Lumix Lens OIS "Not Working" with BMP4K ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

ted ramasola

Lumix Lens OIS "Not Working" with BMP4K ?

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:12 pm

Last Oct 4 I went to a BM event here in Texas to look and try out the BMP4K. I bought with me my GH4 and 12-35 f2.8 to try and test with. I placed my 12-35 lens onto the P4k and noticed that the OIS did not seem to have an effect, I let the BM guys there try it themselves and we compared it when attached to the GH4 which also does not have IBIS. The BM guys concurred that the images does seem to look stable when on the GH4 and not on the P4k.
I also asked Kriss Hampton with Wex Photo Video in the UK, who posted his review on the P4k, link below, since he also used same lens and he concured that "the OIS wasn't as effective as it usually is".
Could this be because its version 1 of the lens?
John Brawley mentioned in one of his forum posts that the Olympus 12-100 f4, which he used in the videos posted online, that the IS on the olympus works well on the P4k. So is this issue only with this particular Lumix lens? Can this be fixed with firmware?

Last edited by ted ramasola on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
System:
PC Windows Pro 10
i7 3.5ghz 32gig RAM
RTX 2070 super
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K

Denny Smith

Re: Lumix Lens OIS "Not Working" with BMP4K ?

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:18 pm

I would guess if it is an older ver 1, 12-35 it needs a firmware update, as this lens had similar issues with the original Pocket camera, and needed it FW updated. You need a Panny or Oly camera body to update the lens, perhaps your dealer can help you out with this. This is a older lens, and ver 2 has made some nice improvements on this, including improved focusing when using AF, and better edge sharpness and performance when used on non Panny cameras.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ted ramasola

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 pm

I checked and my lens has the latest firmware v1.3 and as shown in the Lumix support page this is the current version.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html
System:
PC Windows Pro 10
i7 3.5ghz 32gig RAM
RTX 2070 super
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Alas, possibly time to upgrade to the Oly Zoom, and get better IQ and lens performance. Either the Oly 12-40 or 12-100 (this one has OIS too), would work a treat on the new Pocket.
I have the Panasonic Leica 12-60 and it also has OIS, and works well on the Micro cameras, and will be testing it on the new Pocket 4K (when I get my camera, which is on over-order). :mrgreen:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

ted ramasola

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Please post your test results with that lens, since its a leica, maybe it works with the P4k.
System:
PC Windows Pro 10
i7 3.5ghz 32gig RAM
RTX 2070 super
DaVinci Resolve Studio
Intensity Pro 4K

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 5:35 pm

Will do, and I am counting on it working correctly... ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

jimyiapanis

PostFri Oct 12, 2018 11:00 pm

The issue is with the camera support of active lenses. If all you have are active lenses, I would hold off on buying the camera until BMD iron out those issues.

Return to Cinematography