Viltrox adaptor movement

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Iain Titterington

Viltrox adaptor movement

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 4:09 pm

My viltrox seems to work fine with my BMPCC4K and Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 EF mounts but there is a bit of circular movement that is annoying - as if the lenses can rotate slightly in the mount of the Viltrox. The viltrox is solid in the camera.

Does anyone else have this? can it be fixed/should I try another one or is it just the slack tolerances between mount and lens?

joe12south

Re: Viltrox adaptor movement

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:14 pm

I've heard several similar reports.

Can you confirm whether or not touch focus works with the Viltrox?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Chris Frechette

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 12:21 am

Mine is the same. Camera mount is nice and solid. Lens mount is loose.

Iain Titterington

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 10:09 am

No autofocus as yet

Does any know if the metabones has the same movement?

Cooper

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 am

This seems little odd, is the locking pin on the lens side of the adapter engaged. As mine is rock solid on old canon lenses ef-m2 passed QC 5.5.2018. Still waiting for camera and sigma lens, and the usb hub.

Ryan Payne

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 11:23 am

Yeah they all have a slight maybe 1-2mm of wiggle, annoying if your lens has a stiffer focus ring, I think it just comes down to different tolerances in lens design and finding a nice middle ground. I’ve heard of people putting a thin bit of tape on the speed booster to stiffen it up but I’m not sure if that causes any further issues. Otherwise people use lens supports on rods to keep the lens steady but that’s not always ideal.

Sean van Berlo

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 11:36 am

Mine is rock-steady (with the 18-35 as well), but I seem to be in the minority.

Frank Glencairn

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Nature of photo bayonet lenses. They never as tight as a positiv locking mount.

I usually stick some tape on the fange, to take out every play - works most of the time.
http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/

I told you so :-)

joe12south

PostTue Nov 13, 2018 4:07 pm

- Could someone confirm that neither the EF versions of the Metabones nor the Viltrox are currently supporting "auto" focus?
- Are they correctly reporting aperture?
Dedicated curmudgeon. Part-time artiste.

Michael Geelhoed

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 4:23 am

Just to keep people updated...

I have the Viltrox EF-M2 on bmpcc 4k. Not sure of firmware but purchased last week. bmpcc 4k is updated to latest firmware (6.6).

On Sigma ART 18 - 55 I have aperture control but no focus control. Can't test IS. When I purchased the vendor actually asked me if I intended on focusing manually or not, so obviously they are not that confident...

I also have a little bit of movement, but for me it is the Viltrox to the camera. I get maybe 1mm of movement. Connection between lens and Viltrox is very solid.

I use manual focus and and I will use a plate or rods to connect to the Viltrox via its mount to the camera. So for me it's worth the saving to go Viltrox. Main concern was aperture control as obviously there's no manual control on the Sigma.

I actually had a metabones on my previous camera (bmmcc) and that had the opposite problem: the connection to camera was TIGHT and I always felt nervous forcing it on.

John Griffin

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 9:12 am

To tighten up the lens to adapter connection put a small flat screwdriver into the mount and bend the spring tabs out a bit.

Michael Geelhoed

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 4:14 am

Hmmmm I'm also having problems with infinity focus. Using a Helios 44-2 and a Sigma 18 - 35. Have adjusted the Viltrox as far as I can and can only get to infinity if stopped down to around f4.

EDIT: Leaving the original post for dumb asses like me: I was rotating the camera side element, not the lens side element. Seem to be getting infinity wide open now :)

John Griffin

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 7:48 am

Michael Geelhoed wrote:Hmmmm I'm also having problems with infinity focus. Using a Helios 44-2 and a Sigma 18 - 35. Have adjusted the Viltrox as far as I can and can only get to infinity if stopped down to around f4.

EDIT: Leaving the original post for dumb asses like me: I was rotating the camera side element, not the lens side element. Seem to be getting infinity wide open now :)

The optical group is a single fixed unit so not sure how adjusting one side is different from the other. On the viltrox the only side you can really grip the optical unit from is the lens side.

carlomacchiavello

PostSun Dec 01, 2019 9:19 am

joe12south wrote:- Could someone confirm that neither the EF versions of the Metabones nor the Viltrox are currently supporting "auto" focus?

Are You talk about with sigma or what?
My metabone work fine with autofocus and give me correct aperture with canon lenses.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

John Griffin

PostMon Dec 02, 2019 8:07 am

carlomacchiavello wrote:
joe12south wrote:- Could someone confirm that neither the EF versions of the Metabones nor the Viltrox are currently supporting "auto" focus?

Are You talk about with sigma or what?
My metabone work fine with autofocus and give me correct aperture with canon lenses.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

You have AF on the BMPCC4k with canon EF lenses?

Return to Cinematography