About a viewfinder for P4K ?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Virgile

About a viewfinder for P4K ?

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am

Hello group,
I just received my Pocket 4K. First time user of a BMD device and for now, getting familiarized with it. I found solutions the way I wanted to rig the camera except for one thing : the viewfinder. I'm an "eyecup" guy, who never got used to shooting with a screen. I like to stick the camera to my face. There are many EVF's available of course, but the least I need batteries, the better, so I'm looking for something like classic bunky EVF like a classic Z-Finder. Problem, of course, is the size of the P4K screen. I don't seem to find a solution so I thought of something... Maybe it won't make sense, but I post the suggestion here...
Why not offering an option that would reduce the display size to 3 inches. That would allow users to use their all viewfinders. It would have its downfalls of course, but I'm sure many users might appreciate this option despite the flaws. Besides, I don't know about this, but wouldn't give batteries a little more life ?
Physically, I saw the display had a little frame around it, and I guess this little slit could welcome a frame that would protect the display and allow for a view finder to stick to it without damaging the screen - but the would be the VF makers to design this part ;)
If anyone has a solution to offer, I'm all ears !
Cheers !

Richard Cardona

Re: About a viewfinder for P4K ?

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:34 pm

Their are many that have vf. The kargest are

http://www.fvlight.eu/spectrahd-4-evf-k ... loupe.html

Kinoteh.com

Te smaller ones like lkan and small.

Jim Giberti

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:43 pm

We use a couple of the small 3.5" Ikan monitors with loupes for smaller cameras -to keep them small :)

I've got one on a P4k that works great and also as a third point of contact.
Also uses the same LP battery and wll run all day on one.
Light as a feather. Really inexpensive but they've held up perfectly after a couple of years of heavy use.
You can keep the P4K screen to 50% to greatly improve battery run time.

Great, simple solution for a small, inexpensive camera like this.

Virgile

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Ikan one is nice and fits 5" screens, but why the hell don't they sell their loupe without the monitor ? All these are EVF's. Even if the battery runs long on it... that kills it for me.What I'm really looking for is juste a big ass loupe, big enough to fit that gigantic screen ;)
Thanks for the advice, though ! I'll keep looking for the perfect solution ! ;)

enricobartolucci

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:57 pm

I've done a little research about the available options for an optical viewfinder capable of covering the huge 5" screen of the p4k, and the best option on paper - so to speak - seems to be a viewfinder made by Gridaccessories, and which I think has been developed for the BMCC. Maybe you should check it out.

Thomas Schumacher

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 9:59 pm

I'm looking for a loupe-only, too.
They claim to have something coming up: https://www.gridaccessories.com
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

Jim Giberti

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Virgile wrote:What I'm really looking for is juste a big ass loupe, big enough to fit that gigantic screen
Thanks for the advice, though ! I'll keep looking for the perfect solution !

Grid has had one for a while but Denny will tell you that looking through a 5" loupe is not a comfortable eye experience.

The other obvious issue is that a giant loupe blocks the touch screen which, trust me, you will use all the time even with programmed function buttons and other dedicated controls.

The screen interface is about as good as it comes and you won't want to lose that real time control.

The small, light EVF draws hardly any power and you get the EVF and touchscreen control.

Howard Roll

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 12:25 am

Expensive and will require an adapter, this is the one.

https://www.pstechnik.de/en/ps-finder-loupe/a-1188/

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 am

The issue with using a loupe type setup in a large screen like the PC4K, is you can not see the entire screen when looking straight ahead. Your eye has to scan and search across the monitor, this is very trying after a while, and not always a good practice.

Small HD solved this issue with their 501/502and the sidefinder, by having the monitor window down to shrink the image size to a comfortable viewing size through the SidFinder setup. This works well, but trying to see an entire 5-inch screen with s loupe is not an enjoyable experience.

This is why EVFs have small screens. To allow the EVF optics to bring the image to a comfortable viewing size and allow you to see the entire frame while looking forward, no eye strain.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Virgile

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 7:26 am

Yes, I though about that issue actually. Feels like a loupe wouldn't be the perfect tool to stick your eye to a 5" screen. And I had not thought of the touchscreen... mmmmh... sounds like an unsolvable problem for now. But that makes the option I mentioned in the first post may make sense. Display the image in a 3"2 frame - or whatever the "classic" DSLR display is, but I think it's 3"2. Leave the touch controls under this tiny image, and let users or companies work their way with their old plastic OVF and the kind of plastic attachment I was referring to.
Question is : is it possible to get this display option on the P4K ? I would say, yes, technically. But don't know if BM is willing to work on this for 2 people wanting an OVF option... mmmpphh

Virgile

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 am

Hey Denny,
I had assumed the loupe was not the best tool to use with such a large screen, that's why I had thought about a display mode on the P4K - and other BM cameras that have a large display - that would only show the image in a 3" or so mode. A size which would allow the user to use a classic OVF. Moreover, that would leave room for the touch controls... that's something I would think about. But maybe the OVF option only appeals to a very minor fringe of customers...

Return to Cinematography