Viable Heads for Production 4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

William Carswell

Viable Heads for Production 4K

PostSun May 12, 2013 10:04 am

Does anyone have any experience with both the Sachtler FSB-6 and Miller Compass15.

I believe both of these heads would be good candidates for the camera.

Thanks.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

Re: Viable Heads for Production 4K

PostSun May 12, 2013 11:19 pm

LC  wrote:Does anyone have any experience with both the Sachtler FSB-6 and Miller Compass15.

I believe both of these heads would be good candidates for the camera.

Thanks.

I would recommend not buying an expensive accessory for the BMPC-4K until you have the camera in-hand. That way, you can test the tripod head (or other accessory) with your camera, and return the accessory for a refund if you don't like it.

The BMPC-4K is likely months away from shipping. At this point, no one (not even BMD) can guarantee when you'll be able to buy one.

So, unless you need the accessories for use with another camera, don't buy them now. Wait until you have your camera.

Other than a tripod having an adequate weight capacity rating that can adequately support a camera & typical add-on accessories, everything else about it is up to personal choice & personal preference.

-

simonkn

PostSun May 12, 2013 11:44 pm

LC,

If it helps, my camera laden with mattebox, follow focus, Canon 100-400L, rods and rails and v mount kit weighs in at just over 6 kgs. It sits very well on my lightweight Manfrotto 501 head. I use Manfrotto 109probX type legs for indoors and a 75mm bowl cup Chinese knock off set of legs for heavy duty, windy work. It's fine...

Yes, you can blow thousands on sticks, but I'm spending my thousands on glass.....

William Carswell

PostMon May 13, 2013 4:05 pm

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Simonkn, I appreciate the detailed load information. If I eventually go with the Sachtler, I now know that I will need the FSB 8 (1-9 kg) instead of the FSB 6 (1-6 kg).

LC

simonkn

PostThu May 16, 2013 10:48 pm

Glad to help, but I agree with Peter.. Hold off getting anything until a delivery date is set..

Stephen Mickelsen

PostFri May 17, 2013 12:16 am

FWIW, I use an FSB-8 with my BMCC-EF. The rig is loaded - matte box, wireless focus, monitor, brick etc. Works very well. The counterbalance is set at 6 so still room to go.

William Carswell

PostFri May 17, 2013 10:35 am

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you tried the rig with a light load? If so, how well did it perform? Also, any issues with not having a center weight-stabilizing hook?

I'm getting a Blackmagic Pocket Camera as a B-roll camera and would like to use this rig with that camera as well.

StephenH

PostFri May 17, 2013 10:56 am

LC wrote:

I'm getting a Blackmagic Pocket Camera as a B-roll camera and would like to use this rig with that camera as well.

If you don't mind another's input. I have a FSB-6. I originally had a Panasonic HVX202 rigged with matte box and follow focus and director LCD. Approx. 4-4.5kg. I now have a D800 with similar rig, just shorter approx. 2-2.5kg. The FSB-6 has an incredible fluid mechanism with different spring balance settings for centre balance. It will work with the BMPCC, but you will need to add some rigging, otherwise you will find it difficult to balance the return to centre on this model. I think from memory it is somewhere between 1-1.5kg is a good starting point for the FSB-6. I have tried a lot of the friction fluid heads like the Manafrotto's 501/503 and Miller DV series, but you will not believe what a true fluid head is like until you try the FSB series.

If was considering the BMCC 4K I would probably go for the FSB-8, but you will need to weight it up for the BMPCC on this model for it to balance well.

Steve.

William Carswell

PostFri May 17, 2013 12:55 pm

Dear Stephen,

Thanks for the detailed feedback. It sounds like the FSB-6 will work nicely for a light-rigged Production 4K camera and still work for a smaller set up.

The reason I was considering the FSB-8 is that Sachtler has it listed as working from 2.0 to 19.8 lbs vs. the FSB-6 stated at 2.2 to 13.2 lbs. It appeared that the FSB-8 would be better at handling a smaller payload. Based on your comments, that is not the case.

Also, my thought was to get the regular FSB head and not the "T" model.

Any thoughts?

StephenH

PostFri May 17, 2013 11:17 pm

LC wrote:
The reason I was considering the FSB-8 is that Sachtler has it listed as working from 2.0 to 19.8 lbs vs. the FSB-6 stated at 2.2 to 13.2 lbs. It appeared that the FSB-8 would be better at handling a smaller payload. Based on your comments, that is not the case.

Any thoughts?

It has been a while since I did the research on both the 6 and 8. You are probably right about the FSB-8. I thought that the entry weight was higher than the FSB-6, looks like I was incorrect. The Miller Compass is a very nice fluid head also, maybe that's where I got my wires crossed with entry weights. I think the Compass 15 was higher than the FSB-6 or 8. I don't think you can go wrong with the FSB-8 and if the specs. are as you quoted than it will be on a par with the FSB-6, but with a slightly higher pay load so to speak. I do know if you are used to friction heads you are in for a very nice surprise with either of these fluid head brands.

Steve.

William Carswell

PostFri May 17, 2013 11:21 pm

Thanks, Steve.

StephenH

PostFri May 17, 2013 11:23 pm

LC wrote:

Sorry, missed this bit. I have the side loading snap-in standard hot shoe. I did look into the "T" model but decided on the standard. Can't remember now, but I think the standard has longer adjustment of the tripod plate fore and aft than the T has. Maybe someone else with the T can step in and give their thoughts.

Steve.

rick.lang

PostFri May 17, 2013 11:51 pm

LC wrote:The reason I was considering the FSB-8 is that Sachtler has it listed as working from 2.0 to 19.8 lbs vs. the FSB-6 stated at 2.2 to 13.2 lbs. It appeared that the FSB-8 would be better at handling a smaller payload. Based on your comments, that is not the case.

Either setup is a significant expense that you likely only want to make once. If you buy the FSB-6 and later decide you might want to add a jib or other gear, wouldn't it be safer to go with the tripod you feel will serve your future needs as well as your present?

Rick Lang
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rick Lang

William Carswell

PostSat May 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Dear Rick,

Now that I understand that both heads function in a similar way with lighter payloads, going with the FSB-8 would be a better choice.

Thank you.

Return to Cinematography