"No Card" Issue BMPCC

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

rick.lang

Re: "No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 6:28 pm

Good detective work, but I think I’ll stay with Wise cards that are tested on their cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

John Paines

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 11:15 pm

Bestbuy just shipped me a 64gb Extreme Pro SD card which is compatible with the BMPCC (and the BMPCC 4k). This is a v30 card with an "ANCIN" designation and ending with the same 860G serial number as pictured above. Same packaging as well, with the card in a bubble on the cardboard base, which is unlike the most recent release of the 64Gb card, where it's inside a box.

So for now at least, there is a source, at least for this size, while the supply lasts....

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

John Paines

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

Denny, I don't know whether I should bother to respond to you at this point. Go back and read this thread. Only one person here declared that the v30 cards were, universally, the bad ones. Any guesses who it was?

Denny Smith wrote:If the card has the V30 symbol, they are not working on the original Pocket camera as a result of a firmware update to these newer cards.
Cheers

If you need another hint, it's the same person who, in a thread devoted to hard information -- what works and what doesn't -- insisted on instructing the readership on matters not at issue and who made claims unsupported by the known facts. How about a little restraint, when you're not well informed? Contributions which are flat out wrong are hard to ignore.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 11:17 pm

:)
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Matthew Champagne

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 12:08 am

I'm a new (original) Pocket Camera user (it just arrived today!!!) and was distraught to find my brand new 256GB Extreme Pro card unrecognizable to the camera. Please, Blackmagic Design, is there not some software fix for this? Everyone else, are there any U.S. sources for new working cards?

Thanks,
Matt
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X; Gigabyte B450M DS3H; PowerColor Radeon Vega 56 8gb; 64gb RAM.

Marc Duchêne

Re: Re:

PostSat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 am

Denny Smith wrote:Marc Duchêne, Looks like you got a card from the known “not working” batch. I would return it for a refund or a card with a different batch number (the number on the back of the card starting with B).
See below:

Kristian Lam wrote:
John Paines wrote:This serial number failed:
BN1827651838G
It may be possible to tell from information available on the packaging. Am still investigating. Online shopping could be difficult, however, since the product pictures and the product codes are often dated, they don't reflect what actually gets shipped out.

Yes. I’ve read that the cards ending 838G are having issues with other cameras too. We’ve made Sandisk aware of this.

Cheers

Thank you for your help. So I followed your advice, I returned the card to receive a new one ... which has exactly the same serial number and does not work anymore. Bad luck. Can we hope for another solution?
Thank you.
Marc

vanschr

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 7:37 am

Just as a reference we are now having the same problem in South Africa. Probably tried 5 cards i will forward this thread to the local Sandisk rep.

My initial post here.

Hi All

I recently purchased a BMPCC, Micro and V5" BM Video assist. Hugely excited about filming in RAW i headed off to a registered SanDisk reseller to purchase the recommended SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS 1 SDXC 95MB/s V30 cards.

To my horror none of them were recognised in any of the gear. I updated firmware and even exchanged the cards with no luck. (Format option doesnt show up either) I then went to a friend's house with BM gear and tested the cards in his BM gear and also no luck. Tried my friend's 128MB Extreme Pro 95 cards in my gear and worked perfectly. (My friend's bought theirs about a year ago.)

Eventually phoned the SanDisk distributor and tried 2 more brand new cards....Even 64GB ones. Nothing worked. Tried formatting Exfat...even tried MAC format...nothing worked.

Tried Sony and Lexar UHCII's and I's, worked first time.

It's evident that Sandisk changed something on their Card Firmware.

Kind Regards
Rudi van Schalkwyk

John Paines

Re: Re:

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Marc Duchêne wrote:I returned the card to receive a new one ... which has exactly the same serial number and does not work anymore. Bad luck. Can we hope for another solution?Marc

If you can find packaging that looks like this, for the 64gb card:

sd1.JPG
sd1.JPG (59.79 KiB) Viewed 111432 times

you'll probably get a working card. What you don't want is the new package, where the card isn't recessed into the cardbox, but is inside the box. Note, however, that this same packaging doesn't guarantee compatibility in other sizes.

I've also heard, but haven't verified, that all versions of the 32gb card continue to work. You might also want to try Sony SD cards, which are reported to work in the BMPCC and other devices where the new Sandisk cards fail.

vanschr

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 4:29 pm

If you can find packaging that looks like this, for the 64gb card:

Thanks John...now to try and hunt down somebody's old stock!!

rick.lang

"No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Why the fixation on Sandisk with their track record of improvement to their firmware that no longer work with BMD cameras? I’ve no plans to go with them at anytime.

Go with Angelbird or Wise (that tests their cards with a BMD camera). Or others...

Last edited by rick.lang on Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Lang

John Paines

Re:

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 11:05 pm

rick.lang wrote:Why the fixation on Sandisk with their track record of improvement to their firmware that no longer work with BMD cameras? I’ve no plans to go with them at anytime.

Go with Angelbird or Wise (that tests their cards with a BMD camera). Or others...

Maybe because neither Angelbird nor Wise is known to be compatible with the BMPCC, and they're 5x the cost of the Sandisk's we're talking about, which have worked reliably for years, until very recently....

OTOH, since you're not shooting with the BMPCC, I can understand that cards qualified for that camera wouldn't be of interest and you'd have no plans to use them.

This place gets wackier by the day, no?

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 5:14 am

Good point, John; I saw BMPCC but when I posted today I was thinking BMPCC4K! My mind is a bit preoccupied with a few other things.

Rick Lang

Gregor Myller

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 6:14 pm

Hello.

I got the BMPCC (1080p) version used and was using a 32 GB Sandisk Extreme quite happily and also thought about buying two 128 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. Failure.

I bought the following two cards at Saturn in Germany:

On the back of both cards: BP1825951766G

On both packages:
MFG#: SDSDXXG-128-GN4IN
UPC code: 6 19659 14767 9
And the number below the UOC code: 80-56-17339-128G

As mentioned, both cards do not work with firmware 2.1 on the BMPCC.

Saturn might be able to take them back and I look for those compatible older cards. For now I have a 32 GB card that works.
M1 Max MacBook Pro
FCP and DVR

John_Lynch

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 12:11 pm

Not sure how helpful the following info is, but I too have collided headfirst with the "No Card" issue with the 5" BMVA on a pair of new 128GB Sandisk Extreme's in the last week or so. I have used lots of other Sandisk cards with the unit without issue before now. Before seeing this thread, thinking they might just be faulty I registered them for a return and bought 2 x ExtremePros to replace them. Just received them and tried the first one and that's sadly giving me "no card" as well.

For what it's worth I have an Extreme with V30 branding (bought November 2017) that works absolutely fine, and two identically branded cards that show no card. As with others here, they work on every other device I've tried, including a new Hyperdeck Studio Mini. Picture attached.

Problem-cards.jpg
Problem-cards.jpg (583.66 KiB) Viewed 111307 times

For those collating the info the codes are as follows:

WORKING:
Sandisk Extreme v30 128GB Card (Bought Nov 17): BP1724950822G

NOT WORKING:
2 x Sandisk Extreme v30 128GB (Nov 18): both BP1826151762G
2 x Sandisk ExtremePRO v30 128GB (Nov 18): BP1828251766G (box code ending GN4IN)

Sadly I don't have the packaging codes to check on the two gold cards or the working one. All of these cards were bought direct from Amazon in UK, so the original supplier is anyone's guess.

Obviously in the perfect world we would only ever buy proven cards from recommended retailers, but time and availability in a working shooting environment don't always allow this luxury. And whilst it's unclear what is at fault here, I must say this is the latest in several incidents that is making me think twice about Sandisk Products (same job I realised these cards wouldn't work in the BMVA I had a 480GB Extreme Pro SSD just fail also).

Similarly, whilst I'm sure a potential fix for this isn't totally in Blackmagic's control... this thread proves there's an issue and I would love to see them come and make a public statement about it. I imagine if this issue were to crop up with with same (hugely popular) cards the new BMPCC4K there would be a lot of angry vloggers out there!

Will follow this thread for updates, but my cards are going back to Amazon.

vanschr

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 3:05 pm

This is hugely frustrating as the Sandisk Extreme PRO 95 hits the sweet spot for price and RAW functionality. Is it THAT difficult for Blackmagic to just have one of their engineers look at it and give us some sort of response. Alternatively remove all references from their manuals as they recommend this card!!!

Anyone on this forum that represents the user community that has the ear of Blackmagic?

BTW i messaged Sandisk and got a generic reply 2 weeks later with a copy and paste article of being mindful of buying only from registered dealers as there are counterfeit units out there...Like really Sandisk...is that the best you can do!!!

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 4:22 pm

vanschr wrote:This is hugely frustrating as the Sandisk Extreme PRO 95 hits the sweet spot for price and RAW functionality. Is it THAT difficult for Blackmagic to just have one of their engineers look at it and give us some sort of response. Alternatively remove all references from their manuals as they recommend this card!!!

Anyone on this forum that represents the user community that has the ear of Blackmagic?

BTW i messaged Sandisk and got a generic reply 2 weeks later with a copy and paste article of being mindful of buying only from registered dealers as there are counterfeit units out there...Like really Sandisk...is that the best you can do!!!

It is frustrating. As has been mentioned, the SD card list for the BMPCC dates to March 2015 and only includes SanDisk cards (and only SanDisk Extreme Pro for CDNG Raw). You would think an ideal summer intern task would be to keep that list current. Heck, I'll drive to Fremont on a Friday and volunteer to test if they can provide the materials and test procedures.

The SD card list for the Video Assist products dates to June, 2017 and is heavily SanDisk UHS-I, especially for the original VA (again, as has been noted already in previous posts).

Both lists specify UHS-I with the VA list specifically saying to only use UHS-I. And these lists reference specific part numbers which must have disappeared from the market long ago.

I know BMD have a lot of products but stuff like this would seem to require minimal resources to deliver a disproportionately higher return on customer satisfaction.

Unless the answer is "the only cards that use to work are no longer being made and you're basically out of luck". I guess that would be a hard thing to admit.

But if the answer is "buy expensive UHS-II cards", it would nice to at least have the official lists reflect that information. How hard would that be to do?
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

James David

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 6:06 pm

Add me to the list on the Micro cinema camera,

Bought one Extreme pro 128Gb and it's replacement from amazon... both show "no card" here in the UK.

Steve Holmlund

PostFri Nov 30, 2018 9:39 pm

I don't think this has been posted yet; apologies if it has been. It references the issue for Sony users (dated Oct. 6, 2018).

https://briansmith.com/sony-a7-iii-warn ... ory-cards/

Note the reference to Sony UHS-1 cards with specs (95MB/s) comparable to SanDisk Extreme Pro. (Sony SF-UZ Series UHS-I SD Memory Cards: 32GB, 64GB, 128GB, 256GB)

I did a quick check at B&H and these appear to be about twice as expensive as the SanDisk Extreme Pro alternatives but given that prices have fallen the last couple of years, are not prohibitively expensive if you have no other choice.

Of course, I have not seen confirmation that these Sony cards are compatible with the BMPCC and/or VA, certainly not from BMD. Does anyone use the Sony cards?

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostSun Dec 02, 2018 2:59 am

A UHS II Card is not going to give you the full write speed in a UHSI device, like the original Pocket or Video Assist. A UHS I Card/interface uses one slot. The UHSII cards uses two slots to get their faster read/write speeds, and you only get the performance for video when you have the UHSII interface for a UHSII SD card, found in the VA4K and the newer BM cameras, like the new Pocket 4K. You can use a UHSII card in an older UHSI device, but you will not get the performance required to record video that requires the 95Mbs write speeds.

I have two newish old stock (pre V30/60) SanDisk Extreme Pro UHSI SD cards that do work in the original Pocket, Micro Cinema and Video Assist 5-inch units, available if anyone wants to buy them. I sold my BM equipment I used them with (Pocket and Micro Cinema camera/VA). They were used for two jobs I bought them to be used for, and have low hours/use. Recorded to twice and read from twice only, PM me for details/offers.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

vanschr

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:49 pm

Recorded to twice and read from twice only, PM me for details/offers.

Denny I think you can name your price lol! There's going to be a fist fight over your cards.

vanschr

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 4:52 pm

It is frustrating. As has been mentioned, the SD card list for the BMPCC dates to March 2015 and only includes SanDisk cards (and only SanDisk Extreme Pro for CDNG Raw). You would think an ideal summer intern task would be to keep that list current. Heck, I'll drive to Fremont on a Friday and volunteer to test if they can provide the materials and test procedures.

The SD card list for the Video Assist products dates to June, 2017 and is heavily SanDisk UHS-I, especially for the original VA (again, as has been noted already in previous posts).

Both lists specify UHS-I with the VA list specifically saying to only use UHS-I. And these lists reference specific part numbers which must have disappeared from the market long ago.

I know BMD have a lot of products but stuff like this would seem to require minimal resources to deliver a disproportionately higher return on customer satisfaction.

Unless the answer is "the only cards that use to work are no longer being made and you're basically out of luck". I guess that would be a hard thing to admit.

But if the answer is "buy expensive UHS-II cards", it would nice to at least have the official lists reflect that information. How hard would that be to do?

I couldn't have said it better myself!! How about we start spamming the BlackMagic Facebook page.

vanschr

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 5:05 pm

#181204-000138 Case logged with Sandisk. Lets see what response they give this time.

In the mean time Sandisk had this response to the Sony complaints!

Firstly, they said this:

“We have discovered that certain host devices may not currently work with your SanDisk SD card. SanDisk cards are constantly updated and optimized. We are committed to the best quality products for our customers and since it was recently purchased from Amazon, I would suggest you to contact Amazon and return it.”

They seem to be indicating that the cameras are at fault and not the cards, but from this thread, we have ascertained that the cards are the issue. They then go on to say:

“As per the latest update, there is an updated controller in our SD cards where we are facing issue in some host devices. However, we cannot provide you a timeline on when it will be resolved. For time being, we would recommend UHS-II card for better performance.” "and 5 times the price!!!!

So, unfortunately, for my a7iii I will be avoiding SanDisk cards, at least when it comes to the higher capacity/speed cards, which are an absolute must when it comes to 4k video.

rick.lang

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Reading between the lines, let me paraphrase Sandisk:

‘We are constantly improving our products based achieving superior results on popular benchmarks using them as intended in computers and some consumer still photo cameras... We have found our improved data controllers may have incompatibilities with some vendors of equipment that is not our bread and butter business... We hope we can eventually improve the cards for those who successfully used our previous data controllers but any idiot can understand the sun doesn’t rise in the west and it’s never going to be our priority to make that happen since you already have other options... Love, Sandisk.’

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 pm

Yes, well put a Rick, but a UHSII Card is not likely going to,work either in the BM UHS1 Camera/recorder, like the Pocket, Micro and VA, where you needmthr 95Mps Speed.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:46 pm

Denny Smith wrote:A UHS II Card is not going to give you the full write speed in a UHSI device, like the original Pocket or Video Assist. A UHS I Card/interface uses one slot. The UHSII cards uses two slots to get their faster read/write speeds, and you only get the performance for video when you have the UHSII interface for a UHSII SD card, found in the VA4K and the newer BM cameras, like the new Pocket 4K. You can use a UHSII card in an older UHSI device, but you will not get the performance required to record video that requires the 95Mbs write speeds.

I have two newish old stock (pre V30/60) SanDisk Extreme Pro UHSI SD cards that do work in the original Pocket, Micro Cinema and Video Assist 5-inch units, available if anyone wants to buy them. I sold my BM equipment I used them with (Pocket and Micro Cinema camera/VA). They were used for two jobs I bought them to be used for, and have low hours/use. Recorded to twice and read from twice only, PM me for details/offers.

Denny,
Thanks for clarifying this. All the more reason for the compatibility list to be kept current, as a casual review of the product specs don't highlight these caveats for the general buyer.

Supposedly the UHS-II performance degrades to equivalent UHS-I speeds in non-UHS-II card readers, based on the card's rating. If that's true, then, for example, this card:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _card.html

should work at 90 to 95MB/s because it supports U3 and Class 10 standards.

But of course "should" and "do" aren't always the same thing.

Steve
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist

Denny Smith

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Yes, I remember last year, there was a problem using UHSII cards on the VA 5-inch and Micro Cinema Camera, droping frames, because they could not keep up.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

vanschr

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 9:35 am

We are constantly improving our products based achieving superior results on popular benchmarks using them as intended in computers and some consumer still photo cameras... We have found our improved data controllers may have incompatibilities with some vendors of equipment that is not our bread and butter business... We hope we can eventually improve the cards for those who successfully used our previous data controllers but any idiot can understand the sun doesn’t rise in the west and it’s never going to be our priority to make that happen since you already have other options... Love, Sandisk.’

HAHAHA and dont forget the LOVE!

James David

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 5:03 pm

as per someone else recommendation i can confimr that -

Samsung MB-MC128GA/AMZ 128 GB 100 MB/s Class 10 U3 Memory Evo Plus MicroSD card with Adapter

is working in the Micro camera Recording RAW. just did 6 minitue test... All looks good so far.

arabadzhiyski

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 10:22 am

PNY Elite Performance SDXC Flash Memory Card 64GB Class 10 UHS-1 U3 works for RAW recording on BMPCC, too.

John Paines

PostMon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 pm

James David wrote:as per someone else recommendation i can confimr that -

Samsung MB-MC128GA/AMZ 128 GB 100 MB/s Class 10 U3 Memory Evo Plus MicroSD card with Adapter

is working in the Micro camera Recording RAW. just did 6 minitue test... All looks good so far.

This card does NOT work in the BMPCC. It's recognized, but camera function is erratic. It does work in the BMPCC 4K, for HD and for limited run times in UHD and 4K @23.976.

ephraim

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Wish I'd seen this thread before I purchased the cards. I read the list of "approved cards" from blackmagics web site and purchased the cards listed there from BHphoto. Three cards. (SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB)

one card recieved (serial #-0860G) works. Two cards (serial # -1839Z) do not work.

All three cards work in every other device I have including a Canon 5DmkIV and a Canon 7D (in a CF adapter).

How is it that Canon can produce a camera two years ago that works with SanDisks made today, but BM can't produce a video Assist that works with them this year?
Centos 7.3, Intel Core i7 (7th gen), Nvidia GeForce GTx 1070 ti -> Dual HD monitors, DeckLink Mini Monitor -> 4k Monitor, 512GB SSD for OS, 4TB working drive, 100TB network storage Raid array, Resolve Studio 14.3, Fusion 9 Studio.

bdoug399

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 2:31 pm

Three of the 128GB cards ending in 1766G are all a no go on our Micro Cinema Camera.

Emagine

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Just adding my frustrations to this post with SD Card media in my Video Assist 4k.

I have, in the last 7 days, purchased my VA4k and so I'm stocking up on media. So far the 2x 256GB SanDisk Extreme Pro V30s don't get recognised, neither the subsequent 2x Lexar Professional 64GB V90 2000x.

I have had to dig around for some older SanDisk Extreme Pro cards from my other rigs to get the VA4k to work.

Surely a firmware update from BMD will allow these newer cards to work? No that its not just Sandisk, but also Lexar cards that are showing the issue?

Denny Smith

PostTue Dec 11, 2018 6:42 pm

From what BM has said, and my understanding of the issue, Firmware in the camera is not going to control how the memory cells and FW in the SD card works. This is a complicated issue, with no simple solution. BM uses high data rate recording codecs, consumer type similar cameras use higher compressed lower data rate codecs, these new cards can suport. That is the main difference in a nutshell, SanDisk and other card makers are going with supporting the larger market share in these the last day of UHS1 SD cards that have been replaced by UHS2 cards and interfaces.

When BM developed these devices, SanDisk and a few other cards supported this recording system. Making production of the original Pocket, and the Video Assist HD possible. Now the newer UHS2 interface is being used in these lower cost systems, which at the start had very limited SD card choices that worked. Now the situation has flipped/flopped.

I saw this coming and sold my VA HD when the new 4K version was released. I got the PixE instead, which has better media support so far. But it is time to stock up on a few backup media cards to carry me over until the next recording system comes out.

Nothing is forever, things change... :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ShaneinSpain

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 am

I'm a newbie to using the BMPCC in Spain. I find that my pocket cine can't read any new Sandisk cards at all, but my 6 years old Nikon of similar age can read them all. How is it that the Nikon card reader dating from 2012 can read all of the cards rejected by the BMPCC? I contacted Blackmagic support in the UK who informed me that a firmware update is being prepared to overcome this. They recommended that I should only purchase cards beginning with SDSDXP - I bought a 128GB card beginning with that lettering and it didn't work! I find that newer Sony cards are working fine though.

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Interesting, BM USA is saying the opposite, recommending those with this issue contact SanDisk directly.
Good to know the new Sony cards are working. Thanks for the update.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Denny Smith

PostWed Dec 12, 2018 11:00 pm

Well folks, looks like SanDisk is releasing a new SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card. B&H lists it as coming soon, details:

Designed for SD devices that can capture Full HD, 3D, and 4K video, as well as raw and burst photography, the 128GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC Memory Card from SanDisk has a capacity of 128GB, is compatible with the UHS-I bus, and features a speed class rating of V30, which guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. If your device does not support the V30 standard, this card also supports the U3 standard, which likewise guarantees minimum write speeds of 30 MB/s. Read speeds are supported up to 170 MB/s and write speeds max out at 90 MB/s. This card has been designed for cameras that are UHS-I / V30 / U3 compatible...

Since the BMPCC, Micro Camera and Video Assis 5-inch HD are U3 compatible devices, these new cards may do the trick. Coming in 64GB also. Here’s hope that they will work.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ShaneinSpain

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 am

Denny, can you post a link to that new 128GB card that might work with the BMPCC?

sabaugh

PostFri Dec 14, 2018 8:34 pm

ShaneinSpain wrote:Denny, can you post a link to that new 128GB card that might work with the BMPCC?

Model SDSDXXY-128G-ANCIN from B&H:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _card.html

Denny Smith

PostSat Dec 15, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks Seth, yes, that is the one. But until it is released and tested, we will not know for sure if this will be the fix from SanDisk, I am assuming it is. :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

livetheshot

PostThu Dec 20, 2018 3:32 am

Hoping the new batch of cards do work.
I bought this back in August/September and it worked fine.

I had to return the latest cards I bought earlier this month. I didn’t get the serial/batch numbers.

Valery Axenov

PostSun Dec 23, 2018 10:50 pm

JoshuOne Barnes wrote:
Kristian Lam wrote: Does anyone here know if it is possible to downgrade the firmware on the v30 cards if that is what is causing the issue? Thanks
JoshuOne Barnes

Are there any solution or recommendations finally from BM in respect of SD v30 cards? "That is the question."

It is definitely a software problem ( something like "time run error" ). This type of cards takes appr. twice longer time to get "ready" symbol on the camera (in compare to old not v30 cards).

One of my cards is an early SD Extreme Pro 64GBSDXC_V30_3_10. BN1729750860G (Registered via SD with 2048 warranty exp.date)
So this card is recognized by BMPCC in 99%. Sometimes it is not recognized and I need to switch on/off the camera several times to get the card to be "ready". No (Raw) drop frames issues.

Sandeep Gill

PostTue Dec 25, 2018 9:31 pm

I noticed this in the official Supported Card FAQ:

Image">

Could this be the issue with the cards you're seeing?

FAQ: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/faq/43083

StMond

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 11:19 am

No, this doesn't seem to be the case.
I have 3 SDSDXXG 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (bought on October and November 2018) and all of them are recognizable and fully functional in BMPCC.

John Paines

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 2:49 pm

The prefix alone won't tell you. You need the full product code, but it's not consistent across the product line: the suffix which works for one size (e.g., ANCIN) won't work on another gb size.

The full product code for the last working 64gb card has been provided in other threads, and it looks like Stmond can provide the code for the working 128 gb.

Or try the equivalent Sony cards. Or any 32GB Extreme Pro card. Or wait for the new ones.

rick.lang

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Or swim against the current and give Wise Portable SSD and their CFast2 and SDXC cards a go. They’ll do the job.

Rick Lang

John Paines

PostWed Dec 26, 2018 5:39 pm

Rick, you're confused. This is for the BMPCC/Micro, not P4K. For those who wants to use the Extreme Pro in the P4K, any and all Extreme Pro cards work, up to their maximum data rate.

rick.lang

"No Card" Issue BMPCC

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 4:19 am

Darn, thanks, John! I’ve got BMPCC4K on my mind everywhere I look!

Rick Lang

vanschr

PostThu Dec 27, 2018 7:31 am

Sandisk changed the controller on the 95Mb/s cards and they will never again work on BMPCC or Micro or 5" VA.

We have to now focus on the new 170Mb/s cards just released and just hope they work with above.
sandisk.PNG
sandisk.PNG (299.51 KiB) Viewed 102332 times
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography