What to do when you brick the UMP during the update?

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Eugene Afanasiev

PostMon Nov 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Windows started updating in the middle of the update 6.0 from beta, right at 45 %.
After that the camera isn't launching at all.
So what are the steps, how to repair it?
__
--[[BMD's cameras and Resolve all-post workflow evangelist
My old stuff: http://www.youtube.com/rebelorelse
Debug: Asus ROG Duo GX550 i9 10980 48Gb RAM RTX2080MaxQ DaVinci Resolve Studio / Fusion Studio Latest Version]]--

Denny Smith

Re: What to do when you brick the UMP during the update?

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 1:41 am

Yet another reason Not it use a Windows computer for firmware updates! You should contact your local BM Support Office, and they can walk you through what to do. ;)
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bjornzitting

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi
Always a risk updating firmware
My preferred steps if possible:

- Download to local machine
- Use a portable machine with charged battery and power supply
- Make sure the 'camera' or other hw has a fully charged battery and connect charger/power supply if possible (what I did with the UMP)

The 'safest' method in my view is to just copy the new firmware on a memory card and not involve a computer in the actual update, some hardware works that way

Why install a proprietary application at all on the computer just to update firmware somewhere else?

Nikon does a nice job here with the camera reading firmware from card
Sony (on a6300 at least) does an awful job, download application for the computer, requiring computer to have usb connection and allow their application 'full permission' on the computer
Björn

Denny Smith

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Well, Updste systems that allow the use of the memory card are good, Small HD does this also. But BM requires a computer running fairly recent OS, and download rhe BM Updater application (which comes with the firmware upload from BM).

What you can do to prevent Widows or any other auto updating scheme from happening, is once you have the firmware update downloaded from BM on your computer, disconnect the computer from the internet (physically unplug the internet connection or put the computer in “airplane” mode turning off WiFi or other external links). This will prevent any interruption during the update process. Also, attach a fully charged battery and plug the camera into the mains power, so you have power to the camera show the mains fail, but not relying solely on a battery.

That said, once the camera is bricked, you need to contact Supoirt for help.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Denny Smith wrote:
That said, once the camera is bricked, you need to contact Supoirt for help.
Cheers

And if you have a good advocate call Microsoft and fear a bit their bad developers

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

ricardo marty

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 7:04 pm

You can also configue win 10 to stop updating.

Ricardo
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

carlomacchiavello

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 8:27 pm

ricardo marty wrote:You can also configue win 10 to stop updating.

Ricardo

Not so simple, you can start from control panel and you end to edit regedit, but often there are service that bypass your setup and update
The only way to avoid update is to disconnect from internet completely that is not a so bad idea if you work seriously. Every facility that I know keep working computer far from internet, to have stable configuration under win or Mac. Then they have internal lan to move file on computer when they need to go out on the net.
You could discover how computer is speed up from disconnection, tons of service under windows and demons under Mac that stop to communicate, work and use most of your resource from your computer instead to user them to edit, post process, animate 3d and more.

ricardo marty

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm

All you got to do is change settings to metered and then windows will not update until you let it.

Ricardo Marty
DVR_S 18.5, Asus ProArt PD5, 2.5 GHz i7 16-Core 64GB of 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM GeForce RTX 3070 1TB M.2 NVMe Window 11, LenovoLegion 2.6 i7 10750h 2.6, 64gb 3200mhz, rtx 2060, 1tb ssd M.2 Win 11 BenQ PD3420Q, Sony FS700R, Bmp4k, Sony A6700. PreSonus AudioBox

carlomacchiavello

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 7:16 am

ricardo marty wrote:All you got to do is change settings to metered and then windows will not update until you let it.

Ricardo Marty

No Ricardo is not enough from a lots of time, only first win 10 version, many little updates are did equally on actual win10, unfortunately. I talk about win 10 pro iso downloaded from ms web site.

Usually
Small trick for W10 users who do not want automatic updates (one that disrupts during work) but be warned by a popup. Afterwards, the update can be done when you want.
- key WIN + 'R'
- open: gpedit.msc + OK
- Computer Configuration => Administrative Template => Windows Components => Windows Update => Service Configuration Automatic Updates => 2 - Download and Installation Notification + OK + GPEDIT exit
- restart the PC

Another way is to add a regedit voice that at actual time I not remember But a small googling appear.

The worst thing of win10 is that every time you install it is different beast and you cannot stay too long older or you cannot install driver etc of new hardware.

Denny Smith

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 7:31 pm

Yes, I agree, the only really safe computer is one not connected to continuously to the Internet. Both of my audio/video editing stations are not connected unless I want to add an update. They sit on a LAN only for file management and disk data storage. Also, my LAN internet connection is through a physical Firewall box.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

Return to Cinematography