"No Card" Issue BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Ryan of WellCrafted

Re: "No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 am

I'm in the same lot as the rest of ya. ProRes seems to work fine on an old 16GB 45MB/s Sandisk I have. But I bought 2 of the 128GB Extreme Pros, like everyone else, and they are all 'No Card'. I purchased 2 more on Amazon that were supposed to be the old cards model # but they shipped the same new versions and they were 'No Card' too. I'm going to return these and try to find some old cards around town. Doesn't anyone know of any alternatives yet? :cry:

StMond

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

I post this discussion on the same topic here because many might not be aware of: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&p=477241#p477241

There is also this alternative card, quoted below, that some of you might want to try.

Johan Cramer wrote:Found out that the Samsung EVO Plus UHS-1 256GB (advertised on the package with "Read Speed up to 100MBs/, Write Speed up to 90 MB/s), a MicroSD card with included full-size SD adapter, works flawlessly for recording up to 30fps RAW CinemaDNG on the old (1080p) Pocket Cinema Camera. Tested 20 minutes continuous recording with lots of flicker and motion - no problems/framedrops whatsoever.

Just like the old Sandisk Extreme Pro, it also works for recording 4K DCI CinemaDNG 4:1 with up to 25fps in the Pocket 4K.

The Samsung card is a bargain for about $60. Would be good if BM could officially test and (hopefully) approve it.

speed test samsung evo plus 256gb.PNG

vanschr

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:09 pm

mikeh1318 wrote:I bought 3 cards online and got them today. None of them worked, so I went online and found this forum post. I have 2 128 gb Sandisk uhs-1 v30 class 10 cards SN ending in 765G and 766G and 1 256 bg sandisk uhs-1 class 10 card with SN ending in 766G. The product code above the barcode all end in GN4IN.

What alternative SD card brands do you recommend that work? All I have used is Sandisk
There is nothing off the shelf and BM won't do a thing unfortunately

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Australian Image

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:48 pm

I'm curious now. There are many different brands of memory card available, yet everyone here just keeps trying Sandisk cards without success. Why the aversion to trying different brands?

And I don't know why people keep blaming Blackmagic.
https://australianimage.com.au/

vanschr

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Australian Image wrote:I'm curious now. There are many different brands of memory card available, yet everyone here just keeps trying Sandisk cards without success. Why the aversion to trying different brands?

And I don't know why people keep blaming Blackmagic.
Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

John Paines

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:36 pm

There's one report that the Samsung evo-plus 256gb micro card records raw. This would be surprising to me, since I know the 128GB version is recognized but unreliable in the BMPCC. But it may be worth trying, if you have nothing else. (BTW, the Samsung does work in the BMPCC 4K, though its performance is inferior to the 95MB Sandisks, for UHD and 4K.)

There's another unverified positive report on Kingston cards as well.

Brad Hurley

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see if BMD comes out with new Video Assist models that can record to SSDs, or a new incarnation of the Hyperdeck Shuttle that can do the same. If the SD card issue doesn't get resolved, this may be the only long-term option for the original BMPCC and the BM Micro Cinema Camera. Probably the best current solution is the Video Devices Pix-E monitor/recorder; it costs about as much as the camera though.
Resolve 15, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 6:12 pm

Yes, but the PixE has outstanding audio support also. Another option is to redo the VA using the new XQD card with the CFExpress interface, as this is the new tech for high speed data recording/transfer, and is between a CFast and SD card in size and price. Also BMD could just go with the SD UHS2 card that seems to still work,in the VA4K aand was the media choice for the new Pocket, along with CFast cards, the later being more reliable.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Australian Image

Re:

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 7:42 pm

vanschr wrote:Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

I've been looking at buying a used BMPCC for a long time, but I'm not going to get one to become a test bunny for SD cards. If I already owned the camera, I would. I've pointed out that I can use the Samsung micro-SD 256GB Evo card in my BMPCC4K using RAW and have no issues, which is why I suggested that as a potential option.

The Samsung is not in the recommended list as clearly Blackmagic can't test every card available, which is why I'm curious that no one is curious to try other brands. And just because Sony addressed an 'issue' with their camera does not mean that the issue is the same when it comes to the BMPCC. The only cards that seem to be tested by users is one Sandisk after another. There are an incredible number of SD brands around that use different controllers and, who knows, maybe a few will work with the BMPCC.

Steve Holmlund

Re: Re:

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 4:54 am

Australian Image wrote:
vanschr wrote:Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

I've been looking at buying a used BMPCC for a long time, but I'm not going to get one to become a test bunny for SD cards. If I already owned the camera, I would. I've pointed out that I can use the Samsung micro-SD 256GB Evo card in my BMPCC4K using RAW and have no issues, which is why I suggested that as a potential option.

The Samsung is not in the recommended list as clearly Blackmagic can't test every card available, which is why I'm curious that no one is curious to try other brands. And just because Sony addressed an 'issue' with their camera does not mean that the issue is the same when it comes to the BMPCC. The only cards that seem to be tested by users is one Sandisk after another. There are an incredible number of SD brands around that use different controllers and, who knows, maybe a few will work with the BMPCC.

In the sticky thread on this issue, CJ Maynard reported positive results with the Sony 95MB/sec 128GB card. I've just ordered the 64GB version of this card to try on my BMPCC. Will report in a few days once it arrives.

It turns out there are not that many UHS1 cards in the same class as the Sandisk cards. The Sony line appears to be one of them (95MB/sec max read, 90MB/sec max write, 30MB/sec min write).

Because there are not that many options, I fail to see why BMD cannot devote a couple man-days to testing the alternatives.

But as we know, once you determine that BMD is not going to do something, you stop complaining about it and just figure out a different way to resolve the issue.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40, Panasonic 100-300 II
i7 8700k / GTX 1080

Australian Image

Re: Re:

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 5:04 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
But as we know, once you determine that BMD is not going to do something, you stop complaining about it and just figure out a different way to resolve the issue.

Steve

I've always worked on the premise that if I have a problem, I'll see if I can fix it myself before calling for help. Not only has that allowed me to learn numerous skills and thus resolve problems myself, it's also saved me quite a bit of money not relying on others to do what can often be a crappy job.

vanschr

PostTue Feb 19, 2019 8:18 am

Australian Image wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:

Steve

I've always worked on the premise that if I have a problem, I'll see if I can fix it myself before calling for help. Not only has that allowed me to learn numerous skills and thus resolve problems myself, it's also saved me quite a bit of money not relying on others to do what can often be a crappy job.
I think a lot of us do. But there comes a time that you've exhausted most avenues.. I'll try to find the Sony 95 thread where it's reported frame drops in RAW on the BMPCC. But it will be good if we have another case.

Previous

Return to Cinematography