Buttons installed upside down on BMPCC4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Dean Fisher

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 2:25 pm

I got my BMPCC4K at last yesterday (YAY!). Unfortunately, the main operational buttons next to the LCD were installed upside down (UN-YAY!). The functions were mapped correctly, they just were installed in upside down, ascending order instead somehow. Has anyone else received a camera like this? I've already contacted BM for a service RMA.

It sucks to have to immediately send out the camera that I've waited so long for. I did get to play around with it a bit and test it with a Lexar 256gb CFast 2.0, Wise 128gb CFast 2.0, and a record 4:1 Raw 4K DCI 60p to USB-c with a Samsung EVO 860 500gb SSD successfully (SATA to USB-C adapter)

Overall, I like the slightly larger heft with the deceivingly light weight, the screen is beautiful as well as the interface, and the instant LUT on/off button is amazing. Perhaps the UMP/4.6k has that as well, but it's new to me as a BMPCC and URSA 4K owner. Goodbye for now, little buddy.

Kays Alatrakchi

Re: Buttons installed upside down on BMPCC4K

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 4:46 pm

You must have gotten one of the 'Down Under Special Edition' models! :lol: :lol: :lol:
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

Rakesh Malik

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:31 pm

Or a Whiskey Edition. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Dean, in 50 years your kids will thank you for keeping that collector’s gem. The BMD museum will pay big bucks at a Sotheby’s auction to add that one of a kind copy to their collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm

I agree Rick, I would keep this one of a kind camera. Unique in a world of everything being the same :roll:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Same rule originates with coin collecting; it’s the rare flawed coin thing that is worth the most. And it’s a great discussion point when you’re having a beer with a bunch of camera addicts!

Rick Lang

Demetrius Spencer

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 8:00 pm

I had a C4K come in the same way. I had to send pics and video before I could get an RMA. They have had the camera for a week. I wanted them to send a new camera, but instead they corrected the button order and are supposed to ship it to me today. Sucks to have waited so long from pre-order and then have to wait to get a defected unit fixed.

Dean Fisher

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:10 pm

Demetrius Spencer wrote:I had a C4K come in the same way. I had to send pics and video before I could get an RMA. They have had the camera for a week. I wanted them to send a new camera, but instead they corrected the button order and are supposed to ship it to me today. Sucks to have waited so long from pre-order and then have to wait to get a defected unit fixed.
Upside-down brothers-in-arms. At this point, I'm not sure if even BM can get their hands on a factory fresh camera, so I guess I'd rather they fix it and send it back!

Perhaps they'll do a spot check for any of the issues that have arisen since release? That'd be nice, as an extra measure.

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Darn it, another one! Okay it’s not so rare. Probably the whole Monday run for a new person!

Just kidding...

Rick Lang

Dean Fisher

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:22 pm

rick.lang wrote:Darn it, another one! Okay it’s not so rare. Probably the whole Monday run for a new person!

Just kidding...

They're out there, Rick. You might be next! :o

My grandchildren will be SO disappointed...

rick.lang

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 pm

I actually thought I’d have a camera by now, but I’m not sure any have shipped to BC. Everything is ready to begin except for the D-tap to 2-pin to connect to my brick. Oh well at least I’ll become an authority on the battery life of the BMD camera battery.

I’ve already missed using it to shoot the wedding reception dance in September and next week I have a theatrical shoot that likely will again use the URSA Mini 4.6K and the Fujinon this time. Two shoots scheduled in December and those one will likely use the BMPCC4K and possibly the new Tokina Cinema ATX 11-20mm T2.9 PL and possibly the new SLR Magic 32mm APO.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography