BMPCC4K MFT Lens Compatibility

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

jimyiapanis

BMPCC4K MFT Lens Compatibility

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 8:51 am

Any BMPCC4K owners experienced problems using non-cine MFT lenses?

My manual SLR Magic 25mm cine lens is working fine as it should.

My Panasonic LEICA DG SUMMILUX Lens, 15mm, F1.7 ASPH however is not functioning. Doesn’t talk to the camera nor does it work in manual mode (aperture and focus rings do nothing).

Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

Re: BMPCC4K MFT Lens Compatibility

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:21 am

It’s strange...
I was just about to buy this lens for BMPCC4K...
along with Panasonic Lumix G 42.5 mm f/1.7 ASPH. POWER O.I.S.
Now I’m confused...
Jacek Szwarc-Bronikowski

Brad Hurley

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am

That could be a defective camera. When I bought my original BMPCC, the iris and focus buttons didn't work with my Panasonic 12-35 zoom and I had to send it back for repair.

If there's a camera shop near you, see if you can try a few lenses that have been demonstrated to work with the Pocket 4K (e.g., the Panasonic 12-35mm just mentioned, or any of the Olympus Pro lenses). If those don't work, you have a defective camera.

It is of course also possible that your lens is defective; have you tried it in another camera?

When I was having my problems with the original BMPCC, I brought my Panasonic lens to the camera store and they tried it in another MFT-mount camera; it worked fine. And we tried a number of lenses in my Pocket camera. That's how we determined that the camera was defective.
Resolve 18 Studio, Mac Pro 3.0 GHz 8-core, 32 gigs RAM, dual AMD D700 GPU.
Audio I/O: Sound Devices USBPre-2

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Jim, sounds like the lens is not communicating with the camera. Check the lens contacts for any damage, and clean if necessary. Then mount the lens and make sure it clicks firmly in place, you should hear and feel the click. Then see if the camera focus button will focus the lens (lens switch set to AF). Also, check the iris control wheel to see if it will change iris f/stop.

If all this is working, lens is working. As to the f/stop ring on the lens, this does Not work with BM or Olympus Camera bodies, it only works on a few Panasonic cameras, like the GH4/5.

The focus ring, however should work. Try turning it slowly to see if the focus changes, also you may need to switch the lens control to MF on the side of the lens to get eye focus ring to work.

This lens behaves differently on different cameras, I use it with my Olympus Pen F, and I can use manual focus regardless of the lens AF/MF setting, however on a Panasonic camera, it needs to be switched, as it does on BM cameras. I have used this lens on the original Pocket camera, and both Micro cameras, without any issues.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jimyiapanis

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:40 am

Just completed some troubleshooting at the retailer. I can confirm it’s an issue with supportability of that lens. Ticket has been logged with BM.

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 09, 2018 5:07 pm

If it Is not being compatible, perhaps Panasonic is going to need a FW update release for the lens, so log your request with Panny. BM uses the current MFT protocol standard, and since the Panny Leica 15mm is an older lens, you can check the Panasonic website to see what the latest FW ver. is posted, and check your lens, you will need a Panasonic or Olympus Camera body to,check and update the FW. Perhaps your camera store dealer can help.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jimyiapanis

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:51 am

Denny Smith wrote:Panasonic is going to need a FW update release for the lens, so log your request with Panny.

Lens is working fine on GH4 and there are no firmware updates for the lens. What makes you think it's a firmware update by Panasonic that is required and not by BMD?

(If anyone has the LEICA DG SUMMILUX Lens, 15mm, F1.7 and BMPCC4K, I'd love to hear from you)

vgs2003

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 9:26 pm

The 15mm F1.7 does work 100% fine on my BMPCC4K! Just made a short test for you all today. Manual focus and Autofocus, Aperture, etc.

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 13, 2018 5:51 am

Jimmy, just going by past issues with the original Pocket camera and some Panasonic lenses, that was solved by a lens FW update. The new BM Camera should have the latest MFT lens control standard already applied. You could halos have a bad camera. Can yiu get another MFT active auto lens to test the camera? Yiu might also,want to contact BM Support directly for additional help, if it is a camera issue.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jimyiapanis

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 am

Denny Smith wrote:Jimmy, just going by past issues with the original Pocket camera and some Panasonic lenses, that was solved by a lens FW update. The new BM Camera should have the latest MFT lens control standard already applied. You could halos have a bad camera. Can yiu get another MFT active auto lens to test the camera? Yiu might also,want to contact BM Support directly for additional help, if it is a camera issue.
Cheers

As per my post above, I have done troubleshooting at the retailer (which includes testing other lenses) and ticket has been logged with BMD support (Lens firmware is also up to date). From reading other posts it seems to me there are inconsistencies with active lenses.

jimyiapanis

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:16 am

vgs2003 wrote:The 15mm F1.7 does work 100% fine on my BMPCC4K! Just made a short test for you all today. Manual focus and Autofocus, Aperture, etc.

Thanks for this.

Christopher Cox

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:18 am

jimyiapanis wrote:
vgs2003 wrote:The 15mm F1.7 does work 100% fine on my BMPCC4K! Just made a short test for you all today. Manual focus and Autofocus, Aperture, etc.

Thanks for this.

Where can we see that test?
And barrel distortion? Did you test for that as well?
Wielding a Pocket Cinema Camera from a wheelchair.

jimyiapanis

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 11:55 am

For anyone coming to this thread, this ended up being a problem with my specific camera which ended up being replaced by BMD.

The lens works fine with the replacement - aperture controlled by front wheel and both manual and auto focus working fine.

Denny Smith

PostThu Oct 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Interesting, the lens iris ring works! This is a first on a non Panasonic body, thanks for the update.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jimyiapanis

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 12:42 am

To clarify, the lens iris ring does not work only focus. The iris is controlled by the wheel on the camera.

Denny Smith

PostSat Oct 27, 2018 5:44 am

Yes Ray, they were using a new Oly Pro lens for that demo. Should get the same
Results with a Panny Leics lens too, very quick focus motors in these guys.

I didn’t think the Iris control was going to work Jim. That said, the iris control ring on my F/T Panny Leica 14-50 Zoom does work on the AF100 in manual exposure mode. They key to get this to work, is the camera needs a manual, exposure setting, set to manual before the Oris ring works even on a Oanny body, and not all Panny bodies can do this either.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography