Autofocus with EF Lenses?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

skimmel

Autofocus with EF Lenses?

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 3:22 pm

I've seen some mention that, along with supporting image stabilization, future firmware updates will support autofocus with Canon EF lenses.

Has this been confirmed? I ask because this is a key factor in thinking about the EF vs. MFT mount versions. Having both image stabilization and autofocus capability could sway me towards the EF mount. (I realize that autofocus will be seldomly used, but for what I shoot I find an occasional ability to use autofocus to at least get close to focusing is a life saver).

Thanks.

DavidSimmons

Re: Autofocus with EF Lenses?

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 7:39 pm

I would also like to know. This will be very important to me for the types of things I will be shooting.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Everything about future firmware updates for the BMCC is unlikley to be "confirmed" until, and if, they are published. That's how most companies approach the topic of firmware updates.

BMD has said that their goal is to eventually implement various features via firmware update(s), but goals are not guarantees. You're unlikely to get an absolutely firm commitment on most firmware features before the fact, and there's always a possibility there might not be any firmware update(s).

I'm not saying it doesn't hurt to ask, but instead, what matters is what actually happens. Don't make purchase plans for any product based on "hopes" or "promises". Buy a product if what it actually does is what you want or need, and at a price you want to pay.

Meanwhile, BMCC feature requests can be posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=265

skimmel

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Good idea. I just posted in the wish list. Thanks.

Return to Cinematography