BMPCC 4k issues

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Re: BMPCC 4k issues

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 5:19 pm

I plugged in the dc power and could not remove it. I was not aware of the locking mechanism, and in a panic I yanked the cord hard a few times. I eventulally realized all i had to do was pull back the mechanism, but now the DC power isnt working. I may have broken the cable, but I fear that there might be something wrong with the port itself. Any thoughts?

rick.lang

BMPCC 4k issues

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:11 pm

Your vendor may be able to order another cable or power adapter so that would be the easiest way to find out, unless you know someone with the adapter/cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

AliouDIA

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:51 pm

After updating to the last update I did not experienced any issue with the T5.
One thing I have noticed its better to remove any sd card from the pocket while the ssd is plugged in.
I've done 3 days shoot for a video clip.
We have 2 bmpcc4k and each on had a T5 and not a single issue.
Mine is formatted XFAT. Hope it's helps.

Swissified

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:29 am

220108 wrote:I plugged in the dc power and could not remove it. I was not aware of the locking mechanism, and in a panic I yanked the cord hard a few times. I eventulally realized all i had to do was pull back the mechanism, but now the DC power isnt working. I may have broken the cable, but I fear that there might be something wrong with the port itself. Any thoughts?

Oops that is an unfortunate mistake to happen. It is clear in the manuals and everywhere else though! I do hope that you used 'too little strength' and that you only damaged the cable and not the camera! I shudder to think how long BMD will take to repair the camera, when they still 1 year later have not fulfilled the pre-orders from the Nab 2018 announcement of the Pocket 4K.

GeneK_vlog

PostThu May 30, 2019 9:40 am

Hi. I received my BMPCC4K on Monday. I found out that it coudn`t recognize my Samsung T5 1TB drive. I tryed to format the drive many times. I tryed to plug it in before and after switching on the camera. I tryed to plug the SSD when there were SD card or CFAST card inside a camera. Nothing helped. On Tuesday I went to a rental company to check if it was disc or camera issue. I put my disc into a rental BMCC4K camera - and it recognized my disk immediately. Then I took rental ssd and pluged it on to my BMPCC4K. Nothing heppened. I also tryed to format my SSD with rental camera and then plug it into my camera. Nothing heppened again. So I think this is a camera problem. How can I resolve it? One thing I saw - rental camera firmware was 6.2. And mine is 6.2.1. I know now that it`s impossible to downgrade the firmware because my camera is new - with new screen and it can`t be downgradeable to 6.2. I wrote a ticket to techsupport [Support #JXU-389-46760] on Tuesday, but they didn`t answer yet.

Denny Smith

PostThu May 30, 2019 10:31 pm

Stephen, I think you will find that in most areas, the pre-orders from NAM have been filled, and many vendors now have the camera “in stock”. Their may be a few exceptions, but most of these are post NaB by at least 30-days, from what I have read. Rick ordered his camera well after the NAB announcement, so he is in a lower level que. Also, Canada vendors seem to be getting fewer cameras shipped, than most other areas.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 31, 2019 7:12 am

GeneK_vlog wrote:Hi. I received my BMPCC4K on Monday. I found out that it coudn`t recognize my Samsung T5 1TB drive. I tryed to format the drive many times. I tryed to plug it in before and after switching on the camera. I tryed to plug the SSD when there were SD card or CFAST card inside a camera. Nothing helped. On Tuesday I went to a rental company to check if it was disc or camera issue. I put my disc into a rental BMCC4K camera - and it recognized my disk immediately. Then I took rental ssd and pluged it on to my BMPCC4K. Nothing heppened. I also tryed to format my SSD with rental camera and then plug it into my camera. Nothing heppened again. So I think this is a camera problem. How can I resolve it? One thing I saw - rental camera firmware was 6.2. And mine is 6.2.1. I know now that it`s impossible to downgrade the firmware because my camera is new - with new screen and it can`t be downgradeable to 6.2. I wrote a ticket to techsupport [Support #JXU-389-46760] on Tuesday, but they didn`t answer yet.

Eugene, I would try this: from support page download latest firmware installer, install it and then connect the camera to your computer. Start the updater software and see if it recognizes the camera. If it doesn't see the camera it is very likely that your camera has a faulty USB-C port.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Chris Whitten

PostFri May 31, 2019 7:46 am

Just to repeat FWIW. I bought the Wise SSD (for the pocket 4k) when I bought my camera. It has worked perfectly from day one. The camera always sees it, so does my computer.
Chris Whitten

GeneK_vlog

PostFri May 31, 2019 9:20 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Eugene, I would try this: from support page download latest firmware installer, install it and then connect the camera to your computer. Start the updater software and see if it recognizes the camera. If it doesn't see the camera it is very likely that your camera has a faulty USB-C port.

Did that. My PC can see the camera. USB port is working.

Robert Niessner

PostFri May 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Question is, does your PC see the camera over USB-2.0 or USB-3.x
Because the USB-C can carry both. Could you check this in the device manager?
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

GeneK_vlog

PostSat Jun 01, 2019 9:27 am

Robert Niessner wrote:Question is, does your PC see the camera over USB-2.0 or USB-3.x
Because the USB-C can carry both. Could you check this in the device manager?

I connected my camera to all types of USB - USB 2.0, USB 3.0, TYPE C - everything works, my PC can see it throught any usb port. But SSD connection doesn`t work at all. Techsupport reach me today with an RMA form. :cry:

lstation

PostSat Jun 15, 2019 8:35 am

For anyone who may be experiencing USB C connectivity issues while using an SSD drive, I may unfortunately discovered part of the issue. After using the included cables with my 500GB Samsung T5 SSD drives, I started having issues with the camera recognizing the SSD Drives. I assumed the cables went bad, so I purchased an additional high speed USB C cable, and that worked temporarily. Then I returned the cable and purchased 2 new high speed USB C cables. Today the camera would not recognize the SSD drives, so I went to a local store and purchased SD cards so that I could save the shoot. After returning home from filming I decided to take a closer look at the issue only to discover that my USB C port was no longer flush with the body of the camera and it was not attaching to the cable correctly. After a few tries to get it to work with normal plug in actions, the entire USB C port has broken off and is loose inside my camera. So the issue people are having may be related to weak solder points on the USB port itself. I really hate to send the camera back, but I am going to have to return it to Blackmagic for repair or replacement. I have never had an issue with Blackmagic hardware, so this is extremely disappointing. I thought that I would add my experience so that perhaps we can assist others. It's most likely not your cable, its the actual physical report.

Seglerundsurfer

PostFri Jun 21, 2019 4:10 pm

I connected a BmpCC 4k to a ssd Angelbird 2T. In 4k raw mode 5: 1 is only a recording of 2 seconds possible. Thereafter, the SSDDrive is no longer recognized. After a restart, it can be seen again. A recording in HD mode is possible. The USB-C cable has been replaced with a high quality cable without improvement. The SSD Drive has been reformatted several times, also without improvement. A recording in full resolution with saving on the Cfast is possible!
Has anyone made similar experience?
The Angelbird SSD2Go PKT XT is expressly recommended by BM.

lstation

PostWed Jun 26, 2019 1:31 am

Seglerundsurfer wrote:I connected a BmpCC 4k to a ssd Angelbird 2T. In 4k raw mode 5: 1 is only a recording of 2 seconds possible. Thereafter, the SSDDrive is no longer recognized. After a restart, it can be seen again. A recording in HD mode is possible. The USB-C cable has been replaced with a high quality cable without improvement. The SSD Drive has been reformatted several times, also without improvement. A recording in full resolution with saving on the Cfast is possible!
Has anyone made similar experience?
The Angelbird SSD2Go PKT XT is expressly recommended by BM.

YES!!!! I had the exact same sort of issue. Eventually my SSD drives stop being recognized. It started with the same problem most people reported where the SSD drive would not be recognized without restarting the camera by powering it on and off, then it went to randomly not being connected to the SSD drive while recording. Replaced USB cables several times with high speed cables and the connection issues still existed. This went on for months. Updated the firmware and it made absolutely no difference. Then the USB port broke off completely and now is loose inside the camera. Blackmagic has agreed to remedy the issue and the camera is being sent back. After all of the frustration of owning the camera for 6 months, I firmly believe that the first few runs of the cameras have poorly soldered USB C Port. Firmware updates can’t fix weak solder points. Also, the USB port is not designed well and should be reinforced like the mini XLR port, which is an oversight by Blackmagic Design.

It’s very possible that others will eventually run into completely dislodged or broken off USB C ports. Just think about it. How many USB devices have you used? How many of them have had constant connection issues? My answers more devices than I can count, and never had a bad USB port, or bad USB cable in all my years of tech experience. I think the root cause of the USB port issue globally is not which cables are used, which firmware is installed, but in fact poor solder connections to the cameras motherboard. I am more than happy to be a beta tester in the future as I work at a tv station, not a fanboy, and won’t just tell people what they want to hear, I would tell the truth as I experience it, good or bad.

spencer_moshian

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:04 am

I’m having the ssd issue with 2 1TB T5 drives. Camera was purchased a few weeks ago from Adorama. Latest fw. Was using the small rig holder and clamp and included Samsung cables. Trying new cables. I’ll try exfat after testing the cables.

spencer_moshian

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 am

Australian Image wrote:Do you format the SSDs in-camera before doing any recording? If not, when connected to a PC, the PC can affect the SSD (or any external memory card) and cause it not to be recognised afterwards (or other issues).

Yes I do format only in-camera.

spencer_moshian

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:54 am

I should add, I was filming a music festival over a weekend consisting of two ten hour shoot days with about ~150 clips recorded each day. Camera was powered via a v-mount battery and the official BM d-tap to power cable. I noticed the drive disconnect four times. Two different drives. Both 1TB T5s.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 am

Spencer, what a weekend. Wonderful the only issue didn’t derail you. Did you find anything in common when the T5 disconnected four times?

Rick Lang

spencer_moshian

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am

rick.lang wrote:Did you find anything in common when the T5 disconnected four times?

Thanks Rick! I didn't see anything yet. I have another festival this month and one next month where I'll be putting a lot of hours on the camera so hopefully I'll be able to figure it out over those shoots.
Australian Image wrote:I guess the next question is do you have the USB-C cable clamped at the camera end?

I was using the smallrig T5 holder but not using the smallrig HDMI + USB clamp (which I do own but decided not to use because I didn't think it would be needed). When the drive disconnected, I can't remember if it was after powering on the camera and then seeing the drive was not showing up, or if the camera was already on, I went to hit record, and then discovered the drive was not mounted. I do recall powering off, then back on, and still not seeing the drive. I then powered off, disconnected the cable from the camera, powered on and it was there. Further testing will reveal I guess. I'll also try wiggling the cable slightly to see if that affects the mount. I'll be gentle though given that a user in this thread had his usb-c port fall off the solder point.

rick.lang

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 3:49 pm

My Shape rig is coming in a day or two. It includes an HDMI clamp but I’m hoping there’s a way to secure the USB-C cable.

Rick Lang

rick.lang

PostSat Jul 13, 2019 12:35 am

I have my BMPCC4K rig put together and tested the WISE Portable 1TB SSD today. Found no issues recording at maximum frame rates for ProRes 422 HQ, BRAW 3:1, BRAW Q5, and BRAW Q0. A test may not be as representative as a real shoot though and my longest test was only two minutes. At this point looking good for all use cases. I’ll run longer tests and report back if I had an issue.

The problem with 1TB and 2TB recording media is the ease with which you can capture in the highest quality and resolution: the 5TB archive drive I bought recently is going to fill up very quickly. My RAID seriously needs a spring cleaning!

Rick Lang

akudrin

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Friends, problem with writing to BMPCC4k in BRAW.
CFAST2.0 Wise CFA-5120 512GB card

Drive in the list of valid cards in the BMD documentation.
ProRes writes in all modes, with any fps
braw only 25 fps (Q0, Q5, 3: 1, 5: 1, 12: 1)
In other fps modes (30, 50, 60 fps) recording stops after a second.
Formatted on a computer (win, mac), in the camera in all file systems.
There is no problem with 128gb cfast 2.0 Sandisk card

I have no idea, please help!
Firmware 6.2.1
p.s. On Ursa Mini, there are no problems with recording in cinemaDNG at maximum settings

Issue https://youtu.be/9y7yknHiaks

rick.lang

BMPCC 4k issues

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 4:22 am

You should get in touch with Wise-Advanced and let them know about your cards. It may be that your card needs to have a firmware update. They can tell you if that’s the problem. You will need to send your cards in to them though as the firmware’s not user updatable unfortunately.

The fastest Wide CFast 2 cards are the 256GB and new 1TB card I ordered last week. I’ll let you know how it performs in a couple of weeks. The fastest cards Write up to 450 MB/s, but the sustained Write is a little slower. The 512GB card Write speed is up to 350 MB/s.

Rick Lang

akudrin

PostTue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm

rick.lang wrote:You should get in touch with Wise-Advanced and let them know about your cards. It may be that your card needs to have a firmware update. They can tell you if that’s the problem. You will need to send your cards in to them though as the firmware’s not user updatable unfortunately.

The fastest Wide CFast 2 cards are the 256GB and new 1TB card I ordered last week. I’ll let you know how it performs in a couple of weeks. The fastest cards Write up to 450 MB/s, but the sustained Write is a little slower. The 512GB card Write speed is up to 350 MB/s.

It is strange that there are no problems on the Ursa mini.
Writes at a very high speed.
And in the bmpcc4k, too. Writes at maximum speed in prores.

Thank you very much!
I wrote in blackmagic and wise support.

Vchaffino

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 4:13 am

Anyone have an issue with the fan clicking really loud then seeming like it stopped working at all. I just recently had the issue but now the fan doesn't even blow when the camera is hot

rick.lang

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Call BMD Support or your vendor.

Rick Lang

Sami Sanpakkila

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 pm

I had issues with both the Samsung T5 and the Angelbird SSD and also their CFast cards. I can't say what caused the issues with the Samsung since I returned the drive to the store.

The Angelbird issue was actually with the SSD and the CFast cards firmware. I received new cards from Angelbird with new firmware (and USB cable) and this seems to have solved the issues for me.

There's a longer explanation in my Pocket 4K review here: https://samisanpakkila.com/2019/05/blac ... 4k-review/

But the Angelbird issues were with the SSD and the CFast firmware, not the camera. So contact Angelbird as well if you have issues with those.

JacobN

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 8:03 pm

[quote="rick.lang"]Robert (or any other electrical engineers here) could you comment on the dual NP-F970 that I had linked to previously which had the batteries in serial to provide 12VDC that I wanted to feed the 2-pin connector? I think that may have had a 3.0 amp limit, but not sure. Would that be an ideal solution?

I had wanted to initially run to the 2-pin connector from my 12VDC D-tap on my Cinegears 250Wh battery, but I’ll need to check the amp limit on that—I think it’s 3 amps but I can’t find anything that specifies the maximum amperage.

I found this thread because my camera has been shutting down mid-recording on me now on multiple shoots. I'm on the latest firmware version for the pcc4k. I quote this message because I am using an NP-F970 mounted to my Tilta cage with a 12v 2-pin tap plugged in. I've tried swapping both of my batteries but my device still crashes.

At first I thought it was from the heat, as this first came up on day 2 of a 3-day shoot during a heatwave in the high-30's Celcius. but now this has happened on two other occasions where I cannot blame heat as an excuse. I have no idea how to fix this and cannot afford to buy another unit outright.

Robert Niessner

PostThu Aug 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Jacob, do you have an LP-E6 type battery in the camera while using the NP-970 battery through the 12V input? BMD recommends not having the LP-E6 installed while using an external 12V battery supply.
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria

JacobN

PostSat Aug 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Robert Niessner wrote:Jacob, do you have an LP-E6 type battery in the camera while using the NP-970 battery through the 12V input? BMD recommends not having the LP-E6 installed while using an external 12V battery supply.

OH I had no idea. I have been using an LP-E6 at the same time. Do you know where they suggested this? I will definitely try again without the internal battery and see.

Australian Image wrote:
JacobN wrote:I quote this message because I am using an NP-F970 mounted to my Tilta cage with a 12v 2-pin tap plugged in. I've tried swapping both of my batteries but my device still crashes.

There is definitely an known issue when using an external battery like an NP-F to power the camera via the external power port and with a battery in the camera. It is not a problem when using a V-lock battery supplying 14.8V.

While not fully explained by Blackmagic, the theory is that two relatively similar batteries (similar voltage) creates conflict within the camera and that causes the shutdown. With a V-lock, the camera sees it as an AC power source (same 14.8V) and has no problems.

For this I don't see why the camera would recognize the 14.8v source as an external power while not reognizing a 12v source when the original charger itself is 12v, But i clearly don't understand enough about the power mechanisms involved here.
Previous

Return to Cinematography