BMPCC4K focusing not working. Again?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

German_Shelevoi

BMPCC4K focusing not working. Again?

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 4:45 pm

Hello. Yesterday I've bought BMPCC4K from a dealer in Rome. I live in Milan, so had to make this trip to get the camera, as here it was not available.

After I arrived back home and unpacked the device, connected a lens to it - I've found that focus is not working. Neither in automatic mode, nor in manual. Generally it looks like the camera doesn't work together with the lens, or can't connect it. The lens is fine, this is for sure, as I've tested it with the same show-camera at the dealers's store.

I've found the topic, describing the similar problem with the camera here on the forum:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=81629

So it looks like it is a same defect of production.

I've contacted shortly with the dealer, but still don't have the proper answer what to do. He tells that he's waiting for an answer from a "technician".

So what do I need to do to get the working device? Can I change it? Do I need to repair it? Where? Do I need to spend more money to travel to Rome again and return the camera?

Denny Smith

Re: BMPCC4K focusing not working. Again?

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:13 pm

What lens are you using? Have you tried a different lens?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

German_Shelevoi

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 5:17 pm

Denny Smith wrote:What lens are you using? Have you tried a different lens?
Cheers

I have Panasonic LEICA DG Summilux 15mm f1,7 ASPH. I don't have an opportunity to try any other lens. But the one I have, I've tested with the same show-camera at the dealers's store. It was working properly.

Denny Smith

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Then I would say you have a defective camera and you need to either return it (which may take some time getting a replacement) or request a RMA from yiur regional support office (which here in US seems faster, and BM is quickly acting on theses situationswiht a fairly fast turnaround).
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

German_Shelevoi

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 10:35 am

Denny Smith wrote:Then I would say yiu have a defective camera and you need to either return it (which may take some time getting a replacement) or request a RMA from yiur regional support office (which here in US seems faster, and BM is quickly acting on theses situationswiht a fairly fast turnaround).
Cheers

I have already applied to the representative office in Europe. I was sent to tech support. Tech support is silent. The dealer pulled away. I paid the money and got a brick. Even to check the camera at the dealer I have to pay for it. Like, dude, that's your problem. If I bought a mechanical lens I wouldn't know about the problem!

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 5:39 pm

No, no, do not let eye dealer brow best you, EU consumer rights and protection clearlynput this issue in the dealer and BM. Go back to both and demand the camera be fixed or replaced.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

German_Shelevoi

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 6:29 pm

1. I just checked the camera with another micro 4/3 lens. The problem is still in the camera.

2. The dealer replied. He is ready to take the camera and send it to repair or return the money.

3. Tech support responded. I need to send the camera to them with a courier for further investigation or replacement.

So I think what I should do: Take the camera to the dealer so he sends it to repair. Or send it by myself.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 pm

You will get a faster response sending the camera to BM Support, if you want to keep the camera, BM will probably send you out a replacement, as they have done in other similar cases. The Dealer will just add delay, but can act as yiur agent if you prefer that route.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

German_Shelevoi

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 10:26 am

Denny Smith wrote:Yiu will get a faster response sending the camera to BM Support, if you want to keep the camera, BM will probably send you out a replacement, as they have done in other similar cases. The Dealer will just add delay, but can act as yiur agent if you prefer that route.
Cheers

First, I will wait for another response from the support service. Not America. London answers once a day. And I, meanwhile, with the brick on his hands.

David Regenthal

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Sorry to hear of your problem. Mine is similar so I'm adding it here instead of starting a new post...
I could not get focus to work (using Metabones Ultra 0.71x) with Canon 24-70 or 70-200. Also no go with Tokina 11-20 or Sigma 18-35 (perhaps its not supposed to work with those lenses?).

To make matters worse (or perhaps better) I experienced turning the camera on and only getting the red LED without the camera powering up. I had to remove then re-insert the battery for the camera LED to shut down. The next time I activated the power on switch the camera started and appeared to function normally (except for focus). Trying different lenses, three fully charged batteries (two of which are genuine Canon) and the DC power cord that came with the camera I had occasions where the camera would not shut off until I removed the power source. BTW, in the time (12 days) I had the camera it never left my living room.

Finally it came to the point where the camera would not power up . . . tried multiple batteries and the DC power: Nothing--dead. The dealer e-mailed a FED-EX label for return and will send a replacement when they receive their next shipment (expected next week). BTW, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to Texas Media Systems, they have been great in every contact I have ever had with them. TMS is dealing with the dead camera (sending to BlackMagic) without my having to be involved. Pretty cool, I think.
Windows 11 Pro
ASUSTek PRIME B660-PLUS D4 (LGA1700)
Intel i9-12900KF
128GB, nVidia RTX 4000
Samsung SSD 980 Pro 2TB (x3)

German_Shelevoi

PostFri Nov 16, 2018 9:05 pm

David Regenthal wrote:Sorry to hear of your problem. Mine is similar so I'm adding it here instead of starting a new post...
I could not get focus to work (using Metabones Ultra 0.71x) with Canon 24-70 or 70-200. Also no go with Tokina 11-20 or Sigma 18-35 (perhaps its not supposed to work with those lenses?).

To make matters worse (or perhaps better) I experienced turning the camera on and only getting the red LED without the camera powering up. I had to remove then re-insert the battery for the camera LED to shut down. The next time I activated the power on switch the camera started and appeared to function normally (except for focus). Trying different lenses, three fully charged batteries (two of which are genuine Canon) and the DC power cord that came with the camera I had occasions where the camera would not shut off until I removed the power source. BTW, in the time (12 days) I had the camera it never left my living room.

Finally it came to the point where the camera would not power up . . . tried multiple batteries and the DC power: Nothing--dead. The dealer e-mailed a FED-EX label for return and will send a replacement when they receive their next shipment (expected next week). BTW, I would be remiss if I didn't give a shoutout to Texas Media Systems, they have been great in every contact I have ever had with them. TMS is dealing with the dead camera (sending to BlackMagic) without my having to be involved. Pretty cool, I think.

I’ve just sent the camera for repair via DHL today. To be honest, apart from focusing and aperture, the camera had two other problems. The battery cover did not hold and there was a noticeable overexposure in the lower left corner of the screen. The battery compartment is made stupidly, because the battery is not fixed there properly. To be honest, I just wanted to throw the camera out of the window, as I was so upset by all of this. I understand that the camera has no alternative, no same kind of product is in the market, but it's such a shame to make these mistakes in production! I can’t imagine that I would buy an iPhone or iMac, open, and it does not work or something.

Return to Cinematography