URSA Viewfinder blue screen

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

unitalia

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 3:29 pm

My URSA viewfinder is showing just a blue frame. The viewfinder menu works perfectly and I have also updated it to the firmware 6.0. I have 2 URSA mini Pro and it gives the same problem on both, even if using v-mount battery or power line. The signal comes out of the cameras so the problem must be in the viewfinder.
Any solutions? Anyone with the same problem?

Thanks

Matt Certa

Re: UrsaPro viewfinder does not work

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 4:44 pm

blue screen means its not getting signal. I think the actual data pigtail cable is a bit fragile.Ive had mine repaired for that issue.

But also make sure you are sending a compatible signal to it. I know it wont display a 1080i signal

Johannes Jonsson

PostMon Oct 22, 2018 5:04 pm

Most likely the SDI cable, I replaced tho SDI connector on the cable to fix mine.
You can also test by taking the signal from the SDI on the back on the camera and see if you get it working from there.
Johannes

unitalia

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 am

Matt Certa wrote:blue screen means its not getting signal. I think the actual data pigtail cable is a bit fragile.Ive had mine repaired for that issue.

But also make sure you are sending a compatible signal to it. I know it wont display a 1080i signal

Thank you for your reply. I've tried it on 2 different URSA's and the signal is 1080p. The viewfinder is near to new, just 2 months. Well I am sending it in for repair.

unitalia

PostTue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 am

Johannes Jonsson wrote:Most likely the SDI cable, I replaced tho SDI connector on the cable to fix mine.
You can also test by taking the signal from the SDI on the back on the camera and see if you get it working from there.

Thanks for your reply, I am going to send it back for repair. I tried everything.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Oct 24, 2018 7:38 pm

There is a known issue in 6.0 Beta where 'Extended Video' causes an issue with the URSA Viewfinder because the Viewfinder doesn't recognise that LUT and can't load it. We are aware of this and have a fix on the way in the 6.0 general release. This causes a black display on the Viewfinder.

Have you tried rolling your camera back to 5.1.1 to see if this issue is still present there? You won't need to flash your Viewfinder back as there was no update for the viewfinder in the 6.0 Beta.

unitalia

PostWed Oct 31, 2018 11:10 am

Tim Schumann wrote:There is a known issue in 6.0 Beta where 'Extended Video' causes an issue with the URSA Viewfinder because the Viewfinder doesn't recognise that LUT and can't load it. We are aware of this and have a fix on the way in the 6.0 general release.

Have you tried rolling your camera back to 5.1.1 to see if this issue is still present there? You won't need to flash your Viewfinder back as there was no update for the viewfinder in the 6.0 Beta.

Ok thank you very much.

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 1:50 am

The bug I mentioned was fixed by the URSA Viewfinder update in Camera 6.0.

Worth updating your UMP camera and Viewfinder via USB.
If it is still showing 'blue screen' then you should contact support - you may need the cable replaced.

CalOESPIO

Re: URSA Viewfinder blue screen

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 pm

Hello, I'd just finished setting my back-focus on my new Ursa Broadcast G2 and Fujinon lens when I peered into the viewfinder and saw nothing but a blue screen. It was fine prior to this. ZERO wear and tear on this. It's brand new. Any reason for the blue screen other than wear and tear??
Thanks anyone who can shed some logical light on this.
Shawn

Tom Roper

PostWed Oct 05, 2022 9:22 pm

I don't know. My URSA 12K and viewfinder are both back at the USA repair center for this problem. It had been working fine, then just stopped when it went to the blue screen. The viewfinder menu controls show up fine, so whatever failed seems to have bricked both the front SDI Out and the VF. Camera has never been used to operate any other SDI device besides this viewfinder, and is powered by V-Lock battery.

I rented a second URSA viewfinder from LensRentals. It worked fine from the rear SDI but the front SDI still gave the same blue screen, no apparent signal. I went through all the menus and did a full camera reset but no luck on that front SDI Out. The owned URSA viewfinder gives the blue screen from either SDI.

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:40 am

CalOESPIO wrote:Any reason for the blue screen other than wear and tear??
Thanks anyone who can shed some logical light on this.

Hi Shawn. Unfortunately it seems to be quite common. My brand new VF with my Broadcast G2 arrived DOA too. No matter what I did, it produced a blue screen. It is a faulty SDI cable or connector. I would send it back for a replacement asap. I had a devil of a time getting them (dealer) to replace it, even though I buy a lot of gear through them. In the end I sourced another and they refunded me. The VF is great and still, for the money one of the best, but the SDI cable sorely needs a revision, to make it more robust and secure.

Uli Plank

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 12:33 pm

If you know which way to hold a soldering iron, you can replace it on your own (after warranty is over, of course).
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

John Brawley

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 2:34 pm

The blue screen can mean a few things.

A lot of users forget that the EVF has to have its own firmware updates, and they have to be matched to the firmware the camera is using. A firmware mismatch can cause the blue screen.

It can be the cable itself, it can also be the output of the camera itself blowing or the input on the EVF blowing too.

It can be very easy to short through the SDI. It’s been happening a lot for Komodo users. This is for RED Komodo but the rules are the same too.

I bought several of the now discontinued wooden camera EVF mods that allow you to rehouse the EVF and use different cables which I think has helped their longevity in my case.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:21 pm

John Brawley wrote:It can be the cable itself, it can also be the output of the camera itself blowing or the input on the EVF blowing too.

It can be very easy to short through the SDI. It’s been happening a lot for Komodo users. This is for RED Komodo but the rules are the same too.

The Ursa VF SDI is 3G John, it is harder to blow and can be protected quite easily from that. There is currentlly a mismatch of firmware on the Broadcast G2 (can't speak for other cameras) 7.5 on the VF and 7.9.2 on the UBG2. In my case I followed all the proper things, the 1st VF was DOA.
Uli Plank wrote:If you know which way to hold a soldering iron, you can replace it on your own (after warranty is over, of course).

Yes that occurred to me too Uli, I may well have a look when it is.

John Brawley

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:29 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
John Brawley wrote:It can be the cable itself, it can also be the output of the camera itself blowing or the input on the EVF blowing too.

Yes I know. It's not an issue exclusive to 12G SDI though, it's just more prevalent. It's still possible with any SDI connection.

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm

John Brawley wrote:Yes I know. It's not an issue exclusive to 12G SDI though, it's just more prevalent. It's still possible with any SDI connection.

It is John, but you can use an SDI protector without signal degradation, unlike 12G.

The other thing that needs revision is that ancient usb port, for firmware update - the last time I saw one of those was on my Tom Tom over 15 years ago. :lol:

John Brawley

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:42 pm

Steve Fishwick wrote:
John Brawley wrote:Yes I know. It's not an issue exclusive to 12G SDI though, it's just more prevalent. It's still possible with any SDI connection.

It is John, but you can use an SDI protector without signal degradation, unlike 12G.

I don't know anyone that uses one Steve, and in the general discussion about prolonging the life of a BMD EVF, I think it's worth people knowing that *any* SDI port (on any device) can blow with incorrect powering or connecting sequences or without using SDI protection filters and with *bad* power protocols, especially 12G ones.

I'm just pushing for "good practise" so as to minimise people posting a me too in this thread...

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Steve Fishwick

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 3:58 pm

John Brawley wrote:I'm just pushing for "good practise" so as to minimise people posting a me too in this thread...

And totally with you on that!

Tom Roper

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 pm

I don't feel I was pushing a bad practice. I was just using the camera with the viewfinder as intended.

John Brawley

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 11:46 pm

Tom, I wasn’t saying you were. This is just about reducing the possible user side of these kinds of faults.

This is just good practice for any SDI port. All the camera makers suggest the same thing. Here’s the Arri one.

https://www.arri.com/resource/blob/1947 ... n-data.pdf

JB
John Brawley ACS
Cinematographer
Currently - Los Angeles

Tom Roper

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 2:36 am

Well, it has not dimmed my enthusiasm for this 12K camera or other Blackmagic products. I miss being with my camera but the Allstate service policy has availed to me a $750 credit toward rental while repairs are underway.

Tom Roper

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 2:43 am

Thanks John, that is a great recommendation from Arri about how to prevent a surge damage, power cable first, then SDI, so perhaps I was pushing a bad practice. I don't remember doing or not doing that sequence order but I will now! Thanks again!

tarkanyi

PostMon Oct 17, 2022 8:04 am

Hi, guys, I have that problem too. I checked my output signal with another monitor, it's ok (1080 25p).
Then disconected the sdi cable from mainboard, and vetified it with multimeter, it' ok. I think, was disconected from camerain wrong order. Maybe it's bricked. SDo you know any online store, where I can buy that replacement board(s)?

It's to expensive for me to buy a new one.

Regards,
John

Return to Cinematography