Are Veydra going down the pan?!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brad Hurley

Re: Are Veydra going down the pan?!!

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:03 pm

If you want one you should try Duclos Lenses; I ordered a 50mm Veydra from them in September and they had it in stock and shipped it immediately. Really nice lens, I'm very happy with it. They may even still have full sets available.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for the tip, Brad. I always seem to forget about Duclos.

Question for you: I've only rented for a quick test, so I didn't handle the Veydras for long. In regular use, how would you compare their handling to a "proper" cine lens?

Why I ask is that I've come to dislike "in-between" lenses. Compact photo-style lenses that allow me to tap to focus have their place, and full-blown cine lenses with long focus throws and consistent gear placement have their place, but the in-between, re-housed "cine" lenses I own really feel like an unholy compromise.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Well, never mind. Duclos is out of stock, as well.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:33 pm

joe12south wrote:Question for you: I've only rented for a quick test, so I didn't handle the Veydras for long. In regular use, how would you compare their handling to a "proper" cine lens?

Why I ask is that I've come to dislike "in-between" lenses. Compact photo-style lenses that allow me to tap to focus have their place, and full-blown cine lenses with long focus throws and consistent gear placement have their place, but the in-between, re-housed "cine" lenses I own really feel like an unholy compromise.

Sorry to hear that Duclos is now sold out as well...there's probably a run on these lenses with the news that Veydra has been having troubles plus with the release of the new Pocket 4K people are looking for good lenses to go with it.

The Veydras are not "in-between" rehoused stills lenses like the Rokinons, but designed from scratch as cinema lenses for MFT (and now a few other mounts).

Hugh Antonio

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:09 pm

I have a UK supplier who has tons of Veydra’s sitting on a shelf. He can’t and won’t sell without a warranty so he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he can find someone to take on the warranty then he’ll sell but as it stands now they’re quality lens in box’s gathering dust. I’ll have a word tomorrow to get the latest update.
MacBook M1 Pro
10 Cores 16GB RAM
512gb HDD
Resolve Studio
BMPCC 4K

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:The Veydras are not "in-between" rehoused stills lenses like the Rokinons, but designed from scratch as cinema lenses for MFT (and now a few other mounts).

I know they are purpose designed, but they are also quite small. I'm just curious as to your first-hand experience using them day-in, day-out. Do you use a follow-focus, a matte box?

Brad Hurley

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 pm

joe12south wrote:I know they are purpose designed, but they are also quite small. I'm just curious as to your first-hand experience using them day-in, day-out. Do you use a follow-focus, a matte box?

Follow-focus yes, matte box no. It performs as you would expect with a follow focus, you can be very precise in a way that you can't with focus-by-wire lenses or manual stills lenses with less focus throw.

Note that I've only had this lens a few weeks and have used it only once or twice so far.

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 3:29 pm

Thanks.

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Hugh Antonio wrote:I have a UK supplier who has tons of Veydra’s sitting on a shelf. He can’t and won’t sell without a warranty so he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he can find someone to take on the warranty then he’ll sell but as it stands now they’re quality lens in box’s gathering dust. I’ll have a word tomorrow to get the latest update.

He could always sell them as B Stock, in “as-is” condition, no warranty on eBay or similar auction sites, or as “used” lenses directly from the shop, if UK laws allow for selling off liquidated stock this way.
If he goes this route, I am interested in a Veydra 16mm MFT lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote:
Hugh Antonio wrote:I have a UK supplier who has tons of Veydra’s sitting on a shelf. He can’t and won’t sell without a warranty so he’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. If he can find someone to take on the warranty then he’ll sell but as it stands now they’re quality lens in box’s gathering dust. I’ll have a word tomorrow to get the latest update.

He could always sell them as B Stock, in “as-is” condition, no warranty on eBay or similar auction sites, or as “used” lenses directly from the shop, if UK laws allow for selling off liquidated stock this way.
If he goes this route, I am interested in a Veydra 16mm MFT lens.
Cheers

That sounds about right. He may not be able to sell them as "new" but there must be a way to sell off-warranty items in the UK. You've got eBay, right? ;-)

Justin Jackson

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 7:14 pm

Shoot.. I was thinking of jumping on the 12mm Veydra. Looks like they are gone.

So I have asked this before but am not grasping the way to go I guess.. would it be better to get the MetaBones .71 (or .64..which one) adapter and an EF lens, vs an MFT lens for the BMPCC4K? I was thinking EF + Metabones because it adds the extra stop (I think) and reduces the zoom doesnt it? I know it adds $700 for the adapter, but if it improves the light capability (and this is where I think I get confused) or DR (same thing, no?) AND reduces the zoom factor, I would think it would be a better way to go. Or does the EF lens lose some detail for covering a bigger area than the MFT sensor... thus MFT specific lens would be better?

Still cant figure out what lens to get!! I love the idea of a 10 or so to 35mm zoom, but dont like that as you zoom you lose focus and have to manually focus.. makes it really hard for run-n-gun. However, having pre-ordered the Zyiun Crane 3 Lab, which has both focus and zoom automated controls.. I am hoping that it will be easier to manage than. Still not sure if the Crane 3 Lab is better for this camera than the WeeBuilt (strange name) but that it has 2 automated motors rather than just the one, for $200 more, and holds more weight and more configurable, I am hoping it is a good fit (assuming the belt/weight distribution thingy that I saw works with it). With this gimbal in mind for run-n-gun (or whatever it is called) I was thinking a good quality wide to mid zoom would be a better option for me rather than a wide prime. Assuming you pros agree... what would be the way to go? MetaBones/EF and what lens.. or mft and what lens?

Truly relying on you pros for this purchase. I just dont know enough as this is all new to me, gimbal, focus/zoom, run-n-gun.. and the camera and lens.. all new. Excited to use it, but dont have a lot of money to spend.. the lens is the last thing. Side note, I bought the EF/MFT adapter ($59) so that my current 28mm canon EF (photo lens though) and my Rokinon 85mm cine can work on the camera... but I have read that those things cause distortion as well, thus why I am asking about MetaBones/EF vs MFT.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 8:16 pm

Justin Jackson wrote:Side note, I bought the EF/MFT adapter ($59) so that my current 28mm canon EF (photo lens though) and my Rokinon 85mm cine can work on the camera... but I have read that those things cause distortion as well, thus why I am asking about MetaBones/EF vs MFT.

Your center of gravity is already tipped heavily toward EF: you already have two EF-mount lenses, which you can use on other systems in the future (well-taken care of, lenses will outlast several generations of cameras). If you go with MFT, that lens will be effectively limited to use on your BMPCC 4K.

If it were me, I'd simply start with the two lenses you already own and see how those do with the adapter you bought, before you buy another lens. But when you buy another, I'd go with EF, since that would complement the two EFs you already have and you can also use it on your stills camera (I assume you must have one if you have a Canon stills lens).

Don't forget to set aside money for neutral density filters, IR/UV cut filters, etc. for your lenses....that can add up especially if you can't share ND filters across lenses.

Ryan Earl

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:23 am

This is a nice representation of using the native mft look with Veydra:

He lists a few other lenses too.

Robert Niessner

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 9:01 am

Ryan Earl wrote:This is a nice representation of using the native mft look with Veydra:

He lists a few other lenses too.

Sometimes I think men just invented cameras, lenses and all that stuff just for worshipping their wives ;-)
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

RealSting

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Anybody know how the MEIKE 25MM T2.2 MFT compares to the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 and/or the 1.4 lens?
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Brad Hurley

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 11:25 pm

The newish SLR Magic micro cinema primes that came out earlier this year or late last year have been suggested as being good alternatives to Veydra. For example https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _t2_8.html

They're not rehoused stills lenses but designed from the start as cine lenses.

Veydra did post another announcement on their Facebook page a few months back (maybe 6 months now) saying that they're still trying to resurrect themselves. I'm doubtful but it's worth holding out some hope...those were great lenses. I have the 50mm and it's fantastic.

Edited to add: here's what they posted on their Facebook page in March:

Veydra is currently not fulfilling orders primarily due to supply chain and related issues pertaining to our Mini Prime lenses.

We are aware of lenses that have appeared recently on the market that seem very similar to our design. All the current issues are being actively investigated and we are working toward more answers soon.

We set out in 2014 to provide high quality mirrorless optics to filmmakers everywhere. The issues that have arisen are temporary problems that we hope to overcome soon.

We will provide more information as it becomes available.

Thank you,
Ryan Avery

John Brawley

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 am

Australian Image wrote:
RealSting wrote:Anybody know how the MEIKE 25MM T2.2 MFT compares to the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 and/or the 1.4 lens?

You should also consider the Olympus 25mm f1.8 (https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/produc ... index.html) and 25mm f1/2 pro (https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/produc ... index.html), both of which are highly rated in any review.

Or the Olympus 25mm 1.2 is a beast. Much nicer to manual focus and a very “pretty” lens.

JB
(Olympus, Veydra and SLR magic user)
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Jean Capdouzey

PostSat Jul 06, 2019 2:32 pm

Cine lenses will get just cheaper and cheaper.
Bonjour mes amis peu profonds ici
je déteste le narcissisme

RealSting

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 2:31 pm

John Brawley wrote:
Australian Image wrote:
RealSting wrote:Anybody know how the MEIKE 25MM T2.2 MFT compares to the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 and/or the 1.4 lens?

You should also consider the Olympus 25mm f1.8 (https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/produc ... index.html) and 25mm f1/2 pro (https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/produc ... index.html), both of which are highly rated in any review.

Or the Olympus 25mm 1.2 is a beast. Much nicer to manual focus and a very “pretty” lens.

JB
(Olympus, Veydra and SLR magic user)

thanks, but they are 9 times the price!!!
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Brad Hurley

PostSun Jul 28, 2019 2:47 pm

RealSting wrote:[

thanks, but they are 9 times the price!!!

There's some discussion about the Meike lenses here: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?2 ... -on-Amazon

It's a long thread, but if you go to page 4 or so of the thread you'll start seeing critiques based on actual footage.

Veydra is mired in a lawsuit between the two original owners, based on a legal document someone posted to bmcuser.com recently; it's likely the Meike knockoffs will also be subject to a lawsuit if they aren't already.

Brad Hurley

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Just to close the loop on this, Veydra is officially out of business as of a couple of days ago. From their Facebook page:

Veydra LLC has gone out of business due to the conclusion of ongoing litigation between the founders of the company.

I offer special thanks to everyone involved in the success of Veydra; first and foremost all Veydra Kickstarter backers and customers. Specific thanks to those who made it possible from the start; Phil Holland, Illya Friedman, Matthew Duclos, Joshua Brown, Alex Jacobs, and all the supporters too numerous to mention here.

It’s been a wonderful journey and I thank you all for your support and kindness.

—Ryan Avery
Co-Founder

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 1:04 pm

What a shame. And does this conclusion mean that there’s a non-disclosure agreement so we won’t know the real story? That’s another shame. And does this mean that Meike is legitimate after all? That statement is too brief from a gentleman we respect.

Lesson learned? If anyone has greater insight into this, please share if you are able.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 7:36 pm

I feel Meike’s tactics regarding re-branding Veydra lenses, and going behind Ryan A.’s back, or doing so without his permission is still underhanded, and I will not be supporting them. Voigtländer and SLR Microprimes are a better alternative in my book. ;)
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 8:53 pm

The history of commerce is full of companies that were begun under illegal or unethical practices which often are key to their success. As time goes by, the details are forgotten and we reward those firms. I’d name a few, but then the list would grow and fill the forum. “Once Upon a Time in Santa Monica” coming to a theatre near you...

Rick Lang

Stephen Fitzgerald

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 10:06 pm

Sad to see this, Veydra was special and short lived. There business had room to run, but it seems personal business issues derailed them. I hope to see something positive come from this. Was always hoping Veydra’s line would move to an EF Mount. To those who own them, you’ve got something special.

Gary Stanford

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 11:37 pm

[quote="rick.lang"]The history of commerce is full of companies that were begun under illegal or unethical practices which often are key to their success."

"Just remember, what you are seeing and what you are reading is not what's happening,"
Donald J. Trump.
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:14 am

The President is right about that.

Rick Lang

Gary Stanford

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:36 am

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple"
Oscar Wilde
1 x BMPCC4k/2 x BMCCs/Davinci Resolve Studio/Decklink Mini Monitor/HD Link Pro /ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 DDR3 x SATA3/Intel i7 3.4GHz/GTX 980ti 6 GB/32BG RAM/3 SAMSUNG 500GB 850 EVO SSD/4 x 3 TB WD HDDs/Seagate 1 TB SATA 3 HDD/OCZ 850w PSU/Windows 7 64bit SP1

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 3:07 am

No one says it better than Mr Wilde.

Rick Lang
Previous

Return to Cinematography