How to delete files from SSD

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Thorsten Kramer

How to delete files from SSD

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello BMD,
currently I am testing the beta version of BM-Camera 6.0 on my URSA mini pro. The recording takes place on Sony SSD GRAW series. Now I have tried to delete the stored files after transfer to a hard drive from the SSD. Unfortunately it did not work. Windows displays it as deleted, but when I put the SSD back in the recorder, the files are suddenly back and no longer erasable. Unless I format the SSD again. Is there another way to delete the files without formatting the SSD?
Best regards
TK

Sean van Berlo

Re: How to delete files from SSD

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Formatting is the only way- it's to prevent write errors.

michaeldhead

PostMon Sep 24, 2018 5:36 pm

Why do you not want to format the drive?
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

Thorsten Kramer

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Thank you Sean and Michael. I was worried that constant formatting could harm the SSD's.

Ryan Humphrey

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 2:27 pm

So each time you write (but not read) a SSD drive it causes a little bit of wear on the memory cells. That sounds bad, but it's not. It's a very predictable process. Different types of memory have different life of read cycles, but even the shortest is measured in the thousands. That may not seem like much, but even if you fill the drive from empty to full, then erase/format it every single day, seven days a week, that give a minimum life of 5-10 years, depending on the memory. And that's a brutal use case.

So in theory SSD life is worth keeping in mind, but for 99.9% of real world use cases it's never going to be the limiting factor.

Nate Porter

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 5:46 pm

Note, formatting the SSD doesn't write data over the entire drive. In simple terms, it deletes the list of where to find the files on the drive.

michaeldhead

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 9:00 pm

Nate Porter wrote:Note, formatting the SSD doesn't write data over the entire drive. In simple terms, it deletes the list of where to find the files on the drive.

Correct - this allows the drive access to overwrite the locations. It's also why you can *sometimes recover data from a drive that's been formatted but not overwritten.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

rick.lang

PostTue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 pm

Years ago when I was learning about SSD technology on AnandTech or TomsHardware, I recall reading that the SSD data controller in a Write operation must first write binary zeros to the block and then write the real information to be retained. This of course is in contrast to spinning hard disks that just write regardless of the state of the block.

I don’t know if this is still true as I have no time anymore to learn anything being retired (the busiest time of your life)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography