Metabones or Viltrox for Pocket cinema 4k

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Johannes Jonsson

Metabones or Viltrox for Pocket cinema 4k

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Anyone here tested Viltrox EF-M2 on their Pocket cinema 4k.
How does it compare to the Metabones Speed Booster Ultra 0.71x?
There is a huge difference in cost I can imagine there would be something to gain getting the Metabones speed booster.
Johannes

Denny Smith

Re: Metabones or Viltrox for Pocket cinema 4k

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Reports I have read indicates the Viltrox is not allowing control of the lens iris from the camera, and no IS, when the lens has this option, unless IS switch on the lens, when using some Canon lenses. The adapter is seems, is not communicating with the camera OS lens control commands.

The New Pocket is not designed to work with the Canon auto lens protocol, as it is a MFT standards lens mount and MFT auto lens control protocol, using the latest version of this standard, which seems is a little different than the Pocket camera protocol settings. So the less expensive third party auto adsoters are not completely working correctly, and need a FW update from the adapter maker to correct this.

Metabones keeps their MFT adapters up to date, while Viltrox appears not to be doing so. The adapter has to interpret MFT lens control commands to Canon’s EF protocol, so the adapter firmware needs to be kept up to date. This is one of the differences you are paying for with the Metsbones adapters, they work!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Johannes Jonsson

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:02 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Reports I have read indicates the Viltrox is not allowing control of the lens iris from the camera, and no IS, when the lens has this option, unless IS switch on the lens, when using some Canon lenses. The adapter is seems, is not communicating with the camera OS lens control commands.

The New Pocket is not designed to work with the Canon auto lens protocol, as it is a MFT standards lens mount and MFT auto lens control protocol, using the latest version of this standard, which seems is a little different than the Pocket camera protocol settings. So the less expensive third party auto adsoters are not completely working correctly, and need a FW update from the adapter maker to correct this.

Metabones keeps their MFT adapters up to date, while Viltrox appears not to be doing so. The adapter has to interpret MFT lens control commands to Canon’s EF protocol, so the adapter firmware needs to be kept up to date. This is one of the differences you are paying for with the Metsbones adapters, they work!
Cheers

Thanks for the info.
This is what I thought, I get what I play for.
I am not worried about Is but íris control is a must for two of my Canon, 16-35 and 70-200. Others are CN prime full manual lenses.
Johannes

Chris Frechette

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 pm

I thought the iris worked, but the auto focus didn’t. Not sure about IS.

Iain Bason

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Chris Frechette wrote:I thought the iris worked, but the auto focus didn’t. Not sure about IS.

For my Sigma 18-35mm EF mount, the iris works but the auto focus doesn't. Of course, it isn't a Canon lens, and it doesn't have IS.

Johannes Jonsson

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 11:47 pm

I saw there are some firmware updades for the adapter on their page with fix on compatibility for the pocket in their læst two versions.
Johannes

Denny Smith

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:27 am

Good, they have stepped up to the Plate!
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Tim Lota

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 6:41 am

I've read a review where they said, the IS works as long as you connect the lens while the camera AND the IS-switch are turned on. Then even the switch works.

Olivier Chira

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:I saw there are some firmware updades for the adapter on their page with fix on compatibility for the pocket in their læst two versions.

Hi ! I have the Viltrox EF-M2 and the pocket 4K and for now lens IS doesn't work with my Canon 24-105mm L IS. I also installed the latest firmware which was released in July according to Viltrox official website. Where have you seen those last two firmware updates taking care of the P4K issue with IS ? Thanks.

Btw, I'll try the "switch on IS" trick again when I connect the lens to see if it works. Funny thing is it was the exact opposite with the BMPCC and the BMMCC... You had to switch on IS AFTER turning on the camera.

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:33 am

Olivier Chira wrote:
Johannes Jonsson wrote:I saw there are some firmware updades for the adapter on their page with fix on compatibility for the pocket in their læst two versions.

Hi ! I have the Viltrox EF-M2 and the pocket 4K and for now lens IS doesn't work with my Canon 24-105mm L IS. I also installed the latest firmware which was released in July according to Viltrox official website. Where have you seen those last two firmware updates taking care of the P4K issue with IS ? Thanks.

Btw, I'll try the "switch on IS" trick again when I connect the lens to see if it works. Funny thing is it was the exact opposite with the BMPCC and the BMMCC... You had to switch on IS AFTER turning on the camera.

EF-M2 firmwere v3.1 is the latest sins July so you must be having that one. there were one before that in May.
Johannes

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm

What about IQ? Tests I've seen so far (on other cameras) shows its even sharper than the Metabones if a little stepped down, and it only gets better the more you go.
Ulysses Paiva

Olivier Chira

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 2:46 pm

Johannes Jonsson wrote:
Olivier Chira wrote:

EF-M2 firmwere v3.1 is the latest sins July so you must be having that one. there were one before that in May.

So there hasn't been any update for the pocket 4K as you previously misstated. And I can confirm, IS doesn't work, whatever the trick you use (turning on the IS and the camera, etc.)
I emailed Viltrox, they answered me back and told me they would tell their engineer team about it.

And also something else about the Viltrox, maybe due to the thickness of the glass before the sensor ? (some bmcuser thread about it) but you can't have focus across the image with wide lenses. It's like there's a field curvature issue. Maybe it's because of the sensor being larger than a regular m43 ?

Can someone with the metabones Ultra chime in ? Do you have IS ? Can you focus towards infinity with all the frame perfectly in focus ? This can be a major issue to me.

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:10 pm

I hope they will have some fixes for us soon. I ordered one to test, Ill buy Metabones if I can not live with this one.
Johannes

Ryan Humphrey

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Ulysses Paiva wrote:What about IQ? Tests I've seen so far (on other cameras) shows its even sharper than the Metabones if a little stepped down, and it only gets better the more you go.

Where are you seeing this? There's a weird lack of comprehensive A/B/C testing on the various focal reducers out there. And a lot of what has been done is either quite old, or done by someone with an interest in one of the products being compared. Or both.

Lots of the information about the various options is stuff that "everyone knows X about Y" or "My buddy once used one and experienced such-and-such". Not a lot of empirical testing.

If you have any examples of good quality testing, please link. I'd be very interested and I'm sure outhers would be too.

joe12south

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:47 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:
Ulysses Paiva wrote:What about IQ? Tests I've seen so far (on other cameras) shows its even sharper than the Metabones if a little stepped down, and it only gets better the more you go.

Where are you seeing this? There's a weird lack of comprehensive A/B/C testing on the various focal reducers out there. And a lot of what has been done is either quite old, or done by someone with an interest in one of the products being compared. Or both.

Lots of the information about the various options is stuff that "everyone knows X about Y" or "My buddy once used one and experienced such-and-such". Not a lot of empirical testing.

If you have any examples of good quality testing, please link. I'd be very interested and I'm sure outhers would be too.

I've tested a fair number of these and I can confidently say that the Viltrox optics are equal to the Metabones - not something I could say about the other cheapos I've tested. (I don't still own all of them, or I'd share A/B grabs.) The build quality is very similar, as well.
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Robert Niessner

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Today I got the Metabones Cine EF/MFT Ultra 0.71 for my PCC4K. I can confirm that at least on the Canon 100-400 4.5-5.6 L IS USM the IS works. And the the Sigma 18-35 1.8 is a night owl on this combination.
AF does not work.
Saying "Thx for help!" is not a crime.
--------------------------------
Robert Niessner
LAUFBILDkommission
Graz / Austria
--------------------------------
Blackmagic Camera Blog (German):
http://laufbildkommission.wordpress.com

Read the blog in English via Google Translate:
http://tinyurl.com/pjf6a3m

Ulysses Paiva

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:30 pm

Ryan Humphrey wrote:

I'm too lazy to search that again. But I did see 2 or 3 tests that were trustworthy. One had picutres showing the difference between different appertures between the two. Another was a video showing the same findings done by another people. I saw that many biased reviews, but there are good ones. It shouldnt be hard to find. Its just that I'm lazy. Sorry.
Ulysses Paiva

Return to Cinematography