Power Delivery USB-C to P4K Power?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Chris Frechette

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 pm

Just curious if anyone knows of a solution to make a USB-C port on a power bank with Power Delivery provide power for the P4K through its power port?

Ryan Payne

Re: Power Delivery USB-C to P4K Power?

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Chris Frechette wrote:Just curious if anyone knows of a solution to make a USB-C port on a power bank with Power Delivery provide power for the P4K through its power port?

I think you can only use the usb-c port to charge to LP-E6 battery inside the camera while the camera is off. Handy if you need to travel between locations you can simple plug the camera in and have it's battery charge.

Chris Frechette

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:54 am

Ryan Payne wrote:
Chris Frechette wrote:Just curious if anyone knows of a solution to make a USB-C port on a power bank with Power Delivery provide power for the P4K through its power port?

I think you can only use the usb-c port to charge to LP-E6 battery inside the camera while the camera is off. Handy if you need to travel between locations you can simple plug the camera in and have it's battery charge.

Not what I'm talking about. I'm looking to go from a power bank with a power delivery capable usb-c to the power input on the P4K, not the usb-c on the P4K.

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:21 am

I looked into that to connect an Anker Powercore II to the 12v power port and I think the only method would be to get that power adapter set from BMD and either make a cable with USB-A on the other side or use a USB-A to barrel connector adapter.

joe12south

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:32 am

If I'm not mistaken, a "classic" USB-A port will not supply enough power to run the P4K. I think it's something like 5 volt 2 amp max.

USB-C can deliver loads of power, but I think there would need to be something regulating how much.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 1:48 am

Look at the new Mophie Powerstation USB-C 3XL that I posted earlier today. 45 watts and 26Ah. Hook it up with a custom USB-C to 2-pin cable to operate the camera with any attachments you’re likely to need. Or plug it into the camera’s USB-C connector to charge the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by rick.lang on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rick Lang

Chris Frechette

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 12:43 pm

joe12south wrote:If I'm not mistaken, a "classic" USB-A port will not supply enough power to run the P4K. I think it's something like 5 volt 2 amp max.

USB-C can deliver loads of power, but I think there would need to be something regulating how much.

This is what I am assuming too. I dont think that if I were to splice a usb-c together with the blackmagic cable that the power delivery would know what voltage to be sending across or if it would even send any power. Power delivery allows for auto adjustment, but I dont know if it would still work in this type of situation without something in the cable to communicate with the thing proving the power. I was hoping maybe there was an existing cable for some other device with compatible power that perhaps went from usb-c to a barrel plug of some sort that I could make a cable to connect to. Hopefully we'll see a ready to buy cable of this sort or a good diy video from someone knowledgable in this.

michaeldhead

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm

rick.lang wrote:USB-C to 2-pin cable BMD supplies in November for $55.

I thought the cable pack came with D-tap, 2.5 barrel, and open end for splicing - are you talking about making your own cable with the open end cable, or did I miss an announcement about a USB-C to Lemo cable that will be available?

Thank you!
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

joe12south

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 3:16 pm

michaeldhead wrote:
rick.lang wrote:USB-C to 2-pin cable BMD supplies in November for $55.

I thought the cable pack came with D-tap, 2.5 barrel, and open end for splicing - are you talking about making your own cable with the open end cable, or did I miss an announcement about a USB-C to Lemo cable that will be available?

Thank you!

USB-C > 2-pin 12V would be very nice as there are a lot of powerful bricks out there that could be used in a pinch, but I don't think BMD or anyone else has announced such a cable.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:40 pm

My bad! The BMD cables are D-tap/barrel/custom to 2-pin. I’ve had USB-C on my mind related to the external SSD. Sorry for the slip.

I amended my erroneous post to better convey the options with the Mophie USB-C battery pack.

Rick Lang

michaeldhead

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:02 pm

Would it be possible to use the open wire to 2 Pin Lemo wire in the BMD pack and add a USB-C just to draw power from a brick? I don't know enough about the wattage/voltage of the carriers to know for certain.
Michael D Head
www.michaeldhead.com
producer/writer/director/DP

joe12south

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 pm

michaeldhead wrote:Would it be possible to use the open wire to 2 Pin Lemo wire in the BMD pack and add a USB-C just to draw power from a brick? I don't know enough about the wattage/voltage of the carriers to know for certain.

USB-C power delivery is more complicated than connecting 2 wires.

Mark Grgurev

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 6:37 pm

joe12south wrote:If I'm not mistaken, a "classic" USB-A port will not supply enough power to run the P4K. I think it's something like 5 volt 2 amp max.

A USB 3.1 type A cable can do 12v just fine. That's why things like this exist.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore- ... dpSrc=srch

It's important to remember that USB-C, USB-PD, and USB 3.1 are all separate but related standards.

Just because a wire is USB on one side doesn't mean it has to use the USB-PD standard. If you're going from a USB battery to Weipu then there's no protocol, the battery just has to send 12v through the wire and the Weipu will accept it.

Return to Cinematography