Blackmagic RAW on the Ursa Mini 4.6k?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

timbutt2

Re: Blackmagic RAW on the Ursa Mini 4.6k?

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Ivon Visalli wrote:
timbutt2 wrote:
Denny Smith wrote:Just go for it Tim.

In 3-Weeks I'm going for it! Might not get the G2 in time for the short, but we'll see what shipping times are like in 3-weeks when I go for it.

Alas, Tim, I always thought the Hannibal Barca movie would be shot on an Ursa Mini 4.6K, but maybe it will have to be the G2.

We’ll see. I may be making something else with the G2…

That I just pre-ordered! We’ll see how long before B&H ships it. They estimated July as the “Expected Availability” on the Product Page. My fingers are crossed it comes sooner.

Now my Credit Cards are going in a drawer not to be touched until they are paid off. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I'm well trained in the art of turning **** to gold." - Tim Buttner (timbutt2)

Cameras: URSA Mini Pro G2 & Pocket 6K Pro
Past: UM4.6K, P6K, BMCC 2.5K
Computers: iMac 5K (Mid 2020) & MacBook Pro Retina 15.4in (Mid 2018)

Ivon Visalli

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 6:16 pm

Congratulations, Tim.

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 7:55 pm

Yeaaaaaaah get that G2 Tim!!
Let us know as soon as you get it, would love to know how long pre-order to delivery is at this point.

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Stephen Fitzgerald wrote:Yeaaaaaaah get that G2 Tim!!
Let us know as soon as you get it, would love to know how long pre-order to delivery is at this point.

Will do! My fingers are crossed it arrives just before my birthday on July 13! I'll let you know either way. June 4th is the order date, so if it ships July 4th then we know 1-month.

Donnell Henry

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 3:24 am

Congrats Tim. I ordered mine in early April from Adorama. I haven’t received it yet tho. They said, as we all know it’s a blackmagic shipping thing so i’m Still waiting. At least i’m next in line to get mine. If it comes within the month i’ll Let you guys know. B&H did say July so hopefully you get it before your bday.
GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 4:59 am

Donnell Henry wrote:Congrats Tim. I ordered mine in early April from Adorama. I haven’t received it yet tho. They said, as we all know it’s a blackmagic shipping thing so i’m Still waiting. At least i’m next in line to get mine. If it comes within the month i’ll Let you guys know. B&H did say July so hopefully you get it before your bday.

The key for me is the week after my birthday is when I shoot the short I’m shooting. Fingers crossed since I want to use the G2 for it. Otherwise classic UM4.6K.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 5:12 am

Congratulations Tim, and good luck with the short film.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostWed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 am

I may be pining for last year’s old socks, not like you folks who are keeping up with the times, but thank goodness I’m old fashioned and can sip an old fashioned and still be in love with that old girl Mini 46!

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostThu Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pm

timbutt2 wrote:
Donnell Henry wrote:Congrats Tim. I ordered mine in early April from Adorama. I haven’t received it yet tho. They said, as we all know it’s a blackmagic shipping thing so i’m Still waiting. At least i’m next in line to get mine. If it comes within the month i’ll Let you guys know. B&H did say July so hopefully you get it before your bday.

The key for me is the week after my birthday is when I shoot the short I’m shooting. Fingers crossed since I want to use the G2 for it. Otherwise classic UM4.6K.

Update, I spoke with a representative from B&H recently to try to gauge where in the pre-order line I am. They told me that they don't have that info, but that they have a large batch of cameras that will be coming in July 1 that should fulfill all their pre-orders. So, that should help with answering some questions about B&H orders. Again, it's all about how many units the reseller orders. B&H is one of the largest resellers in the country. So Adorama should also be getting some units soon as well.

And, I'm happy with the thought that I should have my camera just before my birthday. Perfect for the short film the week after.

Donnell Henry

PostThu Jun 20, 2019 11:42 pm

Ok Tim so my G2 came today. That should means you should get yours soon maybe within the next 3-4 weeks at B&H. I ordered at Adorama.
GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 12:57 am

Donnell Henry wrote:Ok Tim so my G2 came today. That should means you should get yours soon maybe within the next 3-4 weeks at B&H. I ordered at Adorama.

Sweet! Great to hear Donnell! Well, I'm satisfied today anyways since I was a winner of the CoreSWX $500 Core Cash Giveaway. https://www.instagram.com/p/By5nkA8nFhd/

Used the $500 to buy a new CoreSWX HyperCore 150Wh battery. Perfect to use on my G2 when B&H finally ships it. Fingers crossed it's the first week of July!

Donnell Henry

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 1:37 am

Oh nice Tim wow! Yes the stars are lining up for that G2 :D
GODS CREATE

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 4:35 pm

We are nearing 1-month since the last firmware update. I suspect we should be getting one again soon. My fingers are crossed that it's an update that will give BRAW to the UM4.6K. That would make it so that when the G2 arrives the UM4.6K can be used as a B-Camera. Otherwise, I'll likely sell the UM4.6K once the G2 is in hand.

And on another note. The 150Wh HyperCore I won arrived yesterday. I tested it already and got 3.5-hours on the UM4.6K. More than likely the UMP G1 & G2 get the same amount of battery life.

timbutt2

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 4:36 pm

By the way, Donnell have you got any footage to share yet from your G2?

Valentin Remy

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 7:32 pm

When the news about B RAW on the 4.6k is so non-existent that the conversation shifts to the G2 :p

Sad !
http://www.instagram.com/valentinremy.be/

Donnell Henry

PostTue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 pm

Hey Tim I’m in the middle of shooting a music video with it (G2) as well as the G1. I’ll post the video here when i’m Done.
GODS CREATE

Hussain Abdullah

PostThu Jun 27, 2019 12:21 pm

An update would be helpful, though. Something along the lines of "we're still working on it" in case they are.
Filmmaker Reel: https://vimeo.com/321625960
IMDb: www.imdb.com/name/nm3262249

Andreas Eymannsberger

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 11:56 am

I have a certain apprehension that what most of the old UM46 users are hoping for is not coming any time at all.

There has been so much time since the last firmware upgrade, that the deviation between the different Ursa generations has become so large, that a new firmware for the old UM46 would be like a complete firmware overhaul, not just some minor updates apart from the whole BRAW thing.

To demonstrate, leave alone some hardware-exclusive fixes for the G2, there have been so many changes even to the UI that it's not just BRAW anymore:

Code: Select all
What's new in Blackmagic Camera Setup 6.3
New support for URSA Mini Pro G2

Add slow-mo frame rates up to 120 fps in 4.6K Blackmagic RAW.
Add windowed rates up to 150 fps in Ultra HD Blackmagic RAW.
Add windowed rates up to 300 frames in HD Blackmagic RAW.
Add frame rates up to 120 fps in Ultra HD ProRes.
Add windowed rates up to 240 fps in 2K and HD ProRes.
Add common off-speed frame rate options above slider.
Add ability to embed custom LUTs in Blackmagic RAW clips.
Add touch-to-focus for EF, PL and B4 lenses with focus servo.
Add ability to change ISO in 1/3 stop increments and ISO slider.
Add Generation 4 color science and HDR LUTs.
Add USB-C Recording to flash disks.
Add support for pixel recalibration on black shading in camera.
Add ability to adjust Line level audio.
Add quick media switching from the heads up display.
Add ability to remap the HFR button.
Add ability to disable function and HFR buttons.
Add LUT icon to Status Text overlays.
Add 'PRE icon to Status Text overlays for preset timecode.
Improved auto focus performance.
Improved media formatting user interface.
Added URSA Mini Pro G2 information to URSA Mini Manual.

With 6.4 now we are getting closer to firmware generation 7 (I don't guess that we'll see 6.8-6.9.1) which would leave the UM46 about two generations behind by then. I fear that this opportunity has passed, with the G2 now more than ever. BMD just wants us to buy the G2 instead of handing the original UM46 off with a nice farewell. I can't blame them at this point, it's just that the update could have easily come out when they dropped cDNG in the UM Pro 46.

DorisLondon

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Yes exactly. This BRaw update was a pipe dream. Which has always been in the balance.
Move on people.

Doris

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Since I’m already upgrading to the G2 because I wanted to wait for the next camera after the Pro G1, I’d still love for BRAW to come to the UM4.6K so that I could use it as a BCAM.

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 8:13 pm

Don’t know, but I believe BM would actually benefit delivering BRAW to the old gal mini-46.

I know people that only own the mini46 from BM. Point is. When they get into BRAW, than the G2 get even more tasty. It’s easy to accept prores and continue using it,
because it’s good. But BRAW is better, and it’s hard going back to prores after using. Only than you truly realize the bells and whistles of the G2 and start longing for it... Or I’m full of sh@“& only try to convince some hidden BM representatives... which probably ain’t listening anyways.

At least I tried.

James Alexander Barnett

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 5:42 am

I don’t think BRaw on the standard UM is possible otherwise surely they would of done it by now. I’m super bummed about it as I have the standard UM and would love it.

As always I wish they would just communicate and let us know, I’m holding onto mine in the hope we will get it, however if they came out and just said it can’t be done I would potentially be more interested in an upgrade to the G2.
James Alexander Barnett
www.jamesalexanderdp.co.uk
URSA Mini 4.6k
Pocket 6k Pro

Emilian Dechev

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 8:12 am

I think holding back this information is actually a BAD move from Blackmagic.

If BM tells me at 100%, that BRAW will not be available on the original 4.6K, I will surely buy the Pro.

So, please someone from "marketing" call the "R&D" and ask the question for the good of the company :roll:

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 12:34 pm

Having BRAW and Colour Science 4 on the BMPCC4K has added that option for me. And I’m amazed that I can record both Q0 and Q5 for the normal ‘cinematic’ frame rates on my Wise SD 128GB card (and the Wise Portable 1 TB SSD when it arrives shortly). Now Q0 is no slouch when it comes to fine detail in the tests I’ve been performing and Q5 in practice in a client shoot may often be indistinguishable when motion is involved.

But I’ve noticed in heavy grading that BRAW needs some extra care compared to ProRes; for example, BRAW saturation in an extreme grade is too high compared to ProRes that retains more natural saturation and colour. I haven’t done a CinemaDNG (USRA Mini 4.6K) versus BRAW (BMPCC4K) test yet, but that’s coming for a two camera shoot this month. It does give me some pause about abandoning CDNG entirely. I’ll know better this month after tests. But I did select ProRes Film for the shoot this week based on careful testing as I felt I needed more experience with BRAW before putting it in the narrative film.

At this point, personally, I feel it’s to my advantage to have BRAW Film, ProRes Film, and CinemaDNG Film in the toolbox. If I didn’t have the BMPCC4K, I’d be eager to put BRAW on the 4.6K. One of the main draws of BRAW are the Q5 and 8:1 or 12:1 recording options that save a lot of storage. That benefit goes away with Q0 and 3:1 recordings. The other huge benefit is the ability of underpowered computers to manage with BRAW. That is real.

And it’s possible that a future BRAW Colour Science 5 will make further improvements when extremely grading footage. The slight Colour shifts and heavier saturation may be totally my fault the way I was shooting ‘dawn for twilight’ so keep that in mind as I’m not condemning BRAW in general. And the BRAW effect in that test would have been perfect for some films but this narrative film is intended to be low key, not a remake of Alice in Wonderland.

Rick Lang

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm

Keep my mind everyone that I previously posted my experience from Cinegear where I asked in person to the product manager regarding this. He said “maybe” and “hopefully” nothing solid. I actually asked two different people there so I’m not sure if it’s possible because they keep saying hopefully.

To be 100% honest the G1 I bought is a great camera, I have no need for the HFR of the G2 and with the G1 you can keep CDNG AND BRAW! V6.0 has both. I wouldn’t buy a G1 full price, no way, but I got a great one at $3600. Should BRAW come to it. HELL YEAH, but honestly I think it’s just time to wait for the next camera update. Someone here got mad cause I just didn’t wait for BRAW to come to the 4.6k, but honestly, the G1 Pro has a lot more positives. You don’t need the G2, no, it’s all nice to haves. I know the G2 has FPN in underexposed shots, I used it at Cinegear, it reacted slightly better than the G1 in low light at 3200.

I’m the biggest proponent of updating the OG 4.6k, but I’m sure another firmware update will tell a lot of people what’s up.

timbutt2

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Thank you for your insight Stephen and Rick.

Today was the latest DaVinci Resolve 16 Beta release. It says right in the release notes that it is a candidate for final release. That means DaVinci Resolve 16 will be out of beta soon. Possibly this month.

I would say that the next Camera Firmware Update is likely to come soon as well. May 27th was the last one, so that means it's been over a month. Next week or the week after is a possibility if the team has something worth releasing.

Meanwhile, I spoke with B&H and they were expecting a large shipment from Blackmagic July 1st or 2nd. I was told by a B&H representative that Blackmagic contacted them to inform them that shipment was delayed and did not provide an estimated delivery date. That is completely understandable, and I don't blame BMD for not wanting to speculate with an estimate that they might not meet. Either way, that's the update for that. So I should probably get the G2 as soon as B&H gets their shipment and can send out the units.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 6:54 pm

Deleted
Rick Lang

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 10:34 pm

A bunch of great post in the resent part of this thread. Thank you for the insight.
Is BRAW flawed, yes unfortunately.
Is BRAW great, yes absolutely!

No doubt it’s a learning curve for all of us to master BRAW and tackle its shortcomings. It’s mostly about subjective expectation when it comes to workflow and Image quality. Prores still got it’s part, as Rick point out. Many of us still use it, and will in the future. Braw will evolve and new versions will come out as Tim and Stephen remind us. BM was fairly slow delivering BRAW to the pocket. I had the camera since last year and couldn’t believe the time it took BM to deliver braw. So there is still hope Emilian and James.

Let’s not forget. Mini46 is still a great event/concert/live camera. That will not change, regardless BRAW or not.

Donnell Henry

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 11:19 pm

timbutt2 wrote:By the way, Donnell have you got any footage to share yet from your G2?

Hi Tim I'm currently editing the music video. But I wanted to share with you a couple of color corrected stills from the music video. It was bright as hell that day. Used a 5450 color temp in cam. I haven't changed it in resolve.
Shot at 4.6k BRAW 8:1 Internal ND 6 stops. Used Wise SSD 1 TB connected via Usb C.

Music Video Still_2.3.1.png
BRAW 8:1
Music Video Still_2.3.1.png (835.69 KiB) Viewed 40388 times

Music video still_1.2.1.png
BRAW 8:1
Music video still_1.2.1.png (941.19 KiB) Viewed 40382 times
GODS CREATE

Jamie LeJeune

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Here's a single frame from interviews shot a few days ago on UMP G2
recorded at ISO800 as BRAW in "Film" mode with a custom REC709 transform LUT embedded in the metadata
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 4.51.11 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 4.51.11 PM.jpg (338 KiB) Viewed 40374 times

This is a link to a BRAW frame, if anyone wants to check it out in Resolve
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1z67L3T5nTokrrCD3Yw-GjEncK8QvczHK
www.cinedocs.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4601572/

rick.lang

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 3:18 am

Very nice, gents. Clients should be happy! The dynamic range in the EXT DAY is dynamite!

Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 4:17 am

Thank you rick. So far they love the stills. At least I know the color palette passed :)
GODS CREATE

Oyvind Fiksdal

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 5:57 am

Two shots with very different look to them, but same camera and codec. All about creative choices and taste. Very good example of variety. Thanks for sharing.

Rolands Briedis

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 6:43 pm

Still waiting for BRAW implementation on UM4.6K, because it is not posible to change my UM4.6K to other camera right now and probably many years. I know that there is many filmmakers behind me expecting the same from Blackmagic Design.

Oyvind Fiksdal wrote:A bunch of great post in the resent part of this thread. Thank you for the insight.
Is BRAW flawed, yes unfortunately.
Is BRAW great, yes absolutely!

No doubt it’s a learning curve for all of us to master BRAW and tackle its shortcomings. It’s mostly about subjective expectation when it comes to workflow and Image quality. Prores still got it’s part, as Rick point out. Many of us still use it, and will in the future. Braw will evolve and new versions will come out as Tim and Stephen remind us. BM was fairly slow delivering BRAW to the pocket. I had the camera since last year and couldn’t believe the time it took BM to deliver braw. So there is still hope Emilian and James.

Let’s not forget. Mini46 is still a great event/concert/live camera. That will not change, regardless BRAW or not.

Benton Collins

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:56 pm

I like many other owners of the original 4.6k am still hoping for BRAW to come to that camera, but now that the original is no longer being produced, my hopes of that happening are greatly diminished. But in the long run and while it would be great to have, it doesn't really matter that much to me anymore as the camera is still a great performer and I fought tooth and nail to finally get a copy that was relatively free from the dreaded magenta cast that plagued many of the first release cameras. So BRAW or not, I'm keeping my baby. I'm even updating it by installing the OLPF by Rawlite which should breath new life in it where it really counts.

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 12:57 am

Benton, even if you eventually upgrade to the G2, make sure to hold onto that Rawlite OLPF, as it works on the G2 and it's still needed, though aliasing is far less pronounced in BRAW and ProRes on the UMP G1/G2, it's still there in certain edge case fabrics at a particular distance
www.cinedocs.com

Benton Collins

PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Jamie LeJeune wrote:Benton, even if you eventually upgrade to the G2, make sure to hold onto that Rawlite OLPF, as it works on the G2 and it's still needed, though aliasing is far less pronounced in BRAW and ProRes on the UMP G1/G2, it's still there in certain edge case fabrics at a particular distance

Thanks Jamie. That's good to know that the same OLPF will work with the G2! My next camera though is probably the Pocket 4k, and that probably needs an OLPF as well.

timbutt2

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 am

My fingers are crossed that it comes this week! Why? I have a short film shooting Saturday, which is a 1-day shoot. And then, Monday through Wednesday another short film shooting. It would so nice to use BRAW for those. One will definitely be CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 if BRAW isn't available. The other the director is still deciding whether to go RAW or ProRes. BRAW would convince that director to go RAW since it's less taxing on the computer system.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 am

Tim, if it helps, I tested BRAW and ProRes and went with ProRes on the BMPCC4K at the July 1st narrative film shoot. BRAW looked good, but in the end the ProRes has done well for this film in June on the URSA Mini 4.6K so I stayed with ProRes. All UHD. When post processing is a concern (as it is for me as editor/colourist on this film), I’m leaning toward ProRes. I’m sure you’ll have something to say about it in terms of advice. Given how rapidly your shoots are approaching, be careful about going to something new.

Rick Lang

timbutt2

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 2:21 am

Well Rick, here's what I did as per the director's wishes. Short film shot on Saturday was CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 in 2.4:1 aspect ratio. It was a one day shoot, and there's a few VFX shots in the short. Short film I'm shooting today through Wednesday UHD ProRes 422 HQ with 2.4:1 crop guides. Both are looking great. Today's lighting was awesome. I can't wait to share images from these as soon as I have permission.

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 3:23 am

We can’t wait! Hope you can catch up on your sleep soon.

I’ve taken about a week off the movie editing to get better acquainted with the BMPCC4K and BRAW and the new gear. The most pleasing finding for me was that it appears I may be able to shoot BRAW Q0 24 fps on that Wise Portable 1 TB SSD. So far so good. Would love to do a short film in Q0. But realistically I’ll need the newer Mac Pro for that. Thank goodness it’ll only cost one kidney!

Rick Lang

Jamie LeJeune

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 7:46 am

rick.lang wrote:Would love to do a short film in Q0. But realistically I’ll need the newer Mac Pro for that. Thank goodness it’ll only cost one kidney!

Why would Q0 require the new Mac Pro? It cuts just fine on my 6 year old 2013 Mac Pro. It doesn’t seem to require any more system resources than ProRes4444, so I’m sure it will cut just fine on any decent iMac or MacBook Pro too.
www.cinedocs.com

rick.lang

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:10 am

My iMac 27” (late 2015) just overheats so easily in the summer; my new office isn’t well ventilated with only one small window that opens. French doors but no screen so they remain closed to keep out the insects. Winter is welcome for editing. I’ll give Q0 another go shortly now I’m satisfied that I can mix ProRes from both cameras.

Edit
Going to install a screen door inside my French doors so I can work in the summer... another expense to add to the “real cost of a camera!”

Rick Lang

Ivon Visalli

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 5:54 pm

rick.lang wrote:Edit
Going to install a screen door inside my French doors so I can work in the summer... another expense to add to the “real cost of a camera!”

It's so true, people don't think of these kinds of expenses! :-)

DorisLondon

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm

Keep on topic please! This thread has deteriorated into a private message service.lol.
I suspect If this thread ends up being a social comments read. BM may close it down, which lets face it maybe a perfect outcome for BM in respects to this phantom BRaw update.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm

Good point and mea culpa! But 300 posts saying the same thing on topic gets to be tedious.

I also remind BMD that the Mini 4.6K needs these updates so the camera will seamlessly integrate with their other more recent cameras. The Mini 4.6K brought tears to my eyes when it was announced in April 2015. It has been and continues to be a very capable camera in it’s current feature set, but it deserves to play with its newer siblings for a few more years. People are still using the BMCC and the BMPCC together!

As has been said, if it’s not doable, just say so; if the economics are not there since all the cameras have been sold, just say it’s not going to happen; if all your Cinema cameras from 2020 are going to be 6K/8K, just let us know. “We’re working on it” means we look forward to its arrival and it will continue to be used alongside newer cameras.

It does no good to say that another 300 times. I don’t want to read this thread anymore. When BRAW arrives on the Mini 4.6K, some kind soul will start a new thread like “BRAW is here on the URSA Mini 4.6K.”

Rick Lang

Donnell Henry

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:39 pm

rick.lang wrote:Good point and mea culpa! But 300 posts saying the same thing on topic gets to be tedious.

I also remind BMD that the Mini 4.6K needs these updates so the camera will seamlessly integrate with their other more recent cameras. The Mini 4.6K brought tears to my eyes when it was announced in April 2015. It has been and continues to be a very capable camera in it’s current feature set, but it deserves to play with its newer siblings for a few more years. People are still using the BMCC and the BMPCC together!

As has been said, if it’s not doable, just say so; if the economics are not there since all the cameras have been sold, just say it’s not going to happen; if all your Cinema cameras from 2020 are going to be 6K/8K, just let us know. “We’re working on it” means we look forward to its arrival and it will continue to be used alongside newer cameras.

It does no good to say that another 300 times. I don’t want to read this thread anymore. When BRAW arrives on the Mini 4.6K, some kind soul will start a new thread like “BRAW is here on the URSA Mini 4.6K.”

+ 1
GODS CREATE

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostThu Jul 18, 2019 2:21 am

We haven’t had a camera update overall in quite a while, my hope is that the next one bring some many updates including BRAW to you guys. Seems that Resolve is really taking the focus with 6 Betas.

timbutt2

PostSat Jul 20, 2019 2:42 am

I’m still holding out hope, even as I wait for my G2 to ship. Meanwhile, the two short films I shot in the last week look great. One 4.6K CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 in 2.4:1 aspect ratio. The other UHD ProRes 422 HQ with 2.4:1 crop guides.

I’d have loved BRAW, especially for the LUTs embedded in the file. Maybe we’ll get an update after Resolve 16 is out of beta.

I agree that it would be nice for official word on whether it is happening or not. Blackmagic already has my G2 purchase guaranteed. It would be nice if the UMO could match it as a B-Camera.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Jul 21, 2019 4:19 pm

I've to say to my hope has been severely degraded by the fact that it is now mid 2019 and still no sign of the braw update for the UM4.6k
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography