Panasonic-Leica 12-60mm with P4K

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

marcellomazzilli

Panasonic-Leica 12-60mm with P4K

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Somebody is using these lenses with the camera?
I am interested in the STABILIZATION as all the reviews I see on the web show the lens with GH5 that has internal stabilisation and pairs with the lens. I can't seem to find independent tests that show the lens at work with another brand, possibly with P4K.
Does somebody have these lens? Could you post a video focused on stabilisation, panning horizontally and vertically to see if there is jittering, walking straight to see how much the human steps can be masked, etc...?
thanks
Marcello Mazzilli

Denny Smith

Re: Panasonic-Leica 12-60mm with P4K

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:33 pm

I have this lens, and the lens IS works with the BM Micro cameras and my AF100, none of which have in Camera IS. So it should work just fine on the new Pocket 4K, and I was planning on using it with this camera. Great little lens to use with smaller cameras like the new Pocket 4K.

On the GH5, between the camera IS and the lens stabilization, you get a 5-axis stabilization, on the Pocket you are only gong to get three axis, which is what any other in lens stabilization gets.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 5:52 pm

Denny, small point, but I think the lens gives you 3 axis itself and coupled with their camera gives you a total of 5 axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

marcellomazzilli

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 6:23 pm

Denny Smith wrote:I have this lens, and the lens IS works with the BM Micro cameras and my AF100, none of which have in Camera IS. So it should work just fine on the new Pocket 4K, and I was planning on using it with this camera. Great little lens to use with smaller cameras like the new Pocket 4K.

On the GH5, between the camera IS and the lens stabilization, you get a 5-axis stabilization, on the Pocket you are only gong to get two axis, which is what any other in lens stabilization gets.
Cheers

Thanks Denny. I am quite confident it will work... What I don't know is .. how... What to expect quality wise. I also heard that Panasonic, through firmware, corrects also CA, distortions and vignetting. I think is only for photo but I would also like to know about this too.

Any way do you have some video done with the BM and the lens.. panning, moving, .. ?

M
Marcello Mazzilli

Johannes Hoffmann

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 6:39 pm

I have the camera only a view days now and my tests focus on other things at the moment (audio, color, battery). But I can confirm: Stabilisation of the Panasonic-Leica 12-60mm works on the Pocket 4k.

Johannes
Apple M1 Max, 32GB, 32 GB GPU – macOS Monterey
almost retired: MacPro 5.1, 48GB, RX 580 – macOS Mojave

Denny Smith

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks Rick, 3-axis it is, fixed my post. :roll:

I like the IQ from this lens, I used it with both my Oly PenF, and more so on the Micro Cameras. CA is well controlled, it has the Oanny Leica look, smooth roll off on high,ights, not harsh looking like so many new photo lenses. The lens was designed with videography in mind, and is parfocal, and has a stepless iris.
That said, a Panny Leica 42.5 Noct. it is not, but still very useable, uncorrected images from this lens.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 7:25 pm

As I add to my Cinema gear, I am perplexed by the question “Why does my shopping list get longer instead of shorter?” That question is right up their at a metaphysical level with “Why is the expansion of the universe accelerating?” These are both questions that have many many people searching for answers.

Rick Lang

marcellomazzilli

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks to both.
I am getting more and more near to pressing the button BUY.
I don't think I have much alternatives anyway.
I wonder if P4K2 will bring us, together with an NP970 battery and a tilting monitor, a stabilised sensor. :D

I too think they had VIDEO in mind for this lens. But I have a question that might seem too picky. Using parafocal lenses in video is very useful. I zoom tight, set focus, then zoom back to the frame I need. And that's great. But.. with this lens.. aperture changes.. so .. in theory.. if I zoom tight and set focus at f4 then zoom back and find myself at f3 or so, focus might not be exactly pinned. Having a wider angle now the shot will still look in focus but if I was to be picky my focus could be just slightly slightly offset. AM I correct ?
Marcello Mazzilli

David Cherniack

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:04 pm

I can report that the Pana/Leica 12-60 on the P4K works with touch auto focus and touch auto exposure.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

marcellomazzilli

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:46 pm

Ray (that's what it is) wrote:It looks like my post went elsewhere, anyway, I thought I'd mention an alternative lens if OIS isn't a concern.

I received my Olympus 4/3 12-60mm f2.8-4 lens a couple of days ago and I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is, I should have bought this lens years ago. It doesn't AF with the BMPCC4K, but it has full manual focus and the zoom has a 1/4 swing from 12mm to 60mm (very handy).

We had a Koala and baby come into our backyard yesterday, which gave me a chance to try this lens out and I'm very impressed. It lives up to all the reviews given so many years ago, sharp, clear results. As a used lens, it only cost AU$390.

A lot of people aren't aware, or haven't considered, the older 4/3 lenses (even Panasonic had a couple of good ones) and, for video, where AF and C-AF aren't always a major concern, these lenses are well worth considering.

Thanks but I am looking for OIS. I am full of EF lenses that I can keep using on rig with matte box etc.. I just need something when I work handled
Marcello Mazzilli

marcellomazzilli

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

David Cherniack wrote:I can report that the Pana/Leica 12-60 on the P4K works with touch auto focus and touch auto exposure.

great news David. I'd love to see some footage and possibly some pan/tilt shots or some "dolly" walking forward and back trying to follow somebody and keeping the camera still. Have you done anything like that to show?
In any case I would still love to see.. any footage of the combination
Marcello Mazzilli

Steve Holmlund

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

rick.lang wrote:As I add to my Cinema gear, I am perplexed by the question “Why does my shopping list get longer instead of shorter?” That question is right up their at a metaphysical level with “Why is the expansion of the universe accelerating?” These are both questions that have many many people searching for answers.

The two are intrinsically linked (though the math is difficult to follow).

If your shopping list ever contracts, the universe will collapse in on itself.

I’m not worried, however... :D
Last edited by Steve Holmlund on Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Holmlund
Hobbyist
BMPCC, vintage Rokkor lenses, Olympus 12-40 and 12-100, Panasonic 100-300 II
SmallHD Focus, i7 8700k / GTX 1080

marcellomazzilli

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 pm

David Cherniack wrote:I can report that the Pana/Leica 12-60 on the P4K works with touch auto focus and touch auto exposure.

Also.. David.. how does auto-exposure work. Let's say you are full zoom at f4 and need more light.. will pressing the button move ISO.. let's say from 100 to 400 ? Or it works only on the iris ?

thanks, M
Marcello Mazzilli

David Cherniack

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 8:53 pm

marcellomazzilli wrote:

Also.. David.. how does auto-exposure work. Let's say you are full zoom at f4 and need more light.. will pressing the button move ISO.. let's say from 100 to 400 ? Or it works only on the iris ?

thanks, M

Only on the iris. But I'd be more worried about the universe collapsing...What do these guys know that I don't.
David
Resolve Studio latest build
Windows 11 Pro
Decklink Mini Monitor 4k
Intel i9 7960x @ 4 GHz
Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 Water Cooler
Asus x299 Prime Deluxe
64GB 3333 Corsair Dominator ram
1 EVGA RTX 3090 XC3 Card
Areca Thunderbolt3 12 drive Raid

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Steve Holmlund wrote:
rick.lang wrote:As I add to my Cinema gear, I am perplexed by the question “Why does my shopping list get longer instead of shorter?” That question is right up their at a metaphysical level with “Why is the expansion of the universe accelerating?” These are both questions that have many many people searching for answers.

The two are intrinsically linked (though the math is difficult to follow).

If your shopping list ever contracts, the universe will collapse in on itself.

I’m not worried, however...

Those are the insights that keep me awake at night since my financial resources are finite.

Given the Laws of Entropy and Conservation of Momentum, Einstein’s energy equals mass times the square of the speed of light, and the principle that energy is neither created nor destroyed but only may be transformed from one form to another, there’s only one explanation: mass, particularly dark matter, is gradually decaying to dark energy by the law of entropy; the total mass remaining of matter and dark matter is reduced therefore its rate of motion of the visible universe is accelerating due to the conservation of momentum.

This is a very bleak finding given that perhaps 95% of the universe is already dark energy and perhaps only 4% is dark matter and 1% us. If the decay is linear, considering the half life of radioactive materials, matter may have a half life as short as 3.33 billion years since we are 13.8 billion years old. We may only have another... (gone!)

Rick Lang

Return to Cinematography