P4K gimbal reports -- collected here

The place for questions about shooting with Blackmagic Cameras.
  • Author

John Paines

P4K gimbal reports -- collected here

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm

If I may, this thread is for (and **only** for) reports of successful and failed installations, each answering (we hope) at least four questions, in the case of success:

1) was additional mounting hardware required (plates, counterbalances, etc.) and, if so, please specify,

2) what lens and/or lens adapter?

3) how well does the unit balance with motors off? Does it hold position up, down, 45 degrees to the left and 45 degree tilted up?, etc.

4) any known limitations, are all gimbal modes and orientations available?

Will get it going with one report, below.

John Paines

Re: P4K gimbal reports -- collected here

PostMon Nov 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Zhiyun Crane v2 -- FAIL ["Crane 2" is a different and untested model]

Don't own this gimbal, but tried it. P4K can be mounted with the help of a QR plate or with a product like this:

https://www.camvate.com/camvate-1-4quot ... p1578.html

but is too heavy on the left side to achieve acceptable balance. It **might** be made to work with a counterbalance, but on the face of it, not a hopeful match.

Que Thompson

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Just got my Ronin S on Saturday. The Pocket 4k is not an easy balance using Voigtlander lenses. I haven't gotten it properly balanced yet. I'm thinking I may have to get a lighter lens.

Marshall Harrington

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 pm

I'm using a Ronin S with Veydra's. So far the 12mm and the 16mm have been my favorites though used a 50 recently very happily.

It was frustrating that DJI chose to release the stabilizer with no accessories. Not even the most basic ones. You really couldn't use it to anywhere near it's potential. Even so I think that it shows a great deal of promise.

I've added a few items from SmallRig. While waiting for CFast cards to arrive I'm using a T5 which I've got rigged way out to the right to work as a counter balance of sorts. Funky at best but it works. I don't see avoiding the need for some right hand counter balance and am looking for a solution. Pretty sure SmallRig is already working on it.

Now that DJI has released a bunch of new accessories things look to be shaping up. The focus motor is a must. It would be great to have a 12V power cable to run the camera from. It's my understanding that they are working on it. I'm dreaming that they might come out with something similar to Tilta in the dual handle solution. With focus and other operating adjustments built into the handles.

It is heavy. Been thinking about a MiniMax but from what I here you really could just skip the stabilizer for most shots once you have it.

All in all I'm please just wish it would happen faster.

John Paines

PostMon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 pm

Marshall Harrington wrote:Now that DJI has released a bunch of new accessories things look to be shaping up. The focus motor is a must. It would be great to have a 12V power cable to run the camera from. It's my understanding that they are working on it. I'm dreaming that they might come out with something similar to Tilta in the dual handle solution. With focus and other operating adjustments built into the handles.

I'll likely disrupt my own thread with this comment, but for the life of me, I don't understand why folks want all these electronics, for a solo operated gimbal.

The simplest way to use a gimbal is to calculate your hyperfocal distance, and stay within it. This is usually pretty easy during the day, with a wide lens. This idea that you'll be able to pull focus, change the irs, etc. etc. etc., in addition to keeping your eye on the talent, concentrating on your moves, humoring the gimbal's shortcomings, contemplating your future physical therapy bills, all the the while trying to maintain a good framing and not walk into a lamppost, is way over-ambitious if you ask me.

Marshall Harrington

PostTue Dec 04, 2018 12:19 am

I agree and disagree. I spent a few hours last week on two shots. It was part of a two camera shoot of a person speaking. One camera was tripod fixed with a 35mm. The second camera was a 50mm with a gimbal. It was moving about just a little. Much more organic movement then a tripod would allow. The Mini Max would have handled it nicely on its own but I don't have one. The gimbal worked really well. I was easily able to change the focus as I shot. The focus motor when it arrives will do a better job of that.

I have been using a 12mm hyperfocusing. The focus motor will open up more opportunities for this too.

But it will never replace a shallow slice of focus shot by a tight team moving the camera and pulling focus.

I have not used it but have friends using the Tilta Nucleus who really like it. They claim they're getting really good results. It goes both ways.

I can see the S functioning along those lines if they come out with those sorts of accessories.

Que Thompson

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 am

Anyone know of a good cheese plate option to offset the pocket 4K on a ronin s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mico p

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Anyone know of a good cheese plate option to offset the pocket 4K on a ronin s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve seen several videos on YouTube that say that the supplied plate to the ronin s makes mounting the pocket 4K possible if that’s what you’re looking for.

Matt Sharp

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 4:24 pm

Pocket 4k with Speed booster Ultra0.71x, and Sigma 18-35 balanced on a Ronin S

1) was additional mounting hardware required (plates, counterbalances, etc.) and, if so, please specify,
I used the riser plate that's included with the Ronin S, and then modified the front of the quick release plate, to allow the camera plate to slide in from the back without affecting the safety stops.

2) what lens and/or lens adapter?
Speed Booster Ultra, Sigma 18-35

3) how well does the unit balance with motors off? Does it hold position up, down, 45 degrees to the left and 45 degree tilted up?, etc.
It balanced perfectly. The internal Ronin "Balance Check" comes back Excellent, and it will stay in any position. the camera tray roll balance, and the roll arm are almost completely maxed out though. I've also pre-ordered the DJI focus motor, and plan to get that balanced as well.

4) any known limitations, are all gimbal modes and orientations available?
All modes are available.

I also made a power cable using the flying leads cable from the Pocket Camera 4K DC Cable Pack, and a DJI D Bus cable. Knowing how to use a multimeter, and soldering skills required. Testing the run time only yielded 90 minutes from the Ronin S battery when powering the P4k, and the Gimbal. I'll exclusively use lpe6 batteries and swap often, but have the cable for emergency backup.

Rakesh Malik

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:16 pm

John Paines wrote:This idea that you'll be able to pull focus, change the irs, etc. etc. etc., in addition to keeping your eye on the talent, concentrating on your moves, humoring the gimbal's shortcomings, contemplating your future physical therapy bills, all the the while trying to maintain a good framing and not walk into a lamppost, is way over-ambitious if you ask me.

If you're solo and not planning your shots, then you're spot on.

If you have an AC and you're planning your shots with marks and also have a PA or grip dedicated to helping guide you, then you CAN pull off ambitious shots like this... so having the wireless focus and video is enabling, but requires a team to take advantage of.
Rakesh Malik
Cinematographer, photographer, adventurer, martial artist
http://WinterLight.studio
System:
Asus Flow X13, Octacore Zen3/32GB + XG Mobile nVidia RTX 3080/16GB
Apple M1 Mini/16GB

Tristan Pemberton

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 5:51 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Anyone know of a good cheese plate option to offset the pocket 4K on a ronin s?

I use the SmallRig plate. Works a treat.
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-mount ... -1598.html
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Que Thompson

PostWed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Tristan Pemberton wrote:

Thanks, just ordered one.

Que Thompson

PostFri Dec 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Que Thompson wrote:
Tristan Pemberton wrote:

Thanks, just ordered one.

Got the plate in and the camera is balancing perfectly! Thanks again. I also ordered this handle, should get it in tomorrow.

Tristan Pemberton

PostFri Dec 21, 2018 1:02 pm

Que Thompson wrote:Got the plate in and the camera is balancing perfectly! Thanks again. I also ordered this handle, should get it in tomorrow.

Good to hear. Such good value for money too.
Director
Australia
www.flywirefilms.com

Return to Cinematography