BMPCC 4K power

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

Joakley

BMPCC 4K power

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 7:55 pm

Anybody who has received the new camera figure out a good battery, mount, cable set up?
One that doesn’t require using a dummy battery.

I’ve never used V mount batteries or anything so I’m looking for a set up that works for the new pocket 4K.

The V mount plate
The actual battery
The Dtap to 2 pin (whatever the connection is called)
Am I forgetting anything?

Just want to be able to power this thing, and maybe an external monitor.

Joakley

Re: BMPCC 4K power

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 2:39 am

Ray (that's what it is) wrote:Rather than going through it in detail again, have a look at what I did here: https://australianimage.com.au/blackmag ... a-4k-pt-3/, it covers just about everything and then some (if you're looking for moderately priced items). I also use the Blackmagic cable set for D-tap power.

Ok, so this Rolux battery and plate...plus the dtap cabke. And you are pretty much all set? And you were able to plug the monitor in as well?

Also, there were no other places to buy these things from? I don’t use eBay

Lesha_kvaz

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 11:30 am

Depends of shooting style that you use. Mostly handheld, mostly tripod or just a gimbal.
I decided to use V-mount solution. Because i am not shooting documentary and run n gun stuff.
Portable charger on Aliexpress cost around 20$
Battery plate from 10$ and up
Cable and battery.

Joakley

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 9:51 pm

Lesha_kvaz wrote:Depends of shooting style that you use. Mostly handheld, mostly tripod or just a gimbal.
I decided to use V-mount solution. Because i am not shooting documentary and run n gun stuff.
Portable charger on Aliexpress cost around 20$
Battery plate from 10$ and up
Cable and battery.

Any exact products you could provide a link for?
I’ve never used aliexpress. Is this like alibaba? Never used it, only seen it referenced.
And there are different brands that I’ve never really heard of...not sure if they’re ok or complete garbage. No real way of knowing.

Joakley

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm

I keep seeing plates and batteries on this aliexpress for way less than I’ve been seeing on B&H or amazon.

Why?

Joakley

PostSun Nov 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Ray (that's what it is) wrote:
Joakley wrote:I keep seeing plates and batteries on this aliexpress for way less than I’ve been seeing on B&H or amazon.

Why?

B&H and other such stores add a premium because of the additional cost of having a bricks and mortar store, as well as all the logistics costs, inventory, labour, return policies etc. Those costs are much higher than in the US, or Australia for that matter. It still doesn't excuse some the the exorbitant price differences for some products.

So these are legitimate dealers and products?
Some of the descriptions look like those scam “Nigerian prince” emails. Bad spelling, barely coherent, etc.

dondidnod

PostSat Dec 08, 2018 9:53 pm

I just got my Ringteam DC 12V NP-F Battery Power Supply System Mount Adapter Plate Holder for BMPCC 4K. With a Sony NP-F970 I was able to mount it to my Smallrig full cage between the T5 SSD holder and the NATO handle on top. The BMPCC 4K shows AC on the display. It was only $40 from Aliexpress with free shipping. It took 26 days by boat though.

Uli Plank

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 5:06 am

Do they really come by boat? Small items from China usually arrive in Europe within days.
No, an iGPU is not enough, and you can't use HEVC 10 bit 4:2:2 in the free version.

Studio 18.6.5, MacOS 13.6.5
MacBook M1 Pro, 16 GPU cores, 32 GB RAM and iPhone 15 Pro
Speed Editor, UltraStudio Monitor 3G, iMac 2017, eGPU

dondidnod

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 3:43 pm

They do if you live near a major container port (Oakland, CA) that does a lot of business in the Pacific rim.

John Paines

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm

dondidnod wrote:I just got my Ringteam DC 12V NP-F Battery Power Supply System Mount Adapter Plate Holder for BMPCC 4K. With a Sony NP-F970 I was able to mount it to my Smallrig full cage between the T5 SSD holder and the NATO handle on top. The BMPCC 4K shows AC on the display. It was only $40 from Aliexpress with free shipping. It took 26 days by boat though.

Sorry if I missed it, but what did you do for the P4K cable connection?

Gavin_c_clark

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 6:25 pm

I’ve been using mine with the blackmagic cable pack, dtap straight from battery into the camera, keeping the battery in my pocket.

I do have lots of bits to rig it out but I’m quite enjoying having nothing but the camera in my hands

dondidnod

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Since the Ringteam system is for the BMPCC 4K it comes with the 5.5x2.5MM to Weipu FS6 power cable needed. They also sell that cable separately for $28.

John Paines

PostSun Dec 09, 2018 7:54 pm

Yes, I see now it's a separate item, specifically for the P4K. How much time are you getting on the P4K with a 970 battery?

Sportivod

PostTue Mar 26, 2019 1:58 pm

No battery grip is a deal breaker for me. The whole portability factor depends on there being reasonable battery life, without having to create an entire rig system. There really is no excuse for not having something available!

colourdesk

PostSun Apr 21, 2019 3:17 am

Sportivod wrote:No battery grip is a deal breaker for me. The whole portability factor depends on there being reasonable battery life, without having to create an entire rig system. There really is no excuse for not having something available!
They announced a Battery Grip for it an NAB a few weeks ago

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oceanus

PostSat Apr 27, 2019 6:54 pm

After some careful scrutiny and research, I decided to back this battery solution. It seems very innovative and a reasonable price. It would be a shame if it didn't get fully funded as many people, including me, are really looking forward to receiving this. Check it out:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vide ... #/comments

Return to Cinematography