Lenses For Pocket Cinema 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: Lenses For Pocket Cinema 4K

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 3:59 am

I feel it’s doing a very good job on the URSA Mini 4.6K. Still waiting for the BMPCC4K which is where I’ll use the lens the most.

My greatest concern was discovering how much it can flare when shooting toward the sun even with my matte box that only has a top flag. When I added a cardboard ‘flag’ at the side, the flare went away and the lens looked good. Some flare is attractive but you know when you find it too strong. Not sure how I’m going to solve the issue but I might try to configure something temporary until I can get a matte box that supports barn doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Uli Plank

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:22 am

The black 'tin' foil that is used a lot for light sources can be used as an improvised barn door too.
Maybe AI can help you. Or make you obsolete.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

Robert Niessner

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 4:30 am

I think Uli means 'black wrap'.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

rick.lang

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:13 am

Thanks, guys.

Rick Lang

acidwhale

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 12:30 pm

Hו, considering the lumix g 12-35 2.8 (for the the black magic 4k, should i buy mark i or ii) and the popular sigma 18-35 plus ultra metabone sb. It will be my main lense, i have also 2 cheap vintage lense.
Is the sigma is much better then the lumix g without the metabone sb?
What whould you buy between the two lense?
Whish lense will give me better "image qulity"?
Tnks!

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 5:48 pm

Uli Plank wrote:The black 'tin' foil that is used a lot for light sources can be used as an improvised barn door too.

Also known as Cinefoil, great stuff, but you need to by a 12-inch by 10-foot roll.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

Lenses For Pocket Cinema 4K

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 9:01 pm

D’oh! I have some matte black board I think I can use.

Rick Lang

Justin Jackson

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 am

Damn.it is killing me not having that Sigma lens!

Two videos, diff lens/settings. Both are my kids HS soccer teams, so like 1.2 hours.. but if you take a peak of both for a couple mins or so it should offer enough info, and possibly enough to offer feedback :D

Here is my 28mm (bit darker though):

Here is my 85mm Rokinon:

I just feel like the Rokinon, besides being closer to the action, is sharper/clearer.

I thought for some reason upping the shutter speed would reduce blur. I put the ISO to 1250 (for the night game, the first link, with 28mm), and shutter was at 120, frames at 30. With the lighting, despite the lens being a F1.8, I dont think I can put the shutter up much higher without raising ISO and causing pixelation.

Both of these were shot using a monopod (with feet) as I was at another schools stadium and had to record from bleachers.. so not enough room for tripod legs while still getting good elevation.
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:51 am

They’re both good, but my preference is the 85mm as you get a better sense of the players especially on the near sideline. With the 28mm the players on the far sideline are just too small for my liking.

Rick Lang

garypayton

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:11 pm

I finally got a MMF 1 adapter and I could try the Olympus Zuiko 12-60mm f/2, 8-4.

Just took some night shots, in my town the night lighting is horrible, but it looks like a really good zoom, very sharp.

I must thank Ray for suggesting me this lens. With 250 euro i got the zoom and the mmf 1 adapter.

I will try it more in the next day and let you guys know.

Justin Jackson

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback. Interesting I felt the 28mm was a bit too blurry.

I am planning on shooting BRAW if it ever makes it to the camera! Thought we would have at least a beta version of it by now to play with! Curious if anyone is having random problems with it on the Ursa Mini Pro or not.

I agree that the 85mm gets in a bit closer. I tend to hope people will watch this on a 60" screen, but most will watch it on their phones.

So the Sigma will be great for most things, but in the case of sports video, the 85 seems about the best..but a few of you mentioned a bit of zoom. Is there a good 50 to 100 zoom that would be good on the BMPCC4K that works well enough in somewhat darker situations and provide zoom with no change to the video (e.g. lighter/darker as I zoom)?
Custom DIY AMD1950x 16-core/32-thread, liquid cooled, 64GB 3600Mhz RAM, 950Pro-512GB NVMe os/apps, 2x500GB 850 Evo RAID 0 SATA3, Zotac 1070 8GB video, USB 3.1Gen2 RAID0 2x4TB, 2x2TB Crucial MX500 SSD SATA3.

acidwhale

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 8:57 am

acidwhale wrote:Hו, considering the lumix g 12-35 2.8 (for the the black magic 4k, should i buy mark i or ii) and the popular sigma 18-35 plus ultra metabone sb. It will be my main lense, i have also 2 cheap vintage lense.
Is the sigma is much better then the lumix g without the metabone sb?
What whould you buy between the two lense?
Whish lense will give me better "image qulity"?
Tnks!

Hi. Can anyone enlight me?

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 am

Optically, the Sigma is much better, but it has no stabilizer. While it has AF, the manual focusing is quite good, too. The stabilizer on the 12-35mm is not really great for video, though.
The Sigma is heavy and with an adapter, it gets very front heavy.
So, it all depends on your shooting style.

acidwhale

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 am

Uli Plank wrote:Optically, the Sigma is much better, but it has no stabilizer. While it has AF, the manual focusing is quite good, too. The stabilizer on the 12-35mm is not really great for video, though.
The Sigma is heavy and with an adapter, it gets very front heavy.
So, it all depends on your shooting style.
Thank you very much Uli Plank, why do you say the stabilizer not great for video?
I understand there is differents in the stalization between Lumix i or ii . So if its nit great and i am going to use it for video. Should I buy mark i and save one hundred dollar?

Uli Plank

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:53 pm

I found both not really convincing (for video, photo is good). If you get the chance, compare it to the Olympus zoom with in-lens stabilization. But you can always switch it off, and then it's a good lens. The Sigma is faster, but has the longer focal range.
But that said, I don't consider lens stabilization very important for my shooting style. If I want to move, I use a shoulder support or a gimbal. That's why I wrote it all depends on your shooting style.

Justin Jackson

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:06 pm

I think like Uli says, it depends on your use.. but from all my gathering/learning, while stabilization in the lens could be handy in some situations, typically it is not something to worry about because you will generally be on a dolly, tripod, or gimbal of some sort anyway. For example, though I am waiting on the Moza Air X to be released/reviewed, I would think run-n-gun with the BMPCC4K on the Moza Air X or the Crane Lab 3 would provide plenty of stabilization to offset any worry about not having it on the lens. Plus, Resolve has a pretty solid stabilization option. If you shoot in 4K mode but only need 1080P then you can stabilize in software quite nicely. If the video is not too shaky, even using it in 4K only pushes in a little (zooms in) when keeping it in 4K.

I would opt (and plan to myself) for the better optical lens without IS than for one with it but is not as good.

JordanWright

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 pm

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/vi ... ine-lenses

New SLR Magic MicroPrimes being released in M43, I wonder if they will come out with there other existing lenses in the MicroPrime lineup in M43 mount

Denny Smith

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks Jordan. Interesting find, the SLR Magic Microprimes are a similar design to the Veydra Mini Primes, but slightly larger with 82mm filter and 95mm front rings, but the E-Mount version dies cover full frame. Now, maybe they will make a Nikon Z mount version also? The MFT versions also look promising for the new Pocket 4K, but are only currently available in wider focal lengths.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Justin Jackson

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Hmm.. I wish they offered EF mount, so I could take advantage of the crop reduction and boost though.

The 12mm sounds interesting though for closer run n gun, yah?

Denny Smith

PostFri Feb 15, 2019 11:06 pm

The two MFT Mount lenses will not cover anything larger than a MFT sensor, the E Mount lenses are full frame, so they could possibly be adapted to an EF mount for use with a Speed Booster.
That said, a few in Nikon’s new Z Mount would be nice. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm

Denny, since E-Mount FFD is quite a lot shorter than the EF-Mount, I don’t think you’re going to adapt an E lens for EF.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 11:52 pm

No Rick, you are correct, not with an adapter. I meant SLR Magic could make an EF version, but given the longer FFD, not likely without a complete new optical design. But, the Nikon Z is in the same shirt FFD ballpark as E and MFT, so that is more likely.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 2:36 am

Oh, yes, could be. I think one advantage of the E-Mount is that the glass can be smaller and still project a 135 film image. As you increase the FFD, you tend to get larger elements and some of the economies of the smaller lenses are lost.

Rick Lang

Chris Whitten

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 11:10 am

Disclosure: I'm a part timer when it comes to film cameras and technique.
OK......
I think the Sigma 18-35 is a fantastic lens. It is very sharp.
I ran into problems with moire on my original Pocket. I think some users were using diffusion filters?
The Pocket 4K gives an even cleaner HQ image I think, therefore I haven't tried my Sigma on it yet.
The Sigma is pretty heavy. It's going to be front heavy on any gimbal. I found that shorter body lenses worked best on my gimbal in that longer bodies tended to slightly move as you walk, accentuating a bounce which is NOT what you want with a gimbal. The stubbier Olympus 17mm worked better, as did an SLR Magic 10mm and some small M lenses.
Chris Whitten

Justin Jackson

PostSun Feb 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Chris, that is a great point. I think for me I want the Sigma for tripod mount use. I think a few eluded to some months back (cant remember which thread it was in) that a prime lens will be a lot better for run n gun and gimbal work because they are typically smaller/lighter as well as usually sharper, etc. I would love to find a good 12mm or so prime that is sharp, good in low light, etc.

I still have a lot to learn with the camera and how to operate lenses. I can typically get things to work with primes, but am < a part timer.. hobbyist at this point so havent even tried to set things up yet. Been so busy with other things in day to day that I havent even tried to use my RedKing with my BMPCC4K.. at best I am using the camera on a tripod or sometimes monopod with feet, and my 3 prime lenses (Rokinon 85mm, Canon nifty fifty or Canon 28 L). The other two EF lenses are the old DSLR kit lenses which I just dont want to use for video.

So for me, I think the Sigma should be my next lens, waiting for it to go back down to $550 like it was for a few days last year. Also thinking a 10mm to 16mm EF prime with the booster would be good, the SLR Magic seems like it might be a good option, but as said above they dont offer the EF version. I was also thinking a better quality 50mm prime would be good. The nifty is decent, but something of higher quality glass maybe?

Rado Stefanov

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:10 am

Justin Jackson wrote:Chris, that is a great point. I think for me I want the Sigma for tripod mount use. I think a few eluded to some months back (cant remember which thread it was in) that a prime lens will be a lot better for run n gun and gimbal work because they are typically smaller/lighter as well as usually sharper, etc. I would love to find a good 12mm or so prime that is sharp, good in low light, etc.

I still have a lot to learn with the camera and how to operate lenses. I can typically get things to work with primes, but am < a part timer.. hobbyist at this point so havent even tried to set things up yet. Been so busy with other things in day to day that I havent even tried to use my RedKing with my BMPCC4K.. at best I am using the camera on a tripod or sometimes monopod with feet, and my 3 prime lenses (Rokinon 85mm, Canon nifty fifty or Canon 28 L). The other two EF lenses are the old DSLR kit lenses which I just dont want to use for video.

So for me, I think the Sigma should be my next lens, waiting for it to go back down to $550 like it was for a few days last year. Also thinking a 10mm to 16mm EF prime with the booster would be good, the SLR Magic seems like it might be a good option, but as said above they dont offer the EF version. I was also thinking a better quality 50mm prime would be good. The nifty is decent, but something of higher quality glass maybe?

what is wrong with the Leica 12mm f1.4?
Rado Stefanov

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 1:46 am

The Panny Leica 13mm f/1.4 fits the bill, but is larger and more expensive than the SLR Magic 12, or 10mm Lens. The SLR Microprims are $500-600, the PL 12mm is $995 up. IQ wise, the PL 12mm is a grand lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tristan Pemberton

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 2:31 am

Marco Langatta wrote:Hi everyone, my first post in the forum. I'm a new owner of the BMPCC4K, I have a Metabones Speedbooster 0.71x, a Ronin-S with the follow focus unit and I'm struggling to decide which lens to pair with this setup (it's my first m4/3 camera, and until now I've always been a Sony shooter).
My first thought was about the Sigma 18-35 (maybe with a Pro Mist attached), but I'm seeing over and over in the internet people fighting to make the combo balance on the Ronin-S and I'm a bit scared about having troubles myself.
So the other choice would be the Samyang (Rokinon in American market) Cine Primes, but i fear they'll not have the same IQ of the Sigma, for what I read around (never used any of these lenses I'm talking about).
My main goal will be shooting music videos, and a little bit of documentary work, and I'm looking for as much as possible a 'cinematic' look. Until now, 90% of my work is on a gimbal.
Could everyone with experience with these lenses be so kind to give me some tips about this choice? It's the final piece of the equipment, my budget is almost over and I wouldn't want to miss the decision..thanks in advance!

I've been using a bunch of different lenses with the Ronin-S, all with MB BMCC 0.64x EF Speedbooster....

Tokina 11-16 T3 EF Cine
Zeiss Contax 18/4
Zeiss Contax 25/2.8
Zeiss Contax 35/2.8
Canon FD 20/2.8
Canon FD 24/2
Canon FD 35/2

But I've settled on the Canon FD 20-35/3.5. It's sharp, fast enough for gimbal (mostly I shoot at f4-5.6), doesn't change length when zoomed and is small and light. It's like three primes in one (20-24-35). Oh, and good copies are not that expensive. I use the Edmika EF mount replacement, and it works great.

For ultra wide I still keep the Tokina 11-16 handy.

For when I need to pull the camera on and off the gimbal - jumping between hand held and gimbal - I use the very useful Olympus 12-100/4 native MFT lens. Even extending the zoom a bit doesn't freak out the Ronin-S without re-balancing.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

antoniojr

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:04 am

Are you using the old EF To BMCC .64 metabones in the Pocket 4k without vignetting?

I Have a really good deal for that adapter but I was told that it has a smaller image circle so it vignettes. It would be great if you can share your experience. Thank you!!

Tristan Pemberton wrote:
Marco Langatta wrote:Hi everyone, my first post in the forum. I'm a new owner of the BMPCC4K, I have a Metabones Speedbooster 0.71x, a Ronin-S with the follow focus unit and I'm struggling to decide which lens to pair with this setup (it's my first m4/3 camera, and until now I've always been a Sony shooter).
My first thought was about the Sigma 18-35 (maybe with a Pro Mist attached), but I'm seeing over and over in the internet people fighting to make the combo balance on the Ronin-S and I'm a bit scared about having troubles myself.
So the other choice would be the Samyang (Rokinon in American market) Cine Primes, but i fear they'll not have the same IQ of the Sigma, for what I read around (never used any of these lenses I'm talking about).
My main goal will be shooting music videos, and a little bit of documentary work, and I'm looking for as much as possible a 'cinematic' look. Until now, 90% of my work is on a gimbal.
Could everyone with experience with these lenses be so kind to give me some tips about this choice? It's the final piece of the equipment, my budget is almost over and I wouldn't want to miss the decision..thanks in advance!

I've been using a bunch of different lenses with the Ronin-S, all with MB BMCC 0.64x EF Speedbooster....

Tokina 11-16 T3 EF Cine
Zeiss Contax 18/4
Zeiss Contax 25/2.8
Zeiss Contax 35/2.8
Canon FD 20/2.8
Canon FD 24/2
Canon FD 35/2

But I've settled on the Canon FD 20-35/3.5. It's sharp, fast enough for gimbal (mostly I shoot at f4-5.6), doesn't change length when zoomed and is small and light. It's like three primes in one (20-24-35). Oh, and good copies are not that expensive. I use the Edmika EF mount replacement, and it works great.

For ultra wide I still keep the Tokina 11-16 handy.

For when I need to pull the camera on and off the gimbal - jumping between hand held and gimbal - I use the very useful Olympus 12-100/4 native MFT lens. Even extending the zoom a bit doesn't freak out the Ronin-S without re-balancing.
Previous

Return to Cinematography