Blackmagic RAW on the Ursa Mini 4.6k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Blackmagic RAW on the Ursa Mini 4.6k?

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:
Stephen Fitzgerald wrote: I don't mind CDNG @ 3:1.

Then you'll be pleased to know that you can have Gen4 color on your Ursa Mini 4.6K right now. Open your cDNG files in Resolve 15 and you'll see that Gen4 color is an option in the raw tab.

Jamie, yes, you can do that today on the original URSA Mini 4.6K camera but John Brawley has posted that Colour 4 is not yet fully implemented for the camera; when another firmware update is applied, there will be some processing of the image data in-camera that will be done differently for Colour 4.

John made that comment outside the context of BRAW. If I’ve misinterpreted something, hopefully John or the Captain will correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi Rick : )

I'm pretty sure what you're referring to is that there is also a new debayer added to the Ursa Mini Pro in addition to the Gen4 color. So, cDNG clips from the 4.6K can be decoded in Resolve with the same Gen4 color, but the sharpness/grain structure and the appearance of the motion cadence will be different from BRAW UMP clips.

That's my understanding at least. As you say, perhaps JB or Hook can chime in and clarify.
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 6:59 pm

Sounds reasonable, thanks Jamie.

Rick Lang

TomGruber

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 pm

Another claim of eliminated FPN from respected cinematographer Ed David. Also, his comparison footage of CinemaDNG vs BRAW:

Gruber Pictures, New York

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 8:33 pm

TomGruber wrote:Another claim of eliminated FPN from respected cinematographer Ed David. Also, his comparison footage of CinemaDNG vs BRAW:

WHOA, OK Blackmagic, it's time. Please get this fix to FPN @1600 iso into the UM 4.6k PRONTO!!!!!

Why is the noise performance so much better? I just keep wondering if this is 100% because of the BRAW codec only. I'd like to see the noise improvement in ProRes too if possible. Can you at least give an update to the firmware to give improved noise performance?

Ignacio Carrere

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 pm

+1, please Black Magic, what you´ve done is great, don´t punish early adopters!

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 pm

Ignacio Carrere wrote:+1, please Black Magic, what you´ve done is great, don´t punish early adopters!

Early adopters? I just bought a 4.6k brand new last month. I didn't need the built in ND filters, I thought the 4.6k was just an alternate model, not some type of downgrade. Whatever Blackmagic.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:49 pm

Agree, Stephen. When you don’t need all the buttons, when you like a larger monitor, when you already own full sets of ND, when you are going to use a matte box anyway. URSA Mini 4.6K fills the bill.

Rick Lang

Ignacio Carrere

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Stephen Fitzgerald wrote:Early adopters? I just bought a 4.6k brand new last month. I didn't need the built in ND filters, I thought the 4.6k was just an alternate model, not some type of downgrade. Whatever Blackmagic.

Yes, en my case early adopter. We waited many months to be able to buy it, and didn´t have the chance to choose built in ND filters, would´ve bought the PRO if avalaible at that moment.

Now I am an BMPCC4K early adopter too (it means we trust BM). I hope to be well treated in future.

pprokhor

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 10:55 pm

It would be nice to know as soon as possible if it's even technically possible to get BRAW into URSA Mini 4.6k. If not, I will be swapping my UM to URSA Mini Pro, I guess.
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G2307)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), 2.9 GHz Intel Core i9, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4096 MB, Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB (eGPU), Radeon RX 580 8192 MB (eGPU)
Database (PostgreSQL) and media are on QNAP via T3, NFS.

Ignacio Carrere

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:00 pm

pprokhor wrote:It would be nice to know as soon as possible if it's even technically possible to get BRAW into URSA Mini 4.6k. If not, I will be swapping my UM to URSA Mini Pro, I guess.

+1

Ryan Earl

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:12 pm

I don't know, I'm still seeing some FPN in the shadows in the images with the babies, not sure about what compression or iso they are?

I also prefer the Raw 4:1 in the grading samples of his face, but admit there is less noise in the background with BRAW.

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 11:13 pm

I should mention when evaluating Nate’s footage, I have it on my lowly iMac 27” late 2015 on a Resolve 15 4608x2592 timeline so I can see every pixel on the 27” 5120x2880 screen and it plays without a glitch! That might be helped by having the Render cache set to Smart.

Rick Lang

Myron Davis

PostSun Oct 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Kays Alatrakchi wrote:I can't believe that anyone would feel that way. I will gladly shoot on a BMCC 2.5K any day of the week. Are we forgetting so soon that Blackmagic added so many new features to that camera than when it first came out including compressed CDNG options, histograms and other very handy new functionality.

If anyone's BMD camera is gathering dust, please let me know as I will gladly take it off their hands. I will even pay for postage!

The Ursa Mini 4.6k is still a fantastic camera BRAW or not.

Seriously, WTF is wrong with you people?!?

Yeah, this is true. I am shooting with Production 4k and the image is superb and has been since day 1.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 12:58 am

Ignacio Carrere wrote:
pprokhor wrote:It would be nice to know as soon as possible if it's even technically possible to get BRAW into URSA Mini 4.6k. If not, I will be swapping my UM to URSA Mini Pro, I guess.

+1
We hope so. Please bear with us. We have not forgotten you.

As we said at IBC, we are working on finishing the general release for the Mini Pro. Pocket 4K will be next and we will also look at what other cameras we can get it into.

The good news for the URSA Mini 4.6K is the sensor profiling work is already done.

:D

rick.lang

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:04 am

And the GUI and Menu is almost done.

Rick Lang

Asit Jain

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 am

Tim Schumann wrote:
Ignacio Carrere wrote:

+1

As we said at IBC, we are working on finishing the general release for the Mini Pro. Pocket 4K will be next and we will also look at what other cameras we can get it into.

The good news for the URSA Mini 4.6K is the sensor profiling work is already done.

Thanks BlackMagic Team. Eagerly waiting. :D

DorisLondon

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 11:54 am

Cheers for the update Blackmagic Team. Same here , I'm waiting with the baited breath.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Last edited by DorisLondon on Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tristan Pemberton

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 2:04 pm

That would be a huge welcome bonus if it's rolled out to UM4.6k!

Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

timbutt2

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 2:26 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
Ignacio Carrere wrote:

+1

Thank you for the update Tim! I'm eagerly anticipating BRAW coming to the UM4.6K like everyone else. After doing the number crunching it will become my main shooting format exclusively. You guys did an amazing job with the compression and quality.

The fact that I could shoot 4.6K 12:1 on a 128 GB card and get 57 minutes vs shooting 1080 HD ProRes 444 and getting 63 minutes is amazing. I don't mind that I lose 6 minutes of recording time to have RAW and 4.6K because those are welcome improvement. So 4.6K RAW 12:1 will become my main choice for anything that would have been 1080 HD in the past, and means it's UHD future proof at the same time.

You guys are the best. I'm positive the UM4.6K can handle it. So excited, and can't wait!
"Movies are not watched. They are an encounter with a life's experience not your own." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini 4.6K EF & Cinema Camera 2.5K EF
Computers: iMac 5K (Late 2015) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Early 2013)

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Thank you Blackmagic for the update, this is the kind of communication we needed. I’m really looking forward to the new color science and the ability to shoot on smaller SSD’s, really needed when using the one a lot one for the UM

DorisLondon

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 7:54 pm

I repeat, Great progress update from the Blackmagic Team. But Ursa 4.6k owners and others ( myself included )
Don't! jump the gun and get to confidant. We will have to wait and see for the outcome in regards colour science 4 and BRAW for cameras other than the ones already stated. "Jus sayin"

Ignacio Carrere

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 pm

Tim Schumann wrote:
Ignacio Carrere wrote:

+1

Very good news :D

Jon O'Neill

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:48 am

Hi, any news on mini 4.6k colour science 4 or braw?

DorisLondon

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:53 am

My guess will be early part of 2019. I very much doubt it will arrive before then. IMO.

Craig Sawyer

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 9:30 am

Jon O'Neill wrote:Hi, any news on mini 4.6k colour science 4 or braw?

Seeing as the update from BM said they would be sorting it on the BMPCC4K next, I wouldn’t hold your breath for any time soon..
URSA Mini Pro and BMPCC4K
Previous

Return to Cinematography