Speedbooster for BMCC 2.5 k EF Mount

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

photonphoenix

Speedbooster for BMCC 2.5 k EF Mount

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi

Just got myself a bmcc 2.5k EF mount camera. I knew about the crop factor, but the message sinked in when i tested the camera :)

I am a canon guy, so have the 17-24, and 24-105 lenses.

I am looking at 2 options - get a wider lense for travel photography or buy a speedbooster to use my existing lenses?

Which speedbooster is recommended? Metabones is quite expensive and am looking for a cheaper alternative for now as i am a relative newbie on the cine camera
Last edited by photonphoenix on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denny Smith

Re: Speedbooster for BMCC 2.5 k EF Mount

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:39 pm

You have the EF version of the BMCC. There are no options for a Speed Booster on that camera. You need the MFT lens mount version to use a Speed Booster. You can not add an adapter between a EF mount lens and a EF mount camera. It does not work thst way, except to use a tele-Converter which is the opposite of a Speed Booster.

A normal AOV lens for this camera is around 20mm, so if you want a wider angle of view, you need a wider angle Canon EF mount lens. A good option for a nice wide zoom, is the new Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8: it is a good wide option, with nice IQ, as is the original 11-16mm Zoom, which will tag into your Canon 17-24mm Zoom. Both are available in EF mount, the 11-16 can be had used for under $300, the new versions are $400-500.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

photonphoenix

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks. That was really helpful. Tokina it is then

Denny Smith

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 1:51 am

You are welcome. I have a PL version of the Tomina 11-16 rebuilt by Duclos Lenses, to turn thenkens into a Cine tyoe manual lens, with follow focus gears in the focus and iris rings. The glass was cherry picked by Duclos to get rhe best quality IQ. It is a very nice lens, and even the modified rebuilt Cine version is still light and compact with a 77mm filter ring front end. Tokina now makes a Cine version, thanks to Matt Duclos helping them out with his example.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography