BMPCC4K Screen 'white mark' issue

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 5:48 am

Hey guys,

I just noticed a white mark on the bottom left corner of the screen of my BMPCC 4K.

The camera was in a case and in a cupboard since last time I used it and this mark wasn't on it before so not sure what has happened.

Has anyone experience the same issue ?

Cheers,
Florent
Attachments
IMG_0606_1.jpg
IMG_0606_1.jpg (674.9 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
IMG_0605_1.jpg
IMG_0605_1.jpg (901.63 KiB) Viewed 3455 times
https://www.oftwolands.com
Cameras: OG BMPCC, BMPCC6K, BMPCC6K PRO, BMCC6K
Past: UMP4.6K, BMPCC4K
Computers: Mac Studio M1 Max & MacBook Air 15 M2

Dean Fisher

Re: BMPCC4K Screen 'white mark' issue

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 am

Florent Piovesan wrote:Hey guys,

I just noticed a white mark on the bottom left corner of the screen of my BMPCC 4K.

The camera was in a case and in a cupboard since last time I used it and this mark wasn't on it before so not sure what has happened.

Cheers,
Florent
I'm experiencing this too, in the exact same spot. I'm afraid of having to send the camera out again, I already had to send it to BM once since the buttons came installed upside down...

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:35 am

Dean Fisher wrote:

Cheers,
Florent
I'm experiencing this too, in the exact same spot. I'm afraid of having to send the camera out again, I already had to send it to BM once since the buttons came installed upside down...

Oh that was you ?! Bad luck :(
Yeah I don't really want to send mine either.. Kinda need it.

Interesting we have the same issue though. Has the camera always been like that for you ?

Dean Fisher

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 am

Florent Piovesan wrote:
Dean Fisher wrote:

Cheers,
Florent

Oh that was you ?! Bad luck :(
Yeah I don't really want to send mine either.. Kinda need it.

Interesting we have the same issue though. Has the camera always been like that for you ?
I believe it has, though to be honest I can't be sure. When I noticed it I don't think it was on day 1, but maybe it was there all along? A bit frustrating. I first popped it out of the box 1 month ago.

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 6:48 am

Yeah ok, I've shot regularly for nearly 2 months now and havent't noticed it before and I have quite a lot of photos of it without the mark until up to 2 weeks ago maybe.

rick.lang

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 10:37 am

See post #21 “white corner” in the thread BMPCC 4K issues:

You’ll likely need to return the camera.

BMPCC 4k issues
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

Brian Nager

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 8:53 pm

I’m experiencing the same thing too on my Bmpcc4k. Nothing hit it... no damage. It’s just been progressively getting worse. Mine has the white light coming in from the whole left side.

Eli hershko

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 9:02 pm

Also having this issue. I am wondering if it is pretty common? I am in communications with support.
Eli Hershko
http://www.conjuredvisions.com
http://pro.imdb.com/name/nm2860666/

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 10:00 pm

Brian Nager wrote:I’m experiencing the same thing too on my Bmpcc4k. Nothing hit it... no damage. It’s just been progressively getting worse. Mine has the white light coming in from the whole left side.

That's pretty bad.. Ugh :(

Florent Piovesan

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm

Eli hershko wrote:Also having this issue. I am wondering if it is pretty common? I am in communications with support.

It looks like it is common.. Really don't want to send my back though , going on a trip soon. So annoying..

Wayne Steven

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:48 am

Are you talking about the light, that's backlight bleed. Used to be an issue on older technology. It might be just physical movement, or and thermal heat expansion, causing the mechanism to drift and let light through. It can get worse over time, and it can be on some most or all cameras to varying degrees over time. Replacing it might just get another camera that does the same. You'll have to check with BM. But, it shouldn't be there on latest technology. If my phone's screen doesn't do it with nocks and all, on maybe $10 screen, then it shouldn't either.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Florent Piovesan

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Wayne Steven wrote:Are you talking about the light, that's backlight bleed. Used to be an issue on older technology. It might be just physical movement, or and thermal heat expansion, causing the mechanism to drift and let light through. It can get worse over time, and it can be on some most or all cameras to varying degrees over time. Replacing it might just get another camera that does the same. You'll have to check with BM. But, it shouldn't be there on latest technology. If my phone's screen doesn't do it with nocks and all, on maybe $10 screen, then it shouldn't either.

Yeah exactly, that's really bad to have this today. So many different issues popping up with the BMPCC 4K lately, it's a bit worrying..

Dean Fisher

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 pm

Florent Piovesan wrote:
Wayne Steven wrote:Are you talking about the light, that's backlight bleed. Used to be an issue on older technology. It might be just physical movement, or and thermal heat expansion, causing the mechanism to drift and let light through. It can get worse over time, and it can be on some most or all cameras to varying degrees over time. Replacing it might just get another camera that does the same. You'll have to check with BM. But, it shouldn't be there on latest technology. If my phone's screen doesn't do it with nocks and all, on maybe $10 screen, then it shouldn't either.

Yeah exactly, that's really bad to have this today. So many different issues popping up with the BMPCC 4K lately, it's a bit worrying..
In actuality, we are the beta testers!

We of course will put up with shortcomings because the price point is so low for what you get. I know some people can only take so much, but as long as it's covered by BM I won't complain. Super happy with the performance of the camera so far.

I do wonder though if they would save money with tighter quality control / testing VS having a mass of people sending cameras back to them. I'm sure they've worked it out and it's cheaper to do it this way to keep the price as low as it is.

rick.lang

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I’m all for greater quality control. But even that can have a limit, for example, something may work for a week and then fail. Certainly at this price point you cannot thoroughly check each camera, but you might make random checks rather than shipping every item that is coming off the asset line. They likely do a visual inspection, but we’ve had a couple of cameras with upside-down keys anyway slip through.

Rick Lang

Florent Piovesan

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 12:05 am

Dean Fisher wrote:
Florent Piovesan wrote:

In actuality, we are the beta testers!

We of course will put up with shortcomings because the price point is so low for what you get. I know some people can only take so much, but as long as it's covered by BM I won't complain. Super happy with the performance of the camera so far.

I do wonder though if they would save money with tighter quality control / testing VS having a mass of people sending cameras back to them. I'm sure they've worked it out and it's cheaper to do it this way to keep the price as low as it is.

I completely understand what you're saying and don't get me wrong, I love the camera and what BM are doing.
But on the other hand we are buying a product that is made to create content and potentially make money so we need to be able to rely on it regardless of the price. It isn't like a TV that is for pure entertainment. This is already my second unit too..

Wayne Steven

PostWed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 am

The light thing is not a deal breaker fur me, but it does hinder your estimation of what the scene looks like.

But these units are probably tested by the original manufacturer, so it should be a known fault. Then you have had maybe 6 months testing in house, and hopefully a dummy thermal system set up to test the affects on components like the display, plus a knock and pressure system to handle simulation. Of handeling of the equipment (I imagine they are scrambling to implement them now). When combined you can get an idea of these things by continuous testing for 6 months, and after released ongoing. I remember I'm the 80's some car, maybe the Saturn, they had a robot rig simulating opening and closing a door a million and a half times, or something, over a year and a half, to check quality.

At this stage, what you have got might not get better. It's either going be fixable or it's not.

I don't think it's unreasonable to get something as good as in a mid range phone (over $100). I could put this old G5 in a very Google and get wonderful pictures despite it's colour balance issues. The thing has been knocked a fair bit and heated etc, accidentally been left in the sun in the phone holder, but no bleed.
aIf you are not truthfully progressive, maybe you shouldn't say anything
bTruthful side topics in-line with or related to, the discussion accepted
cOften people deceive themselves so much they do not understand, even when the truth is explained to them

Alomar

PostSun Nov 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Cheers,
Florent

I had the same exact issue right after I updated my camera to the latest update moments ago.

Unfortunately, now I can't shoot in lower resolutions without a windowed sensor (cropped) and I have to live with this bright spot on my camera!

any idea how to return the firmware to 6.2.1?

I prefer that update on whatever I have now because most of what I shoot is in 1920x1080.

Return to Cinematography