pocket cinema viewfinder

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

CliffS

pocket cinema viewfinder

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 6:55 pm

Can Blackmagic make a viewfinder for the pocket cinema 4k,
similar to the one they have for the Ursa mini. It could connect to the hdmi port,
Attach to the top of the camera and be sold as an accessory. The price will have to
Be in line with the cost of the camera. As it is the cost of the one for the ursa is more
Than tge cost of the pocket cinema 4k.

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: pocket cinema viewfinder

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 12:08 am

There is this.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 1:49 am

The excellent micro-OLED BMVF costs hundreds more than the BMPCC4K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Virgile

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 4:51 pm

I believe what we need here is a very small EVF that could attach to a cold shoe mount, and plug... well I have not figured this out yet, but in HDMI maybe, without requiring power other than the one the cable would feed it. It would suck on the battery, sure, but at least, the users interested could turn off their huge screen. I think BM should think of such an accessory. Small, in the 200$ bucks tops, not necessarily the absolute best OLED EVF ever, not the biggest. Just a tiny one, easy to plug in plug out and carry. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would jump on the opportunity to get rid of the huge screen sometimes, and just puck my eye into a tiny EVF. Something like the Ricoh VF-2, maybe a little bigger. It would be amazing.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:05 pm

I agree a Small EVF is needed. But, that EVF is going to need to have at least the same resolution as the camera’s LCD screen (full HD), or it will be disappointing and it will not be able to pull an accurate focus with WA lenses. I tried pulling focus on a 9.5mm lens with the Cineroid Retina screen (a 720 res screen) and it was difficult at that lower resolution. Same lens withnthe BM Ursa EVF was much better and pulling an accurate focus is very doable, and as different as night and day compaired to the Cineroid.

Any new EVF or Monitor is going to need to be OLED, as this is the new standard by which with rest will be judged. Once you try an OLED screen, there is no going back.... ;)

Tony, the VA7 is very nice, but not quite an EFV, eh?

Well Rick, the also excellent Zacuto OLED Gratical Eye cost twice as much! :roll:
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Thomas Schumacher

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:09 pm

Virgile wrote:I believe what we need here is a very small EVF that could attach to a cold shoe mount, and plug... well I have not figured this out yet, but in HDMI maybe, without requiring power other than the one the cable would feed it. It would suck on the battery, sure, but at least, the users interested could turn off their huge screen. I think BM should think of such an accessory. Small, in the 200$ bucks tops, not necessarily the absolute best OLED EVF ever, not the biggest. Just a tiny one, easy to plug in plug out and carry. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would jump on the opportunity to get rid of the huge screen sometimes, and just puck my eye into a tiny EVF. Something like the Ricoh VF-2, maybe a little bigger. It would be amazing.

+1
https://www.gernemehrfilm.de/

rick.lang

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:53 pm

The advantage of something like the Gratical Eye is the easy ability to move off the camera, put it on another camera. It may be useful long after the camera has been replaced. In this thread, it sounds like people want an inexpensive Viewfinder even if compromised that will stay with the camera.

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Yes Rick, until they try using one. :roll:

Nikon did this with its V3 camera, and failed to get consumer approval and Olympus abounded its similar approach on the early mirrorless Pen series MFT Cameras. These little low res EVFs are hard to look through and hard to use.

If you want a small cheap EVF, get a used copy of the original Zacuto EVF, but this only works up to 1080p30 (not 60 or 120 FPS). This is the other issue, you need a good fast refresh rate to display 60 or 120 FPS without any noticeable lag, which you will get with a lower res EVF or monitor. Nikon went with an OLED on its EVF on their new Z6/7 mirrorless Cameras, with a high quality optical lens setup in front, to get a good user experience, similar to looking through an optical viewfinder.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 2:59 am

Sounds like you are enjoying the Z6!

Rick Lang

Denny Smith

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 3:27 am

I wish, it is not out yet, except for initial release test units, probably will not get my camera until next month. The 35mm Nikkor S lens is on at the dealer, he is holding it for me until the camera kit arrives.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 am

Ah, I thought it was a November release.

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography