Focus aid suggestion

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

bettsy

Focus aid suggestion

PostSat Sep 15, 2018 12:34 am

Still, for me, the best way to focus a camera (manually) harks back to the old days of (MF) stills; either a split image or a rangefinder.

Given that the cameras have focus sensors and given we're using EVF's nowadays, would it be possible to use the focus data to overlay something along the lines of a split image into the centre of the viewfinder? Optional, I guess and probably at maybe 20% mix so it didn't get in the way. Perhaps activated as an alternative function of the focus button?

Personally, I'd love this.

bettsy

Re: Focus aid suggestion

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 5:59 am

Any thoughts?

Denny Smith

Re: Focus aid suggestion

PostTue Sep 18, 2018 5:05 pm

The AF sensors on the camera sensor are determining focus, based on contrast difference to find edges to focus on. The AF100,used a similar system to what BM is using with their cameras. The AF 100 has a focus meter, a segmented bar that extends to focus point, peaks then starts to shrink, at the peak, you are in focus. Nikon has a black dot on their DSLRs to show focus when using manual focus lenses.

That said, these displays worked but still not 100-percent accurate. A split image display would just be another version of what Nikon and Panasonic used. To work well, the AF point would need to be very small area, like Nikon is using on it’s new cameras.

I find the edge enhanced focus peaking to be the most accurate, as you can get the focus where you want it. Not where the camera “thinks” it should be.

Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography