemblance (even more without beard).

Charles Unice

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 3:17 pm

Has any one addressed that we lost highlight recovery when you shoot BRAW???. That is one of the reasons why I shoot raw CDNG. We got back the blown out clouds while shooting out side. We no longer have that feature in the BRAW codec. I love what BRAW is doing but I also like the highlight recovery feature of the CDNG files. Part of me feel like BRAW is not really a “raw” codec if your not getting the full advantage or range of the sensor. Thoughts?

roger.magnusson

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Someone from BMD said in one of the facebook groups that they are looking at adding more controls to the BRAW panel. It's still in beta.

However, you are already getting the full range of the sensor. The highlight recovery feature doesn't add any "lost" dynamic range, it simply uses non-clipped channels to create a new version for a clipped channel. If all three channels are clipped it can't do anything.

Adam Silver

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Charles Unice wrote:Has any one addressed that we lost highlight recovery when you shoot BRAW???. That is one of the reasons why I shoot raw CDNG. We got back the blown out clouds while shooting out side. We no longer have that feature in the BRAW codec. I love what BRAW is doing but I also like the highlight recovery feature of the CDNG files. Part of me feel like BRAW is not really a “raw” codec if your not getting the full advantage or range of the sensor. Thoughts?

Did BMD say that they were dropping CDNG? Or just adding BRAW? If they're not dropping CDNG, then you're not losing anything.

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:Someone from BMD said in one of the facebook groups that they are looking at adding more controls to the BRAW panel.

That was me, and we are looking.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

joe12south

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 8:38 pm

CaptainHook wrote:
roger.magnusson wrote:Someone from BMD said in one of the facebook groups that they are looking at adding more controls to the BRAW panel.

Yay. more control is good is why we choose RAW. ;-)
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

timbutt2

PostTue Oct 30, 2018 10:03 pm

CaptainHook wrote:

Hook, have I ever told you that you're my hero?

Wayne Steven

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:31 am

Vhat, Peter Pan isn't your hero?!

Wayne Steven

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 12:34 am

roger.magnusson wrote:Someone from BMD said in one of the facebook groups that they are looking at adding more controls to the BRAW panel. It's still in beta.

However, you are already getting the full range of the sensor. The highlight recovery feature doesn't add any "lost" dynamic range, it simply uses non-clipped channels to create a new version for a clipped channel. If all three channels are clipped it can't do anything.

Yes, that's intelligent. I wonder how the SDR to HDR converters do it?

timbutt2

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:26 am

Wayne Steven wrote:Vhat, Peter Pan isn't your hero?!

Peter Pan kidnaps kids. So Hook is really the tragic hero because he’s trying to stop Pan.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:54 am

timbutt2 wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Vhat, Peter Pan isn't your hero?!

Peter Pan kidnaps kids. So Hook is really the tragic hero because he’s trying to stop Pan.

I thought they just followed him around? fortunately he's only 12 or whatever.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 8:56 am

New 8k Panasonic organic sensor camera announced. A bit of a disappointment. They promise a video system by 2020.

michaeldhead

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:New 8k Panasonic organic sensor camera announced. A bit of a disappointment. They promise a video system by 2020.

What does that have to do with Blackmagic raw?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

joe12south

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 4:13 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:New 8k Panasonic organic sensor camera announced. A bit of a disappointment. They promise a video system by 2020.

Some more random news: https://www.cnn.com/
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:50 am

michaeldhead wrote:

What does that have to do with Blackmagic raw?

Another reason to be happy about your BM Raw camera purchase. Honestly, competition is behind with superior color, dynamic range etc, only a video system in 2020, likely a lot more expensive, and real competition maybe over 2 years out. Current investments and next BM model, likely to remain current or top league till then, unless they release lesser models with organic technology before then. Seriously how does your brain work not to see or just feel this Michaeld?

:D

michaeldhead

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 4:27 am

Wayne Steven wrote:. Seriously how does your brain work not to see or just feel this Michaeld?

:D

Up until this statement, your response was decent. Then you went off the deep end and decided to turn it into an attempt to be degrading and insulting. Good job. Does that make you feel better about yourself? Typically that’s the reason I see people make statements like this online - they think it makes them superior when all it does is demonstrate a bullying attitude and lack of self esteem. Keep that nonsense to yourself, please. You’re not making me feel bad since my value does not depend on your approval, and you’re just demonstrating foolishness and attempted cyber bullying.

On topic: I’m very excited to finally be getting my Pocket 4k, and I, for one, would love a timeframe for when we get to test it out on the Pocket 4k.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Re-edit:

Deleted the bit where I quote somebody's own words back to reflect their past behaviour.

So, just have a sense of humour the next time you pick on somebody and they reflect back? But you're probably not Australian so probably don't get the original old school humour (of bagging each other, especially to maintain the level, but too freindly). Sorry, luv you man, just return the same.

Re-edit: the joke, notice the :D , is who thinks like that. So, how can one expect somebody else to think like that.

Notice I'm generally supportive and inclusive of other's statements, which are not actually picking. Progress is generally, expansive in considerations, not restrictive. Culling and practicality and morality aside. .. Just trust I'm saying something for good reason. The negative news (long waited for in the industry) is evidently a good vibe for BM products. But, yes, wrong thread. After all this time BM is looking best value. Therefore BM rules for now. :)
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:09 am, edited 6 times in total.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:13 pm

Ahh, sorry about the Michaeld misspelling, Michael. From the user name I thought it might have been a foreign spelling. I tend to respect people's names.

michaeldhead

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:So, just have a sense of humour the next time you pick on somebody and they reflect back? ....Just trust I'm saying something first good reason.

"Just trust...first (sic) good reason"? No, that's not how polite society works, even online. Only a fool says insulting things and says "I was only kidding".

I didn't "pick on you" - I asked you a question about a seemingly off-topic post that you made. If you think that's "picking on you", then your sensibilities are completely skewed. And like I said, your response was decent until you decided to make your "joke". And all you proved is that you like to try to make yourself look superior while actually making yourself look like a donkey.

Good luck with that.

Edit: Thank you, Tony. Will do.
Last edited by michaeldhead on Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm

I guess it's been awhile since I've had to say this but...

Keep it on topic or we'll close the thread. :roll:
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 6:19 pm

4K Shooters has some great comparison tests of the 6.0beta braw on the URSA Mini Pro:

Rather jaw-dropping. Pixel peepers enjoy the differences in a comparison, but the differences are very subtle. If you can afford the media and storage, sure Q0 and 3:1 are winners, but in a normal shoot without side-by-side comparisons, it’s your choice what you settle on as your preference weighing accuracy against efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 9:44 pm

rick.lang wrote:

Thx for the video. Is it just me or is there something goofy going with the focal plane between some of the ratios? I believe 12:1 and 8:1 is a bit off, making them look worse.
I like that it manages to show the different noise structure between the ratios quite effective. Interesting.

Wayne Steven

PostThu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:I guess it's been awhile since I've had to say this but...

Ok too. Just history. I'll have to message him.

DorisLondon

PostFri Nov 02, 2018 9:43 pm

Tony Rivera wrote:I guess it's been awhile since I've had to say this but...

Thank heavens for that Tony. Well done.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

antoine

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:19 pm

Hello there,

We developed a new plugin for Adobe video software to import .BRAW called BRAW Studio (https://autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio/). Currently only supports Windows but would love to have your feedback on it ! OSX and others hosts are coming soon

Regards,
Antoine
BRAW Studio FREE and Premium for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects, with a brand new Desktop .BRAW Player and Color Grader, as well as an automatic White Balance Color Picker tool

Chris Chiasson

PostTue Mar 05, 2019 5:35 pm

I hope they update the player to run better on computers with no GPU, and more CPU focused, like the 13 inch MacBook Pros (or in my case, a 2013 MacBook Pro which lost it's Nvidia GPU support) or the Mac Mini. Because mine plays it choppy with the player with the sample footage I tested it.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Mar 06, 2019 6:48 am

Braw has been released for the Pocket 4k. Now we can see how good it is.

Jesse Widener

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 10:26 am

Chris Chiasson wrote:I hope they update the player to run better on computers with no GPU, and more CPU focused, like the 13 inch MacBook Pros (or in my case, a 2013 MacBook Pro which lost it's Nvidia GPU support) or the Mac Mini. Because mine plays it choppy with the player with the sample footage I tested it.

Agreed. A director/producer I am working with is using a 2013-2014 MacBook Pro and I need to give him dailies but the video lags the audio in BRAW player. A simple option to play back at 1/2 or 1/4 resolution would solve the matter for older computers I think. He doesn't need to playback at full 4k for dailies anyway.
Last edited by Jesse Widener on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse Widener

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 10:27 am

In the initial BRAW video with Grant, at the 24:44 mark he says BRAW files can be rendered back out from Resolve as a way to consolidate edits. How is this done in Resolve? I would think it would be in the Deliver module but I see no such option.

jsmith

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Jesse Widener wrote:In the initial BRAW video with Grant, at the 24:44 mark he says BRAW files can be rendered back out from Resolve as a way to consolidate edits. How is this done in Resolve? I would think it would be in the Deliver module but I see no such option.

No re-render. Clips can be trimmed. You can do this using media management to output them as new smaller versions. It's pretty simple but if you have further questions I might do a quick screencast when I get back to the office.
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Video Card: AMD Radeon VII | VRAM: 16GB | Playback: Intensity Pro 4k
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

Jesse Widener

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Hello Jaymes,

Thank you for the response! In Grant's video he definitely says "render out" and "re-render" the files, and the way he talks about it seems to suggest a whole project with multiple clips could be consolidated into one (he also says "consolidated"...not that I would necessarily want to do that but it's the impression I got). It could just be his presentation semantics were open to interpretation where they should have been more clear.

In any case, a quick tutorial would be awesome...or even if you could just direct me to where in the manual it talks about this because I've done multiple searches and can't find it. I am especially interested to know if I can replace the scratch audio I have in the file with a sync'd audio track from another source.

Strangely a search for BRAW in the manual returns nothing, though I noticed the PDF manual included with resolve 15.3 says "August 2018" on the cover. Seems like the manual needs an update.

Many thanks!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:49 pm

Rendering BRAW makes no sense (you not going to eg. add burnt in subs and export as BRAW :D ). Trimming, so exporting existing frames is all what we need (aka smart rendering).
The only time when BRAw encoding would make sense is some special transcoding tool for RAW formats. You could take cDNG Raw and convert to BRAW (like you can do with Cineform RAW).
Last edited by Andrew Kolakowski on Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jesse Widener

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Rendering BRAW makes no sense (you not going to eg .add burnt in subs and export as BRAW :D ). Trimming, so exporting existing frames is all what we need (aka smart rendering).

Hello Andrew,

That is generally what I figured. However as in my post above I am hoping that includes being able to swap out the audio for a different track. Also, being able to re-save (that a better term?) a whole project out as one .braw file once picture is locked could be convenient...though that is not my primary need here.

Many thanks!
Last edited by Jesse Widener on Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 pm

BRAW uses basically MOV container with video and audio being separate tracks, so audio can be easily replaced during export (with video just trimmed and copied from original file).

John Paines

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 10:26 pm

Australian Image wrote:What would be a handy thing is that when an edit is completed, that you could tell Resolve to apply the edit to the original files (the cuts) and then save the original files with those cuts. Then you could have a much smaller set of raw files for archiving.

I asked this question in the DaVinci Resolve forum and you can save the edit as a project file, but it doesn't seem to apply the edits to the original files, unless I'm doing something wrong. At first I thought it did, but it doesn't look like it does.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you'te saying, but if you want to trim the original files to the length of the cuts on the timeline, with or without handles, this is accomplished with Media Management, and works with braw. You can then archive the project.

John Paines

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 pm

The timeline can't spontaneous trim source files. No NLE offers that feature. That's what Media Management is for, once the timeline is finished.

Or I just don't understand what you're seeking.

Heliwalker

PostWed Apr 03, 2019 11:59 pm

That is precisely what the Media Manager does. You use it once you’ve finished your edit to collate a copy of only the used media (you can select handles if you want) and these files will be saved into a selected folder that you can then archive. With braw, all the sidecar files will be saved too.

jsmith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:05 am

Jesse Widener wrote:Hello Jaymes,

Thank you for the response! In Grant's video he definitely says "render out" and "re-render" the files, and the way he talks about it seems to suggest a whole project with multiple clips could be consolidated into one (he also says "consolidated"...not that I would necessarily want to do that but it's the impression I got). It could just be his presentation semantics were open to interpretation where they should have been more clear.

In any case, a quick tutorial would be awesome...or even if you could just direct me to where in the manual it talks about this because I've done multiple searches and can't find it. I am especially interested to know if I can replace the scratch audio I have in the file with a sync'd audio track from another source.

Strangely a search for BRAW in the manual returns nothing, though I noticed the PDF manual included with resolve 15.3 says "August 2018" on the cover. Seems like the manual needs an update.

Many thanks!

Hi Jesse,

Here you go (No narration):
https://d.pr/IykMM6

The one thing to remember is it only works for trimming out frames without re-encode. It can be done with other codecs like Prores as well but not all codecs.
OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1903) | Processor:i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz | Memory: 32GB RAM |
Resolve Version: 16.0.0B.033 | GPU Driver: Adrenaline 2019 19.5.2 [[Updated:6/17/2019]]

Jesse Widener

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 am

I don't know if I am taking this thread off topic since I am getting on a specific thing here but...

I see how to re-save out edited cuts of clips now via Media Management. However, I am still unclear how to swap out the audio in the new clip. In the Timeline I have sync'd up the primary audio and deleted the scratch (manually sync'd in this particular case), then "linked" the new audio track to the video clip. When I use Media Management, the resulting file is the correct segment of the video clip but still maintains the scratch audio, not the swapped in audio. What am I missing?

Many thanks!

jsmith

PostThu Apr 04, 2019 1:25 am

Jesse Widener wrote:I don't know if I am taking this thread off topic since I am getting on a specific thing here but...

I see how to re-save out edited cuts of clips now via Media Management. However, I am still unclear how to swap out the audio in the new clip. In the Timeline I have sync'd up the primary audio and deleted the scratch (manually sync'd in this particular case), then "linked" the new audio track to the video clip. When I use Media Management, the resulting file is the correct segment of the video clip but still maintains the scratch audio, not the swapped in audio. What am I missing?

Many thanks!

Whoops! Glossed over that. I don't believe you can because the audio would need to be rendered. Anything that has to been rendered (audio/FX) can't be injected into the new file (I could be wrong but I'll let other folks answer that more definitively).
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography