Another Lens Advice Question - Starting from Scratch

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Brandon Dunaway

Another Lens Advice Question - Starting from Scratch

PostSun Sep 30, 2018 11:59 pm

Hello everyone, newcomer here. Apologies in advance for yet another BMPCC4k lens post, but this will be my first purchase so I could use some advice and second opinions.

Like many here, I have the BMPCC4k pre-ordered. I currently do not have any lenses, so I'll be building from nothing. I've been reading a lot of posts here as well as watching YouTube reviews and scanning B&H and basically trying to get a crash course idea on what I should buy. My primary goal is to shoot narrative short films and vfx projects, though this will likely be the only camera I own so I will also use it for traveling, general stuff, etc. But narrative film is my top priority. Also, I'm on a budget and am planning to get a gimbal & eventually other gear.

Based on my research (right or wrong) I'm looking at two paths right now:

1) Get a Rokinon 12mm T2.2 Cine Lens to start, and later on add some of the longer lens Rokinon Cine's to round out my collection, like the 24mm T1.5 and/or 35mm T1.5. This is definitely nice on my budget starting out, and I've heard some pretty good things about these lenses for filmmaking.

2) Get the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art & a Viltrox adaptor. I'm considering this because I've heard so many great reviews of this lens, many saying it would effectively be like 3 primes in one. It would definitely be more convenient if I was in a situation where I didn't want to switch lens out, aka traveling. I'm only really considering it with Viltrox as Metabones makes it much less budget friendly. And it would be more on the budget initially as well.

So, for someone for whom one of these will be their only lens for a bit, and wants to mainly do narrative film, what do you think I should do? Or are both of my choices not ideal for my situation?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

-Brandon

Brandon Dunaway

Re: Another Lens Advice Question - Starting from Scratch

PostTue Oct 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Ok, so I keep reading that the Sigma lenses are sharper that the Rokinon, at least in certain lighting conditions.

So now I'm leaning towards the Sigma 16mm f1.4, assuming I stick with a native micro four thirds prime instead of going for the 18-35.

Is that a wise choice?

abdelibr

Re: Another Lens Advice Question - Starting from Scratch

PostSat Mar 21, 2020 11:52 pm

What did you end up going with?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Return to Cinematography