"No Card" Issue BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Valery Axenov

Re:

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 11:27 am

rick.lang wrote:Or swim against the current...

)) For sure, customers are the best material (and the chipest one) to test new products. I speek about new v30 SanDisc Cards, only.)

Steve Holmlund

Re: "No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:32 pm

vanschr wrote:Sandisk changed the controller on the 95Mb/s cards and they will never again work on BMPCC or Micro or 5" VA.

We have to now focus on the new 170Mb/s cards just released and just hope they work with above.
sandisk.PNG

I just ordered this from B&H. Will report on BMPCC compatibility next week when it arrives. Hopefully, it is not a "hit and miss" situation with respect to card capacities, batch numbers, etc.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

sabaugh

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 11:42 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:
vanschr wrote:Sandisk changed the controller on the 95Mb/s cards and they will never again work on BMPCC or Micro or 5" VA.

We have to now focus on the new 170Mb/s cards just released and just hope they work with above.
sandisk.PNG

I just ordered this from B&H. Will report on BMPCC compatibility next week when it arrives. Hopefully, it is not a "hit and miss" situation with respect to card capacities, batch numbers, etc.

Steve

I ordered the new 170MB/s SDSDXXY 128GB card from B&H Thursday and it arrived today. It behaves the same as the new 95MB/s SDSDXXG 128GBcards in my Video Assist (non-4K). It shows "No Card" even with the card in it. I tried reformatting it in my Mac, but still no luck.

However, a couple 300MB/s SDSDXPK 128GB cards SanDisk RMA'd me for my 95MB/s SDSDXXG do work in the VA, just cost over 5x as much as the 95MB/s to purchase more...

Steve Holmlund

PostSat Dec 29, 2018 11:46 pm

sabaugh wrote:I ordered the new 170MB/s SDSDXXY 128GB card from B&H Thursday and it arrived today. It behaves the same as the new 95MB/s SDSDXXG 128GBcards in my Video Assist (non-4K). It shows "No Card" even with the card in it. I tried reformatting it in my Mac, but still no luck.

However, a couple 300MB/s SDSDXPK 128GB cards SanDisk RMA'd me for my 95MB/s SDSDXXG do work in the VA, just cost over 5x as much...

Bummer. I'll let you know what happens when I get mine but now I'm not very optimistic.

Thanks for the report.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

vanschr

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 6:00 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
sabaugh wrote:I ordered the new 170MB/s SDSDXXY 128GB card from B&H Thursday and it arrived today. It behaves the same as the new 95MB/s SDSDXXG 128GBcards in my Video Assist (non-4K). It shows "No Card" even with the card in it. I tried reformatting it in my Mac, but still no luck.

However, a couple 300MB/s SDSDXPK 128GB cards SanDisk RMA'd me for my 95MB/s SDSDXXG do work in the VA, just cost over 5x as much...

Bummer. I'll let you know what happens when I get mine but now I'm not very optimistic.

Thanks for the report.
Steve
This is beyond sad!!!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Valery Axenov

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 12:29 pm

If other brands recognize all mentioned SD cards without problems I know for sure what new software upgrade to be relisted by BM in coming new year.)) (ps. please do not forget about bmpcc users.)

vanschr

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 3:28 pm

Valery Axenov wrote:If other brands recognize all mentioned SD cards without problems I know for sure what new software upgrade to be relisted by BM in coming new year.)) (ps. please do not forget about bmpcc users.)
I bought a 1080 Micro and a Bmpcc a month ago and I can't use it for RAW as there's no card off the shelf that will reliably support RAW it seems.

John Paines

Re:

PostSun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

vanschr wrote:I bought a 1080 Micro and a Bmpcc a month ago and I can't use it for RAW as there's no card off the shelf that will reliably support RAW it seems.

Any Extreme Pro 32GB card. Sony SD cards. There are also reports that the SD cards approved for the BMPCC 4K work in the BMPCC, though they're 5x the cost.

Steve Holmlund

Re: Re:

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 6:17 pm

John Paines wrote:
vanschr wrote:I bought a 1080 Micro and a Bmpcc a month ago and I can't use it for RAW as there's no card off the shelf that will reliably support RAW it seems.

Any Extreme Pro 32GB card. Sony SD cards. There are also reports that the SD cards approved for the BMPCC 4K work in the BMPCC, though they're 5x the cost.

Further to John's post, I haven't seen a report yet on these Sony "95MB/s max read" cards (128GB version link here), but they seem like the best options to replace SanDisk.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 0mb_s.html

Maybe someone will confirm soon. Sorry if I missed it.
Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

BkellyTech

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 9:49 pm

Does anyone know ANY cards still sold that will work in the bmpcc for recording ProRes HQ?
Ideally I'd like a 128gb.

The few cards recommended on the BM list are SanDisk and not sold anymore. Sony drops frames using M class UHS-II. I can't get anything else to be recognized.

I made sure the BMPCC was updated to the latest. Running the latest BM Camera Setup it says it is up to date at version 2.1 for the camera. Blackmagic support won't help because this is a 'legacy' product.

Is this truly a brick at this point?

John Paines

PostMon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 pm

Australian Image wrote:I can't say whether it will work, but why not try a Samsung EVO+ SDXC Class 3 card.

I *can* say, and the answer is "no", as previously reported. The actual working alternatives have already been noted.

vanschr

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 8:53 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:
John Paines wrote:

Further to John's post, I haven't seen a report yet on these Sony "95MB/s max read" cards (128GB version link here), but they seem like the best options to replace SanDisk.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... 0mb_s.html

Maybe someone will confirm soon. Sorry if I missed it.
Steve
That will be fantastic as UHS-II doesn't seem to be an option with dropped frames reported not even to mention the price. Anyone with knowledge of the 95MB Sony UHS-I cards?

JohnVL

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 2:29 pm

I just bought a Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB and my BMPCC doesn't find the SD card. Only afterward did I read the Blackmagic site and discover that the newer serial numbers are not supported. It is quite strange that Sandisk would change the format so much that the card is not recognized but not change the model name of the SD card. Anyways, I haven't found any news on what the chances are that the newer cards will be supported by firmware update within the next few months. Is there any news on this? Have Blackmagic Design said anything? What is likely to happen and are there any workarounds for recording RAW with the BMPCC? I understand that the camera won't record RAW to external media which is too bad.

buddley

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:32 pm

Oops just canceled my order of sdsdxxg 128gb. Now I’m hunting for the old version. Sdsdxp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BkellyTech

PostTue Jan 01, 2019 7:53 pm

"Ancin" isn't reliable -- just bought a SANDISK 128G from best buy

SN - SDSXXG-128G-ANCIN

Batch 80-56-17328-128G

no Luck, will not recognize

buddley

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 5:04 pm

BkellyTech wrote:"Ancin" isn't reliable -- just bought a SANDISK 128G from best buy

SN - SDSXXG-128G-ANCIN

Batch 80-56-17328-128G

As far as I've seen previous posts, ANCIN version only works on 64G. I'm going 32G way now. It makes me feel like using 800ft S16 stock.

djshure

PostWed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 pm

hmm this seems to suck?

just got a bmpcc and was excited to get filming and now it seems almost impossible to get a working card for it? Using a sony 95 mbps 128 gb card and it reads the card but it drops frames occasionally.

If anyone has any recommendations of how to get a working card, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Do we think blackmagic will release a firmware update that fixes the problem?

JohnVL

BMPCC "no card issue". Will it be resolved firmware update?

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 10:05 am

My brand new SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB 95 MB/s V30 (SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN) can't be found by my BMPCC.

Blackmagic Design has acknowledged the problem on this website which leads me to my questions:
1) will this problem likely be resolved by a firmware update and
2) if so when is this likely to happen? Are we talking weeks, months or years before we know anything new about this issue?

I realize the technical issues with the new cards (that go by the same brand name) might not yet be understood very well and that any estimate, therefore, might be wildly inaccurate but any information is better than none. Maybe the answer could be similar to a weather forecast, for instance:

There is a 50% chance there will be a firmware fix at any point in time and a 10% chance it will be within the next 3 months or:

if we can't fix it within 2 months then the chances of it being fixed via firmware are less than 5%. I know this is not much information but it would surely be better than no information.

sabaugh

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 pm

buddley wrote:
BkellyTech wrote:"Ancin" isn't reliable -- just bought a SANDISK 128G from best buy

SN - SDSXXG-128G-ANCIN

Batch 80-56-17328-128G

As far as I've seen previous posts, ANCIN version only works on 64G. I'm going 32G way now. It makes me feel like using 800ft S16 stock.

From my chat with a SanDisk rep, here is the answer regarding the model number suffix:
There is no specification difference between the SDSDXXG-128G-ANCIN and SDSDXXG-128G-GN4IN models.

ANCIN and GN4IN are the regional marketing code.

In my experience, ANCIN refers to cards packaged in a paperboard clam shell with the card protruding through the front of the paperboard in a clear plastic slot. GN4IN, on the other hand, refers to cards packaged in a small paperboard box that is about 1/4" thick.

I've received ANCIN from B&H and Best Buy, but GN4IN from Amazon.

Given this, I'd caution purchasing specific models based on the suffix, because they're probably the same card, just in a different package.

Denny Smith

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 6:27 pm

The original Pocket camera (and all legacy SD card BM devices like the VA 5-inch) reject an SD card because it can not sustain the required data rate, so a camera firmware update is not going to make an incompatible SD card work. SanDisk did something to change how the newer Extreme Pro UHSI cards control their data rates :?: The best fix is for SanDisk to fix the issue causing the new cards not to work as expected, or BM updates how the Camera determines the SD card type, or a combo of both. I am not sure how the BM cameras/devices determine the suitability of a given SD card type.

I have a Ursa Broadcast camera, and have successfully used a SanDisk CFast II card not on the BM Media List. SanDisk is releasing a new SD UHS I card in the wake of this incompatibility issue, so hopefully this fixes the problem, along with the new Sony SD UHS I cards.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

sabaugh

PostThu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Denny Smith wrote:The original Pocket camera (and all legacy SD card BM devices like the VA 5-inch) reject an SD card because it can not sustain the required data rate, so a camera firmware update is not going to make an incompatible SD card work. SanDisk did something to change how the newer Extreme Pro UHSI cards control their data rates :?: The best fix is for SanDisk to fix the issue causing the new cards not to work as expected, or BM updates how the Camera determines the SD card type, or a combo of both. I am not sure how the BM cameras/devices determine the suitability of a given SD card type.

I have a Ursa Broadcast camera, and have successfully used a SanDisk CFast II card not on the BM Media List. SanDisk is releasing a new SD UHS I card in the wake of this incompatibility issue, so hopefully this fixes the problem, along with the new Sony SD UHS I cards.
Cheers

FWIW I don't think that's the case. I just put an old SanDisk Ultra 30MB/s SDHC card in the VA and it doesn't show "No card," even though this card is obviously not rated for the required data rate. The VA recognizes the card, allows me to format it, and allows me to record to it (with dropped frames of course). This card tests at 14MB/s write speed and yet the VA still allows it to be used, so I don't think the VA is just (or at all) checking for supported data rates.

As for the new 170MB/s SanDisk cards, as I posted above, I purchased one of these and it does not work in my VA (shows "No card").

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 2:13 am

Steve Holmlund wrote:

Thanks for the report.
Steve

NO CARD. Another data point, this time in a BMPCC, that the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB (up to 170MB/s) is NOT recognized.

Product Code: SDSDXXY-128GB-ANCIN
UPC Code: 6 19659 16932 2
Number below UPC code: 80-56-18028-128G
Batch code (number on back of SD card): BP1832851766G

This card does work in a GH3.

Interestingly, the SanDisk office in Milpitas, CA is 4 miles south of BMD's location in Fremont, CA. Google maps shows the drive currently would take 11 minutes.

Steve
Attachments
SanDisk 128GB.jpg
SanDisk 128GB.jpg (804.35 KiB) Viewed 98991 times
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 04, 2019 2:38 am

OK Seath, thanks. I tried a SanDisk 32GB Uktramin mymPicket, and the camera would not recognize the card, or format it. So I was thinking the camera had some way of,checking the cards header info or something to know it would not work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

drublik

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi fellows,

Same issue here with my Pocket (original one).
With my SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 128gb, "No card" issue and "format card" option is unavailable, but it recognize the (normally too slow) Transcend SDHC-I 32gb, "format card" option is available but then, error message "unable to format your card"

I tried with 3 other cards, formated with my computer, still "no card", that is annoying as I have to work with it next week. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frankie

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Jan 11, 2019 4:37 pm

drublik wrote:Hi fellows,

Same issue here with my Pocket (original one).
With my SanDisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-I 128gb, "No card" issue and "format card" option is unavailable, but it recognize the (normally too slow) Transcend SDHC-I 32gb, "format card" option is available but then, error message "unable to format your card"

I tried with 3 other cards, formated with my computer, still "no card", that is annoying as I have to work with it next week. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Frankie

I would try the Sony 95MB/s cards but note that I think one user reported dropped frames during recording. But I don’t recall all the details.

I haven’t had a chance to try the Sony cards, myself.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

vanschr

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:51 pm

I tried a new 32GB card and same problem. Sony 95 MB/s drops frames. I'm officially stuck with 2 Bricks! BM Micro Cinema and BMPCC. It's been months now and no official word from Blackmagic. Do we have anyone on this forum that can get us a response?

John Paines

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 5:58 pm

vanschr wrote:I tried a new 32GB card and same problem. Sony 95 MB/s drops frames. I'm officially stuck with 2 Bricks! BM Micro Cinema and BMPCC. It's been months now and no official word from Blackmagic. Do we have anyone on this forum that can get us a response?

That's the first report that new 32GB cards aren't working, which is unfortunate. And if the Sonys are dropping frames, that doesn't leave much. I think somebody reported that the Samsung EVO Pro (micro disk) works in the Micro, but it didn't work in the BMPCC. It was recognized, but the performance was erratic -- wouldn't stop recording without shutting off the camera.

In your own case, you may have no alternative but to go to the used market. Amazon has used Extreme Pro cards, as do some independent American dealers, like Adorama.

vanschr

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 7:02 pm

John Paines wrote:
vanschr wrote:I tried a new 32GB card and same problem. Sony 95 MB/s drops frames. I'm officially stuck with 2 Bricks! BM Micro Cinema and BMPCC. It's been months now and no official word from Blackmagic. Do we have anyone on this forum that can get us a response?

That's the first report that new 32GB cards aren't working, which is unfortunate. And if the Sonys are dropping frames, that doesn't leave much. I think somebody reported that the Samsung EVO Pro (micro disk) works in the Micro, but it didn't work in the BMPCC. It was recognized, but the performance was erratic -- wouldn't stop recording without shutting off the camera.

In your own case, you may have no alternative but to go to the used market. Amazon has used Extreme Pro cards, as do some independent American dealers, like Adorama.
Thanks John! I guess second hand will be my only hope. Would be nice to hear from BM though.

arabadzhiyski

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:09 am

Apparently, Sony fixed the no card issue on their a7 and a9 models with a firmware update:

https://briansmith.com/sony-a7-iii-warn ... ory-cards/

So, why can't BMD fix it for the PCC?

arabadzhiyski

PostThu Jan 17, 2019 8:54 pm

I got a Kingston 64GB CanvasReact V30 A1 (exFat factory formatted) for 17 EUR (that's nearly half the price of san disk where I live). It was recognized immediately. I recorded 5min 30sec RAW @30fps without drop frames.

Later, I got a "no card". With the camera on, I reinserted the card and it read it again. After formatting the card in the camera, the problem disappeared.

vanschr

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 10:18 am

Come on Blackmagic say SOMETHING!!!!!!

Sony has released Firmware Update 2.10 for a7 III & a7R III cameras with a fix for a bug found in the previous firmware version 2.00. This update also resolves an incompatibility issue caused by a recent change to the design of SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-1 SDXC cards.

sabaugh

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm

vanschr wrote:Come on Blackmagic say SOMETHING!!!!!!

Technically they have said something (http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=83050), just nothing more than acknowledging the problem and recommending you buy a model of card that is no longer in production.

vanschr

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 5:24 pm

True that! We all know SANDISK is to blame for changing the controllers but at least SONY came to the party and provided a fix. I'm SO regretting the day i decided to buy BM. I bought a BMPCC, BMMCC and VA. Should have just gone with a new GH5. It's insane that we only have the option of SANDISK as a reliable documented means of capturing RAW.

Denny Smith

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 6:42 pm

It is not that simple, Sony ca eras do not record ProRes or Raw codecs internally, so do not require a high bandwidth recording media, it is more than just base speed. The Pocket/VA needs a much higher bandwidth recording media, at a minimum of 95MBs, the Sony does not. Why do you think Atomos is still using SSDs in their Ninja/Shogun Monitor recorders, it’s more reliable. ;)

Having to depend on a few SD cards for recording, is why I sold my VA, and got the PixE with its more reliable recording media, that was available in decent capacity, to record long events. SD cards are too unpredictable in their performance, and reliability for me, and this current issue with SanDisk, the major SD card source for the VA and BM SD cameras, proves this point.

SD cards are really a consumer market device, not a professional recording media. Wedding photographers wound use a SD camera without two slots, so they can have an instant backup, that’s how much they trust SD cards.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

vanschr

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 8:26 pm

Denny Smith wrote:It is not that simple, Sony ca eras do not record ProRes or Raw codecs internally, so do not require a high bandwidth recording media, it is more than just base speed. The Pocket/VA needs a much higher bandwidth recording media, at a minimum of 95MBs, the Sony does not. Why do you think Atomos is still using SSDs in their Ninja/Shogun Monitor recorders, it’s more reliable. ;)

Having to depend on a few SD cards for recording, is why I sold my VA, and got the PixE with its more reliable recording media, that was available in decent capacity, to record long events. SD cards are too unpredictable in their performance, and reliability for me, and this current issue with SanDisk, the major SD card source for the VA and BM SD cameras, proves this point.

SD cards are really a consumer market device, not a professional recording media. Wedding photographers wound use a SD camera without two slots, so they can have an instant backup, that’s how much they trust SD cards.
Cheers
Well said Denny!

vanschr

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Can anyone vouch for the new NON working SANDISK cards working in the BMPCC 4K please as i have the opportunity to make a swap for old cards (Friend has a BMPCC 4K with old cards). I don't want to buy new cards and then they don't work on the 4K.

Denny Smith

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:27 pm

While they should work, they are UHS1 cards and will not record full 4K, or any fast frame rates, the new Pocket 4K has a UHS2 SD card slot and UHS2 cards record at faster data rates than USH1 cards. For details, see the BM SD card recommended list for details.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

vanschr

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Denny Smith wrote:While they should work, they are UHS1 cards and will not record full 4K, or any fast frame rates, the new Pocket 4K has a UHS2 SD card slot and UHS2 cards record at faster data rates than USH1 cards. For details, see the BM SD card recommended list for details.
Cheers
Yes I know, but the owner is keeping them just in case BM Raw makes it possible for him to use the cards. So I have the opportunity to swap him. If I can get confirmation I can do the deal.

carlomacchiavello

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:
Steve Holmlund wrote:

Thanks for the report.
Steve

NO CARD. Another data point, this time in a BMPCC, that the SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB (up to 170MB/s) is NOT recognized.

Product Code: SDSDXXY-128GB-ANCIN
UPC Code: 6 19659 16932 2
Number below UPC code: 80-56-18028-128G
Batch code (number on back of SD card): BP1832851766G

This card does work in a GH3.

Interestingly, the SanDisk office in Milpitas, CA is 4 miles south of BMD's location in Fremont, CA. Google maps shows the drive currently would take 11 minutes.

Steve

Uhm are sure are original San disk?
170mb/s is not found in San disk web site, and I saw a tons of conterfeid sd card on Amazon Italy of that speed.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

John Paines

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 5:50 pm

I don't know if anyone's tested the latest 170/90 cards, but 95/90 Extreme Pro cards will work in BMPCC 4K, within certain limits.

@23.976, 4K Prores HQ, UHD Prores HQ and UHD 4:1 raw will record for several minutes, though it would be ill-advised to use them for takes that long, as the results are likely to be variable. For FHD, card capacity seems to be the only limit.

vanschr

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Maybe i should rephrase. I just need to know if the new non working (for VA, BMPCC, BMMCC) SANDISK 95MB/s Extreme Pro cards will be recognized in the BMPCC 4K.

ie not recognized in VA non 4K, BMPCC, BMMCC but recognized in BMPCC 4K.

Thanks in advance!

Sandeep Gill

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 11:37 am

I posted this in the sticky but for reference:

I've bought three 256GB SDSDXXG cards in the last three months and all have worked perfectly with my BMPCC. Sustained RAW recording with no dropped frames.

I have the latest firmware but I'm starting to wonder if the issue could be camera unit specific? The only other factor I can think of is that I'm UK based and so perhaps European (country code in the serial number - G) cards are fine whereas North American cards have issues?

Chris Whitten

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 1:16 pm

I sold my BMPCC in the UK and the new owner couldn't find any new Sandisk cards the camera would recognise.
So the UK is absolutely not exempt.
Chris Whitten

mikeh1318

PostFri Feb 08, 2019 6:09 pm

I bought 3 cards online and got them today. None of them worked, so I went online and found this forum post. I have 2 128 gb Sandisk uhs-1 v30 class 10 cards SN ending in 765G and 766G and 1 256 bg sandisk uhs-1 class 10 card with SN ending in 766G. The product code above the barcode all end in GN4IN.

What alternative SD card brands do you recommend that work? All I have used is Sandisk

Ryan of WellCrafted

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 3:38 am

I'm in the same lot as the rest of ya. ProRes seems to work fine on an old 16GB 45MB/s Sandisk I have. But I bought 2 of the 128GB Extreme Pros, like everyone else, and they are all 'No Card'. I purchased 2 more on Amazon that were supposed to be the old cards model # but they shipped the same new versions and they were 'No Card' too. I'm going to return these and try to find some old cards around town. Doesn't anyone know of any alternatives yet? :cry:

StMond

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

I post this discussion on the same topic here because many might not be aware of: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83050&p=477241#p477241

There is also this alternative card, quoted below, that some of you might want to try.

Johan Cramer wrote:Found out that the Samsung EVO Plus UHS-1 256GB (advertised on the package with "Read Speed up to 100MBs/, Write Speed up to 90 MB/s), a MicroSD card with included full-size SD adapter, works flawlessly for recording up to 30fps RAW CinemaDNG on the old (1080p) Pocket Cinema Camera. Tested 20 minutes continuous recording with lots of flicker and motion - no problems/framedrops whatsoever.

Just like the old Sandisk Extreme Pro, it also works for recording 4K DCI CinemaDNG 4:1 with up to 25fps in the Pocket 4K.

The Samsung card is a bargain for about $60. Would be good if BM could officially test and (hopefully) approve it.

speed test samsung evo plus 256gb.PNG

vanschr

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:09 pm

mikeh1318 wrote:I bought 3 cards online and got them today. None of them worked, so I went online and found this forum post. I have 2 128 gb Sandisk uhs-1 v30 class 10 cards SN ending in 765G and 766G and 1 256 bg sandisk uhs-1 class 10 card with SN ending in 766G. The product code above the barcode all end in GN4IN.

What alternative SD card brands do you recommend that work? All I have used is Sandisk
There is nothing off the shelf and BM won't do a thing unfortunately

vanschr

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Australian Image wrote:I'm curious now. There are many different brands of memory card available, yet everyone here just keeps trying Sandisk cards without success. Why the aversion to trying different brands?

And I don't know why people keep blaming Blackmagic.
Simple answer. No other brands work reliably for RAW. Collectively we've tried all of them. Please if you know of another brand that is easily sourced and works in RAW then don't hold back. Not blaming BM but don't you think they should take some accountability for developing and selling a product that only works reliably with one card and when that one card no longer is available makes it the customers problem to figure out. Sony released a firmware upgrade to address this problem with the Sandisk cards. Blackmagic is just sending their customers to Sandisk.

John Paines

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 3:36 pm

There's one report that the Samsung evo-plus 256gb micro card records raw. This would be surprising to me, since I know the 128GB version is recognized but unreliable in the BMPCC. But it may be worth trying, if you have nothing else. (BTW, the Samsung does work in the BMPCC 4K, though its performance is inferior to the 95MB Sandisks, for UHD and 4K.)

There's another unverified positive report on Kingston cards as well.

Brad Hurley

PostMon Feb 18, 2019 4:18 pm

It'll be interesting to see if BMD comes out with new Video Assist models that can record to SSDs, or a new incarnation of the Hyperdeck Shuttle that can do the same. If the SD card issue doesn't get resolved, this may be the only long-term option for the original BMPCC and the BM Micro Cinema Camera. Probably the best current solution is the Video Devices Pix-E monitor/recorder; it costs about as much as the camera though.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography