Are Veydra going down the pan?!!

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

RealSting

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Bloody typical!! After much research I finally settle on a set of lenses for my new blackmagic pocket cinema camera only to find that the retailers won’t sell me the lenses.. Apparently the company directors at Veydra are quarrelling with each other which is seriously disrupting their sales!!!

Why can’t they just sell me my lenses first and then punch each other’s lights out?!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Late 2013 (Trashcan) MacPro
8 Core/32GB RAM/D700 GPU/1GB System SSD HDD
8 TB G-TECH RAID 0 Thunderbolt Ext. HDD (Media drive)
Focusrite 2i2 AI
27” Apple Retinal Display
Tangent Ripple Colour Surface
OSX Catalina (latest version) - Resolve Studio 17 beta

Brad Hurley

Re: Are Veydra going down the pan?!!

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:58 pm

There was speculation that they're going out of business, but they posted an announcement on their Facebook page a few weeks ago saying that they're committed to get up and running again...the announcement said something about problems with their website host but clearly there's more to it than that.

"We apologize for the recent issues with Veydra.com and the lack of supply of Veydra Mini Primes around the world.

We are aware of the current issues with supply of our highly acclaimed Mini Primes and apologize for the lack of response from our sales and information email addresses. We have been having some product supply and company email and web server problems that cannot be immediately resolved.

Veydra remains dedicated to offering the highest quality product and service for the best price possible. If you have any service needs or questions otherwise, please message us on our Facebook page and we will do our best to find you a solution.

Thank you all for your support in making Veydra a success. We hope to be in touch soon with more information.

Ryan Avery
Co-Founder and CEO
Veydra LLC"
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Interesting... :roll: Have you tried Duclos Lens, they had some stock on full/partial sets.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

RealSting

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:08 pm

Brad Hurley wrote:There was speculation that they're going out of business, but they posted an announcement on their Facebook page a few weeks ago saying that they're committed to get up and running again...the announcement said something about problems with their website host but clearly there's more to it than that.

"We apologize for the recent issues with Veydra.com and the lack of supply of Veydra Mini Primes around the world.

We are aware of the current issues with supply of our highly acclaimed Mini Primes and apologize for the lack of response from our sales and information email addresses. We have been having some product supply and company email and web server problems that cannot be immediately resolved.

Veydra remains dedicated to offering the highest quality product and service for the best price possible. If you have any service needs or questions otherwise, please message us on our Facebook page and we will do our best to find you a solution.

Thank you all for your support in making Veydra a success. We hope to be in touch soon with more information.

Ryan Avery
Co-Founder and CEO
Veydra LLC"

That’s not what the suppliers are telling me.. one of them I spoke with said he met and knows one the company partners and said the two partners have had a ‘falling out!’ Hmmm

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors you're hearing are true, since clearly a lot more is going on than web-server and email "issues."

It would be too bad if they fold, because those are very good lenses and I have my eye on the 50mm one; I'll check Duclos but will have to see if they ship to Canada.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Brad, Duclos ships world wide, but if there is an issue, you vs. have it shipped here, and I will ship it on to you.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:38 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Brad, Duclos ships world wide, but if there is an issue, you vs. have it shipped here, and I will ship it on to you.
Cheers

You are a gem, Denny, thanks for offering! I'm sure it won't be a problem.

Denny Smith

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Good luck...
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Brad, that was the first question I asked Duclos when I ordered the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 PL zoom. They ship direct to Canada.

Rick Lang

Justin Jackson

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:31 pm

And I was thinking of buying a few... guess I may have to go back to Rokinon Xeen and hope I can afford just one!
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 pm

rick.lang wrote:Brad, that was the first question I asked Duclos when I ordered the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 PL zoom. They ship direct to Canada.

I placed my order online and we'll see what they say when they get back to me. Shipping isn't cheap, but I think this is a more likely way to actually get a lens than from any of the Canadian suppliers, all of whom say it's a special-order item which means they don't have them in stock. And you have to laugh at the amazon.ca fraudsters who are selling single Veydra lenses (not the whole set ) for over $5,000, hoping some idiot won't know they're being marked up a few hundred percent. Hmmm, maybe those are some of the lenses that got stolen from their warehouse awhile back?

Ryan Earl

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

I think $1,200 for a single Veydra lens is a little high. I think the SLR Magic Micro Primes are more fairly priced at $800. I would recommend eBay for a used Veydra between $600 and $700 each. You can pretty easily swap mounts yourself from C or E to MFT if needed.

RealSting

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 pm

I’m in uk - several sites showing (which appears to be) the full range and in stock. Only, some of those suppliers will not sell as (apparently) it’s illegal to sell without the warranty!!!

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Brad Hurley

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Ryan Earl wrote:I think $1,200 for a single Veydra lens is a little high. I think the SLR Magic Micro Primes are more fairly priced at $800. I would recommend eBay for a used Veydra between $600 and $700 each. You can pretty easily swap mounts yourself from C or E to MFT if needed.

I think the price difference is worth it though for the difference in image quality. The SLR Magics are great (I have the 10mm) but they can be a bit soft wide open; I don't mind that too much but the Veydras are a step above from what I've seen and read. The SLR Magic APO lenses are another contender and excellent, but then I'd have to get a PL mount adapter and the lenses are quite a bit more expensive.

I was really deciding between the Veydra 50mm, the Panasonic-Leica 42.5mm, and the SLR Magic Hyperprime cine 50mm. I may get the Panny-Leica anyway at some point, but for now I want a manual-focus and manual-iris cine lens in the 40-50mm range. Another advantage of the Veydra is that it has a 77mm thread, same as my 10mm SLR Magic, so I can use the same ND filters.

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:08 pm

I’m hoping Ryan Avery or the Santa Monica police are keeping an eye on internet sales. Eventually those stolen lenses are going to surface.

Rick Lang

RealSting

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 pm

rick.lang wrote:I’m hoping Ryan Avery or the Santa Monica police are keeping an eye on internet sales. Eventually those stolen lenses are going to surface.

Wanna buy a 35mm 2.2 Veydra - £50?!! ........ IM KIDDING!! lol

Focusrite 2i2 AI

rick.lang

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 10:23 pm

Sounds like a sting to me!

Rick Lang

Ryan Earl

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 2:02 am

My guess is that the stolen lenses have been on eBay for some time. There have been a lot of lenses advertised as new in the $450 - 600 range over the past year. I bought the 16, 25, and 35 new in 2016 for $900 each.

The 50mm is great, but if you can find a preowned copy barely used for a few hundred less that would be my choice given the price increases and the backorder situation. A good seller will have a photograph of the serial number with the listing which you can use to email customer service to see if it is legit.

Their website says "hundreds" of happy clients. . should be thousands.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 4:46 am

Ryan, $900 was retail in 2016. The 12mm was $1200, back then. I got my 16mm for $600as part of the kickstarter deal. So some of the discount deals you were seeing were probably Kickstarter lenses being sold off.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

JeffVasquez

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:41 am

I have a full set of Vedrya primes. You cannot beat the quality at this price. I use them with my GH5 and Pocket Cinema Camera. You won’t be disappointed.

Brad Hurley

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Duclos definitely has these in stock, mine's arriving Monday. They're very efficient.

It's pretty rare to find anyone with these in stock anymore, even B&H doesn't have them (at least not the 50mm). Apart from the warranty issue, I don't really care if they go out of business: plenty of people use vintage lenses from long-gone companies. It's the image that counts, and with care a good lens can last a long, long time. But if they can keep the company going I think they'd get a good influx of sales from people buying the new Pocket 4K.

rick.lang

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Good for you, Brad.

Rick Lang

Justin Jackson

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 7:14 pm

I would buy some if I could afford them right now. I really want to look at the best wide angle.. trying to consider getting in to real estate video work, and for that you need a good wide angle that doesnt distort the edges. I am curious though.. would it be better to buy EF that covers S35/full frame and use it with adapter.. or would a native MFT be better overall for image?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

Denny Smith

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 pm

Justin, if you are looking for a good wide angle, the Panny Leica DG 12mm f/1.4, has about the least distortion available in a 12mm lens, which should give you a fairly wide angle of view on the new Pocket camera. The Veydra is nice also, but has a little barrel distortion when shooting close in scene with horizontal lines, like a room would have. Or go with the Tokina Cine 11-16mm lens, which has MFT, PL and EF mount options.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Wow..thanks Denny. Man.. you know your lenses! That Tokina looks really nice, and PL too.. assuming there is a MetaBones MFT/PL adapter.. that would be nice! Would love to navigate to PL.. but read also that PL may be "dying" and some newer PL-M or something like that is the new rage? Cant imagine PL is going anywhere anytime soon. Plus, naturally doesnt really matter anyway if things work with what you got.

One thing I dont get.. 11 to 16.. why that 5mm zoom distance? Seems to me a zoom should be a lot more than 5mm difference. What do you gain with that?

Is the distortion-free image on the tokina as good or better than the panny?

Thinking the panny with 1.4 might be better than the tokina with T3 though? Given inside low light conditions typically.. though I guess it would be possible to set up a light or two if needed.. though that may be an issue depending on room dynamics.

RealSting

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 11:27 pm

With dozens of calls and an awful lot of scanning the forums It’s looking more and more unlikely that Veydra will be distributing any time soon, if ever. So I’m now looking at alternatives. What I liked about the Veydra’s was their breathless focusing.. I’ve been looking at the SLR Magic 35mm T0.95 Hyperprime Cine II (MFT).. does anyone know how this compares to the equivalent 35mm Veydra?

Focusrite 2i2 AI

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 am

Justin, the 11-16 while it seem short, goes from 90 to 60 degrees AOV, so it is a wider range than you think. PL mount isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. Yes Metabones makes a nice MFT/PL adapter, as does Wood Camera and MTF Services.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 4:50 am

So I am curious then.. does the BMPCC and the BM4K PC have the same MFT mount? I was wondering why the original metabones was said that it would not work on the new camera?

Not in a rush though.. will wait for the BM4K version.. if there is one coming.

So Denny.. and forgive me if we covered this elsewhere.. but if you had the choice, would you go metabones MFT to PL with PL lens vs straight MFT lens? Why?

Someone posted somewhere that they would not get the adapter to pick up an extra stop of light.. I assumed that that would be a good thing.. if it reduces the crop AND gives you a boost of 1 stop, isnt that actually good.. and worth it? I dont know what the exact specs are/will be for the BM4K version, but if it handles 13 stops out of the box, and you can boost that to 14.. I would think that would be a good thing.

Robert Niessner

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 9:06 am

Denny Smith wrote:Justin, if you are looking for a good wide angle, the Panny Leica DG 12mm f/1.4, has about the least distortion available in a 12mm lens, which should give you a fairly wide angle of view on the new Pocket camera. The Veydra is nice also, but has a little barrel distortion when shooting close in scene with horizontal lines, like a room would have. Or go with the Tokina Cine 11-16mm lens, which has MFT, PL and EF mount options.
Cheers

Are you sure Denny? Becaus at lenstip.com they tested the Panny and it has a huge distortion of −5.39% without in camera correction.
https://www.lenstip.com/505.6-Lens_revi ... rtion.html

The only wide lenses so far with little distortion are afaik the Veydra 12mm, the Laowas, the Tokina 11-16, and the Tokina 11-20
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 pm

Justin, the original 0.58x Metabones SpeedBooster was specifically designed for the size of the BMPCC sensor so the diameter of the throat of the image from the exit pupil is smaller than the Ultra and XL versions of the SpeedBooster that are designed for true mFT size sensors. I forget who but someone mentioned that restriction on the forum recently. Presumably the smaller throat also relates to the smaller image circle.

The focal reducers increase the amount of light hitting a photosite so when we say “gain one stop” that refers to the intensity of the light and would allow an exposure of T2.8 when used compared to T4 without a SpeedBooster. That extra stop of light makes no difference to the dynamic range so the camera maximum DR remains at 13 stops.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Robert thanks, checked the Linstip site, however this is more distortion shown, than other reviews I have seen.

Here is a screen shot showing (below) geometric distortion. Left: Leica 12mm, middle: Olympus 12mm, right: Olympus 7-14mm at 12mm.
E8A4E7F8-BF18-45CA-A801-CD703A61C57E.jpeg
E8A4E7F8-BF18-45CA-A801-CD703A61C57E.jpeg (83.84 KiB) Viewed 11639 times

Also real world shots, uncorrected show much less distortion. It might be a tad worse than the Veydra and 11-16, but from what I have seen, all three are close. I think for Justin’s use to shoot rooms and building shots, the PL12mm lens advantage is it corner to corner sharpness and would allow Justin to use the new Pocket camera’s touch screen to pull a quick focus.

But, all three will give good performance. The real issue is how close you put the lens/camera from the subject, the closer you move in, the more distortion you have. I had the Veydra 12mm and the Duclos Tokina 11-16, and at 12mm shooting a bookcase from 2.5 to 3 meters, the Tokina was a little better at keeping the horizontal lines straight. Did the tests with a AF100 which has a similar size sensor as the new Pocket shooting 16:9, so no in camera distortion corrections.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostSat Sep 22, 2018 6:10 pm

Justin wrote:
So I am curious then.. does the BMPCC and the BM4K PC have the same MFT mount?

Yes, they are all the same mount specificstion. That said, there are minor manufacturing to differences on the mounts from one camera to the next. But MFT mounts all meet the same standard, and a MFT lens from on will fit on all MFT Cameras.

Denny.. and forgive me if we covered this elsewhere.. but if you had the choice, would you go metabones MFT to PL with PL lens vs straight MFT lens? Why?

I use both, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

The PL Mount is more accurate, and locks the lens in place, which is good for Cine lenses with dampened focus and iris rings, eliminates and mount to lens movement, found in MFT, and all still camera, mounts to some degree. Nikon F seems the least movement.

Native MFT lenses work well on the MFT mount, since thy gave focus by wire, no stress is placed in the mount, so very little movement issues. Their advantage to me is, quicker to use, yiu can lunch in a quick focus, and in the new Pocket camera, use the touch screen to focus any spot on the screen you touch, fairly quickly, depending on the lens, some focus better than others. The best MFT lenses to use for video I feel are the Oly Pro series and Panny Leica lenses. They also,have the advantage of having OIS on the longer focal lengths, allowing better hand held shots.

The Veydra lenses worked well on the Micro cameras, which had a closer to MFT specification than the original Pocket camera had, any lens mount play was eliminated by using a locking matte box and 15mm rail support, which I use anyway. Handholding the Veydras also worked well, but without any stabilization, only with the 12mm and 16mm was I able to hold a steady shot for short takes.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 3:44 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Robert thanks, checked the Linstip site, however this is more distortion shown, than other reviews I have seen.

Here is a screen shot showing (below) geometric distortion. Left: Leica 12mm, middle: Olympus 12mm, right: Olympus 7-14mm at 12mm.
E8A4E7F8-BF18-45CA-A801-CD703A61C57E.jpeg

Also real world shots, uncorrected show much less distortion. It might be a tad worse than the Veydra and 11-16, but from what I have seen, all three are close. I think for Justin’s use to shoot rooms and building shots, the PL12mm lens advantage is it corner to corner sharpness and would allow Justin to use the new Pocket camera’s touch screen to pull a quick focus.

But, all three will give good performance. The real issue is how close you put the lens/camera from the subject, the closer you move in, the more distortion you have. I had the Veydra 12mm and the Duclos Tokina 11-16, and at 12mm shooting a bookcase from 2.5 to 3 meters, the Tokina was a little better at keeping the horizontal lines straight. Did the tests with a AF100 which has a similar size sensor as the new Pocket shooting 16:9, so no in camera distortion corrections.
Cheers

Denny, isn't the AF100 also doing in camera distortion correction?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Denny Smith

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 5:39 pm

No, I do not believe it does, I have confirmed this with my PL 15mm which close in has considereable barrel distortion, and it is showing the AF100 to the same degree it does on the Micro Cinema camera, but not on my Oly PenF which does correct for this type of distortion, same goes for other native MFT lenses I have tested. If the AF100 is adding some distortion correction, it is not very much with the lenses I have used, compared to the MFT still cameras.

Anyway, useually lens correction occurs when recording to the files to camera, and not on live view. I recorded the tests on a PixE and based in observation of the SDI outout signal, so even if the AF100 did some lens correction when recording the files, it would not be applied to the live view output.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostSun Sep 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Interesting news:
Laowa has announced a ton of new lenses:

Laowa 17mm f/1.8 MFT
Laowa 12mm f/1.8 MFT
Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D (DJI DL)
Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D MFT <- that will become my wide angle lens for the BPCC4K
Laowa 7.5mm t/2.1 Cine
Laowa 9mm t/2.9 Zero-D Cine
Laowa 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 FE Zoom
Laowa 100mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO
Laowa 17mm f/4 GFX Zero-D
Laowa 4mm f/2.8 Fisheye MFT
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/22/ ... ew-lenses/

Laowa 12mm T/2.9 ZERO-D CINE PL
Laowa 25-100mm t/2.9 Cine Lightweight Zoom PL
https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/22/ ... zoom-lens/
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 am

Thanks Robert, I saw the Newshooters write up on the zoom, but missed the PL 12mm.
So Justin, here you go, a new “kid on the bloc” a 12mm with next to no distortion, the Laowa 12mm T/2.9 ZERO-D CINE PL lens. What is not to like about this.

Hum, just might pull the trigger on this one myself. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 3:51 am

The timing is impeccable!! I subscribe to various youtubers and a couple of them have pointed to the Laowa 12mm lens with video footage showing no distortion in the edges.

I am curious.. the 7.5mm Cine with 2.1, vs the 9mm with 2.8... what is the difference (our might be). Besides the 1.5mm.. if you plan to shoot more cinematic vs pictures, would the cine make more sense? Assuming it too has 0 distortion?

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:28 am

Will be very interesting when prices are announced. I’d like to compare the 12mm to the Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 at 12mm. If Matt is right and it’s under $2,000, it could be a good buy.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:39 am

I am hoping it is closer to $1500 Rick.
Justin, UWA lenses like the 7.5 or 9mm, are not sued much in cinematic productions, unless they are used for special shots, like Stanley Kubrick did in Shining of Jack Nicholson’s close up showing he was going crazy. Also, the wider the angle the more difficult it is to control distortion, but Mr Kubrick used the distortion to his advantage. A 12mm is still very wide, giving a 80-degree AOV on the new Pocket camera. My widest lens on S16 was a 9.5, which is closer to a 14mm on the MFT sensor, and a 74-degree AOV.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 am

I hear you.. I was going by the Fulltime Filmmaker guy, who uses a 12 I think (Loawa too) to shoot cinematic real estate videos. I liked the idea because it gives a really nice video of a home, but makes it look "bigger" as you go in to rooms and such, which is something you want to shoot for to sell I home I suspect. Given the budget to buy maybe one lens in the next several months, and not having a wide angle at all (other than the original kit lens that came with my canon t3i which is not good for low light at all nor is it sharp), I want my money to go as far as possible in buying the right wide angle lens. Thus I wasnt sure what the difference would be between the cine 7.5mm t2.1 and the 9mm F1.8. I would think more important is no distortion, but maybe near equal is the ability to look cinematic. Honestly I dont truly know the difference between cinematic lenses (which I assume are typically used for photos?) and cinematic?? Is it just that the rings are de-clicked to avoid noise and offer a smooth turn? Or are their glass differences too?

At any rate, I am relying on your guys expertise as to what lens I should look to purchase for this particular case.

Thank you.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 am

I was looking for two things:
1. I want to replace my OSMO with the PCC4K on a gimbal and a wide angle lens with a similar FOV. The OSMO has 94° after in-camera lens correction. The PCC4K with the Laowa 9mm will have 93° and almost no visible distortion. That makes it perfect for that kind of work, where I am filming buildings and construction sites. And it is super lightweight.
2. the PCC4K will be with my UM46k as a workflow improvement because then I can always leave the 50-135 on the UM46K and use the PCC4K for wide angle establishing shots. Saves me setup time and adds almost nothing in weight to my package.

Regarding the 7.5 mm: it is not Zero-D, it has 2.5% distortion. Nothing dramatic. And a wide FOV of 103° on the PCC4K. The Tokina 11-16 on the UM46k for example has 98° at it's widest.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 8:06 am

Denny Smith wrote:I am hoping it is closer to $1500 Rick.
Justin, UWA lenses like the 7.5 or 9mm, are not sued much in cinematic productions, unless they are used for special shots, like Stanley Kubrick did in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest of Jack Nicholson’s close up showing he was going crazy. Also, the wider the angle the more difficult it is to control distortion, but Mr Kubrick used the distortion to his advantage. A 12mm is still very wide, giving a 80-degree AOV on the new Pocket camera. My widest lens on S16 was a 9.5, which is closer to a 14mm on the MFT sensor, and a 74-degree AOV.
Cheers

Just one nitpick: Milos Forman directed One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Are you thinking of The Shining?

Uli Plank

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 9:30 am

I’d also suppose so, since in Cuckoo’s Nest he’s not getting mad, only treated like that.
Now that the cat #19 is out of the bag, test it as much as you can and use the subforum.

Studio 18.6.6, MacOS 13.6.6, 2017 iMac, 32 GB, Radeon Pro 580
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G

rick.lang

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Senior moment!

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Thanks Sean, it was Shining I was thinking of, as Rick said, senior moment :oops:
Fixed my list, thanks again. :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Sean van Berlo

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 4:57 pm

No problem, happens to the best of - regardless of age! ;)

Ryan Earl

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 1:48 am

Justin Jackson wrote:I hear you.. I was going by the Fulltime Filmmaker guy, who uses a 12 I think (Loawa too) to shoot cinematic real estate videos. I liked the idea because it gives a really nice video of a home, but makes it look "bigger" as you go in to rooms and such, which is something you want to shoot for to sell I home I suspect. Given the budget to buy maybe one lens in the next several months, and not having a wide angle at all (other than the original kit lens that came with my canon t3i which is not good for low light at all nor is it sharp), I want my money to go as far as possible in buying the right wide angle lens. Thus I wasnt sure what the difference would be between the cine 7.5mm t2.1 and the 9mm F1.8. I would think more important is no distortion, but maybe near equal is the ability to look cinematic. Honestly I dont truly know the difference between cinematic lenses (which I assume are typically used for photos?) and cinematic?? Is it just that the rings are de-clicked to avoid noise and offer a smooth turn? Or are their glass differences too?

At any rate, I am relying on your guys expertise as to what lens I should look to purchase for this particular case.

Thank you.

I use the 16mm end of my Canon 16-35mm F4 on a 5DS a lot for travel and architecture. You might find that you do want the 7.5mm over the 9mm if you were able to pick up a zoom lens first to try out. I didn't see the Kowa 8.5mm 2.8 mentioned yet.

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/946-kowa85f28?start=1

Robert Niessner

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 6:00 am

Just want to add OT:
Yesterday I contacted a big dealer in Germany and told him about the possibility of Veydra closing doors. They had not heard about that but he promised to some research and tell me the findings.

Well, unfortunately he found out that Veydra hasn't been reacting to RMAs and business inquires for an ongoing period of time. So, if the business owners won't get their acts together somehow - it looks like it is over.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 1:55 pm

The Veydra situation is really disappointing. Even though I've been reluctant to invest in MFT cine-lenses (I don't like that they won't be able to grow with me to a super-35 sized sensor) I've always rooted for this small underdog.

I've tested some of the Veydras, and they are damn good lenses. My Rokinon cine's suck wide open, have a color cast, and don't really have a cine throw – but I've yet to find a viable replacement in my budget. I've been seriously tempted to give in and go with the Veydras, but that looks like a slim possibility now. :-(
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

joe12south

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 1:57 pm

btw, there are damn few Veydras on eBay right now.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.
Next

Return to Cinematography