Potential Scam Alert for Blackmagic Pocket 4K waiting list

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Kays Alatrakchi

Potential Scam Alert for Blackmagic Pocket 4K waiting list

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 6:38 pm

I just received a really suspicious phone call (they left a message) from a company telling me that the "product" that I've been waiting for is in stock and to call them back to place my order.

The 855 phone number goes to a voice mail that once again doesn't mention the retailer's name or any other information.

I suspect that this is a scam, and whoever is behind this might be targeting people who are on pre-order waiting lists and who might be overly eager to hand out their credit card information from the sheer excitement of getting a notification like this.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up, I'm on a pre-order list on a couple of retailers and I don't think that those retailers would have handed off my information, so it's possible that they're monitoring threads on this and other web sites and doing some Googling to get our phone numbers.

Stay alert!
>>Kays Alatrakchi
Filmmaker based in Los Angeles, CA
http://moviesbykays.com

Resolve 18.1.4, Mac OS X 12.6.3 (Monterey), iMac Pro 64Gb RAM, Decklink Mini 4K, LG C9

Mac Book Air M1, Mac OS X 12.6 (Monterey), 16Gb RAM

rick.lang

Re: Potential Scam Alert for Blackmagic Pocket 4K waiting li

PostSat Nov 03, 2018 10:37 pm

For years! Canadians have been suffering through calls from Canada Revenue Agency regarding tax bills to be paid or else you would be arrested. CRA never phones Canadians and there were no outstanding bills for the people called. CRA doesn’t arrest people.

People have paid many thousands of dollars. A news service investigator found a garage-style call centre in India with the help of a reformed whistleblower. Staff there knew what they were doing was fraudulent but the call centre staff could earn more in a night than they otherwise could earn in a month. The Canadian police in concert with India police have finally moved in on the operators last week or so. Funny haven’t had one of those calls in the last week or so.

Do not return any of those calls. Do do press any buttons on your phone as you have no idea what the button press will be interpreted to mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography