Tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal stabilizer for Ursa 4k v1

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Asok Kumar

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Does anyone used tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal stabilizer with load capacity of 15 kg on Ursa 4k v1, when compared to DJI Ronin 2, which is better? Any latest review on this?in b&h is shown as discontinued!, please let me know, regards Ashok

Asok Kumar

Re: Tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal stabilizer for Ursa 4k v1

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm

??? I

Asok Kumar

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 11:10 pm

Anyone used? please reply

Donnell Henry

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:12 am

It will work, you’ll have to lower the motor stiffness in the gravity app settings. If you don’t, the gimbal motor begins to vibrate and shake the camera. You won’t get much tilt/roll when using the Ursa v1 on the gravity gimbal. So just concentrate on getting the camera center balanced. Try to use lighter lenses and batteries. It helps with the balance and it’s less weight on your arms. And please get an armorman 2 or something equivalent or you won’t be able to hold the gimbal up with that weight for more than 2 minutes.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:53 am

Thanks a lot,in performance is it in par with the DJI Ronin (old one with pay load of 7.5 kg)/Ronin 2 with pay load of 15kg

Donnell Henry

Re: Tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal stabilizer for Ursa 4

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 2:28 am

The motors are stronger on the gravity gimbal 3 vs the ronin 1. I’m not sure how it compares to the ronin 2. But i’ve Heard when fast panning on the gravity 3 vs the ronin 2 the motors on the gravity stops the camera faster with less drift at the end of your pan. When installing the Ursa to the gimbal remove the top bar of the gimbal or the Ursa will hit the top bar When you try a vertical tilt up/down. Also unscrew the top handle of the Ursa and remove it. Then adjust the bars/rods on the gimbal by loosening the 2 small silver hex screws on each of the bars, on both the left and right sides of the gimbal to fit the Ursa before balancing
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 11:52 am

Thanks, but there are a few reviews on this tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal!, and at b&h it's stated as the product is discontinued! when this tilta gravity 3 axis glimpal stabilizer launched?is it used in moovie industry for shooting? please reply regards Ashok

Donnell Henry

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 1:42 pm

I didn’t know it was discontinued. I have one. It works very well. The industry uses all types of gimbals. The ronin may be more popular since it was released before the gravity. The gravity is cheaper. And tilta’s service on the gravity is not bad. I had them do some upgrades on mine. Only cost me $230. All I can tell you is it works very well for me. I’ve tried the Ursa v1 on it. And now I use the Ursa mini pro on it. No problems. If it’s discontinued call tilta in California and ask them.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks,iam going to buy it

Donnell Henry

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Great post some pics when you get the Ursa on it
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostThu Sep 19, 2019 2:04 am

Tilta site says gravity weight 2.3 kg!(without batteries),is it correct?, Ronin 1 weight 4.8 kg, This much light for tilta gravity 3 axis glimbal, with pay load of 15 kg , and when compared Ronin 1 (discontinued) to tilta gravity 3 axis glimbal, which is technically superior as now Ronin 1 is getting in the market very cheaper (2000 USD). ?, please reply, regards Dr Ashok

Asok Kumar

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 9:23 am

Dear Donnelly, one more doubt,is the tilta gravity 3axis glimbal is having vediio transmitter to see the footage shot on the camera from a distance by the director? This is provided in the Ronin 2!, please reply regards Dr Ashok

Asok Kumar

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Yes got it,in both the live vediio transmitter is not present. But still my doubt exist,why the tilta gravity 3axis glimbal is not seen used in cine industry!, but Ronin 2 is extensively used!, both are in par with each other technically and performance Wise and tilta is very cheap also, any one knows it please let me know, regards Dr Ashok

Asok Kumar

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 8:00 pm

???

Asok Kumar

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 2:24 pm

????

Donnell Henry

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi I’m sorry I’m just now seeing this. No the tilta gravity does not have a video transmitter to transmit video from your camera to a monitor. But, it does have wireless control of your gimbal. Meaning you can walk with the gimbal while someone else control the gimbal, by turning it up or down, left or right for you. I’m trying to explain things as simple as I can for you. You have to buy the transmitter and receiver separately. The transmitter can be mounted to the gimbal. And there are power connections on the gimbal to plug your transmitter into, on the gravity gimbal itself. You will connect the transmitter to the SDI OUT of your URSA that you have on the gimbal. Then the transmitter will transmit to the receiver that you will have connected to your SDI or HDMI IN ports of your monitor. The ghost eye video transmitter 150 series is really good. Just in case you’re looking.
DJI’s ronin 2 is over $6000. The gravity 3 averages $2700-3500. I would expect the ronin to have a video transmitter for that price :)
To answer your question above before this:
DJI had the gimbal system on the market before Tilta came into the game with the Gravity 3. It is expected for DJI to be more popular or have more of a market presence than Tilta.

I haven’t weighed the Tilta gravity. But I can tell you it’s not heavy at all by itself. Parts of it are made of fiber glass. You will be able to operate that gravity with the URSA for about 2 minutes before your arms burn out ..well unless you’re extremely fit. I suggest getting the armor man 2.0 vest and arms ( it comes together) to help you operate longer. After all the Ursa is a heavy camera.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 3:21 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply, regards Dr ashok

Asok Kumar

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks a lots for ur reply, now I ordered a tilta gravity 3axis ex demo for 1800 USD, they will ship it after covid 19 impact over , but my concern is that tilta discontinued the gravity!,I don't know why? Iam getting a mixed reviews on gravity, and more against gravity, especially on its software! As an owner and very expert and experienced person in this industry, should I proceed with the buying this tilta gravity, and how can it carry this much weight of 33 lbs pay load as it's very light weight! Sir what is the the gravity exact weight? My purpose with the glimbal is to shoot a low to medium budject feature film,or should I buy the discontinued Ronin 1 for 2000 USD, sorry for disturbing u, early reply expected regards Dr ashok India

Donnell Henry

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi asok you should call tilta. Make sure they can service your gimbal if anything goes wrong. I sent mine in for an upgrade for the wireless controller 2 years ago and they serviced it with no problems. I don’t know if they still service the gimbal today. They will answer your questions. The weight is about 2.6Kg or 6lbs without a camera on it. But you could only hold that gimbal for about 2 mins average at a time when you put a 15-25 lb camera on it. That is something you should consider. You would need the Tilta armor man to help you to hold the weight if you’re shooting for hours. I’ve had no problems with the tilta gravity 3. It’s a good gimbal. Just remember because of the size and length of the ursa. You won’t be able to balance the roll of the camera. The pan and tilt would balance fine. Good luck
GODS CREATE

Ellory Yu

PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Asok. You shouldn't buy either the Tilta Gravity or the Ronin 1. They were good for their times but I doubt you will be able to find anyone of those company to service them today, or in a year from now. I had the URSA 4K v1 for many years shooting shorts and features. It's was purposeful and I like it, even held to it hoping for the turret. I used it on both the Tilta Gravity and the Ronin 1. Although those gimbals can carry the U4K weight, there's a lot of compromises and challenges to deal with just to get it balance. You'll be limited to lenses and configuring it... more likely striping it down. Don't even think about the impact it has on your arms and back, unless you're use to lifting weights everyday or have a mechanical arm and vest. That camera is meant to be on sticks.

So here is my suggestion. You can still use that camera if you want to but keep it where it should be - on sticks. The money you'll spend on an old, used, and/or unsupported gimbal will be more wisely used buying a new Pocket 4K and a lighter gimbal like the Ronin S or Crane 3S. They'll come to just a bit more than a $2000. You can use it as your 2nd cam for run-n-gun while the U4K v1 can shoot those nice steady shots on sticks. This gives you better flexibility. Then when you are done with your feature, you can put the U4K v1 up on eBay and recoup some of the money you spend on the P4K, or a remembrance on your mantle, whichever one you fancy to do.
URSA Mini Pro 4.6K G2, Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, Panasonic GH5
PC Workstation Core I7 64Gb, 2 x AMD R9 390X 8Gb, Blackmagic Design DeckLink 4K Mini Monitor, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Resolve Studio 18, BM Micro Panel & Speed Editor

rick.lang

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 2:43 pm

Asok, I second Ellory’s advice.

You’ll find the bargain BMPCC4K a camera that competes above its weight class in terms of its versatility and capabilities. The BMPCC6K would also be a very good choice albeit at a higher cost. What lenses you have might influence which modern Pocket is best suited for your projects. Both share BRAW and a Dual ISO sensor (400/3200).

I shoot with the URSA Mini 4.6K and BMPCC4K with the same PL lenses. My client deliverables have always been 2K/HD.
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostSun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 pm

I third Ellory’s excellent advise. We got a Pocket 4K to use with the big Ursa 4K (ver 2) EF camera which lives on sticks. ;)
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Asok Kumar

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 1:41 am

Thanks Donnell, for your help,2 yrs back u send gravity for upgrading wireless controller, was it a software upgrade or mechanical or hardware updation? Why iam asking if software update,I can download and install it as iam staying in India, also before it serviced what was the range of wireless for mimic the camera? tilta claims 800 metres! And after service how much distance u r getting for mimic via wireless, reply expected regards,ashok

Donnell Henry

PostMon Apr 20, 2020 4:58 pm

Asok Kumar wrote:Thanks Donnell, for your help,2 yrs back u send gravity for upgrading wireless controller, was it a software upgrade or mechanical or hardware updation? Why iam asking if software update,I can download and install it as iam staying in India, also before it serviced what was the range of wireless for mimic the camera? tilta claims 800 metres! And after service how much distance u r getting for mimic via wireless, reply expected regards,ashok

Hi asok it’s a hardware upgrade. Cost around $235 US
Yours may not need the upgrade. Yours may be the updated version of the gravity 3. I’m almost sure of it. I’ve never tested it pass 15 meters. 800 meters is 0.4 miles you will never need to operate the gimbal that far off.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 2:33 am

Thanks, but I don't know wether it's an updated version, as iam buying an ex demo open box tilta GR-T03 gravity glimbal, with bar code 27851 from New Zealand, they will ship it with in a week due to covid 19, regards Dr ashok, should I ask the dealer wether it is a upgraded one?if so upgrading which hardware? It's production ended early 2020 ! And it's production started at 2013-14

Donnell Henry

PostWed Apr 22, 2020 7:07 pm

Ask them how long they’ve had the demo in the store. If it’s 2 years or less you have the updated version.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostSat Apr 25, 2020 5:25 am

Thanks.they r telling that probably it is more than 2 years, they can confirm only after lock down is over, probably after April 28 th,if so what hardware u modified? related with mimic? can u give me it's technical details like serial number etc, so that I can contact tilta service for its availability, early reply expected regards Ashok

Donnell Henry

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 7:14 am

Yes it’s the mimic. They have to change a board in the gravity gimbal for the updated mimic receiver that you will see attached to the side of the gimbal that will be blinking green or white. When you power it on. I don’t know if this will be the case with you. If you receive it and you’re not able to control the gimbal when you set up your transmitter on the handle bar and move it around then you will have to send the gimbal in for the update. Read the manual when you get it on set up instructions as well as watching some YouTube videos. It will help immensely.
GODS CREATE

Asok Kumar

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 7:33 am

Thanks a lot

Asok Kumar

PostTue Apr 28, 2020 11:58 pm

Donnell, the tilta gravity I brought is 2017 model (not yet shipped to me), and tilta says that they are still support for service and new mimic of transmitter and receiver is available in the market for 150 USD

Donnell Henry

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 am

Thats great to hear! Like I said, test the mimic control. If your gimbal moves. You're good to go! If it doesn't then its not that expensive to upgrade.
GODS CREATE

Return to Cinematography