BMPCC 4K Focusing Not Working?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

overpwredbyfunk

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 2:33 am

It’s with a heavy heart that I have to turn to the forums for what will probably result in an easy or obvious answer—but I got my BMPCC 4k today and touch screen focusing as well as manual focusing just isn’t working for me. I’ve used 4 Panasonic lenses (12-35mm, 42.5mm, 45-200mm, 20mm) and an Olympus 7-14mm. Changing the iris on the camera also doesn’t appear to do anything to the image brightness.

Are my lenses just not compatible? Or is something up with my camera?

rick.lang

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 6:54 pm

How do you mount and dismount these lenses? Not sure if this helps, but worth a try: with the camera turned off, mount that Panasonic 20mm lens set to manual focus; turn on the camera; test focus functions.

It may not be mandatory, but I think shutting off the camera before lens changes is a best practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC 4K Focusing Not Working?

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Yes, it is the MFT Camera recommended practice to always power down before changing lenses on any MFT camera.
If your lens is still not communicating with the camera after doing what Rick suggests, contact your regional BM Support Office, you may have a DOA (as far as native auto lenses go) camera, with a non-functional MFT Mount (loose wire or broken connection somewhere in the camera). :cry:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

overpwredbyfunk

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks folks—I was mounting the lenses powered off. After working with BMD support today and sending a video of the issue with a few lenses they determined that it was DOA. BMD has been super cool and they’ve overnighted me a replacement body.

FYI—I found out some disappointing news for everyone still waiting on their order from B&H. I also contacted B&H to try and initiate a return and they told me they could take it back but their next fulfillment from BMD wasn’t expected until 12/30. This is what drove me to go direct to BMD for help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Good, glad you got it sorted. BM Support has a,ways been very responsive to me, and give great service. With the new camera release, they have more resources available also. Enjoy you new camera :!:
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Glad you called BMD Support. As long as you have good documentation of an issue, BMD is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Bo-Ming Tong

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 6:10 am

Haven't got the 4k yet, but with my original Pocket, sometimes it is necessary to depress the lens lock button of the camera body, and then let go, to reset the lens communication.
Bo-Ming Tong
(Conurus)

PaulCrafford

PostSat Feb 09, 2019 7:42 am

hi all,
I have the same problem. Got mine yesterday, but im using it with metabones speedbooster, could this be the problem? I have no mft lenses to test with...

Denny Smith

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Yes Paul, currently the Metabones SB is not supporting auto focus on the new Pocket 4K. Metsbones is supposedly working on this.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frazanjum

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:32 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yes Paul, currently the Metabones SB is not supporting auto focus on the new Pocket 4K. Metsbones is supposedly working on this.
Cheers

Hi Denny
I am waiting for my Meike lens, I know it’s fully manual focus lens so not aspecting autofocus touch on BMPCC 4K, but my question is will the iris display appear in the screen for the these manual lenses ?
Thanks

Denny Smith

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:40 am

No, Meike and Veydra MFT lenses are not auto anything, no electrical contacts like a Nikon AIS manual lens has, so no f/stop display on the camera. You need to look at the lens iris ring and set the desired f/stop the old fashioned way.

That said, Some PL mounts and Lenses have the Cooke i technology which gives Lens meta data and iris setting info on a camera screen, that supports this. MFT cameras do not have this ability with manual lenses.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frazanjum

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:43 am

Denny Smith wrote:No, Meike and Veydra MFT lenses are not auto anything, no electrical contacts like a Nikon AIS manual lens has, so no f/stop display on the camera. You need to look at the lens iris ring and set the desired f/stop the old fashioned way.

That said, Some PL mounts and Lenses have the Cooke i technology which gives Lens meta data and iris setting info on a camera screen, that supports this. MFT cameras do not have this ability with manual lenses.
Cheers

Thanks much for the prompt reply
So does this impact any functions of the lens and/or camera ?
The only lens that support f stop display and autofocus touch are native Panasonic/Lumix lenses with autofocus built in ? Is that correct ?
Thanks

Denny Smith

PostThu May 21, 2020 7:47 am

Yes, only native MFT auto lenses or Canon auto lenses when used with a smart adapter have AF and on camera iris control/in camera display. Manual lenses are just that, manual.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Frazanjum

PostThu May 21, 2020 8:12 pm

Denny Smith wrote:Yes, only native MFT auto lenses or Canon auto lenses when used with a smart adapter have AF and on camera iris control/in camera display. Manual lenses are just that, manual.
Cheers

Thanks
One more question
What is your opinion about Voigtlander Nokton lenses in comparison to Meike primes ?
I looking into some documentary work as well as interior and architecture?
Your suggestions will definitely help to choose
Thanks

Denny Smith

PostThu May 21, 2020 9:03 pm

The Meike/Veydras are more like a Zeiss lens, with a clean modern look, while the Voigtländer Norton’s are more like a vintage lens look, with a more unique “look” like a Angenieux vs a Leica look. Wide open the Voight’s are softer, with a dream like image quality, and a faster max f/stop, stopped down they sharpen up. Meike’s are less soft wide open, and sharpen up quicker. As to show how one, I would rent the same focal length in each one and do a lens test to see which one you like. Personally I would rather go for a Cine or Voightlander over the Meike (which for personal reasons I would not buy). The SLR Magic Microprime is another interesting Cine type lens worth looking at.

I replaced my Veydra Mini Primes with Zeiss ZF lenses, because of the MFT lens mount shift caused issues when pulling a focus on the Veydra lens, Meike is going to have the same issue, as both have stiff, dampening on focus ring, unless Meike changed this, bit not from reviews I have read. I also like the Zeiss IQ better, but that is subjective on my part. This is why you need to do your own test.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

dondidnod

PostThu May 21, 2020 9:42 pm

A good example of that vintage look can be found in the trailer here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72506&p=516229&hilit=Pentacon+300#p516229

There are also examples of the Meike 25mm in the thread.

Frazanjum

PostFri May 22, 2020 5:51 am

Denny Smith wrote:The Meike/Veydras are more like a Zeiss lens, with a clean modern look, while the Voigtländer Norton’s are more like a vintage lens look, with a more unique “look” like a Angenieux vs a Leica look. Wide open the Voight’s are softer, with a dream like image quality, and a faster max f/stop, stopped down they sharpen up. Meike’s are less soft wide open, and sharpen up quicker. As to show how one, I would rent the same focal length in each one and do a lens test to see which one you like. Personally I would rather go for a Cine or Voightlander over the Meike (which for personal reasons I would not buy). The SLR Magic Microprime is another interesting Cine type lens worth looking at.

I replaced my Veydra Mini Primes with Zeiss ZF lenses, because of the MFT lens mount shift caused issues when pulling a focus on the Veydra lens, Meike is going to have the same issue, as both have stiff, dampening on focus ring, unless Meike changed this, bit not from reviews I have read. I also like the Zeiss IQ better, but that is subjective on my part. This is why you need to do your own test.
Cheers

Thank you very much Denny for the detailed analysis! Unfortunately most rental locations in the city are closed because of COVID 19... and there are not much outlets have these lenses for rental. I have bought one Meike 16mm but seriously thinking of buying Voigtlander 42.5 and 25 mm and at some point 10.5mm too for interior and architecture!!
the trailer looks great and the description make totally sense in terms of camera sensor megapixels in relation to sharpness of lens!!

Thanks once again
Fraz

Return to Cinematography