Bluetooth Remote

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Csaba Nagy

Re: Bluetooth Remote

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 am

UPDATE. Recording works!

Was programmed to start recording and record for 5 seconds.

Also tried a few other things like changing ISO, etc... and they worked so should be able to do everything the phone apps do.

The button I press resets the micro controller so that delay is both the micro controller initializing and connecting to the camera. I would imagine delay would be quite minimal in an actual button press function.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Csaba Nagy on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Uli Plank

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:14 am

Congrats!
Resolve Studio and Fusion Studio
iMac 2017 Radeon Pro 580 8 GB VRAM and 32 GB RAM

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:22 am

It's a pity that you couldn't safely sell the idea to a Chinese manufacturer like Viltrox or such and get royalties from your design.
https://australianimage.com.au/

Wayne Steven

• Warnings: 1

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 am

Australian Image wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:And hopefully nobody treats you like the other guy was in that other thread.

Good stuff Csaba. You could look at the $5 camera controller/vr remote I mentioned also.

You failed to mention that Csaba is attempting something that is within the bounds of reason..

Shush!, and see how collaboration really works, rather than just distributing disruption. If you really understood, you would be more reasonable and understand what is "within..reason".
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:38 am

Great work Csaba.

Just as I was coming to post, I noticed AI also cottoned onto my older idea of a cheap camera controller. Does the camera protocol support any of these? The previous one gives a fair bit of control.

Thanks again.
Often people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them.

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 1:42 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Australian Image wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:And hopefully nobody treats you like the other guy was in that other thread.

Good stuff Csaba. You could look at the $5 camera controller/vr remote I mentioned also.

You failed to mention that Csaba is attempting something that is within the bounds of reason..

Shush!, and see how collaboration really works, rather than just distributing disruption. If you really understood, you would be more reasonable and understand what is "within..reason".

What have you actually done? Most of the time you sound like Al Gore who claims to have invented the internet. In my past life I've project managed some pretty major scientific projects, which required collaboration with major organisations (think Thales, BAE, CSIRO, ANU and the like). But the difference is that in my projects these were activities based within the bounds of reason.

But back to the thrust of 'cinematography'. Have you ever made any sort of video? All that comes to mind from your posts are people similar to those that habit photography forums, like DPReview, who constantly yarp on about things like 'equivalence' but never take any photographs themselves. These people are all full of theory (amongst other things), but with not an ounce of practical experience or desire to gain any; for them the forums are just an echo chamber.

rick.lang

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 2:56 am

Congratulations, Csaba! It’s like liftoff of an unmanned rocket. When the timing is programmable to near instantaneous, you’ll have a neat product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Robert Baker

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:24 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:UPDATE. Recording works!

Stay tuned.

Nice work. Congrats!
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC4k - JVC GY-LS300 - JVC HM170UA - Canon 80D - DaVinci Resolve 15 - Adobe CC 2018 - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX6 Elements - Izotope Neutron Elements

Csaba Nagy

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 3:36 am

rick.lang wrote:Congratulations, Csaba! It’s like liftoff of an unmanned rocket. When the timing is programmable to near instantaneous, you’ll have a neat product.

;) ;) ;)

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:43 am

Australian Image wrote:
Australian Image wrote:

What have you actually done?

Unpleasantly coming trampling into lots of threads to object with strange arguments, just noise. Being in charge of projects is not collaboration it's being in charge, as you are trying to do to others. If an engineer is not good, they can stick them in administration, and get on with it. Too much "practical" is no good to coming up with new design, you should know that, this is engineering which is straightforward practical or new elaborate design.

Now, see what Csaba is doing and how people are supporting him appropriately, as he explores.

Australian Image

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:58 am

Wayne Steven wrote:
Unpleasantly coming trampling into lots of threads to object with strange arguments, just noise. Being in charge of projects is not collaboration it's being in charge, as you are trying to do to others. If an engineer is not good, they can stick them in administration, and get on with it. Too much "practical" is no good to coming up with new design, you should know that, this is engineering which is straightforward practical or new elaborate design.

Now, see what Csaba is doing and how people are supporting him appropriately, as he explores.

Project management has nothing to do with collaboration? Well, there's a subject that you appear to know nothing about.

Which makes me wonder whether you know anything about film making.

Wayne Steven

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 9:46 am

Think about it?

Dopeytree

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:45 pm

Amazing!!! Where do I send the money? ;)

Csaba Nagy wrote:
rick.lang wrote:Congratulations, Csaba! It’s like liftoff of an unmanned rocket. When the timing is programmable to near instantaneous, you’ll have a neat product.

;) ;) ;)

Dopeytree

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 7:57 pm

Is the button built into the ESP-32? Would is be easy to add another button on slightly longer wire?

What I would try and do is put the button or whole esp-32 in one of these wooden handles. Problem then is power. I guess it's 5v usb?

Csaba Nagy

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 8:08 am

Dopeytree wrote:Is the button built into the ESP-32? Would is be easy to add another button on slightly longer wire?

What I would try and do is put the button or whole esp-32 in one of these wooden handles. Problem then is power. I guess it's 5v usb?

This is where I think we reach phase 2 of a project like this.

My main goal was to just have this working with my Nucleus Nano, but I can certainly see this used in many other ways and I think it would be selfish and wasteful If I couldn’t have others using a system like this.

I still need to further tweak the code, but it’s otherwise fully functional and can access all the same camera settings that are available on the mobile apps.

This is at a point where I’d be more than happy to collaborate and work with the community to develop this further. To create a more usable end product.

I know SmallRig have a codesign program I may pursue with further inquiry, maybe they’d be willing to create handle and do manufacturing, I can provide my code.

Otherwise If anyone other there has some industrial design background and would like to work through creating an end product, please feel free to reach out.

One needs to start considering how users would use something like this, so it can influence design decisions.

Do we include a small oled display and input controls for configuring Bluetooth and camera control? Or no physical input/display at all and use additional WiFi functionality of the chip to let users configure through a smartphone interface?

What is the best form factor? Build it into handle with a rechargeable battery? Make it a small box with simple power input and button?

How many programmable buttons do we include? Include a scroll dial for incrementing camera settings? ( aperture, shutter, ISO, etc….)

Lots of possible answers, would love to hear people's thoughts about a tool like this.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Australian Image

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 8:33 am

As I noted earlier in this thread, what I think is needed is a device that can be attached to a handle, to a rod, hand held etc. It should be reasonably small and with a 1/4" screw thread to allow attachments to be added or for it to be attached to other things.

From my point of view, I'd just want a device that allows the recording to be turned on and off, and maybe the iris to be adjusted, everything else is usually set and forget or easily managed on the touch screen.

The most awkward thing, especially when the camera in on a rig, is turning the recording on/off while you're concentrating on the subject through a field monitor and adjusting focus with a focus wheel. Your free hand is usually controlling the pan/tilt, via the fluid head handle, and that's where an on/off switch would ideally be located and that's all it needs to do.

MarcusWolschon

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 8:41 am

Any idea how to do the pairing?
Since we already have Bluetooth, maybe allow a cellphone-management-app for the LANC-adapter to provide display and keyboard for this process.

What does the camera do if our side reports to not have input and output controls during the Bluetooth pairing process and to only support the Just Works pairing method?

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 2:10 pm

I would go with this board:
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/WEMOS-LOLIN32-V1-0-0-wifi-bluetooth-board-based-ESP-32-4MB-FLASH/32808551116.html
Lolin32 board has a 3,7V Li-ion input with USB charger on board. Able to charge the Li-ion. Also instead of a flat pack li-ion you could use 18650 Li-ion battery to power it.

The Lolin32 takes about 78mA per hour without LED's or displays.
So with a 1000mAh pack. You could run 10+ hours easily on 1 charge. And with a 18650 3000mAh battery 38 hours on 1 charge. :D

User interface could be done on a small Oled screen as done with the nucleous.. But entering the numbers can be a challenge. But ESP32 is very good in hosting websites. So why not make a mode that IF RECords is held while turning it on. The Wifi starts in host mode. You connect your phones wifi on it and enter a default IP address. Then you can there connect to the camera. Hit the number combination of the BMPCC and hit save. The Wifi is turned off, and your BT connection stays online to the camera.. ;)

PM me if you want more info, I have programming and electronic design experience.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

joe12south

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 2:42 pm

1. Pair via a smartphone app. Any on-device interface will be painful to use, and only serve to make the device larger and more expensive.

2. I encourage you to stick with one simple idea through to reality before trying to make everyone happy. Do one thing and do it well. Make the add-on for the Nucleus Nano first, and THEN branch out to something more generic.
Pocketluts: Purpose-built LUT system for the Black Magic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
http://www.pocketluts.com/

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 4:28 pm

joe12south wrote:1. Pair via a smartphone app. Any on-device interface will be painful to use, and only serve to make the device larger and more expensive.

I would go for the Webpage interface. Not an app. Because an app would require knowlage how to write app's, Make an app for android and iPhone, Get trough appl's app certification. Keep updates on your app. Because i have a few app's on my iphone that are not updated anymore by the vendor, rendering them useless as Apple just uninstalls them due to not supported anymore.

This device can serve as a Wifi AP and server a simple webpage. Why not use that system. Because then every device that can log on to a Wifi Ap and is able to open a webpage in a browser would be compatible with this device. :) No special app's, no real hardware specifications needed.. and will even work with laptop's and macbooks in the field if needed. 8-)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Dopeytree

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 6:58 pm

I would keep it simple get it shipping asap. Then maybe make a more fancy one later

Kim Janson

PostThu Jan 31, 2019 7:50 pm

We will look into it also when getting the camera.
LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:35 am

UPDATE. Project is complete! Nucleus Nano controller can now remotely start/stop recording.

Will need some time to really think through how to make this become a viable end product. Will likely share some prototype designs and continue asking the community for feedback.

Created a poll to gather some initial numbers, please respond if you are interested:
http://www.strawpoll.me/17350673

Goal is to keep the form factor is small as possible, using a web interface for initial pairing and for user configuration/customization.

Stay tuned.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Peter J. DeCrescenzo

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:50 am

Nice work, Csaba!

Might it be possible to trigger the Pocket 4K cam's STILLS capture via Bluetooth? Does Blackmagic's SDK "expose" this feature to developers?

The stills function would especially benefit from a remote trigger as a way to prevent camera shake & image blur.

-
http://www.peterdv.com
https://herefortheweather.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/lighting-notes-for-beginners/

Csaba Nagy

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 am

Peter J. DeCrescenzo wrote:Nice work, Csaba!

Might it be possible to trigger the Pocket 4K cam's STILLS capture via Bluetooth? Does Blackmagic's SDK "expose" this feature to developers?

The stills function would especially benefit from a remote trigger as a way to prevent camera shake & image blur.

-

Funny enough, it seems to be the one function absent from the API currently. I can imagine this wouldn't be too difficult for BMD to add in a newer revision of the protocol.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Fabián Aguirre

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:18 am

Wonderful work, Csaba. The lack of a start/stop lanc solution is the single most frustrating aspect of this camera for me. The BMPCC4K has replaced our Ursa Mini when flying Steadicam, and it has given my work, and my back, new life on long shoots as I can shave off pounds while still rigging it up with a mattebox, wireless FF, transmitters, etc. Yet, having to touch the screen when flying to start recording is awkward and, more importantly, pulls me away from the action.

When I flew the Ursa Mini on Steadicam, I simply rigged a basic, one-button, start/stop device onto the gimbal arm (like this https://bhpho.to/2DQ12d4). I would love to see something like that deveoped for the Pocket 4K. Please let us know how we may be able to help (and donate to the cause), whether it’s independently or through a partnership with a company like Smallrig, as you mentioned.

Watching closely, and thanks!
Fabián Aguirre
Cinematographer / Steadicam Operator
www.theunderstory.co

MarcusWolschon

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 am

Csaba Nagy wrote:
Funny enough, it seems to be the one function absent from the API currently. I can imagine this wouldn't be too difficult for BMD to add in a newer revision of the protocol.

There is more then just this.
e.g. selecting the DCI 4K resolution via Bluetooth.

Wayne Steven

PostSat Feb 02, 2019 4:04 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:I know SmallRig have a codesign program I may pursue with further inquiry, maybe they’d be willing to create handle and do manufacturing, I can provide my code.

One needs to start considering how users would use something like this, so it can influence design decisions.

What is the best form factor? Build it into handle with a rechargeable battery? Make it a small box with simple power input and button?

How many programmable buttons do we include? Include a scroll dial for incrementing camera settings? ( aperture, shutter, ISO, etc….)

Lots of possible answers, would love to hear people's thoughts about a tool like this.

Good on you Csaba.

Yes, working with a manufacturer (for reward) is a much better idea then trying to patent the unprotectable on the current design. But you are mving forwards into patentable territory. Going it alone is costly too, as you know.

As for design, normally we get our paper napkin out at the beginning. You should be able to figure it out pretty quickly, as you have experience in holding and operating controls. I personally like eng like controls, and manual and push to auto for everything. I was going do this for my phone video design (not the eng style controls of course).

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:32 am

UPDATE. Video demonstrating how pairing would work with built in early concept web interface.
Speed and ease of use is highlighted.

Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Kim Janson

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:29 am

Cool, but I do not quite get what I am seeing. What is the role of the different devices on the video, have you added some HW, modified what SW?

We are looking for a simple BT to camera Serial interface via witch we could send all the possible commands the camera supports. (HW serial would be prefered if possible one day over the USB C.)

It will be used as part of this system viewtopic.php?f=4&t=66387

The LeViteZer Control SW supports all SDI commands for BMD camera. The BMPCC4K is esentially the same but with limited command set. The Control SW controls also lens and gimbal (Pan/Tilt + roll head with stabilisation). This is an early demo of the complete system

If someone makes a BT module that provides the Serial interface we would be more than happy to use it (instead of developing our own). Also looking for lens control systems. And even better if they could be directly commanded with RS 232 using LeViteZer Protocol and accept 12 to 20V power. That we use in between the devices https://github.com/LeViteZer-Oy/LeViteZer-Protocol

The Pairing we could have on LeViteZer Control SW, extending the LeViteZer protocol for that functionality.

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:41 am

I'd be over the moon to have a Bluetooth controller with one button that did nothing more than turn the recording on and off.

Why does everything have to become complicated?

Kim Janson

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:01 am

The way this treath is evolving, I am pretty confident you will have that, but the question is, is BT recording button really the only thing you want, now WB control, no ISO control, no Sepras or peaking control, no lens control...

Here is mine BMMCC setup :) quite love to have all controls where I want them.
Full%20control.jpg
Full%20control.jpg (216.65 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

The thing I do not much like is the use of BlueTooth. It needs pairing and fails you when you most need it. It is also pain to make a product that has BT, I mean if having it certified and all the BT stuff paid etc. I much prefer HW connections and hope the next version of the camera will have that, or that they make the control available over USB C.

Australian Image wrote:I'd be over the moon to have a Bluetooth controller with one button that did nothing more than turn the recording on and off.

Why does everything have to become complicated?
Last edited by Kim Janson on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:15 am

To help people.

One could use what has been done so far. There are really miniature mobile phones and android devices that could run an app, no need for all this just for on off, but it is about designing for other's needs.

Kim Janson

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:21 am

Yes a smart watch should have all the HW needed for a simple REC functionality and more.

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:29 am

Kim Janson wrote:The way this treath is evolving, I am pretty confident you will have that, but the question is, is BT recording button really the only thing you want, now WB control, no ISO control, no Sepras or peaking control, no lens control...

Absolutely! It's all that I want. I can set everything else up via the touch screen, but when I want to start recording, the only viable option I now have is to use the touch screen. That takes my eye and hand off the controls.

This is my rig (don't know why the image tags aren't working):

https://australianimage.com.au/wp-conte ... pcc-56.jpg

I would also like a wired control, but USB-C might remove the ability to use an SSD. That's why I'm investigating a different 'wired' control.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:35 am

Kim, I brought up simple BM firmware upgrade to enable USB support through normal USB Bluetooth and WiFi standards (they have hardware multimedia controls interface). Linked into macro function selectable from any menu function with discrete profiles for different users/tasks/hardware. Its the way to go. You add to this, WiFi over USB/card interface you get cheap basic monitoring and control (WiFi has interfaces for hardware too, a number of different standards including WiFi direct). They could even setup lifi/infrared over an audio channel, and do lanc codes. If BM does everything they can with a camera, they can try this.

But a future micro version might have a solution. So, as said elsewhere, one could just buy a micro, but what Csaba is doing is a bit more nice.

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:41 am

I'm a bit 'old fashioned' when it comes to some functions. I have simple on/off light switches at home, I don't need to turn them on and off with a smart phone. I don't need a Bluetooth kettle to send a message to my phone when the water's boiled etc.

When I'm using any camera, I usually try and set and forget for each shot or scene and not go about changing settings all the time. I want the iris to be set and adjust via an ND filter if necessary. I want white balance to be set for each scene and leave it at that. I want ISO to be set for each scene.

I want the camera to effectively 'disappear'. I just want the scene to hold my attention.

Kim Janson

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am

On that rig some kind of mechanical remote arangement for the in camera Rec button could be most reliable and simple solution.

Australian Image wrote:
Kim Janson wrote:The way this treath is evolving, I am pretty confident you will have that, but the question is, is BT recording button really the only thing you want, now WB control, no ISO control, no Sepras or peaking control, no lens control...

Absolutely! It's all that I want. I can set everything else up via the touch screen, but when I want to start recording, the only viable option I now have is to use the touch screen. That takes my eye and hand off the controls.

This is my rig (don't know why the image tags aren't working):

https://australianimage.com.au/wp-conte ... pcc-56.jpg

I would also like a wired control, but USB-C might remove the ability to use an SSD. That's why I'm investigating a different 'wired' control.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:50 am

Kim Janson wrote:Yes a smart watch should have all the HW needed for a simple REC functionality and more.

I already implemented that part.
"BMPCC4K Camera Control" supports a REC button on a Smartwatch with all the pairing and higher functionality on the phone.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cc4krecord

I too would really, really like my existing LANC buttons to work on the BMPCC4K as they do on the BMPCC,
so I'm following this discussion closely.

Wayne Steven

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:52 am

Ai, you can usually set up a remote trigger attached to a control or software function on a phone, there is one that even operates through the headphone jack of older apple phones (run a cable). There are apps that manage these configurations that might cone with the device. So, if the phone app maps to a physical control or multimedia software interface, one of these apps might direct the commands through there to the main app. Look for phone camera devices on amazon. I posted one before.

MarcusWolschon

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 10:53 am

Kim Janson wrote:On that rig some kind of mechanical remote arangement for the in camera Rec button could be most reliable and simple solution.

A simple bowden tube from an old analog camera would work but you need to find an attachment point.
Made for a specific camera cage this could work out but it would block your finger from using the REC button on the camera and maybe even the other buttons neatby.

VladMafteiu

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 5:30 pm

Would this work with the Tilta Nucleus-M too? It would be nice if the record button on the handle and main controller would work fine.

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:00 pm

The last thing anyone needs is another touch screen device to control the camera, whether via a cable or not. There is already an iPhone and Android app that does all of this, as well as the touch screen on the camera itself.

What is needed is a remote with tactile buttons to control the camera's features. It can offer very basic or very complex control, but it has to be such that you do not have to look at the control to operate the functions (it becomes a muscle memory operation). To do anything else is just making more of the same.

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Australian Image wrote:The last thing anyone needs is another touch screen device to control the camera, whether via a cable or not. There is already an iPhone and Android app that does all of this, as well as the touch screen on the camera itself.

What is needed is a remote with tactile buttons to control the camera's features. It can offer very basic or very complex control, but it has to be such that you do not have to look at the control to operate the functions (it becomes a muscle memory operation). To do anything else is just making more of the same.

This is still very much possible, It will have to be different form factor than the one's you've linked too that look to run off coin cell power. Likely larger and will need to be powered, 5v usb power.

The need to pair the device with a code has made designing this in a minimal way very difficult.

You have two options:
-Mini screen with tiny buttons for entering code
-Wifi interface for entering code

Both have merits, neither is necessarily cheaper or more expensive or more complex than the other.

Wifi interface I feel is the right way to go, it's there when you need it for doing pairing the first time and can be left completely unused afterwards. Where as a mini screen will take up precious form factor when it will likely be unused for 99% of the time and you need more buttons to actual let you enter the code in addition to the single rec button.

So the use of a smartphone is necessary evil, but you'll only ever need to use it once to do the initial pairing. after that it connects automatically by itself.
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 8:59 pm

How it links is neither here nor there, the important issue for me which is why I started the thread, is that it's simple to operate and can be done intuitively once you've used it a few times.

These are already being made, but none specifically for the BMPCC4K: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356967-REG/zhiyun_tech_gmb_b26_bluetooth_wireless_finger_remote.html. There are many other examples and they aren't large or expensive.

Kim Janson

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:15 pm

I was thinking that you need it for gimbal, but the kind of rig you have, why not just mechanical link to one of the rec buttons. No worries about battery, pairing or failing BT.

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Kim Janson wrote:I was thinking that you need it for gimbal, but the kind of rig you have, why not just mechanical link to one of the rec buttons. No worries about battery, pairing or failing BT.

I'm actually working on such a thing right now, but a Bluetooth remote would allow some versatility for different shooting situations, or if I separate the rig into two (as I can) to make it smaller and use it on say a slider. A mechanical cable means more things to undo and reconnect, as well as the issue of making it easy to operate. Given that such Bluetooth remotes are in every day use, it's not really a big ask.

Csaba Nagy

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Australian Image wrote:How it links is neither here nor there, the important issue for me which is why I started the thread, is that it's simple to operate and can be done intuitively once you've used it a few times.

These are already being made, but none specifically for the BMPCC4K: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356967-REG/zhiyun_tech_gmb_b26_bluetooth_wireless_finger_remote.html. There are many other examples and they aren't large or expensive.

My goal with a simple controller would be a small box with micro usb port for power and 1 button button on it. Don't think it can get any more intuitive than that. ;)

Mounting would need be something I'd leave to the user as there can be many arguments made for what the ideal mounting method would be. ( 1/4" mount, 15mm rod clamp style, etc.. )
Csaba Nagy
Filmmaker
BMPCC4K

Australian Image

PostSun Feb 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Csaba Nagy wrote:My goal with a simple controller would be a small box with micro usb port for power and 1 button button on it. Don't think it can get any more intuitive than that. ;)

Mounting would need be something I'd leave to the user as there can be many arguments made for what the ideal mounting method would be. ( 1/4" mount, 15mm rod clamp style, etc.. )

I gathered that you were working on a simple start/stop recording feature, but others started to chime in suggesting that it needed everything including the kitchen sink.

A rechargeable battery, with the option of running it from micro-USB, would be best so that you're not committed to a cable.

The housing should offer a 1/4" 20 thread so that it could be adapted to just about any sort of fixture.

Wayne Steven

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 4:19 am

Csaba, maybe it needs a new thread "Designing physical controller for Pocket 4k"?

There is an obvious solution, using what you have to drive physical controls used on the existing micro cinema bus, and lanc. In that way, such products can be linked, or even with 1-2 inch mobile phone and some USB IO board, which probably exists somewhere, with a very small thin swappable recharge battery.
Last edited by Wayne Steven on Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
PreviousNext

Return to Cinematography